• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Do I counter Ike?

grapes123

Smash Rookie
Hey,
So my friend and I play for fun, nothing really competitive. However, he uses Ike while I use MK/Snake. When he uses Ike, he uses/charges sideB and fsmash and it knocks my character out at like 40%. I tried to side step away but my side steps keep landing right into the vicinity of the attack. Also, when I play aggressive and try to approach him, he just fsmashs me... It's so irritating because it kills at 40-50% ... Even when we play 3 way FFA with another friend, he still wins because everyone just gets smashed out at low percentages. How should I counter this with MK and Snake?

Thanks for the help!

D

Deleted member

Well, with snake your not aggressive. your gonna have to camp ike, ikes main weakness is campers, and Meta knight is practicly everything put into one. he can be defensive, offensive, stealth, or camp. and if hes able to kill you at 40-50 % your letting him charge up his fsmash to full. and his side be, tch. as long as you can dodge/camp right his ending lag gives you a perfect opening. and for the rolling, dont roll. hell dont be right next to ike. Like i said, camping is very effective on him, competetive or not. ike has no projectiles, and with snake you have plenty of things to hit him with from a far. now, ive been mostly talking about Snake, with meta knight, your gonna have to either dodge his fsmashes and side b's then punish him or you could bluff him into doing something to gimp him. gimp = kill really early, like at 40 %.

holyv

Smash Journeyman
How the **** this happens, you play MK dude >.<

Well, ok, lets go then.
Use L or R in the air to airdodge, in the ground L or R + Down (:

Now if you want to REALLY counter ike, like OWN him, go Falco, ikes are just too bad for falcos

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
Hey,
So my friend and I play for fun, nothing really competitive. However, he uses Ike while I use MK/Snake. When he uses Ike, he uses/charges sideB and fsmash and it knocks my character out at like 40%. I tried to side step away but my side steps keep landing right into the vicinity of the attack. Also, when I play aggressive and try to approach him, he just fsmashs me... It's so irritating because it kills at 40-50% ... Even when we play 3 way FFA with another friend, he still wins because everyone just gets smashed out at low percentages. How should I counter this with MK and Snake?

Thanks for the help!
Ok first off if he's hitting you with Fsmash there's a problem. Don't try to sidestep to avoid attacks, all you have to do is shield his Fsmash. As MK you should be able to counter him if you shield Fsmash. Ike will outrange you on a lot of his moves as MK, I'll give you that, but you can easily hit Ike AFTER he attacks. You'll want to punish in that MU.
As Snake, you shouldn't have a major problem. Grenades pretty much rule this MU. Keep him at bay with grenades and if he approaches you just shield drop your grenade. If he approaches with Fair or Nair he should blow up and if he approaches with anything else he'll likely have so much lag that he gets hit by the grenade anyway.
That's what I see anyway.

:038:

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Everyone's giving good advice. Trust me, this guy will be EAAZZYY

If you're goin' MK, run up and shield whenever he's about to attack. Once the attack ends, you probably have enough time for a grab, a smash, or a cup o' tea lol. If he's low on %, grab -> down-throw gets pretty good damage and usually props him up for a forward aerial. Hell, if all he does is Side-B & F-smash, just shield + grab should beat all his options lol. And if he's high on % (>130% is good), you can replace grab with downsmash.

link2702

Smash Champion
how da hell do you get beat by ike if you are playing metaknight?!?!

dude, if your bro is just spamming Fsmash on you, learn where the shield button is.

then just spam downsmash on his ike.

or hell even better then that, quit running into ikes pitifully slow smashes, just play even somewhat defensive and sit at a safe distance when you see him charge that ridiculously slow smash, wait for the smash to hit the ground, then charge in and punish all that horrible ending lag he suffers.

regardless though, there is no reason you should be getting hit by an Fsmash happy ike period, it still amazes me how casuals are still getting hit by this move in 2011

<^v>

Smash Rookie
regardless though, there is no reason you should be getting hit by an Fsmash happy ike period, it still amazes me how casuals are still getting hit by this move in 2011
You can't forget, not everyone has been playing since '06.

Ike is far too slow to beat MK or Snake when just casually brawling, obviously as stated. Shield will block the attacks he uses, just don't hold your shield out so long that it breaks by Ike's smash attack, that would be much worse.

Just be prepared to attack him right after he attempts to attack you, as he has a ton of lag frames after near all his attacks, you should use those to your advantage.

Musical Rum

Smash Cadet
uh what XD

Shield the fsmash. Tornado into anything Ike attacks with, it has fantastic priority and is easily worked against Ike's extremely slow moveset. Bring out dsmash for the KO, which is the best KO move in the game and beats Ike's arsenal

Snake's harder, but still. . .spam utilt and ftilt. Grenade camp, Ike has a slow approach. It shouldn't be so hard :p

Fireman

Smash Rookie
nado nado nado nado nado nado nado nado, then dsmash or shuttle loop for the kill with MK. nade camp, occasional ftilt or jab combo, then utilt, ftilt (if he has good DI, don't be so obvious trying to kill with this move, because I can DI and not die from this at over 180%, but if you do it unexpectedly it'll most likely kill at high %) or bair/c4 for the kill. utilt works the best for the kill though. both characters are a harder matchup for Ike than Ike is for you, and from what you've been saying he isn't all that good.

DaBeast

Smash Ace
NNID
DaBessBeast
3DS FC
3566-1658-7713
wow really, you main mk and you can't beat someone that spams fsmash. No ike main should ever use fsmash unless trying to hit someone recovering back on to the stage. Anyway this has been said before, gimp/WoP(use google) ike, he has one of the worst recoveries in the game. And don't be afraid to attack someone off stage. I honestly don't know why people wait?

Wow and this post is coming from an ike main.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
You use downB with Marth

Oh, um.. ...

Spam the B button and you win.. Yea tornado will work just move fast with it.. You don't want to get fsmash'd out of a tornado -_-;;

link2702

Smash Champion
lol i think we all scared the newb away.

but tis true what everyones said though...seriuosly...how they hell do you get beat by an Fsmash spamming ike as metaknight.

i still don't understand how noobs have such trouble against a crappy character like ike, especially one that spams smashes, his smash moves are the easiest in the game to AVOID, if you get hit by ikes smashes, you should feel ashamed of yourself.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
It's because they have a huge range and power and noobs don't really shield. Also because they have no idea what spacing is.

link2702

Smash Champion
i just wish he'd show back up, i'd love to see the kind of response he'd make seeing as how everyone here just told him how ridiculous it is for him to get beat by an fsmash spamming ike, and how he should feel ashamed of himself for getting hit by ANY of ikes slow, slow, SLOOOOW smashes.

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
You're new at smash, which is perfectly okay- all of us are newbies at some point. However, like most newbies, you tend to just blindly charge into battle without really thinking about what you will do, which leads to Ike hitting you with his smashes.

All of his smashes are really strong, but really slow. Just wait until after he uses one, quickly charge in to do some damage, run back out, and repeat. If you're right in the line of fire of a smash, just shield or roll.

holyv

Smash Journeyman
don't flame him, he's new!
1. Play mk
2. Nado
3. When you rack up some damage, get that yellow thing on the controller and push it down, as long as you want.
4. When he's above you, use up-b, then down-b to cancel the glide animation.

Top Bottom