• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How are you using Magnet?

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Fox cant cancel his jump squat with Shine, multishining is just using shine on the first few frames in the air, which causes you to stop rising and land a couple frames later, allowing you to repeat the process.

It is true that Ness can do the same, its just not effective as you have 15+ frames between hitboxes.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
After a few months with the game, I'm only using magnet for a few things:

- horizontal combo extender. Push opponents farther in combination with fair/nair
- defensive hitbox to escape a high intensity scramble
- ledge jump magnet to djc nair/fair, as a somewhat reliable way to get up the edge quickly and with a hitbox
- recovery
- air stall while coming down to mess up an opponent's timing
- absorption, especially in matchups where the opponent is reliant on projectiles, e.g. Mario
- shield pressure

And of course, jc magnets to show off.

Situational move but I find these are definitely times it comes in handy

The_NZA

Smash Lord
After a few months with the game, I'm only using magnet for a few things:

- horizontal combo extender. Push opponents farther in combination with fair/nair
- defensive hitbox to escape a high intensity scramble
- ledge jump magnet to djc nair/fair, as a somewhat reliable way to get up the edge quickly and with a hitbox
- recovery
- air stall while coming down to mess up an opponent's timing
- absorption, especially in matchups where the opponent is reliant on projectiles, e.g. Mario
- shield pressure

And of course, jc magnets to show off.

Situational move but I find these are definitely times it comes in handy
The only one on the list i would never do is as a Defensive hitbox, since nair is a good 3 frames faster and has just about as good coverage.

However, It is also good to use to stall offstage after you dair someone and you suspect they'll try to eat your pkt when you recover.

Bryonato

Green Hat
Compare to Lucas' (which is arguably much more useful):

Lucas- Comes out frame 5, jc'able at frame 8; repeating hitboxes while the move is out

Ness- Comes out frame 8, jc'able at frame 11; only 1 hitbox

Elion33

Smash Rookie
Compare to Lucas' (which is arguably much more useful):

Lucas- Comes out frame 5, jc'able at frame 8; repeating hitboxes while the move is out

Ness- Comes out frame 8, jc'able at frame 11; only 1 hitbox
Also Lucas get comboes from Magnet, while Ness struggle getting follow-ups from it.
That's why I wished magnet was faster.:glare:

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Also Lucas get comboes from Magnet, while Ness struggle getting follow-ups from it.
That's why I wished magnet was faster.:glare:
That doesn't even begin to address how Ness's magnet does 4% while Lucas's does like 8%.

I get it...moves are different, they shouldn't be compared in a vaccum, but how are you going to make ness's slower than all his aerials, only good for basic combo chains, and still make it tack on negligible amounts of percent. There's a reason falco's does 8% while fox's does 4%--because Fox's can kill, while falco's mostly just combos.

As always we got the short end of the stick....errr...bat.

Top Bottom