• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can you best prepare for Apex2014? The MANLY Money Match

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
Hey everyone, I run a stream every Thursday night called The Pro Factory. In it, viewers get to watch gameplay of myself and various other top FL players training, and answering the chat's questions! Best questions get rewarded at the end of the stream!
To follow the stream and see future shows click the following link:
twitch.tv/tierbreakers

Now that the shameless plug is out of the way, one question we've received from a player named Arc was

"For out of state tournaments, what can you do to prepare for them, and what you can do with your state, if they are going, before and during the tournament?"

My answer was simply: The MANLY money match (MMM for short).

The MMM is something I created before my Pound 5 pointless performance, and it's something I've repeated starting about a month before every big national.

Without further ado:

[Collapse=The MANLY Money Match]
Get a training partner, preferably someone of equal skill to you, or at least in the ballpark. Someone that you have access to for at least one hour a day would be optimal.

Next you do a special kind of money match I invented called a "Manly Money Match", or MMM for short.

Imagine a number line, -5 would appear on the left side, this is your training partner's side. +5 would appear on the right side, this is your side. There is a 0 in the middle, and this is where the marker is placed, and where the MMM starts.

So it would look something like this:

-5-4-3-2-1-----X----1-2-3-4-5+

Each number in either direction represents a set, 2 out of 3, or 3 out of 5, whatever you and your opponent agree to.
For each set victory, you move the X one number, or space, in the direction of your 5.

So, just as an example, let's say you win the first 3 whole sets, then your opponent wins two, if you are the +5, then the number line should look like this:

-5-4-3-2-1---------1X2-3-4-5+

Remember, there's only one X the both of your will be "tug-o-warring" in a sense. The player that gets the X to their respect 5 first, wins the MMM.

Yes this takes a while, I've had MMM's with Esam that had lasted weeks before, but the payoff is well worth it. The more even you guys are in skill, the longer the MMM should last, and the more practice you'll be getting for a relatively low amount of money on the line.

Average MMM usually runs around $5, this ensures that both players will be trying the entirety of the sets.
[/collapse]

Hope this helps!

If you have any questions, or suggestions on how to improve the MMM or simply have other suggestions about how to prepare for Apex2014, please post below!

8Bitman

Smash Master
I thought this was more known. Nevermind

Shaky and I are on like set 14 or 15.. Def lost count.

Top Bottom