• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you get into your main?

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I used to play a lot of Link, as I liked his versatility and the amount of crazy stuff you could pull of with him. As I got older, I'm unable to juggle so many button combos fast enough to be at the skill level I used to be. Ike plays with a 'Hit him once and make it count' focus, which works with my reflexes now. I can focus more on reading my opponent and my positioning on the field than on what my hands are able to keep up with.

That's my reason in a nutshell. I had a more detailed description in one of the earlier threads if anyone is curious enough to look for it.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Well now let's see:
64: :pikachu64:- only character I was really good with, that Thunder and adorableness.

Melee: :mewtwomelee:- was kinda shocked that he was in the game while randomly screwing around a few matches with :pichumelee: (who was my semi-main alongside :pikachumelee:) and decided to take him as my main, was even more dedicated to him when I found out his Melee tier placing he was considered to be one of the worst characters in the game.

Brawl: :lucario:&:sonic:- were my go-to characters especially after finding out Sonic made it in, since I've longed wanted to see Sonic in a Smash game since Melee and even pictured him as a fighter, alongside Shadow (kinda have to thank Snake's inclusion or otherwise Sonic wouldn't have gotten in the 1st place), Lucario was 1 of my favorite Gen IV Pokemon although despite Mewtwo being cut, his playstyle suited me instantly and he was very easy to land combos with both on the ground and in the air.

Sm4sh::4megaman:,:4pacman:,:4lucario:,:4darkpit: and soon :mewtwopm:- the moment the Blue Bomber made it in I knew for sure I was going to end up liking his moveset (since I grew up watching my bro play the heck out of the 1st 3 Mega man games) and made him one of my many alts for this game (he kinda reminds me of how Lucario plays in this game, only with projectiles), Lucario for the fact he was my Brawl main but had to adapt to his new playstyle which took me a while till I found how how to land some decent combos (his air game is far worse than it was in Brawl, because he's no longer a floaty character), I ended up taking Dark Pit because he clicks to me far more than Pit did (and to an extent Lucario, in terms of combo potential) but also because I'm drawn to dark/goth looking characters and he isn't as annoying as regular Pit is, Pac-man for the fact I played some of the arcade games and even played and got pretty far with Ms. Pac-man on the Sega Genesis, and his moveset accidentally clicked with me (that hydrant helps with setups alot in his playstyle and he has some decent chains in his air game), and Mewtwo for the fact he was my Melee main and hearing him being DLC (along with being a paid DLC) made me very happy to try and see what he changes he had from Melee and he would be the very 1st DLC character I buy for Smash.

Last edited:

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
:4falcon: - I dabbled with him once or twice in Project M, but then didn't touch him for a long time. Then I experimented with him on the 3DS version of Smash 4, and didn't think much of him. But once I was able to use a comfortable controller with a c stick, on the Wii U version, and found how fun, "free", and "loose" he is to use, I got hooked, and have been showing my moves since then.

:4mario: - maimed him in Smash 64, Melee, and a Project M. He's the star of my favorite franchise. I mean c'mon, he's-a Mario!

:4peach: - I didn't like Mario in Brawl, and for whatever reason I picked up her majesty. Turns out, I really enjoyed playing as her.

And I, like a lot of people, plan to try MewTwo once he's out.

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
:falcomelee::marthmelee: FIRE EMBLEM & STARFOX BOYS!

:ike::wolf: FIRE EMBLEM & STARFOX BOYS!

:rosalina:Wolf died, Fire Emblem characters have no range, and Rosalina is the single greatest character ever made.

FyrianFate

Smash Apprentice
:4zelda: Well, I was quite young, playing Brawl on Frigate Orpheon and got Zelda out of the random selection. I was playing against my brother and it was a really intense fight. The stage starts making that sound before flipping, so I jumped up, and used her recovery, which I had never used and never seen. Expecting to reappear at the top of the screen, I angle the joystick to the side to land on a platform. I reapeared right above a pit, and died, losing my last stock. And that's how I found my main^^

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
:zeldamelee::zelda::4zelda:
As a Zelda fan since I'm a child, being able to play as other characters as Link was obviously really exciting. But oh boy, playing as a powerful princess is so good. Since the beginning of Melee, I knew that Zelda was, is and will be MY playstyle.

:4robinf:
Well, I've only played a bit Fire Emblem on Gamecube, but... Can't say no to some more magic and twintails. Robin is kinda close to Zelda in term of playstyle, so it's quite natural for me to play her.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I played as rosalina and luma for 10 battles and i was not comfortable with her. I played as Shulk for 2 and I loved playing as him. Ness was an all time favorite for me, I played as him since n64. And as for Robin, I hated him/her until I played a few matches as him, I got very good with him but not as good as Shulk.

Yoship

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yoship2
3DS FC
1865-3001-1257
:4metaknight: - love the new recovery, can deal with the lack of range, and he's just a fun character.
:4tlink: - mained him in Brawl, easy to adapt to, nice meteor.
:4marth: - love the tipper, gotten used to it. quick recovery.

KittyKyat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
esskaytwo
:4shulk:- Always have a fondness for sword characters, tried him and he felt right. Proud to main him, and showed me to another awesome JRPG series.

Now a few secondaries.
:4fox:- Liked him in brawl, like em here.
:4villager:- Wanted a fun, zoney character, plays fun and his zany zoning options reminds me of Peacock from Skullgirls, so that's a plus.
:rosalina:- Shes fun and has neat puppeteering mechanics that make her fun to play.
:4littlemac:- Quick attacks, fluid, every match feels like I gotta know my opponent and abuse them with a flurry of punches.

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
:4sonic: I am a tier ***** who loves Side B. jk, but I always loved Sonic as a kid and tried maining him in Brawl, but I wanted to try a character with a projectile, because why not. And in Smash 4, I decided to not give up on Sonic, even if he wasn't that good. I guess I got lucky with this one :chuckle:

:4pit: The character I replaced Sonic with in Brawl. I really liked him and decided to try him again in Smash 4. I had trouble using him at first, but now he feels very fun to use.

:4shulk: His ability to use Monado Arts pulled me in and when I tried him out, I fell in love with his range. Though, I still struggle to make good use of his Monado Arts.

D

Deleted member

:4lucina: I loved her in Awakening and I got used to her pretty quickly.
:4robinf: I love her moveset and again because Awakening
:4marth: Same reason as Lucina, I got used to him quickly and tipper.
:4link: I was such a Link fangirl that I couldn't help but play as him. That and I like his games.
:4pit: I like Kid Icarus: Uprising even though I'm not far in the game and I like his moveset.
:4palutena: Same as above.
:4darkpit: Same as above.
:4tlink: Cute version of Link and I like Wind Waker.
:4duckhunt: He's so adorable and I like his moveset.
:4kirby: Was my main when I was really young and I love that he can copy others' powers.
:rosalina: Rosalina fangirl and mained her in MKW, MK8, and 3D World. I'm still trying to get used to her though.
:4sheik: She's cool and mysterious and is overall awesome.

I feel like I'm forgetting one other character I play as - I'll edit this when I remember.
Also I play as too many characters, but I play the first 5 and Kirby the most.

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
:4megaman:
I always played Mega Man games when I was younger. I had Mega Man Anniversary Collection and I loved them. Even if he was the lowest of the low on the tier list I would still main him.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
:4duckhunt: - I called from the beginning that I would main him, but I wasn't being serious because I have never been a fan of Duck Hunt as a game. Then I played for the game first time with my friends and unlocked him, and it turned out I actually really enjoyed his mechanics.

:4kirby: - With the exception of Melee, he has always been an extremely fun character to play, both seriously and for fun.

:4ness: - Loved the mechanics in Brawl even past all the garbage matchups he had. If he had the exact same mechanics with all the buffs he had received in Smash 4, insta main. But the slight changes to his attacks and double jump kinda boggle me. Still green with this one so I'm sure I'll get used to it.

:4bowser:- Dunno man. I like preying on the lack of matchup knowledge, I guess. I don't have fun when someone actually knows how to fight Bowser.

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
:4yoshi: - I like him! I am already a huge fan of him in the Mario series, mainly due to how stupidly huggable and adorable he already is. I only play as him in any games where he's a playable character.

WhyteMage

Smash Rookie
As soon as I saw Robin's trailer, I was instantly in love. This character was everything I like, an awesome sword, magic, badass robe and everything else. I hadn't even played a fire emblem game at this point, but afterwards I went out and picked up Awakening. I was instantly sold on Robin.
Apart from him I'm really struggling to decide on a secondary. I like Palutena but she's so slow, I like Charizard and Greninja, I like Rosie (she's gorgeous), and I'll definitely be trying Mewtwo out when he's eventually released. Maybe I'll just dabble in them all.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
:4samus:: Metroid's always been my favorite Nintendo series, and I've played Samus since Melee. Her ranged playstyle turned out to be something I'm pretty good at.

Roast Grief

Smash Rookie
I was playing For Glory, and I was all like "I'll just play Ganondorf. Whatever." I won. And I kept beating people. And I was like, okay, The Dorf it is.
Pretty much the same thing happened with Charizard.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I like characters that have flexible options.
:4fox: in this game is that to me. Fast attacks and great movement to let him slip in and out.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
:4falcon: - My love of Falcon came after watching Isai's episode of the Smash documentary. I thought he was a cool character before then but I had already mained Marth in Melee and didn't think Falcon was the character for me. Then I saw the doc and later came to appreciate other amazing Falcon players like Scar, Silent Spectre and Hax. Ever since, I've played Falcon in every Smash game and he became my #1 main for Smash 4 just because I find him the most fun to style with.
:4pikachu: - Even though he has some less favourable qualities, I find the character fun to play as. He might have been nerfed but I still believe in the right hands, Pikachu can still be pretty deadly.
:4marth: - He's my Melee main and probably the character I've played the most out of all the Smash games. I hate what Smash 4 has done to him and sometimes I feel like dropping the character for this game. Still I feel comfortable playing as him, so I don't mind using him every now and then.
:4jigglypuff: - I played as her drunk once and ended up winning a few matches. She's now my official troll character.

pixelatedcody

Pixelated Inkling
NNID
cncody
:4zss:- Mostly her playstyle and moveset. I really enjoy playing her.

:4falcon:- HYES!

I honestly juggle around all the cast. but these two I play more often than others.

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
If my username doesn't give it away already, I happen to really like the Pikmin franchise.
Anyways, when I finally got my hands on Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I instinctively reached for Olimar. Well that didn't end up well, because my brother picked Kirby, one of the more straightforward characters. We had no idea how to use smashes, rolls, or how to choose between side specials and neutral specials. Heck, I even thought that jumping required pressing both up and B at the same time
*facepalm*
Oh, and none of Olimar's specials really have any K.O. potential, so I was having a pretty rough time. However, after months of playing the game/actually getting good at brawl/grasping basic mechanics and determination to master Olimar, I eventually mastered Olimar. Hooray.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I Main pit and heres why

#1- In my Opinion best character design (he has freaking WINGS, plus awesome outfit)

Also Pit has an awesome recovery, really good projectile and is awesome at melee.

Manta

Smash Cadet
:4marth:- FE is awesome and I liked Marth in Melee and Brawl+killing at 70%
:4shulk:-Similar moves to Marth (read= he has a sword) and Xenoblade was amazing.
:4sheik:-Needed someone that is likely going to stay near the top of the tier list in case Marth+Shulk go rock bottom.

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
:yoshimelee::yoshi2::4yoshi:: I remember back in the far-off year of 2003. My best friend invited me to play his new -- or new to him, at least -- game, Super Smash Bros. Melee. I didn't know how to play, but I wanted to. He encouraged me to pick Mario, a well-rounded character who was relatively easy to learn the game through. I didn't like playing as Mario, though, so I soon picked his dinosaur pal, Yoshi. We were inseperable after that. From the days of spamming Ground-Pound so hard I was called "Mr. Brrring-Hah" by several people, to my awful egg-camping phase, to now where I have confidence in my Yoshi game (but I still love that down-B), this cute little dino will be my main man for the forseeable future.

:4charizard:: I used random characters while unlocking everyone, with Smash Balls on for the hell of it. Mega Charizard X I found was extremely similar to Super Dragon. Then I wondered... how ELSE is he similar to Yoshi? The answer was simultaneously more and less at the same time. Turning around in mid-air, great grab range, and a reliable spike? Sign me up for some of that.

:4mii::4miibrawl:: Mii Brawler mixes a lot of the best qualities of other characters I suck with, and it can have my face on it. Too bad he can't be left handed, though...

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
:4yoshi: – Smash 64 was the first video game I ever played, and Yoshi was the first character I ever chose. I haven't stopped choosing him since.

:4gaw: – I actually like the Game & Watch series. It has a quirky charm to it. And he overall just feels comfortable.

:mewtwopm: – Shameless furry here. I always thought Mewtwo was attractive, even when I was little, so...

:4palutena: – Five words: Anti :4link: :4tlink: and :4megaman:. There are no words to describe how much I utterly despise those characters. Even somehow winning against them isn't anywhere near worth how boring and tedious it is to even try! (Also, she's a surprisingly good Anti-:4diddy: as well.)

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
:marthmelee: - Had no idea who he was at the time, but Marth's elegant swordplay is what I loved about him as a kid, and is still my main in Melee today.

:metaknight: - He looked pretty bad-ass in the E3 reveal trailer, and I just loved the way he played, being quick, while having strong moves in his disposal.

:4shulk: - I love Xenoblade Chronicles, and I love Shulk's gameplay, being able to switch his stats on the fly, as well as having long ranged attacks.

C3CC

Smash Lord
:4yoshi: - He's one of my favorite Mario characters and always choose him in Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario Tennis, etc. He was my main in 64 but had dropped him in both Melee and Brawl because he felt kind of awkward. It was a nice surprise to see he's a great fighter again.

:rosalina: - I really liked her design from the very first moment I saw her in Super Mario Galaxy. Then, it was a complete surprise when I unlocked her in Mario Kart Wii, where she had an amazing voice. After that she just became of my favorite Mario characters along with Yoshi. When she was revealed for Smash 4, I lost my ****. I knew I would main her no matter what.

:4palutena: - I never played Kid Icarus: Uprising, but I have watched gameplay videos of it. I like how she's not the typical divine goddess, as she's playful and, unlike other gods or goddesses in different media, she does make mistakes. Her playstyle is also really fun. After I heard that she was initially considered one of the worst characters, I was encouraged to convince people she's actually viable.

:4charizard: - I've always loved dragons, and Charizard was one of my favorite Pokémon from Gen 1, along with Alakazam, Starmie and Mewtwo (yes, Psychic is my favorite type). He was utter garbage in Brawl, but when I heard he would be by himself this time around, I decided to give him a try to see how much things had changed. Never looked back.

Soon:

:mewtwopm: - As I stated before, Psychic is my favorite type and he's one of my favorite Pokémon (even though I never use him in the main games; I think using legendaries is cheap as hell). His playstyle is so cool and elegant, and telekinesis has always been my favorite superpower. We just clicked back in Melee. I'm sure things will be the same this time around.

Troykv

Smash Master
I don't have an actual "Main" but these are the characters that more juice

:4darkpit:: I like his design and his aggresive style.
:4kirby:: Kirby series fan since 2001.
:4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina:: Fire Emblem series fan since 2011 (But interested for years.)
:4mario:: IT'S MARIO and is very fun to play.
:4drmario:: A different and most badass Mario
:4luigi:: I like his character and his style
:4ganondorf:: IS AWESOME

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
:kirbymelee:Back in Melee when I first started playing Smash, I always thought Kirby was near unbeatable because of his multiple jumps. Whenever I played against friends, I'd always win and they would go on saying how "cheap" Kirby was. (This was YEARS ago when we didn't know better)
I was a bit shocked when I found out he's considered to be one of the worst characters in Melee, but he was still one of my favorite characters, even in future installments.

In Smash 4, I've been playing a lot of different characters. I don't really play characters based on how good they may be, I play them based on how much I like the character itself, so I don't really have a definite main, but out of all of them, Mario, Sheik, Shulk and Captain Falcon have been some of my recent favorites.
:4mario:Pretty good character all around, so you can't really go wrong with him.
:4sheik:Quick and can get some pretty nice combos.
:4shulk::4falcon:Great characters with a lot of interesting, crowd-pleasing moves.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Back when I've played Melee and Brawl for the first time, my main was :yoshimelee::yoshi2:. I played him because he was my favorite character from the Mario series. As time passed by, I've learnt more about each universe and started playing a lot with :kirby2: (I was a Stone spammer back then) and :falcon:. I've learnt actually alone how to play better during the games transition, and :4yoshi: started to be a secondary along with :4villager:,:4pikachu:,:4tlink:,:4jigglypuff:,:4ness:,:4ganondorf:,:4littlemac:,:4marth:,:4megaman:,:4link:,:4bowser:,:4fox: and :4mario: being my "pockets".

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
:4jigglypuff:- My absolute favorite Pokemon and my main since Smash 64.

:4robinf:- I was always rooting for something different from standard FE fare in Smash.

:4palutena:- Something about her playful personality just clicked with me. That and I'm a fan of KI:U.

:4miif::4miisword:- I have quite a penchant for all kinds of swords, so this character found its way into my heart.

:4wiifit: - Gotta love dem wonky hitboxes.

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
:4dedede:- Every since the anime he's been my favorite nintendo character and his playstyle just fits so well. I always liked to play the tank and heavy whenever possible in games, so for my favorite character to also fit my playstyle AND have a great recovery was beautiful.

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
Well in Melee it's :4luigi: and the reason why I main him in Melee is because he's one of my favorite Mario characters, love his movesets and he's just really fun to play with.

However Luigi was only my Melee main. :4wario2: is my true main ever since Brawl, he's one of my most favorite Mario characters, I love his wacky movesets, he's tons of fun, and he's just a complete troll.
Wario is the first Smash character I enjoy playing with the most other than :4olimar: in Brawl and :4pacman: in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Sylverblack

Smash Rookie
I started with Kirby when I first played Smash64. I was the first one in my clique to unlock Captain Falcon. He was so cool with his excessive Falcon Punch that it was almost love I fell in. His awesomeness remained in Melee so it was clear that I'd play him in Brawl even if he got nerfed like hell. I'm happy that now again he's as strong as he was in Melee while retaining the play style that was developed in Brawl.
:4falcon: <3

JapanGuy

Smash Cadet
I started out maining Sonic at first. But for some unknown reason I just stopped playing him. I then went to Fox for about two months, but found myself wanting someone with more power and pressure. I then played Captain Falcon and realized it was my destiny.

ICXCM

Smash Cadet
I like Zelda. Something about her play style really gets my gears going. There is some satisfactions in seeing Zelda not need rescuing, after all these years.

Also love Lucina, she was epic in FEA and feels like a more fun Marth.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
:kirby64: - I couldn't handle thenother characters right, so I tried Kirby. It felt like a dream and kept on playing as him.

:marthmelee: - Used to main Falcon, but eventually learned the way of the sword during one of my first tournament experiences in a friendy match.

:4bowser: - My casual Smash 4 main. He got so many amazing buffs, he's really scary, even if you're the one playing Bowser.

:4zss: - My serious Smash 4 main. I just like her gameplay style. She got so many useful moves and her KO options are incredibly satisfying to land.

Top Bottom