• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Xyro, do you enjoy creating weird computer problems?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Gea, give Xyro enough time and he'll uninstall that too.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
That pic is biased. Thus failing to be an accurate proof of which medium is better.

And of course a BOOK nerd would use a pic like that.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
That pic is biased. Thus failing to be an accurate proof of which medium is better.

And of course a BOOK nerd would use a pic like that.
Don't deny the truth. Find me a pic to rebuttal this, I doubt you can though.

And btw that's not proof of which medium is better, it's depiction of what form of entertainment does what.

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
P4 is right. It is all about what entertainment medium does what, but on the other hand it also compares the two. It makes out that those who play video games look like dummies or those who read books look like nerds, but you do the same thing when you put any two forms of entertainment together. One can't help to compare the two.

@Paw: ME WANT!!!

Xyro77

Books > movies

The picture you chose to "prove" which medium is better is GUSHING bias/misinformation.

1. This pic is comparing reading a book to watching TV, not movies. but im going to assume u wanna use it as movies too, right?

2. The man on the left (book) is a younger better looking person. The guy on the right is wrinkly and has moles/freckles on his head. This left to right example is showing that readers are better looking than tv watchers. If this is false then why not use the same character or comparable characters? An underlying message was being sent and thus proving bias.

3. This pic implies that people who read are either "smarter," reading "educational" books or imagine something having to do with smarts or intelligence which is kinda funny because absolutely the OPPOSITE is true. This pic also implies that tv/movie watchers watch only mindless crap like BayWatch (hence the half naked male) or MTV or advertisements (coke). This pics ONLY PURPOSE depicting movie/tv watchers in a bad light. Thus proving further bias.

4. The "thought bubble" above the guy watching tv/movie shows nothing as if the viewer is literally not thinking a single thing while watching tv. This is 110% incorrect. Whether the show be educational or not, the viewer is constantly wondering whats going to happen next and even picture what could happen next. The voices of the actors can cause images to form in your head of people you may or may not know who have the same/similar voices. Certain scenes can remind you (and thus cause you to picture) of real life/fantasy situations you have been in. Certain songs/background music in a movie/tv show can remind you of all sorts of things in which you have experienced.....ect.

5. I am willing to bet the creator of this picture favors books over movies/tv too. Thus proving the bias once more.

These ^ are just a few examples of how grossly biased and uneducated the picture is. And of course a person who thinks books>movies would post such a thing.

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
You are kind of over analyzing the situation are you, Xyro? It is pretty clear that watching TV in moderation has no ill effect. However, according to studies published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 2011, they came to the conclusion that the more TV you watch, the higher the risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes, among other health conditions.

Stephen Kopecky, M.D. of the Mayo Clinic in Minn, has compared watching three or more hours of TV to High Cholesterol, High blood pressure, and even smoking.

Link to the news report:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/06/14/tv.watching.unhealthy/index.html

Player-4

See you in 25 years
The picture you chose to "prove" which medium is better is GUSHING bias/misinformation.

1. This pic is comparing reading a book to watching TV, not movies. but im going to assume u wanna use it as movies too, right?

2. The man on the left (book) is a younger better looking person. The guy on the right is wrinkly and has moles/freckles on his head. This left to right example is showing that readers are better looking than tv watchers. If this is false then why not use the same character or comparable characters? An underlying message was being sent and thus proving bias.

3. This pic implies that people who read are either "smarter," reading "educational" books or imagine something having to do with smarts or intelligence which is kinda funny because absolutely the OPPOSITE is true. This pic also implies that tv/movie watchers watch only mindless crap like BayWatch (hence the half naked male) or MTV or advertisements (coke). This pics ONLY PURPOSE depicting movie/tv watchers in a bad light. Thus proving further bias.

4. The "thought bubble" above the guy watching tv/movie shows nothing as if the viewer is literally not thinking a single thing while watching tv. This is 110% incorrect. Whether the show be educational or not, the viewer is constantly wondering whats going to happen next and even picture what could happen next. The voices of the actors can cause images to form in your head of people you may or may not know who have the same/similar voices. Certain scenes can remind you (and thus cause you to picture) of real life/fantasy situations you have been in. Certain songs/background music in a movie/tv show can remind you of all sorts of things in which you have experienced.....ect.

5. I am willing to bet the creator of this picture favors books over movies/tv too. Thus proving the bias once more.

These ^ are just a few examples of how grossly biased and uneducated the picture is. And of course a person who thinks books>movies would post such a thing.

Books > movies

Xyro77

You are kind of over analyzing the situation are you, Xyro? It is pretty clear that watching TV in moderation has no ill effect. However, according to studies published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 2011, they came to the conclusion that the more TV you watch, the higher the risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes, among other health conditions.

Stephen Kopecky, M.D. of the Mayo Clinic in Minn, has compared watching three or more hours of TV to High Cholesterol, High blood pressure, and even smoking.

Link to the news report:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/06/14/tv.watching.unhealthy/index.html
long ago studies also showed that going over 60mph stopped your heart.........and yet today we can go hundreds of mph and nothing happens. studies tell use cell phones increase risk of cancer then a few months later a study comes out saying it REDUCES the risk of cancer. same **** with eggs and coffee. one day its bad for you and one day its good for your. flawed/biased beings doing flawed/biased studies in order to make a buck/push an agenda.

but thats besides the point.

i do not think i am over analyzing anything. the pic p4 posted is the typical cartoonish pic/comic you would see in WW1/WW2 era posters and fliers. its heavily biased to get an idea out.

and p4, its interesting how you didn't READ what i said yet you posted a VISUAL response. you are a literal living contradiction when it comes to Books>Movies

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
long ago studies also showed that going over 60mph stopped your heart.........and yet today we can go hundreds of mph and nothing happens. studies tell use cell phones increase risk of cancer then a few months later a study comes out saying it REDUCES the risk of cancer. same **** with eggs and coffee. one day its bad for you and one day its good for your. flawed/biased beings doing flawed/biased studies in order to make a buck/push an agenda.
My points are that throw enough money around, and the academics will say anything, AND say something loud enough, it would eventually become "the truth". Let's take car speed for example. Did you know that the first speeding ticket written in the United States was written in CO for someone going 40 miles an hour. That is again, 4-0. Speed that what we consider chicken**** today if someone was challenging us to a drag race.

You see the reason why people back then thought that they could die going over 60mph was because they don't understand the influences of centrifugal forces on our bodies. They understood that if you turn in a circle, you would eventually go off the road. That is why when they construct a new highway, they bank it(as much as 32 degrees) to keep cars on the road.

Science lesson over!

Xyro77

My points are that throw enough money around, and the academics will say anything, AND say something loud enough, it would eventually become "the truth". Let's take car speed for example. Did you know that the first speeding ticket written in the United States was written in CO for someone going 40 miles an hour. That is again, 4-0. Speed that what we consider chicken**** today if someone was challenging us to a drag race.

You see the reason why people back then thought that they could die going over 60mph was because they don't understand the influences of centrifugal forces on our bodies. They understood that if you turn in a circle, you would eventually go off the road. That is why when they construct a new highway, they bank it(as much as 32 degrees) to keep cars on the road.

Science lesson over!

i understand and agree with all of this^ but how does that have anything to do with Movies>Books? That was my original question.

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
You didn't read the link? That article was dated in 2011. There could have been many more factors that emerged in the two years since the article was written that could have suggested that TV could improve higher brain function, as some research suggested. I wasn't trying to disagree with anyone here to begin with, but since P4 is being childish and not explaining his argument, it seems silly to continue this conversation, do you agree?

"Beware of one hand clapping."

We may be missing the joke, Xyro.

Gea

Smash Master
Has anyone read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss? It's been suggested to me as excellent but I wanted a second opinion.

Trela

Smash Lord
When I go to Apex next year, I'm going to ask Hax for his signature.......and his love.

And Alukard.......mmmm.

Xyro77

Has anyone read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss? It's been suggested to me as excellent but I wanted a second opinion.

HAHAHAHAH a half naked man girl with a banjo and orange hair.

LMAO yeah def skip this **** LOL

movies>books

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom