• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I beat Toon Link?

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Hi guys,

I'm having a massive amount of difficulty handling Toon Links in general. The cape feels too risky as their speed allows them to follow up with a punishment before cooldown is up, and projectiles seem to headshot me anyways. I'm also looking for answers to his hookshot as I can't find a way through it. And what are his biggest blind spots?

Help would be much appreciated. Cheers!

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Neutral Air beats Tinks Boomerang and Arrows, approach with it at times to break through his tent. Capeing with your back to Tink also reflects bombs back at him no matter what, they won't hit you and explode like they would if you caped it from the front.

As for his Zair, just shield if you see it coming. Chances are they're going to follow up with a Nair or another grab. If they land somewhat close to you just grab it because he's probably going to go for a grab being that close. If they space it somewhat expect them to dash forward a bit and use a Nair. Just shield this or spot dodge it, whatever you think would work best.

Toon Link's camping game is going to stay pretty close to the ground since he can arrow cancel out of a lot of stuff from a short hop. Try approaching from above with full hop fireballs into Nair's or Dair's, you can even cape stall to see how they react and punish it accordingly. Once you get inside Tink it's not that hard to stay there. Pressure him with Jab's, Nair's and Tilts. He's not very difficult to combo and gimping him is the same exact thing as gimping Link. It's not hard at all, it just requires a bit more timing. If he's coming back to the stage and you cape him out and keep him out their with fireballs and Bair's the edgehog him. Tink has a few options off stage to gimp you, so keep those fireballs coming down on him to keep him onstage and away from you so you can recover.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
I love F.L.U.DD :laugh:.

I shot that water gun against a bomb spamming TL and it bounced the bombs back in his face. Needless to say, I LOL'ed hard :laugh:.

Pho

Smash Journeyman
He's not very difficult to combo and gimping him is the same exact thing as gimping Link.

Once you get inside Tink it's not that hard to stay there.
Gimping Toon Link is not as easy as gimping Link. Our UpB goes up so much higher. That being said, if we UpB from an angle, drop off and FLUDD them and it should gimp, depending on when.
If we UpB perpendicular, cape so we don't sweet spot the edge, and punish. If you push him off the edge again, just rinse and repeat.
Once you get inside Tink it's not that hard to stay there.
Good Toon Links know when to spam and when to use effective sword play. Toon Link does have a sword, so he can out space Mario. I don't know Mario too well, so maybe throw in a cape to turn him around every so often.

Just my two cents.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Gimping Toon Link is not as easy as gimping Link. Our UpB goes up so much higher. That being said, if we UpB from an angle, drop off and FLUDD them and it should gimp, depending on when.
If we UpB perpendicular, cape so we don't sweet spot the edge, and punish. If you push him off the edge again, just rinse and repeat.

Just my two cents.
Once cape will usually gimp both of them. TL's high aerial movement works against him when caped and knocks him twice as far as it would Link.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
I always found edge guarding Toon Link is easy... just cape stall to stop his projectiles/tether.. and when he's close or in the middle of his up-b, just ledge drop to bair. Once you get the timing down, it's easy to ledge drop->bair his up b.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Yea, after you bair, just double jump back on to edge hogging.

To know that you fail at the timing, if he grabs the ledge, you ledge dropped too late... if he hits you, you ledge dropped too early... but it's really easy timing ><

Works really well at high percentages, at low percentages, it'll just add on damage.. forces him to recover higher, which when he does, and he's in his falling state... cape/fludd :]

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Interesting time to bump.

In any case, I found that it was more of a wifi aggravation that gave me matchup issues. I beat Distructo pretty convincingly when we played offline in tournament last weekend. Ironically enough, I suicided when I messed up my cape input and ran off the edge into fully charged fastfalled reverse FLUDD LOL.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Oh. I also found something cool regarding Toon Link's Dsmash last night. If you TDI Up (Control Stick Up) + Jump when the Dsmash hits you'll just pop straight up and out of it and won't be dragged into the second hit. This effectively eliminates Toon Link's Dsmash Ledge Gimp from 0%.

FrankPizzi

Smash Apprentice

In any case, I found that it was more of a wifi aggravation that gave me matchup issues. I beat Distructo pretty convincingly when we played offline in tournament last weekend. Ironically enough, I suicided when I messed up my cape input and ran off the edge into fully charged fastfalled reverse FLUDD LOL.
Lol... :chuckle:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

Toon Link is a major ***** on wifi. Easily top tier on that. Losing to him on wifi doesn't mean much lmao.

Matchup is about even offline. As Kirin said...N-air through stuff...you can FLUDD away stuff, you have better combos on him imo and can edgeguard him hard with N-air and Cape and FLUDD. Also, your F-smash > his. He just is really campy though and the other issue is reliably getting in his disjointed range.

Mikha'el

Smash Cadet
I fight toon links alot, keep pressure on them with Bairs. As long as you dont give them space/time to camp youre good.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
You guys seem to have this alright, especially after what Pho put in.

Only thing not covered: If you a punishing a non-PSd Zair, the Toon Link is doing it wrong. You HAVE to power shield our Zair or it will not be punishable. Even with PSing it should be difficult. Zair is the biggest thing Mario will have to watch out for.
As for wifi, people still play on wifi?

Mikha'el

Smash Cadet
I only play on wifi cause i cant get to any tournys were there are actually other competitive players. Houston sucks at Brawl tournaments.

Top Bottom