• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How characters should earn the special

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Exactly, there's no reason someone losing should be able to come back for a win just because he's losing, it's unfair to people with skill. I can picture CPUs getting and using the super smashes much more efficiently than humans ever could, just like powershielding.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
If it's an item, then there doesn't seem to be much flexibility with the super smash attacks, because it looks like wherever it lands, you gotta use it there. I can imagine the cpu just stopping and walking to the other side of the stage to pick it up while you're already there, waiting for him/her to get closer. I doubt they'll make much good use of it.

Elen

Smash Lord
Just because it's an item doesn't mean you'd have to use it on the spot. They could make it so you can pick it up, and use it with the A button when you get in a position you want. I really hope this is an item...it's going off as soon as I get my copy :p

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
You guys know that there were items of a similar nature and power in Melee. They were called pokeballs w/ legendary pokemon in them. The only difference was that they were randomized. So this mechanic is actually lessening chance in Smash Bros.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
If it's an item, then there doesn't seem to be much flexibility with the super smash attacks, because it looks like wherever it lands, you gotta use it there. I can imagine the cpu just stopping and walking to the other side of the stage to pick it up while you're already there, waiting for him/her to get closer. I doubt they'll make much good use of it.
I was under the impression that the Super Smashes were either full screen, or focused on a single target. Either way, if one person gets it, his foe(s) is/are in trouble.

Elendil's point is also very valid, especially if it's a single target power.

experiment111

Smash Journeyman
It seems the super smash moves aint too popular :(. U gotta admit it would be fun (if super smash is an item ) if only super smash was turned on on summin like super sudden death :D.
I hope its either a RELE rare item or some sort of percentage based thing. the meter idea is just hard to imagine for certain characters.

Joner

Smash Cadet
You guys know that there were items of a similar nature and power in Melee. They were called pokeballs w/ legendary pokemon in them. The only difference was that they were randomized. So this mechanic is actually lessening chance in Smash Bros.
If the poké balls were definately out, and was replaced by this, even then I would hardly agree that it lessens chanse. When the pokéballs are probably still in, it ain't close to lessenin' no chanse.
I loved seeing n00bs (wich I do play with items against from time to time cause they don't feel it is unbalanced) getting lucky with a pokéball spawning somewhere, and a mew or goldeen shows up, after wich I slam my sword in their face. SO even if it is replaced, this only makes the chanse stuff worse.
And these attacks seem way stronger than the best Pokémon, cause none of them grabbs the opponent and boils them, nor do they fly off the stage and blow the opponents off it with fire.

Drunken_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
smash should have a customizable meter system.

smash orbs let you get meter, you determine how much, and options like:
getting hit gives meter,
hitting gives meter,
combos give meter,
kos give meter
being koed gives meter.

etc. etc. that way, what ever way is most balanced can be used.

i personally think anytime you attack you get meter, getting hit gives you meter, but less, and smash orbs should give a full bar.'

swhat im hoping anyway.

Vibratic

Smash Cadet
I think it just being an item is a good idea. By making it something you get through moves, players might start changing their style around it, and I'm sure others will find ways to exploit the game to get it fast. I've seen it happen too many times to count in online gaming, and it will spread like fire. Even if it is patched later, the game would have changes to important stuff that would change the whole way the game plays (and probably more exploits will pop up).

If it's just an item, it alters gameplay for a second during the mad-dash to it, which is great in my books. Items aren't hard to grab, and as seen in Melee, powerful items, while distracting all the players, work in nicely with the game. And you can easily turn it off if you don't like it.

Through KO's or damage might not be so easily abused, but people find the craziest exploits just to win a game (and make it unfun for me, and I'm sure a lot of others, too).

Top Bottom