• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How applicable is the wavedash?

0nion

Smash Rookie
Hi guys, first post. I didn't want to post anything in the Introductions section because...well...I feel dumb whenever I do that.

So after playing for two years and getting alright with Ganondorf, I come here and see a whole new bevy of tricks and such I had never tried. I learned how to wavedash and I'm working on L-cancelling, but that's a lot harder than I thought it would be.

But other than looking fancy, I can't find an applicable use for a wavedash. Maybe it's because I play against computers all day, but I can't find a use for it anywhere other than making myself feel awesome. Can someone enlighten me to the practical uses a wavedash has for ganon?

Also, I have no idea how to tell I did an L-cancel, which makes practicing it very hard. What normally happens is I either follow through with the landing animation or I put up my shield right when I land. Either way, I don't feel like I'm doing it right. Can anyone tell me how I know if I did an L-cancel?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
With Ganon, try doing his dair (stomp), then trying doing it with l-canceling, you don't have to hit L/R/Z hard just tap it. You should notice the difference. They stand up quicker, allowing you to respond faster. All of Ganon's aerial moves have decent lag for the most part, so l-canceling will definitely become noticeable with practice.

Wavedashing isn't as usefull for Ganon as it is for other characters but it still has its perks. A lot of Ganons like to slide off upper platforms to upair edgegaurding. Wavelanding I think has better uses for Ganon than wavedashing. Eddie (pro Ganon) wavedashes alot though so I'm probably wrong.

Search youtube for Eddie Ganondorf or check the 1v1 video compendium for Ganon combo vids for some insight on how to use the advance techs.

EastCoastEddie

Smash Journeyman
Wavedashes are a bit quicker to start and finish than rolls but go less distance. Rolls also give you a few frames of invincibility too. If you roll forward it will also turn you around while wavedashing lets you slide forwards and backward while facing the same direction. Ganon's rolls are pretty beast but you don't wanna get into a pattern where you always roll in some situations. Gotta mix it up. I like to wavedash then immediately do a roll sometimes too. Gives you that much more distance.

There is much more into wavedashing that I don't feel like getting into right now. But in a nutshell it's great for mindgames.

Ulti

Smash Journeyman
I find wavedashing by itself, is moderately useful; but I find that platform-dashing and wave-landing (jumping on a platform -> wavedash, and wavedashing while you land, respectively), can really speed up Ganon on the platform stages - that's where you usually want to be anyway. When using both of these in conjunction, ganon gets a decent speed boost (in a limited area), while still having most of his attack options open to him. I don't see the point of platformdash -> u-air (just short-hop it), but again it gives you another way to attack.

Plain ol' wavedashing still has it's uses: you can use it to turn around when running, dodge an incoming attack with less lag, and spacing.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
But other than looking fancy, I can't find an applicable use for a wavedash. Maybe it's because I play against computers all day, but I can't find a use for it anywhere other than making myself feel awesome. Can someone enlighten me to the practical uses a wavedash has for ganon?
I used to think this as well, but then I met Joe Bushman111 and saw him play his Ganon. I saw how he used them to space his attacks out and trick his opponent into thinking they could get away with a forward smash or something and then he'd punish them.
It has more uses than that.

ninjade1

Smash Journeyman
well an easy way to see if ur doing l canceling right is with links dair but that's not ganon obviously

a good WD tech is WD forward and Ftilt it gives some distance for ur next attack of course if close enough to the edge can get and easy ko with a dair, another deadly one is WD shffl fair good and simple

FFIV

Smash Cadet
I learned how to wavedash with Ganon consecutively. It's pretty much a ground asset, but it's not completely necessary.

drago980

Smash Apprentice
i think l-cancelling is most noticeable(i think i spelled that right) on bowsers bair and links dair.
as for wavedashing.... i use ganon and have problems with that too.

pockyD

Smash Legend
consecutive WDs aren't terribly important but being able to conjure one up on cue is very very helpful in retreating away from attacks and putting your opponent right in f-air range =)

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Wavedash-->SHFFL Fair = <3

I agree, there are better wavedashers out there (Samus ftw) but Ganon has his uses. Wavedash of the 2th floor stages on Battefield/Kirby's Dreamland to the left/right and Uair for good edgeguarding for example.

ninjade1

Smash Journeyman
as Kujirudo said wd off the platform backwards and do a uair and that's a great edgeguard tatic it owns, and besides looking flashy and wining I so much cooler hah and besides if u don't win u lost in an awsome manner lol

ninjade1

Smash Journeyman
wd back short then forward long and down b FTW um wd low/high ftilts r also good but usually I just do as another thread says wavepunching its fun and annoys ppl hard but ganons smashes r to slow to wd into but u can try wd back long fsmash

ninjade1

Smash Journeyman
well I've noticed depending on how the control stick is angled is depenedent on the length of the wd the more straigh across u can get it without just air dodging the longer it will be and visa versa so wd with the stick more down to do a very short wd almost in place but u get a little distance and then the longer one forward its add tons to the mind game

ninjade1

Smash Journeyman
oh no I mean u have to angle the air dodge into the ground don't go straight across because that will just make u air dodge not wd

_Riot_

Smash Journeyman
Im sure extremely technical people can get into it all day of how to use a wavedash in general practically. I dont wavedash often but i waveland all over the place (jumping then as im about to touch the ground i pretty much airdodge into the ground) although ganons wavedash might seem short the max distance you can get on him is quite amazing, hes no luigi or ice climbers but it can go far with practice.

Practical uses for wavedash id say is as mentioned acting like your going to edge guard then wavedash back on the ledge for the edgehog.
Especially useful on marths who love there f-smash/f-tilt if they space it perfectly (and you dont power shield it) the lag of getting out of your shield will be enough so they cant get punished. However, you can wavedash out of shield (jumping cancels the shield and since wavedashing is jumping and airdodging into the ground yea you know where im going) and score a successful grab with a side of punishment ;)
I guess the obvious one is an opponent trying to space an attack you can wavedash backwards to avoid it and/or knock him out of his attack via tilt/smash attack.
i personally think wavelanding is just the best especially on platform stages just dont become like me and get to excessive on doing it, i happen to run ito alot of stupid stuff at times.:laugh:

Sensai

Smash Master
Like the other few posts in this thread that I've read, I'm going to say that Ganon's WD is not the end all and be all. That being said, it does have it's uses.

Spacing is what most people use the WD for. While this is true for Ganon also (like what Kujirudo said on the first page), it's not used as much as Samus's.

For example, try simply WDing in for a jab. This scenario doesn't happen often, but when it does, you get a good 7% in there. WD for a tilt (probably Ftilt but maybe Dtilt) to set an opponent of their gaurd.

The main use for Ganon's WD is the waveland, as everyone else has pointed out already. I'm just now beginning to seriously incorporate this into my game, and it's already made me improve ten-fold. Not only does it make you less predictable, it really (read: really) speeds up your game.

Sensai

Smash Master
I can't do the perfect WD unless it's coming outta a jump (making it a perfect waveland). It's useful, sure, but only for REALLY chasing down enemies.

The standard, run of the mill waveland is useful, also.

Top Bottom