• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you get into your main?

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
I'm interested to know how others got into the character they play. The one you know like the back of your hand, be it you like the character, their playstyle, or maybe you just want to piss people off with them. What's your deal?

:4pacman:

Man when I saw the announcement for Pac I got excited. I was looking for a main for Smash 4 as I wanted it to be my first competitive Smash, or rather, I got good at it. I wasn't sure who I liked, but then I saw the Pac reveal trailer and got excited. I always loved Pac-Man, he was and continues to be one of my favorite characters ever. He's enjoyable, he's always happy, and his design and colours are just appealing to the eye. Not to mention when I was younger I loved the **** out of Pac-Man World and I still do. And seeing the same face in Smash? Well I knew I had to try him out. Day 1, midnight download, first thing I do is hop into practice with Pac and take all the things I saw from videos before release of Pac and I realize that I love him. His playstyle clicked with me instantly - both defensive and aggressive, with all them fruit mixups. I picked oven mitts because default looked too plain and I didn't like the sleeves. And I was off.

CCTANK93

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CCTANK93
3DS FC
4296-3062-4792
For me, I main Lucina. When I saw her revealed in Robin's trailer I lost it. I was secretly hoping that she would make it into the Smash roster and I got my wish, I didn't even care that she was a clone character. I really liked her in Awakening and I even had my avatar marry her in that game. I was planning to main Sonic again like I did in Brawl since he's my favorite character of all time, but I knew I had to play Lucina once she was revealed. My win/ loss ratio is doing great thanks to her lol

Raijinken

Smash Master
In Smash64, I liked Captain Falcon for being fast, and because I like F-Zero. In Melee, I initially played Dr Mario because I thought it was awesome that he was a playable fighter (Dr Mario being one of my favorite puzzle games), and then later my brother and I picked up Roy and Marth, respectively, because swords. Later, once it hit Merica, Fire Emblem became my favorite game series, so I stuck with Marth through Melee, Brawl, and Project M. I've dabbled indecisively in a lot of characters in Smash4, but I think ultimately I'm going to go with Robin for doubles and Shulk for singles. Robin because I enjoy Fire Emblem (and have been waiting years for a playable mage-oid), and Shulk because Xenoblade has awesome music and his playstyle suits my ranged Marth play (sadly, the Falchion Dagger no longer works as well as I'd like).

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
:falcon64: - F-Zero is a great series and Captain Falcon is a fun character. He exudes style and charisma.

:drmario: - The sheer audacity of Dr Mario as a playable character makes me giddy inside. That and I actually like his playstyle, Mario is fun by default, and I appreciate Doc's emphasis on strength and precision whilst retaining the core elements of the moveset.

:rob: - R.O.B. is adorable and vastly underrated. He's great at trolling people, too, which is always a worthwhile pursuit.

:4pit: - Kid Icarus: Uprising is my all-time favourite game and Pit is my favourite Nintendo hero. It just makes sense.

:4palutena: - As above. She's my most-wanted newcomer, I knew the second I saw her trailer she'd be my main.

Nammy12

Smash Lord
NNID
Nammy12
After I finished Xenoblade for the first time I swore I would solo main Shulk if he made it in.
I do not regret that decision at all.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Oh look, this thread again
:4rob:
- Prior to getting the 3DS version, I watched a lot of 3DS tournament matches (particularly to see how :4duckhunt:and:4bowserjr:played, since they weren't shown prior to the game's release bar leaks). In a few of them, I saw CT Chibo, and noticed the crazy stuff he pulled off with ROB's Gyro move. I was interested, watched more matches of him playing ROB, and I knew I just had to try it. Got the game, unlocked ROB, and I was hooked instantly.
:4bowserjr:- I honestly expected Bowser Jr. to just be a lame Pichu-esque clone of Bowser if he ever got into Smash. When I saw what they did with him, his surprisingly diverse moveset interested me, what with the numerous gadgets hidden inside his Clown Car. I wasn't a big fan at first, but I eventually got the hang of him and learned to love his playstyle.
:4pacman:- Same deal with Bowser Jr. here; his moveset looked pretty interesting (Bonus Fruit and Smash Attacks especially, going off of the trailer). When I tried him out, he was incredibly fun, and I was hooked.

TheMainVaporeon

Smash Rookie
NNID
Drawinglizard5
3DS FC
2449-6002-4096
:4yoshi:- I just really love yoshi and I've come to know how to use him really well over the years I've been playing smash. Plus, aMSa inspired me a little to use him more.
:4dedede:- My best friend mains Kirby, so I would've thought it would've been fun to use King Dedede and I've ended up becoming fond of him.
:4dk:- A lot of people think DK isn't that great, so I was inspired to use him to prove others that he does have potential.
:4pikachu:- Axe inspired me to use pikachu
:4jigglypuff:- Hungrybox inspired me to use Jigglypuff
:4fox:- One of my favorite youtubers mains fox and inspired me to use him
:4duckhunt:- I was so happy to see this trio join the game that I just had to use him. X3
:4bowser:-I used him at the beginning and I've grown really fond of him.

I just realized, I use a lot of characters. Lol

Kleric

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrOrdun
Kind of a lineage of preference since Melee, back when I was just a kid playing Smash bros with my siblings. I was kind of a follower to my older brother and tended to like whatever he did. I usually just played Link since I was a Zelda fan, but that was before my brother unlocked Young Link! That was my brothers favorite character, and I soon followed. He would always choose the black tunic while I went with the white tunic.
Going to Brawl, my siblings were less involved in my experience playing this, but still present. I forgot completely on who I played before I unlocked Toon Link, but I played him because he was basically Young Link's replacement, and I loved him just the same.
That legend continued to 3DS and Wii U, and when I decided to start playing competitively then, I was only more inspired to main Toon Link when I found out he wasn't that reputable for being a go-to character or used much higher up in the competitions. As a fan of underdogs, I kind of made it a goal of mine to represent him as a character the best I could.

Edit: Oh yeah, and for the same reason I may have to pick up Mr. Game & Watch sometime... because he's kind of at the bottom of the rankings here for Wii U. Not sure what constitutes for the rankings here, but if he's the least used character (Besides the Mii Fighters), then It's just more tempting to go with him. :)

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Mother****er has this already been made?

My b, I couldn't tell and was too lazy to look.
It's really no big deal, there are a lot of "how did you choose your main" threads, and they die all the time. Then a new one is made to take its place. It's the life cycle of threads, really.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Pikachu - played Pokemon before Smash
Meta Knight - used him in Brawl, I like Kirby and he's my favorite from the series
Toon Link - started as Young Link, whom I used because of OoT
Sonic (who I use very frequently) - Sonic fan, simple

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
:4pikachu: Pokemon is my favorite series of all time, so when I played Smash, he was a natural choice.
:4sonic: When I was little, Sonic was my hero. He was so cool and witty and awesome that I wanted to be just like him. For that reason, Sonic will always have a special significance to me.

Rexcalibr

Smash Apprentice
I've just always been a huge fan of the Koopalings. I like that they're a group of bratty, destructive kids and I always liked them as Bowser's kids ever since the Mario cartoons from the 90's. I tend to pick characters I like regardless how they perform and just learn to be good with them.

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
:4peach: really good, underrated character, sort of felt natural with my playstyle
:4bowser: life changing dropkicks broe

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
In Melee, I started to main :roymelee: after I learned of his tier listing place. Regardless, I've always been fond of him, especially his Flare Blade and his VO, Jun Fukuyama.

:ganondorf: In a similar vein, I picked up Ganondorf learning of his tier placement, but thanks to the Flame Choke combos, I started to pick him up as my full-on Brawl main and he's still a dedicated secondary of mine.

:4shulk:Shulk was one of my most wanted, having played Xenoblade, and his play style is really unique - It's adaptable to any situation in the hands of a dedicated Shulk main.
I might as well say Lucina :4lucina: gets an honorary mention since I abandoned Marth when I saw his eighth colour palette. (The one based on Roy)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
When Rosalina got revealed, I had high hopes of using her. Up to this point, she has been very friendly to me, and as such, I've used her way more times than any other fighter.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Okay here we go:

:younglinkmelee:: I picked up Melee recently to get competitive with it, and like any competitive Melee player I mained Fox, but after experimenting with other characters, I Loved Young Link, his Moveset, speed, attacks, and look. I still main him now.

:pt:: I decided to crack open my dusty Brawl case and play a couple matches while in a hotel. I tried my old main (Sonic) but he didn't feel right. I tried PT and fell in love with Squirtle, his cuteness, floatiness, and how we played. I concluded PT was gonna be my new main.

:charizard::toonlink::squirtle::ivysaur::fox::samus2:
This is for PM, but I first started with Squirtle and Kirby (Squirtle was my fav of the 3 in Brawl, and Kirby is my secondary/tertiary in most smash games), picked up Zard and Ivy and dropped Kirby (Since I was already familiar with them). I then picked up Tink, and way later Fox and Samus. Zard is my best though, my list is in order.

:4kirby::4metaknight:
After four months of choosing mains, I finally chose Kirby, and got really good with him. Kirby is my favourite video game character of all time also. Meta Knight was just fun and I loved him in old Kirby games, so win-win.

TL:DR
:younglinkmelee: cuz fast and moveset, :pt: cuz Squirtle's cuteness and floatiness, (PM):charizard::toonlink::squirtle::ivysaur::fox::samus2: cuz why not,:4kirby::4metaknight: cuz favourite Kirby characters and fun.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
:ness2: Super casual back in the day. I wanted to beat Tabuu in intense so I watched a video of a guy who beated Tabuu with :popo::gw::metaknight::lucas::rob::pikachu2:. Then I found this Ness, that was like Lucas. I just felt Lucas was a cheap imitation of Ness and I started using Ness. Quit Brawl to play P:M, and I just loved beating everyone with Ness, becuase he didn't suck in P:M. Smash 4 announced? Waiting for :4ness:. I don't know, I just had fun with him harrasing people with PK Fire and PK Thunder. Of all the characters I tried in Smash 4, I can't let Ness go. He is my best played character. Even though I kinda suck.

Storm Erion

Smash Cadet
:link64:: I loved Zelda games as a kid, so it seemed natural to play him when I got the chance. I was young so it's not like I took gameplay too seriously.

:roymelee:: I played a lot of Link but...I really liked Roy's character for some reason. He just seemed so cool with his flame effects and stuff. I really wish he'd come back....

:sonic:: I was so excited when Sonic was announced for Brawl, there was no way I could pass up playing him.

:rob:(PM): I actually didn't expect to play Rob, but the changes that were made to him made me like playing him. I didn't play PM for too long (about 3 months or so) but I enjoyed Rob a lot during that time.

:4link:: Now that Smash 4's around, I've gotta come back full circle and go back to my roots with Link. I played a lot of :4megaman: in the 3DS version because of the hype of him being a character, and he's another character who's from a franchise I grew up playing, but Link fits my playstyle more.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
I got into ganon out of sheer frustration at how long it took to ko people with sheik. I also liked him in melee and project M and he is also one of my favorite nintendo villains.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
In Melee, I started to main :roymelee: after I learned of his tier listing place. Regardless, I've always been fond of him, especially his Flare Blade and his VO, Jun Fukuyama.

:ganondorf: In a similar vein, I picked up Ganondorf learning of his tier placement, but thanks to the Flame Choke combos, I started to pick him up as my full-on Brawl main and he's still a dedicated secondary of mine.

:4shulk:Shulk was one of my most wanted, having played Xenoblade, and his play style is really unique - It's adaptable to any situation in the hands of a dedicated Shulk main.
I might as well say Lucina :4lucina: gets an honorary mention since I abandoned Marth when I saw his eighth colour palette. (The one based on Roy)
Are you good as those characters? If so don't give a **** about tiers. Tires don exits!!

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
Homemade lasagna over romantic candlelight

norly, experiment with everybody. Olimar and G&W, two previous mains, frustrated me with their changes so I spent a huge amount of time trying to relearn them. Bowser Jr, Duck Hunt and Megaman all confused me, so I felt naturally inclined to figure them out.

Everyone is viable. Follow your heart.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Homemade lasagna over romantic candlelight

norly, experiment with everybody. Olimar and G&W, two previous mains, frustrated me with their changes so I spent a huge amount of time trying to relearn them. Bowser Jr, Duck Hunt and Megaman all confused me, so I felt naturally inclined to figure them out.

Everyone is viable. Follow your heart.
Homemade lasagna? Hmm, I should try that. To get my mains, I used poffins and chili dogs. :p

pershona

Smash Journeyman
:marthmelee: His playstyle just felt extremly natural to me when i tried him.
:falcomelee: I love how technical the character feels and he is the most fun character to do combos with for me.
:roypm: I always wanted to main Roy in Melee but he sucked, and PM fixed that.
:4sheik: I liked using her a lot in Melee and i wanted to play someone who has a lot of combos.

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
:link64: - I just thought Link was a really cool guy when i was a little kid. Plus his long reach thanks to his sword was really neat.

:linkmelee: - Same reason as above. (why does everyone think that maining Link means you're a zelda fan? I havn't really played any Zelda games lol).

:gw: - He seemed like a mysterious being from another dimension. i mean he was pretty mysterious being from a world where everything is 2D and only one color and he only spoke in beeping noises. plus he hits hard as **** in this game lol.

:4littlemac::4gaw: - I just think they are really cool characters for who they are. but i tend to like Little Mac's hard hitting playstyle a bit more.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
:rosalina:- I absolutely loved her both as a character and her overall appearance, but I must say that her charming, yet tragic, back story in Super Mario Galaxy would become the turning point of my adoration of her. Since then, she's been my most wanted newcomer for Smash Bros. and when she was revealed, I knew then that she would definitely be my number one main and the only Mario rep I'll ever play as. She would then become my most used fighter in the game and I have absolutely no regrets.
:4megaman:- All I can say about him is that his reveal trailer was the main reason why I became interested in trying him out. Now, I'm having just as much fun playing as him as with Rosalina and my second most used fighter in the game.
:4link:- Well, he's been one of my mains since the beginning of Smash Bros. and I'm a huge fan of the Zelda games as well. Playing as him never gets old.
:4myfriends:- I haven't used him that much in Brawl but I find myself playing as him more often on this one. I also like his Radiant Dawn design better than his Path of Radiance outfit from Brawl. His playstyle fits perfectly well for me.
:4lucina:- I enjoyed playing Fire Emblem: Awakening a lot and I loved Lucina as a character and the role she portrayed in that game. She was my second most wanted newcomer for this game (it was gonna be either her or Chrom for me) and I was really excited when she was revealed. I really don't care if she's a Marth clone or not, I enjoy playing as her a lot.
:4falcon:- What can I say? Along with Link, he's been one of my mains since the beginning of Smash Bros. and I still play as him though now as a secondary. Never played the F-Zero games though but I enjoyed his playstyle.
:4ganondorf:- He's Ganondorf, the King of all Evil. He's definitely the real villain around here compared to Bowser. He's fun to play as and to fight against and, as I mentioned about Link, I'm a huge fan of the Zelda games.
:4littlemac:- I've never played the Punch-Out!! games before but his playstyle is a lot of fun. I also happen to be a huge fan of the boxing sport in general so I eventually hooked him up as a dedicated secondary.
:4shulk:- I've never played Xenoblade Chronicles before but I've heard a lot of good things about it and I got interested this character. I was dying to try him out when he was revealed and I gotta say I'm really feeling his playstyle.
:4zelda:- I played as her quite a lot in Brawl but ever since Rosalina was revealed, I don't play as her as much as I used to as she is now one of my secondaries. Plus, I already mentioned this about Link but I'm a huge fan of the Zelda games.

JimmyHedgehog

Smash Cadet
NNID
JimmyHedgehog
3DS FC
3497-0193-6314
:4sonic: Sonic is my favourite game series and he was also my main in Brawl. The fact I do well with him helps too.
:4link: Fan of the series and I like his playstyle/moveset. Use him more in 4 than other Smash titles since I seem to do rather well with him here.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
I first started playing Palutena because I heard people say that she was the worst character in the game, and I wanted to see why people thought that. After playing her for about a week, I fell in love with her fighting style, and she became my main.

Sendubbio

Smash Rookie
NNID
Flamjam
:4jigglypuff:... Cute stuff, okay, they get me. Ever since 64 I was that little girl squeeing over Jigglypuff. And I loved her and she reminded me of me whenever I got huffy and angry. I did leave her in Brawl, because I was upset that rest just wasn’t hitting any more, but then in Smash 4, I saw that she was fun to play again, and so I did. I mean, not before reeling through half the cast, but I couldn’t leave that precious puffball forever.

blue_flavored

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blueflavored
Back in my Brawl days, :4fox: was my main for about 3 years before I decided to stop using him for an unknown reason. Then about 2 years ago I was playing Brawl and I was like "I've never used:lucas:or :ness2: before, I think I'll try em out."

I started with Lucas for a couple weeks. I liked him, he was different, I liked his playstyle. Then I decided to give Ness a shot. I immediately fell in love. His PK abilities, his air attacks, the yoyo, and the beautiful sound of the bat. The whole time I used him though I still stated that Fox was my main even though I had not used him in a long time.

Then one day my cousin and I were playing, My Ness vs his Marth, which was always a back and forth battle and he beat me twice and I got salty. Then I said screw it I'm using Fox and I crushed him. I started using Fox again for all of my matches around where I lived and no one could beat me.

Then Smash 4 came out. I was so excited. I started with Fox, but something felt.....off. I did everything I did in Brawl but my inputs were too fast it seemed. My timing was off, I tried and tried but I couldn't adapt. And most notably for me I couldn't combo into a down smash from a down air.

Then I used Ness. It felt great! He seemed so much faster, so powerfull, and that backthrow! Oh god, that backthrow.

After playing for awhile I decided to learn :4pikachu:,:4falcon:, and :4megaman: and Pikachu quickly became my 2nd best character and relied on him for quite awhile. Still having Ness in my pocket, I played in an online tourney planning to mostly use Pikachu, however after I lost in the second round it became apparent that I would need to lean on Ness.

I got nervous before every match I played after and it only made me better. I never played Ness so good. And after making it to the finals and losing to a very good Pikachu, I realized there was so much more to Ness that I could use. I've gotten so much better with him since then and I've only been getting better. Ness has become my favorite character to use again not just for winning but for my new playstyle with him. And that's my life story for how I got into Ness and why I main him. :awesome:

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Pokemon is my favorite Nintendo series (along with Smash) so Pikachu is a given. He was my first ever Smash character and my first ever main. I play this dude every game. He's also the pre-evolution of one of my favorite Pokemon, Raichu. So I guess Pikachu also counts as one of my favorite Pokemon.

Also looking forward to Mewtwo when he comes out. First chose this guy when 7 year old me was REALLY into legendaries. He's also my second favorite legendary. Loved this dude in Melee... and he's also my PM main.

I've been playing Charizard a lot more recently too. Loved this dragon as a kid. I used to like Venusaur more actually, but now I probably like Charizard more. He's a dragon, 'nuff said.

...Not sure who I'm actually gonna "main". I play these three the most though.

Last edited:

RADSheikah

Smash Apprentice
:4megaman:: Got hype for him as soon as I saw him. As a huge MM fan I knew I would play him when the game was released.
:4greninja:: Joked about him to my friends before he was revealed saying I wanted him in. Was who I picked in X&Y and when his Amiibo comes out I will name him "Mr. Bubbles" like I did my Greninja.
:4pacman:: Was playing around with characters with my cousin. I eventually picked Pac-Man. Fell in love faster than I did with my girl.
:4ludwig:: Kinda wanted to play :4bowserjr:when he was leaked. Tried him out when I unlocked him. Loved it.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
Welp, was gonna main Fox or Falco like I've done in the past but I don't really like them in this game. Wolf being absent didn't help either, so I decided to play a lot of Ganondorf. Unfortunately, I wasn't doing so hot on my first day, so after 2 hours of Ganondorf on For Glory, I decided to play Mega Man. I had played him a bit in friendlies and wanted to see how I'd do. Didn't think I be as successful as I was, literally didn't lose a game for the rest of the night and my win rate went from 35% to 60%. I knew from then on, maining Mega Man was my destiny, lol

Matoi Knight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
katarina-hatsune
3DS FC
5215-0514-7118
Lucina was pretty much love at first sight especially since I found out she was voiced by my favorite VA.

I got into F!Robin after playing Fire Emblem Awakening, plus the "limited use" mechanics on her tomes/Levin Sword intrigued me. And RPing as her for a bit made me love her a bit more than I should have.

PigglyJuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mr.Hugz
3DS FC
2793-1251-1909
I really love animal crossing, and always love characters with something odd about them.

I played him, and it was love at first sight.

Liyrex

Smash Apprentice
Daein (Or Albany, NY whatever makes more sense)
NNID
Liyrex
3DS FC
3265-5244-3896
For me, Fire emblem has always been my favorite game franchise. I beat Radiant Dawn when i was 8 and have mained marth since melee. Fire emblem awakening is one of my favorite games of all time i have about 240 hours invested into it and I expected just Robin to make it into the roster. Then i saw my girl Lucina and fell in love with her all over again. At first i still considered her inferior to marth but in fact shes more fluid in the air and i just love using her red palette. She looks great in the game and while i still bust out marth in a pinch. Ill stick with her whenever i can. Thx Daddy Sakurai

Aus0115

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aus0116
:zeldamelee::zelda::4zelda:- My most used character in every game and it will never change. She is my absolute favorite Nintendo character

:peachmelee::4peach:- I only like using Peach in melee and Sm4sh but she's been my main choice in most Mario spinoffs

:rosalina:- Another main choice in spinoffs and just an amazing character in my eyes.

Top Bottom