• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I stop bad habits?

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Link to original post: [drupal=5306]How do I stop bad habits?[/drupal]

I have many bad habits when I play brawl, these are the ones i can think of.
I always try to shield grab everytime someone is near me and im in my shield. I usually get punished for this. I main MK and Lucario, i dont think lucario has a good grab range.
Whenever I think someone is going to approach I use a move. Sometimes my opponents counter this by going near me, waiting for me to do something, and punishing it.
When I miss a grab, i try to get another grab.
I know about all these bad habits when im playing, but I never stop doing them. Can someone please try to help?

^Smash64 and Melee are pretty good games

Anyway, onto the subject at hand....
One method that may or may not work.

Get into fights with a low level computer and do not play it like a regular match. Walk up to the CPU and shield, then when they get close, use your character's out of shield options. In the case of Lucario do something like shield -> jump -> fair/dair.

Keep repeating this process of only using a single option and do nothing else. If you do this for a couple of days you should find yourself not using simply grab all the time.

You should do this repetition with other options like shield drop -> dash attack. Sometimes a character's aerials from shield are do not have enough range horizontal range or vertical. If you fully shield Snake's Ftilt1 -> ftilt2, then you have enough time to shield drop dash attack as Meta Knight.

To break your muscle memory and habits, you really have to apply more some mental focus. Thinking ahead and planning your next move is a great way of doing this actually.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
^Smash64 and Melee are pretty good games

Anyway, onto the subject at hand....
One method that may or may not work.

Get into fights with a low level computer and do not play it like a regular match. Walk up to the CPU and shield, then when they get close, use your character's out of shield options. In the case of Lucario do something like shield -> jump -> fair/dair.

Keep repeating this process of only using a single option and do nothing else. If you do this for a couple of days you should find yourself not using simply grab all the time.

You should do this repetition with other options like shield drop -> dash attack. Sometimes a character's aerials from shield are do not have enough range horizontal range or vertical. If you fully shield Snake's Ftilt1 -> ftilt2, then you have enough time to shield drop dash attack as Meta Knight.

To break your muscle memory and habits, you really have to apply more some mental focus. Thinking ahead and planning your next move is a great way of doing this actually.
Thankyou.
I think that would help a lot. Im very new to lucario and dont know a lot about his out of sheild options.

Did you find this blog because i reported a post?

Huh?

I found this blog since it was the first thing that showed up in User Blogs while I was looking up the smash index. I usually browse the stuff that gets updated most recently.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
For Lucario;

if your opponent comes near you try jab1, roll dodge or IF they spot dodge Jab1,jab2, jab 3 or jump fair/fair or fair,dair.

If your opponent is trying to roll to get inside; wait till JUST before their roll dodge ends -->utilt, jump, bair high%. Or Utilt, jump nair low%. or jump dair

If they are sliding in their shield toward you; grab or side-b or if your predict a grab from the opponent; spot dodge, punish.

If their sitting in their shield for sometime the opponent probably shields abit too much when they should be pshielding. Punish this behavior accordingly with grabs if they're close.

I have a habit of peppering my opponents with small aura sphere balls as a way to punish people from mid/far screen. It usually catches people off guard, but when they start pshielding it, i mix up my AS tossing game. This is how you should mentally approach your problem, via thinking about a different mix up versus grabbing. How you mix it up coincides with how you understand your characters normals AND their reach and knockback. Take some time to think about the different punishes i listed above, and think about the hitboxes used.....think about how they work in tandem together. Think about their start up..where the hitbox comes out and where it ends.

TL?

Smash Ace
When you play you need to be aware of the mistakes you typically make and really concentrate on not making them. Just remember, it will take time but you'll have it down eventually if you keep trying. It's good that you're aware of these habits and also good that your opponents are good enough to punish you for doing them so you learn not to do them.

I would actually not reccomend playing more computers as they will get beat by or not correctly punish bad habits. They are also not random enough, they always do the same thing when put into the same situation so they train you to expect opponents to act a certain way.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Thankyou everyone. People on this forum helped me become a much better player very quickly, but im still a terrible player lol.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Choose safer options when on offense, defense, and a neutral position.

Just play safer and don't do dedicated actions unless you have a 9-10 frame reaction time with which to utilise them.

Eat better. Carrots, Nuts (Walnuts and pistachios are my personal favourites), and Spinach are good sources of Vitamins, protiens, and iron, respectively, all of which contribute to more active awareness and focus. Don't eat greasy foods or anything without natural ingredients when training and in tournament. Junk food is fine when you don't need real food, but it hinders and muddles the formulation of adaptive and conditioned processes. It's common sense that bad eating leads to bad habits.

Other than that, just play as safe/homo as possible and you'll do better.

BioDG

Smash Ace
Link to original post: [drupal=5306]How do I stop bad habits?[/drupal]

I have many bad habits when I play brawl, these are the ones i can think of.
I always try to shield grab everytime someone is near me and im in my shield. I usually get punished for this. I main MK and Lucario, i dont think lucario has a good grab range.
Whenever I think someone is going to approach I use a move. Sometimes my opponents counter this by going near me, waiting for me to do something, and punishing it.
When I miss a grab, i try to get another grab.
I know about all these bad habits when im playing, but I never stop doing them. Can someone please try to help?
Not everyone will naturally adjust to the game's mechanics, so to overcome that possible issue: practice, practice and more practice.

Fight lvl 9 CPUs in regular or training mode until you start thinking before you react. It is the repetition that will start forcing your mind to break out of the old habits. Go out of your way to be in smashfests or friendlies with people. This may be optional but playing online (if you have a decent Internet strength and can deal with lag and players with horrible behavior issues) for that constant and accessible human player exposure if you are unable to get this otherwise. Offline or online, regular human training will help you keep your skills in check in the face of unique circumstances that only human players can give you. Ask anyone you play for a critique...particularly those you lose to.

Ultimately you should take it to CPU and training mode if you have fundamental issues like rushing attacks and putting your learning to the test by playing real people. The order of doing this does not matter so long as you continue to do both.

It helps me, at least.

:phone:

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Thankyou. Im not able to play against other people in real life.

BioDG

Smash Ace
Yeah. Find a way around that or your learning process will be slower. I gave you one option.

Good luck!

:phone:

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
Look what i do is team battle 1 vs 2 lv9 is hard but it helps my blocking problems.

Like my tacket friend said Hardcore :D

Top Bottom