• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Melee Thread

MT_

Smash Ace
Snyc don't listen to Sybawave he is just trolling. Houston Melee has taken note of the event and will probably show up.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Hello Houston Melee! I'm having Melee at my bi-weekly series (thanks to Admiral!) and I hope you guys can make it out! Here's the thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=309854

I'm going to need help seeding (I'm sorry I haven't really kept up with Melee :/) and other things! Hope to see you guys here :]
Ok, so we have a new theoretical seeding system that I am probably going to use for this. Not sure how well it'll mix with the Brawl players though since I have no measure of their melee skill. I'll just assume the bottom unless they give me a reason not to.

And I think a lot of us are going to show up for this, but there's just one question, can we make it paid if we want? Free venue all day is fine with most of us but we really don't like the fact that there's not going to be a pot.

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
Are there really that many people who care that there's not going to be a pot? I'd enter either way, but I think we'd get a lot less entrants if it was paid. We've had free tournaments before and no one has complained.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Name this event please? Jake Oscar didn't seem too excited about going.

"Why the hell do you want to go to this Brawlf.ag tournament?"
"Mo Money" - Jake

"brawl is g.ay as f.uck
fuc.k brawl players
wbut i will gladly accept them into our community
to further my monetary gain" - Oscar

Most of us HATE free tournaments. There is no point in attending one. They won't have anything to do with rankings either since it's free, there's virtually no risk.

The only reason most of us would even be in the same proximity as those fa.gs would be to take their money.

We've never had a free tournament.

Sync.

Smash Champion
Unfortunately I can't (as much as I wish I could; it's a Gamestop liability thingie). But I'm open to whatever you guys want for seeding. The only notable Brawl players that play Melee with actual knowledge and skill at the game are Gnes, Jerm and Trela but I don't know how good they are relative to the Melee regulars all I know is Jerm beat some people at a tournament somewhere lol.

Sorry I can't have a pot :[

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Unfortunately I can't (as much as I wish I could; it's a Gamestop liability thingie). But I'm open to whatever you guys want for seeding. The only notable Brawl players that play Melee with actual knowledge and skill at the game are Gnes, Jerm and Trela but I don't know how good they are relative to the Melee regulars all I know is Jerm beat some people at a tournament somewhere lol.

Sorry I can't have a pot :[
The last time I played with those players, I ***** them all except for Jerm who is partially active in our community and therefore I know where I should be able to place him.

And I understand about the pot. We will still be there.

Also, for as much trolling and **** that I throw up there, you're dealing with it pretty well. That's nice. If this were FB, I'd give you this emoticon right now (Y)

Sync.

Smash Champion
Lol thanks! Yeah I heard everyone in Melee is really cool so I just thought you were trolling anyway :] Plus you never know with SWF people can be complete different online and offline.

Thanks for planning to come! I really appreciate it :]

I'll see about free food for you guys too (most likely chic-fil-a or pizza)

Sybawave

Smash Ace
The hate that I and most of the community showed you had originally come from Allan and a few other brawl players that stood by his side.

I recently tried to talk to him about having Brawl Melee events but he pretty much shot us down with that and the entire community saw the conversation so that just riled quite a few of us up.

He has his own history of smash story and we have ours. His story has a lot of biased wording in it if you've ever read it.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Most of the melee players aren't really gamers though lol...we're just melee players.

We're old and don't have the time to play that many other games. Especially with melee being as time consuming as it is. But whatever, money is money lololol

By we I meant the actual good melee players. BAM

Sync.

Smash Champion
I see... yeah that sounds like Allan. I'd love to have them together at my events! I run Houston now for the most part (I'm even doing WHOBO) with a little help from Allan every now and then.

I love the Gamestop venue (it's HUGE and food is immediately nearby) and love to have tournaments there but the no pot thing makes a few smashers for both Brawl and Melee (understandably) discouraged. I will probably move the bi-weeklies to a new venue soon so there can be a pot or talk to the district manager about having exceptions for smash (I hope that's not too hard he seems to trust me). Like I said, I would love to have my events have both Brawl and Melee (if that's ok with the Melee community of course) if you guys don't mind the no pot at my next few bi-weeklies.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
We won't mind it there being no pot for now all too much. Never been to the venue but that sounds nice. Also, food being nearby is a given...I mean it is freaking Houston...you could say that about any location trololol.

The no pot thing isn't mainly for winning money. It's more of an assurance to make sure that people will take the game more seriously since they've given up something to prove their worth. Despite there being a gamecard up for grabs, some people like myself for example, have no need for it and thus have no morale to fight for it. So basically, you could have top tier players fighting at half staff while the noobies are beating them at full staff because they want the game card more than just the fun of being in a "tournament setting." They're already talking about doing Low tiers at this tournament just because there's not really that much to prove.

We have another tournament coming up 2 weeks after this one that'll have a pot. This also means that the melee scene will not be able to attend the Bi-weekly that should be happening on the 8th of October.

And the event we tried to coordinate with him that really pissed us off was about WHOBO. We actually were talking about creating a Houston tournament series independent from TYS and possibly calling it "HOMO" just to spite him.

baka4moé

Smash Champion
Most of the melee players aren't really gamers though lol...we're just melee players.

We're old and don't have the time to play that many other games. Especially with melee being as time consuming as it is. But whatever, money is money lololol

By we I meant the actual good melee players. BAM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Sync.

Smash Champion
Lol HOMO! That's pretty funny. Yeah I have an event to be at on Oct 8th so there won't be one then either. But in the future, if you guys would like me to include Melee please let me know and I'll be sure to do so!

Also, about the "sandbagging" thing with free tournaments is something I understand. I have it fixed for Brawl that these tournaments count towards our rankings and stuff like that. It's more of like a practice tournament series for us until I can get money involved.

Lol which WHOBO was it? Was it 3?

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Yeah, I mean it would make sense for us to try our hardest, and don't get me wrong some of us do try our hardest, it's just that I don't want it to have any negative effect on the people who don't feel that it's worth trying for. I'm sure all of our mid tier+ ranks will try hard while the higher ranks kind of slack off and I don't want a higher rank to be disgraced for not trying their best when there wasn't a real reason for him to do so. If it continues and you can't get a pot going, then I'll probably have to force the change into our system like you did with Brawl.

It was for the upcoming WHOBO. We wanted Allan to make sure that people knew that melee was going to happen so that we can invite big names and other cities who owe it to us to come.

I honestly think that HOMO is a good name lol most of the melee scene hated it though. Despite the fact that there have been worse tournament names. And if all goes well then I'm surer than a Falcon tech chasing that we'd want to continue coming to Melee/Brawl events.

Sync.

Smash Champion
That's awesome I'm glad you guys would want to come! I'll see what I can do about WHOBO. I'm relatively new and young for running a national so he's kinda inching me along but overall I'm going to be running it. So I'll see what I can do about Melee :]

baka4moé

Smash Champion
lol sync i wanna meet you. hopefully come december therell be some events!

von for what its worth i would try...competitive melee is the most fun for me, i have the most fun when i play my best, even if i lose.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
WHOMBO Combo, biggest Texas Melee and Brawl tournament around.

Name suggestion.

lol sync i wanna meet you. hopefully come december therell be some events!

von for what its worth i would try...competitive melee is the most fun for me, i have the most fun when i play my best, even if i lose.
I know but that's not everyone's mentality and because of that I can't penalize them for it just yet.

Sybawave

Smash Ace
LOL! OF COURSE SOME STUPID *** BRAWL ***** MOD WOULD JUST WALTZ RIGHT IN HERE AND GIVE AN INFRACTION LOLOLOLOLOLOL

****in troll XDDDDDDDDD THERE'S NO END TO THEIR DUMB ***** I SWEAR TO WHATEVER ****ING TRASH RELIGION Y'ALL BELIEVE IN

Sybawave

Smash Ace
wow, mods should keep to their own boards. It's of such bad taste of some random mod to come here and infract on petty *** offenses when he doesn't belong to this scene and is unaware of our interactions amongst of ourselves. Get out of here.
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Sybawave

Smash Ace
Yeah some random *** Administrator came through and gave me an infraction and then I reported him for things and got another infraction because of the strongly worded message I sent back to him saying how he shouldn't have given me an infraction.

All in good days work.

If it was someone from our area then I would've taken the infraction like a Falcon but since it was some random guy, I felt like it wasn't his place to give me an infraction.

And I got an infraction because of how I was behaving earlier in the thread. Which pretty much refueled my brawl hate again for the day trolololol

That also inspired my partner to do what is seen in the above posts' picture. =D

Oh, and because people seem to be maybe possibly using this thread again:

REMEMBER THAT WE'RE ALL IN FACEBOOK NOW!

We might be having a smashfest later on this week on Thursday. I'll be back with a definite answer but PM me if anyone who isn't on FB wants to come.

Top Bottom