• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did these great players start out when playing SSBM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabro

Smash Rookie
Hello. I don't know if this is the right place to post this topic; I have been surfing the forums a lot but just recently became a member. This is my 2nd post here so please don't flame if I am posting in the wrong place.
Anyhow, on to the question.

I have watched many many videos of great players, who can do the simple wavedash with ease. I am deeply into competitive gaming, and I am even semi-pro in a game known as Defense of the Ancients (DotA), a Warcraft 3 Custom map.

I have been wondering how these players started out when they firsted started playing semi-pro / Pro. Where and Who were they able to practice against? How long did it take them to become so godlike?

I am a Samus player myself, and I admire Phanna Mint as well as Mike Nasty.

If there is anyone out there giving out lessons (local) I would love them!! =-D

P.S. Nothing ticks me off more than my friend beating me with Link. When I try shooting him with missles/charged-up ball, he just stands there and links shield blocks it. And on top of that, he thinks he soooo good, but I know any of you guys could WTFPWN him..

offcell

Smash Apprentice
Find vids of chars you play. Watch and absorb :)

Also, play, play, play and when you've gotten to the point where you're confident, play some more at competitions.

Sabro

Smash Rookie
I have been watching a lot and have actually been absorbing like you say. Not quite confident, so I guess I'll just keep watching for now.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Is Kingston anywhere near the Seattle area? If so, there are a lot of good people and tournaments that you can attend and get better. But yeah, first thing is to practice the tech skills and then try to play as many people as possible to gain experience and learn tricks and mindgames.

Sabro

Smash Rookie
i play this jerk and all he does is sit back and wait 4 me 2 make a move.. i just know ne1 of u guys would pwn him. he doesnt use wavedash at all. >.< maybe ill bring him over 2 seattle :p

Shapechanger

Smash Apprentice
You know, in my personal experience, anybody who thinks they're good but really isn't plays Link. No offense to any Link players.

If he doesn't know any tricks, I'm sure you could catch him off guard with some easy ones. If he's just hanging back and waiting for you to come to him, try jumping and shooting homing missles at him, and then when he tries to move to avoid them, go in for the charge.

A little trick to charging somebody is such, when you're close, instead of doing your charging a attack, duck (while running) and down or forward on the control stick to do your smash attack instead. Leaves you less vulnerable, and is generally more powerful.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
If all he is doing is sitting back he's giving you free time to charge. There's a few things you can do about him camping with his hyrulian shield. You can jump and shoot high missiles so they hit his head. This will cause him to have to block, avoid, or attack the missiles. Watch how he reacts to this and punish accordingly.

In regards to getting better I'd say just practice a lot and play with people who own you. When you get your *** handed to you by someone, obvserve what they are doing and how it works. If applicable, incorporate it into your game. If not, try to figure out a way against it. Videos are good for exposure to advanced techs, but real improvement in gameplay comes from playing good people.

Sabro

Smash Rookie
I played him again not too long ago and after losing 6 straight games, i won the last 5 just by observing him and countering what i would Know he would do next.

I've been observing the forums to find out how to do the double missle. I know it's jump missle, land missle. But every time I try it... >.<

I've also been studying the AHTP Videos and practicing. The wavedash is becoming much more easy.

I'm not worried about learning how to be a 'pro', I have the skills it takes to learn the hardest tricks in video games. It's not like I'm just some noob who wants to be uber pro, but more simply a Pro learning to become a pro at other games other than Soul Calibur 2 / Warcraft III: TFT (DotA)

Thanks for helpin me out, especially Rohins for suggesting to missle links head. I will work on these faults.

You guys are much nicer than other forums I've been on where everyone laughs and points at the guy asking questions.

GL HF!

Cherokee Warrior

Smash Ace
Hello. I don't know if this is the right place to post this topic; I have been surfing the forums a lot but just recently became a member. This is my 2nd post here so please don't flame if I am posting in the wrong place.
Anyhow, on to the question.

I have watched many many videos of great players, who can do the simple wavedash with ease. I am deeply into competitive gaming, and I am even semi-pro in a game known as Defense of the Ancients (DotA), a Warcraft 3 Custom map.

I have been wondering how these players started out when they firsted started playing semi-pro / Pro. Where and Who were they able to practice against? How long did it take them to become so godlike?

I am a Samus player myself, and I admire Phanna Mint as well as Mike Nasty.

If there is anyone out there giving out lessons (local) I would love them!! =-D

P.S. Nothing ticks me off more than my friend beating me with Link. When I try shooting him with missles/charged-up ball, he just stands there and links shield blocks it. And on top of that, he thinks he soooo good, but I know any of you guys could WTFPWN him..
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

<3 samus forums soooooooo much

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

<3 samus forums soooooooo much
Well I'm glad someone does..

And as for how people started out, it was bad. As for how you get better, experience and tournaments. If you have a passion for something, you work your own way out for it, and most importantly, learn from others, as well as your own mistakes (both good and bad).

majoras.

Smash Journeyman
learn from others, as well as your own mistakes (both good and bad).
that reminds me of something my granpa used to tell me.

"To learn you must fall, and to win you must learn."
he told me that for my soccer games, but im using it for smash now

u remind me of my grandpa now phanna, when i see u in host2 im gonna hug you

Zurad

Smash Cadet
Sabro, I am surprised at you

You pretty much answered your own question in your first post! I mean, that game that you play, that you're a semi pro at, how did you get good at that? You didn't just pick it up and become one of the best in the world at it instantenously, did you?

Of course not! Like Phanna said, everyone starts out as a newbie, but the more you play, and the more you dedicate yourself to it, the better and more experienced you get.

Reminds me of a story I heard once, about a piano player that gave a world class performance at a concert. After the concert, a man came up to him and said "I would give my life to play the way you do", to which the pianist replied "I have."

So you see, it really all just depends on how much time and dedication your willing to give it. We've all got dreams, but they're not going to come true by themselves! We have to chase after them!

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
LOL Majoras!!!! Don't scare him away!!!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
1. Search

2. Read stickies.

3. Regional rooms to find people near you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom