• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Anticlimactic -_-

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Regardless of what the medium is -- it can be a video game, a movie, a book, a television show, a series or compilation, etc. -- but you're hooked into the story. There is something about it that truly captivates you. Something so enthralling, whether it be the characters, the plot, the writing, or whatever floats your boat.

This thread is about how one minuscule element can completely warp your entire opinion. You were diggin' it until it happened. If you feel the need to fullly elaborate on it, it'd be advised to use spoiler tags.

In my case, it was a video game. To be exact, it was:

I had little to complain about the game. It was unique to say the least. The characters were more than just two-dimensional cutouts of anime cliches and you felt somewhat connected to the world the game presented.

And then I watched the ending. I have seldom ever felt so peeved by such a small part of something I liked that it almost completely changes my opinion of it. It left far too many questions and what little answers they had provided
I know about The Answer...It was lame
, left me completely unsatisfied.

So that's my example of something I enjoyed but something so trifling could make me tear my hair out. Let's discuss.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Final Fantasy 8

Yeah, I admit I was really liking this game...until the orphanage.

Oh, all of the main characters actually grew up together in an orphanage, but they all conveniently forgot everything because of their GF's. Oh except Selfie, who somehow remembered the whole time and chose not to say anything.

"THIS IS BULL ****"

I never beat the game.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
Final Fantasy 8

Yeah, I admit I was really liking this game...until the orphanage.

Oh, all of the main characters actually grew up together in an orphanage, but they all conveniently forgot everything because of their GF's. Oh except Selfie, who somehow remembered the whole time and chose not to say anything.

"THIS IS BULL ****"

I never beat the game.
And that is why I like this THEORY (spoilers obviously)

I really think the story that is played out is how the game creators intended it to be(no leveling by the devs), but this is fun to think about.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
And that is why I like this THEORY (spoilers obviously)

I really think the story that is played out is how the game creators intended it to be(no leveling by the devs), but this is fun to think about.
Yeah, while I kinda doubt this is the intended story, I love this essay so much that it may make me go back and play the game.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
Happy Feet.

At first, i liked it. A happy movie about dancing penguins with funky music. Sounds nice. Then they had to add an environmentalist message and making it last 3 hours longer than it should've been. Seriously, by the end of this movie i hated it.

Oh, and The Book "The War of the Worlds".
I was expecting a super secret ultra weapon or maybe a country still thriving with a full army ready to go to wipe out the aliens. Or maybe the main character would nobly sacrifice his life by kamikaze'ing the core of the mothership to save humanity. But germs? Freakin' germs killed them? Most anticlimactic book ever.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Even though I didn't LOVE the movie, I thought Bruce Almighty was a pretty decent film. I was enjoying the comedy (not gutbusting but good enough) and the somewhat unique premise of the film. But the entire third act ruined the entire movie. You couldn't possibly be more blunt preaching about God's burden than you had in that film. As if we didn't get the message the first time around, they kept on repeating it. It eradicated all semblance of liking this movie.

Anger Management had a similar problem. Never show your plot twist 2 minutes towards the end of the film...especially when it's so stupid, illogical and contrived as it was in this film.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I also couldn't really get into Metal Gear Solid 4. Not too sure what it was though.

Soul Eater is one of my very favorite animes, but about the second half of the series, things seem to kind of slip. I'm not saying it's bad; still good, just not how I had hoped the series would go.

Zeta Gundam is quite possibly my favorite show ever. I love it, and my only real problem is I think it should have been longer. Instead, the show ended, and Double Zeta Gundam started, which had an almost completely new cast and the show was all comedic and ****, and when things got serious it was still pretty garbage compared to the original Zeta. If anyone has watched it, IMO, what happened to Kamille... shouldn't have happened, or been permanent, one of the two. IDK, Judau and all his friends just seemed like a slap in the face to me.

Lost, until Season 3 started. I still enjoyed the rest of the series but :/ it just wasn't what I wanted it to be.

edit

Mega Man X series up until X7. What a huge turnoff that game was, not just in gameplay but in story. New character Axl. Great. A pipsqueak homo with guns who hasn't hit robo-puberty yet. Wonderful. So what about the whole X vs Zero idea? Oh, just ignoring it, huh?

And while I'm on the subject, I thought -Mega Man Zero- series totally ruined the X series. I hated the Zero games when I first heard about them. Gameplay wise I don't despise them but I totally do story wise. What happened to the big conflict between X and Zero? Oh, it gets turned into... This..........? And what happened to Sigma? Come on Capcom, seriously. And ever since then I've been fairly disappointed with new Megaman products (discounting MM9 and 10)

Colonel Cuddles

Smash Journeyman
Huh? The whole series has been futuristic (minus 3 and the PSP games). Though, I admit I was disappointed that when you went back to Shadow Moses, all you fought were those little spider robots.
Well I mean tjhis one was super futuristic, at least 1 and 2 were closer to current reality, and I was just as bummed out as you, killed the whole chapter for me.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Huh? The whole series has been futuristic (minus 3 and the PSP games). Though, I admit I was disappointed that when you went back to Shadow Moses, all you fought were those little spider robots.
In the other games, it was all relatively realistic with futuristic stuff interspersed. In other words, the world and context of these games was generally similar to our own, but it had futuristic elements thrown in here and there; like a chocolate chip cookie, where the majority was realistic or contemporary in nature and the chocolate chips were the sporadic futuristic elements. This way, we could play games that took place in a familiar world while also being able to suspend our disbelief just enough to enjoy the futuristic or unrealistic aspects.

I think what set MGS4 apart from those games is that it took place in an entirely unfamiliar, super-futuristic world where every detail was also super-futuristic.

Don't get me wrong, it was still a great game. But for me, nothing will beat the unadulterated awesomeness and simplicity of the original MGS.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
In the other games, it was all relatively realistic with futuristic stuff interspersed. In other words, the world and context of these games was generally similar to our own, but it had futuristic elements thrown in here and there; like a chocolate chip cookie, where the majority was realistic or contemporary in nature and the chocolate chips were the sporadic futuristic elements. This way, we could play games that took place in a familiar world while also being able to suspend our disbelief just enough to enjoy the futuristic or unrealistic aspects.

I think what set MGS4 apart from those games is that it took place in an entirely unfamiliar, super-futuristic world where every detail was also super-futuristic.

Don't get me wrong, it was still a great game. But for me, nothing will beat the unadulterated awesomeness and simplicity of the original MGS.
I can understand that. The setting of MGS4 didn't bother me so much as the hours and hours of plot exposition. I still believe 3 is the greatest game in the series.

Top Bottom