• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How different would this game be if there was no fox?

HeroicWeasel

Banned via Warnings
We all know that fox is considered single handedly the best character in the game, but what if there was only one space animal (Falco)?

Would the game's balance be better? Worse? Would it turn into a puff-fest and puff counters everywhere? Would it be more diverse?

It's fun to think about scenarios like this

Alulim

Smash Apprentice
Falco Puff and Marth would all be crazy. Falco for his ability to auto combo you to 60% and really to act as the only true rushdown sub space control character in the game. Puff destroys everybody with virtually no bad matchups. Marth gets better because he becomes the defacto counter to Puff, Falco, Icies and others with Fox gone.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
Falco Puff and Marth would all be crazy. Falco for his ability to auto combo you to 60% and really to act as the only true rushdown sub space control character in the game. Puff destroys everybody with virtually no bad matchups. Marth gets better because he becomes the defacto counter to Puff, Falco, Icies and others with Fox gone.
Marth would actually get worse. He has probably the best matchup with fox in melee, he'd miss that quite a bit.

RayMyFurio

Banned via Warnings
Fox is probs #3 best atm. Falco and sheik are both better than he is while also easier to play. Theres literally no reason to play fox at all because of how redundant he is

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
The real question here should be "What would Melee be like if spacies couldn't jump out of shine?" And my answer would be... everyone would play Marth/Sheik/Peach/Puff imo. Maybe some would play falcon, but not as much as the other 4. Plus the game would be a lot less hype since everyone seems to find the other characters boring to watch... (which makes no sense). What a community!!!:lol:

Last edited:

SAUS

Smash Ace
The real question here should be "What would Melee be like if spacies couldn't jump out of shine?" And my answer would be... everyone would play Marth/Sheik/Peach/Puff imo. Maybe some would play falcon, but not as much as the other 4. Plus the game would be a lot less hype since everyone seems to find the other characters boring to watch... (which makes no sense). What a community!!!:lol:
The reason people like to watch spacies is because they are glass cannons. They combo like crazy, they're fast, but they're also extremely fragile. While they can dish out their ridiculous combos, they also get combod and gimped really hard. They can make any matchup exciting - winning or losing.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
The reason people like to watch spacies is because they are glass cannons. They combo like crazy, they're fast, but they're also extremely fragile. While they can dish out their ridiculous combos, they also get combod and gimped really hard. They can make any matchup exciting - winning or losing.
Yeah I get why they are exciting to watch, spacies are my favorite to watch especially when they are extremely technical and flashy. My point was that a lot of people would just diss the other characters saying that they are "stupid","cheap","boring","scrubby". I can agree they might be, a little more of those things than the spacies, but they are still very fun to watch. I know people who would say "Oh its Peach vs Puff, time to go do..." and yet they claim to like Melee as a whole. That is what makes no sense to me.

Surgeon

Smash Rookie
NNID
thefreakysurgeon
It'd be only slightly different, aside from the tier lists being shifted a bit

also I'm new here, whats up guys?

LiquidSalsa

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheRealLuigi64
3DS FC
4441-8394-6735
Falco would take his rightful place as king of melee

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
I disagree. Without fox, I think sheik moves to the top followed very closely by falco. Without fox in the fold, sheik loses a character that has caused her (him?) fits. Also, falco is arguably fox's worst matchup, if such a thing exists for fox. Without fox in existence, falco becomes "less valuable." (Yes, I know how ridiculous this statement is...falco is still really freaking great.) I just think that these two subtle effects shift the favor towards sheik, if ever so very slightly.

FYI, I have always argued that the tier list went fox, sheik, then falco, even before this hypothetical banishment of fox McCloud. To me, without fox in the mix, it only solidifies my opinion that sheik > falco.

Last edited:

LiquidSalsa

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheRealLuigi64
3DS FC
4441-8394-6735
All depends on opinion I suppose, although when I watch Sheik vs Falco matches it's usually even.

Guess it depends who's playing.

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
All depends on opinion I suppose, although when I watch Sheik vs Falco matches it's usually even.

Guess it depends who's playing.
Well, yes, I agree sheik vs. falco is even. I'm talking about sheik vs everyone else minus fox and falco vs everyone else minus fox. I think sheik has the better matchups overall, thus making sheik the best character in the game in a foxless battle arena.

Last edited:

LiquidSalsa

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheRealLuigi64
3DS FC
4441-8394-6735
Oh, Okay. Yes, Sheik does have more counters than Falco with Fox out of the picture.

I'm just biased towards Falco because he's my main, lol.

Top Bottom