• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How consistent is sheik?

How consistent is your sheik?

• Total voters

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
What I mean is how consistent your play is with sheik? Can you go a week without even using sheik and do well at tournament or must you train your *** of for 5 hours everyday?

Gいたん

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GlitchG
3DS FC
3797-5929-4063
I've gone two weeks without playing, played a bunch of friendlies the night before the local tournament the next day and gotten 4th, beating an ice climber main I had been struggling with forever. Consistency is kind of subjective, but if you want to get certain things down like your needle game, movement game, tech chasing, etc, practicing a lot helps a ton. I do practice a lot of movement and needle tech and it makes things like going weeks without playing easier.

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
I've gone two weeks without playing, played a bunch of friendlies the night before the local tournament the next day and gotten 4th, beating an ice climber main I had been struggling with forever. Consistency is kind of subjective, but if you want to get certain things down like your needle game, movement game, tech chasing, etc, practicing a lot helps a ton. I do practice a lot of movement and needle tech and it makes things like going weeks without playing easier.
I can't play Sheik with my friends. It's too good for em.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Consistency is entirely on the player. Some players are better at being able to keep their play about the same without much practice, others aren't.
In general, no matter what character you main, you want to be putting in at least 1 hour of solo practice a day (working on movement, tech, guaranteed combos, etc).

Also if your sheik is too good for your friends, **** around with you secondaries, but switch to sheik by the end, because you always need the practice.

Last edited:

Palmerfan

Smash Apprentice
Also if your sheik is too good for your friends, **** around with you secondaries, but switch to sheik by the end, because you always need the practice.
To add on to this, you can always practice 1v2s and SDing a few of your stocks away and still trying to beat your friends. It sounds silly and your friends may see it as disrespectful but it will keep you honest with only choosing good options and not doing dumb ****.

Anime_ For_Alpha

Smash Rookie
Consistency is entirely on the player. Some players are better at being able to keep their play about the same without much practice, others aren't.
In general, no matter what character you main, you want to be putting in at least 1 hour of solo practice a day (working on movement, tech, guaranteed combos, etc).

I'm on my friends account. I also play Marth and Falcon. And a pocket doc.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I'm on my friends account. I also play Marth and Falcon. And a pocket doc.
alright, well like I said, the key way to improve consistency and be able to preform well in a competitive setting is experience and that solo time.
You'll notice that when you put a lot of drive into improving your main, your secondaries will get better too (although for every character you add to your play, you need to give them a lil love too, which is why I always recommend people stick to just one or two characters for serious play)
But consistency comes down to practice and muscle memory. You want your sheik to be consistent, you gotta play sheik.

By challenging your friends on that level as well, they'll either stop having fun and quit, or they'll get tired of getting 4 stocked and try to improve themselves (that's what happened to me when my training partner started doing work on me back in the day).

Secondaries are great for helping expand your understanding of the game and they're just a lot of fun in general, but you can't just play secondaries all the time and expect your main to do well in tournament.

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like you gotta find some new people to play with then Homie
do you not have a scene bigger than your friends where you live?
The smash club starts too late since its on a school day and many tournaments are an hour a day so I can't come out often. My friends at school aren't that excited about figuring out how to do all that fancy looking stuff we do in competitive smash, one just rage quit today after 30 seconds against my sheik claiming that the gcn controller wasn't good.

Gいたん

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GlitchG
3DS FC
3797-5929-4063
The smash club starts too late since its on a school day and many tournaments are an hour a day so I can't come out often. My friends at school aren't that excited about figuring out how to do all that fancy looking stuff we do in competitive smash, one just rage quit today after 30 seconds against my sheik claiming that the gcn controller wasn't good.
Lmao. I know exactly how you feel man, this happens often and I've gone through the same thing with my friends who now don't play melee. It's the test to see who actually is dedicated and loves Melee rather than just loves winning at a smash game
If it's a School smash club, they usually aren't the best place to get good melee in, but it's a start. You should try getting some games in there even if it is against scrubs.
Just make the trip out there yourself one time to see how it goes, and when you get there acquaint yourself with as many cool dudes as possible and get some phone numbers for people to play ask where they're from, and you could find that people live closer to you than you think. Possibly wait until summer break if it's on school days?

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
Lmao. I know exactly how you feel man, this happens often and I've gone through the same thing with my friends who now don't play melee. It's the test to see who actually is dedicated and loves Melee rather than just loves winning at a smash game
If it's a School smash club, they usually aren't the best place to get good melee in, but it's a start. You should try getting some games in there even if it is against scrubs.
Just make the trip out there yourself one time to see how it goes, and when you get there acquaint yourself with as many cool dudes as possible and get some phone numbers for people to play ask where they're from, and you could find that people live closer to you than you think. Possibly wait until summer break if it's on school days?
Im on spring break now so I am going and there is a tournament on the 11th like 10 minutes away from me!

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I started june last year and apart from my injury keeping me away from smash totally I haven't been able to/felt like taking any kind of break from practicing, so I guess I can't really answer.
I voted 'not at all' since when I came back I lost a lot of the control I had before the injury. Plus I had to start using a completely new grip messing up most of all the inputs I was used to.
It's kinda cool because I can tell I almost improve on a daily basis.
I am going to my first tournament is a while soon, so I can put my skills to a test.

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
I started june last year and apart from my injury keeping me away from smash totally I haven't been able to/felt like taking any kind of break from practicing, so I guess I can't really answer.
I voted 'not at all' since when I came back I lost a lot of the control I had before the injury. Plus I had to start using a completely new grip messing up most of all the inputs I was used to.
It's kinda cool because I can tell I almost improve on a daily basis.
I am going to my first tournament is a while soon, so I can put my skills to a test.
That's good. I don't get injuries on my arms or hands so I don't really know how it feels to not be able to practice. The closest to injury I had is where I had to switch my control scheme on project m because I hurt my finger practicing l canceling for 4 hours strauight

Gいたん

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GlitchG
3DS FC
3797-5929-4063
Can you give me some sheik tips, I feel my Sheik hasn't been as good as I need it to be
Sure. Here are some random basic tips off the top of my head
Get your Wavedash out of shield, and nair out of shield down. You need your out of shield options against all characters because they help get out of pressure and help pursue punishes. If marth forward smashes your shield, wavedash out of shield toward him and grab. There will be a space that you should recognize your wavedash will cover after a laggy attack preformed by your opponent, make the decision if you can make it to them for punish in time based on the move they used.
If fox or falco is spamming pressure on your shield, nair out of shield and hold away from them to get back to a safe position. I do nair out of shield by flicking jump on tap jump and a, so i can get the short hop version of it. Wavedash out of shield is preformed by wavedashing while just holding shield. If you shield and wavedash with the same button its kind of hardder because you'll have to learn a timing, but if not its a little easy.

Fair > Jab on shield is pretty good, because if they try to shield grab your fair they get jabbed, and if they get jabbed you can get a free grab > down throw off of it. If they catch on to the jab and start waiting for the jab to shield grab, just grab after the fair.
In Neutral you want to be able to have your movement crispy.

Ground movement, platform wavelands, reverse needle cancels, all on point. Bait whiffs by dash dancing into their attack range and quickly running back out and turn around grabbing after the whiff.Down throw is always what youre going to want to go for. On fast fallers you want to go for the regrab tech chases until probably about 40-50 percent, because before then they'll crouch cancel your fairs and tilts. Dash canceled grab is super important, preformed by running and pressing a and Z in the same type of fashion you would as if you were jump cancel grabbing, it'll extend your reach for the regrabs. If you've tech chased them to that percentage, try to read a tech in place with an up smash to a forward tilt forward air, things like that. You can also read tech rolls with wavedash dash and forward tilt to pick them up of the ground for the fair.

For characters like Marth, you want to put pressure on him with needles from the platforms, followed by falling down fair or fair jab grabs. Once you get the grab, you can regrab a few times until he di's neutral above you and you can get a tipper f smash (Same goes for any character you can chaingrab really save the heavy ones), or you can just forward tilt/ forward air after the down throw, depending on percentage.

Floaties like puff and peach you want to get good grab follow ups off of, but be careful grabbing puff because she can duck > rest your grab.
Peach: Once you get the grab on peach, dthrow chain grabs about two times and then you should probably up tilt or forward tilt after the grab, follow their DI from there. If they're at like 30 percent and DI away , jump forward air fast fall and dash regrab her, its guaranteed every time. you mainly want to get good fairs, bairs, and edge guards on her.
Puff i just usually space back airs against, and if i get close and get in i lock her in front of me with jabs, grab and punish her from there

On low tiers usually you can just get free forward tilts up tilts or fairs/ ftilt > fairs off of them while grabbing, so go for grabs and follow up according to the moves you use

For any characters that land on platforms after down throw you have a few cool options you can do to tech chase them from under
You can read their techs with up air from under them and usually the up airs chain into more up airs and then into a fair or bair, or you could do a rising down air to read a tech and that leads into up air or forward air. I usually do this for techs in place. When reading techs on platforms, WAIT FOR THEIR TECHS. Wait until the MOMENT you see (Ex. Marth) Tech in place on the platform and start to get up before you jump from under with the up air, otherwise they'll be invinsible and itll whiff and you get nothing.

Edge guarding is hella important for sheik, so For edge guarding tips on characters check my post on this thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/edge-guarding-problems.389506/#post-18503624

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
Get your Wavedash out of shield, and nair out of shield down. You need your out of shield options against all characters because they help get out of pressure and help pursue punishes. If marth forward smashes your shield, wavedash out of shield toward him and grab. There will be a space that you should recognize your wavedash will cover after a laggy attack preformed by your opponent, make the decision if you can make it to them for punish in time based on the move they used.
If fox or falco is spamming pressure on your shield, nair out of shield and hold away from them to get back to a safe position. I do nair out of shield by flicking jump on tap jump and a, so i can get the short hop version of it. Wavedash out of shield is preformed by wavedashing while just holding shield. If you shield and wavedash with the same button its kind of hardder because you'll have to learn a timing, but if not its a little easy.

Fair > Jab on shield is pretty good, because if they try to shield grab your fair they get jabbed, and if they get jabbed you can get a free grab > down throw off of it. If they catch on to the jab and start waiting for the jab to shield grab, just grab after the fair.

Ground movement, platform wavelands, reverse needle cancels, all on point. Bait whiffs by dash dancing into their attack range and quickly running back out and turn around grabbing after the whiff.Down throw is always what youre going to want to go for. On fast fallers you want to go for the regrab tech chases until probably about 40-50 percent, because before then they'll crouch cancel your fairs and tilts. Dash canceled grab is super important, preformed by running and pressing a and Z in the same type of fashion you would as if you were jump cancel grabbing, it'll extend your reach for the regrabs. If you've tech chased them to that percentage, try to read a tech in place with an up smash to a forward tilt forward air, things like that. You can also read tech rolls with wavedash dash and forward tilt to pick them up of the ground for the fair.

For characters like Marth, you want to put pressure on him with needles from the platforms, followed by falling down fair or fair jab grabs. Once you get the grab, you can regrab a few times until he di's neutral above you and you can get a tipper f smash (Same goes for any character you can chaingrab really save the heavy ones), or you can just forward tilt/ forward air after the down throw, depending on percentage.

Floaties like puff and peach you want to get good grab follow ups off of, but be careful grabbing puff because she can duck > rest your grab.
Peach: Once you get the grab on peach, dthrow chain grabs about two times and then you should probably up tilt or forward tilt after the grab, follow their DI from there. If they're at like 30 percent and DI away , jump forward air fast fall and dash regrab her, its guaranteed every time. you mainly want to get good fairs, bairs, and edge guards on her.
Puff i just usually space back airs against, and if i get close and get in i lock her in front of me with jabs, grab and punish her from there

On low tiers usually you can just get free forward tilts up tilts or fairs/ ftilt > fairs off of them while grabbing, so go for grabs and follow up according to the moves you use

For any characters that land on platforms after down throw you have a few cool options you can do to tech chase them from under
You can read their techs with up air from under them and usually the up airs chain into more up airs and then into a fair or bair, or you could do a rising down air to read a tech and that leads into up air or forward air. I usually do this for techs in place. When reading techs on platforms, WAIT FOR THEIR TECHS. Wait until the MOMENT you see (Ex. Marth) Tech in place on the platform and start to get up before you jump from under with the up air, otherwise they'll be invinsible and itll whiff and you get nothing.

Edge guarding is hella important for sheik, so For edge guarding tips on characters check my post on this thread:
YOU are the homie. Thanks for the tips!

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
No problem my dawg. If you run into any problems or form any questions feel free to quote me here with them or message me personally.
BIG PROBLEM. My mom is very very against me playing videogames. I can't do anything like tournaments until I get a car. Which means nearly 4 years and no practice against a human at all. Is there any way to convince my mom?

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
BIG PROBLEM. My mom is very very against me playing videogames. I can't do anything like tournaments until I get a car. Which means nearly 4 years and no practice against a human at all. Is there any way to convince my mom?
There is hope, trust me!
You want to handle it as maturely as you can. Don't feel offended by her trying to take care of you! Because that's probably what she does :)
What you can do is to try and indirectly influence her view in video games:

Tell her why you wanna play this great game. How friendly and helpful people are. How competition is good for you. How dedication translates into school work back and forth.
How learning processes are good for you regardless of topic.
Not to mention the social aspect.
:)

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium

That was quite a read! Very well put!
I wanna mention that you can end your low percent dthrow tech chase by a Dash Attack and that will lift them for the Fair as well. All you need to do is to practice spacing the DA well so it sweetspots and actually do send them up.
Also, when you tech chase onto platforms you can actually cover 2 spots (tech in place and tech roll away) with Dair (Lcanceling Dair is REALLY important) and if you missed the tech roll away you can catch that with DA.

Eh, I also want to add that one of the key elements to having crisp movement is to never Run in neutral. Ever!
As a rule of thumb you should never hold forward (Emphasis on Neutral Game) Following up and positioning for edge guards you will have to use Run from time to time. If it insnt an absolute must then simply Walk at full speed. Sheik has an amazing Walk.

Only flick it forward (aka. Fox Trot/isolated Dash)! Once your dash becomes Run you will have very limited movement options and you are likely to do Slow Turns and get punished for it.

Try and avoid rolling completely. Every time you find yourself in sheild, WD out of it. WD OoS needs to become second nature to you. And like Glitched said, learn your other OoS options namely being Nair OoS and Shield Grab.
Know that if anyone is even remotely experienced they know how to space and what options they have that are safe on sheild and so Shield Grab wont work thus you will get punished for throwing it around.

Last edited:

Gいたん

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GlitchG
3DS FC
3797-5929-4063
Tell her you're very serious about it and as corny as this sounds possibly show her this part of the last episode of the doccumentary ( https://youtu.be/nKzYWqkga74?t=797 ) and maybe that will appeal to adult logic lmfao
on top of that just tell her you really enjoy the game and competing is fun and you want to get good enough to win money, things like that

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Tell her you're very serious about it and as corny as this sounds possibly show her this part of the last episode of the doccumentary ( https://youtu.be/nKzYWqkga74?t=797 ) and maybe that will appeal to adult logic lmfao
on top of that just tell her you really enjoy the game and competing is fun and you want to get good enough to win money, things like that
Eh I probably wouldn't mention the money thing =)

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
She is quite honestly annoying at this point. First, she says something along the lines of everyone being strangers, which makes zero sense because everyone you know was once a stranger. Then she says "We've already talked about this, ask again and tour game is going out the room." Remember, all I did was ask, literally nothing else. I just asked a question. After reading your post, I went to talk with her and the conversation goes as follows. " I want to have a discussion." Mom: " About what?" Me "Gaming." She then proceeds to end the conversation by saying that the topic was not open for discussion.

Gいたん

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GlitchG
3DS FC
3797-5929-4063
She is quite honestly annoying at this point. First, she says something along the lines of everyone being strangers, which makes zero sense because everyone you know was once a stranger. Then she says "We've already talked about this, ask again and tour game is going out the room." Remember, all I did was ask, literally nothing else. I just asked a question. After reading your post, I went to talk with her and the conversation goes as follows. " I want to have a discussion." Mom: " About what?" Me "Gaming." She then proceeds to end the conversation by saying that the topic was not open for discussion.
Maan, what a schmuck. How old are you?

Gいたん

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GlitchG
3DS FC
3797-5929-4063
I'm 13, only a few days older than melee. She says I have to do something in the summer, but I would much rather do something I like.
Ah, well I understand. You're an early bloomer, kudos to you and your godlike taste in games this early.
She's just concerned about you because being 13 in different towns/cities or states with random people she hasn't met is kinda scary.
If anything, just give it a year or two. I was 15 when I started playing competitively with adults like 10 years older than me and my mom figured I could watch over myself, I'm 17 now and it's not even a problem in the slightest.
You are pretty young so just give it a little bit worst case scenario, and practice your ass off until then.
Practice fox and Falco tech skill, sheik movement and needle tech (if you flick the opposite direction that you're running when you jump to charge needles and then hold b to charge, you'll charge them in the opposite direction. You can also cancel them after that by pressing l or r while still holding b and you could also throw an arial out too with the c stick.)
Practice falcon, just if you do have to wait for a few years to travel to tournaments **do not quit the game**. Your time will shine and you'll be introduced to a life changing game of hype

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I'm 13, only a few days older than melee. She says I have to do something in the summer, but I would much rather do something I like.
How about introducing melee to one of your friends? Have him come over and practice?
If you could talk his parents into taking you guys to a tournament that could be a huge argument for your mom to agree to let you go.

beanwolf

Smash Apprentice
We have kids as young as 12 come to our weekly in Pittsburgh (MoaL), they've come with their parents before and they've continued to come back. The tight-knit and friendly nature of the community will likely speak for itself. Your situation is tough though, I've been there when I was much younger with gaming events.

Keep up your grades and whatnot, and propose that your Mom comes with you to a tourney. She'll come around when she sees how cool we are.

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
We have kids as young as 12 come to our weekly in Pittsburgh (MoaL), they've come with their parents before and they've continued to come back. The tight-knit and friendly nature of the community will likely speak for itself. Your situation is tough though, I've been there when I was much younger with gaming events.

Keep up your grades and whatnot, and propose that your Mom comes with you to a tourney. She'll come around when she sees how cool we are.
Thanks for the support, I greatly appreciate it. I shall push on in this long war!

Top Bottom