• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hopes for a competitive Smash 3DS community?

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
I hope it all works because it's the version I'm going to get.

I bought the Nintendo Wii simply because Super Smash Bros Brawl was coming out. I also expected sequels to other beloved GC titles such as Kirby Air Ride, Star Fox Assault, and PMTYD. Got none of that and a slight slap to the face when they made an amateur plat former and called it Paper Mario. So I'm not going to touch the Wii U.

I really, really like the 3DS though (even though the 3D feature remains ignored). Nintendo took their sweet time but it's starting to build a respectable library. I'm sure that SMB DS will join it and be one of the best for that library.

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568

I bought the Nintendo Wii simply because Super Smash Bros Brawl was coming out. I also expected sequels to other beloved GC titles such as Kirby Air Ride, Star Fox Assault, and PMTYD. Got none of that and a slight slap to the face when they made an amateur plat former and called it Paper Mario. So I'm not going to touch the Wii U.

I really, really like the 3DS though (even though the 3D feature remains ignored). Nintendo took their sweet time but it's starting to build a respectable library. I'm sure that SMB DS will join it and be one of the best for that library.
Actually, there was a continuation of the Paper Mario series for the Wii. It's called "Super Paper Mario", and if I'm not mistaken, it's widely considered to be the best Paper Mario in the series. Sorry for getting off-topic, though.

Edit: Apparently, I can't read. Sorry about that. I didn't notice your side comment about Paper Mario.

Last edited:

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
Actually, there was a continuation of the Paper Mario series for the Wii. It's called "Super Paper Mario", and if I'm not mistaken, it's widely considered to be the best Paper Mario in the series. Sorry for getting off-topic, though.

Edit: Apparently, I can't read. Sorry about that. I didn't notice your side comment about Paper Mario.
Yeah, I don't think we should get into that other than saying Super Paper Mario was a nice plat-former but comparing it to its predecessors is like comparing Pokemon Mystery Dungeon to the main series. They're different beasts.

I dunno, I just couldn't get behind SPM like I did with PMTYD. It could be nostalgia but TYD aged extremely well.

Still get hit in the feels when I hear this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMlvUlnJNII&list=PL943C3634A05E82BD

Prim3MavericK

Smash Cadet
The portability is a selling factor already for me IMO. You can smash with a stranger or with your friends and if they get competitive enough they'll want to get better to beat you. Also, it makes crew battles more exciting as you and your friends face off against another group. I really don't know what the 3DS version of Smash4 has but that's what I'm hoping will happen and more.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
I feel like the main problem with the circle pad is the "stickiness". I've played DOA:D on it, and it worked okay, but it's got so much traction it's a little odd, and definitely is difficult to get used to.

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
It might have competitive play but it's probably going to have hacks for it to balance and tweak is slightly, not completely unlike Project M.

Prim3MavericK

Smash Cadet
I'm guessing Smash 4 is gonna get PM'd for both versions. I mean, the 3DS' main memory is an SD Card so I dont see why not

BANCHEEE

Smash Rookie
What are the chances of the 3ds version having a ladder on MLG ? Thats what im hoping for.

Moneymike1025

Smash Rookie
first time poster, dont know if someone has mentioned this(at work no time to read everything) but with a 3ds version and a wii u version being released, coupled with sakurai's resistance to making the game melee-competitive(as seen with brawl) what if one version is made to appease the competitive crowd with the other being the party game intended for casuals? if this were to happen i could actually see the 3ds version being released as the 'competitive' title with wii u being the casual party game. probably wont happen but it would be neat if it happened.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

Nintendo hater detected, lack of recognizing Super Paper Mario as a great game detected.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
It might have competitive play but it's probably going to have hacks for it to balance and tweak is slightly, not completely unlike Project M.
OK, how is it a competitive Smash Bros. scene? Sounds to me like "Let's play this game that uses Smash Bros. illegally as a base! WAVEDASSU TAIKOO!"

Prim3MavericK

Smash Cadet
first time poster, dont know if someone has mentioned this(at work no time to read everything) but with a 3ds version and a wii u version being released, coupled with sakurai's resistance to making the game melee-competitive(as seen with brawl) what if one version is made to appease the competitive crowd with the other being the party game intended for casuals? if this were to happen i could actually see the 3ds version being released as the 'competitive' title with wii u being the casual party game. probably wont happen but it would be neat if it happened.
http://kotaku.com/the-next-smash-bros-will-balance-casual-and-hardcore-513211771

I have this link to post because according to this article, Sakurai will balance "hardcore" and "casual"

Last edited:

Nate$

Smash Satan
NNID
TheKisameH
Sorry, I'm new here... But I enjoy Smash Bros, both casually, and competitively. I've been hearing that there's no hope for a competitive community on the 3DS version, but I think it's very possible. I have a few ideas, but I want to hear your ideas for a successful community.
I just feel like the controls will be really very limited on the 3ds. We most likely wont get C-stick which is pretty frustrating.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
Nintendo hater detected, lack of recognizing Super Paper Mario as a great game detected.
whoa, you actually made a good post!
more of this pls

anyway the 3DS version is limited more by its controls and the fact that multiplayer is relatively inconvenient

ofmars

Smash Rookie
Even if the wii u version ends up being the main version. I just hope its fun to play and compete with.

Just pre-ordered my copy of the 3ds version yesterday :088:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
I dunno, he did make the game faster, and also take out tripping. Implying that he has at least listened to the fans.
Is that why Sakurai added tripping? To decrease people wanting to play competitively? My friend and I were wondering why he would include something to just consciously trip you up.

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
I will definitely be participating in both Wii U/3DS tournaments.

Although, I can't decide which tournament experience I'd like more.

Both have their own benefits.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
There will probably be a 3DS community, but it might be outclassed by the Wii U version.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't it be funny if the 3ds version was a better game than the wiiu version in terms of game mechanics?

Soul.

This game will have a competitive community, just as long as the people who are in the competitive community make Smash 3DS the best it can be.
In the end, though, it's pretty obvious it will get one.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
So much necromancy going on.

But yeah, there'll definitely be a competitive scene until the U version hits, and maybe even beyond then. It's up to the players in each area. I know I'll be trying to get a small one going in Raleigh, NC.

Soul.

So much necromancy going on.
But yeah, there'll definitely be a competitive scene until the U version hits, and maybe even beyond then.
I think this game's competiitve scene will still be there even if the Wii U version is out. I mean, like, do you need a Wii U to be a "competitive player"? I understand what you're saying, but yeah, there will be people playing the 3DS version competitively with their own community, (online) tournaments, friendlies in the online multiplayer, etc.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I think this game's competiitve scene will still be there even if the Wii U version is out. I mean, like, do you need a Wii U to be a "competitive player"? I understand what you're saying, but yeah, there will be people playing the 3DS version competitively with their own community, (online) tournaments, friendlies in the online multiplayer, etc.
I don't think it'll take a U to be competitive, I just expect that, largely due to simplicity of streaming (doesn't take a hardware mod or weird camera setups), the U version will be more accessible from the spectator side of the sport (which is pretty important for long-term success). I've little doubt the 3DS version will still be popular and have tournaments, I just don't expect it to be as big as the U version.

Soul.

I don't think it'll take a U to be competitive, I just expect that, largely due to simplicity of streaming (doesn't take a hardware mod or weird camera setups), the U version will be more accessible from the spectator side of the sport (which is pretty important for long-term success). I've little doubt the 3DS version will still be popular and have tournaments, I just don't expect it to be as big as the U version.
Well, they could try making it big. Most people have a 3DS, so maybe those people will try to be competitive on this game.
You really don't need to doubt (well, you can), it's obvious it will still be popular and have tournaments. Not everything can be on Wii U as I said before. We should all give the 3DS version a chance. lol

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think the competitive scene (as in local tournaments) will be almost nonexistent with the 3DS version. I don't really care, though, because I am not interested in local tournaments. I hope there are online tournaments, if the online isn't awful, of course.

Soul.

I think the competitive scene (as in local tournaments) will be almost nonexistent with the 3DS version. I don't really care, though, because I am not interested in local tournaments. I hope there are online tournaments, if the online isn't awful, of course.
Yeah, online tournaments will be a thing. I don't think the online will be awful. Other 3DS games had online and they weren't awful, so I think Smash 3DS' online will be good.

Raijinken

Smash Master
On the contrary, I can see local tournaments being bigger than Online for a while, just nothing much larger scale than Local.

Reila

On the contrary, I can see local tournaments being bigger than Online for a while, just nothing much larger scale than Local.
For a while, maybe, but after the Wii U version is out, I dunno.

Though with the 3DS player base likely being considerably bigger, it is possible that the tournament scene for the 3DS will be considerably big.

Raijinken

Smash Master
For a while, maybe, but after the Wii U version is out, I dunno.

Though with the 3DS player base likely being considerably bigger, it is possible that the tournament scene for the 3DS will be considerably big.
We'll have to wait and see. I can easily see the 3DS always kinda having side-tournaments while the bigger U tournaments go on, due to simplicity of setup.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
It will be competitive, just look at Nintendo Challenge Live.
The only reason some think it won't be competitive is probably because of 'controls', which is just an excuse because they don't want to try something new. :ohwell:

Soul.

It will be competitive, just look at Nintendo Challenge Live.
The only reason some think it won't be competitive is probably because of 'controls', which is just an excuse because they don't want to try something new. :ohwell:
Lol. Smash 3DS will be competitive regardless of controls, we'll get used to them eventually, so yeah.
It's a new experience anyway.

Reila

Some ~hardcore~ Smash players (the ones popular in the community) will likely not play Smash 3DS competitively and I think the controls being different from the Gamecube controller will be one of the reasons for that. The 3DS version will have its own different community with different people, I suppose. I am not saying no one will play both versions competitively, but that the competitive scenes will be considerably different.

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I don't see why such a good game won't be competitive. I mean seriously look at the SDCC Super Smash Bros. 3DS Tournament those Bowser's literally proved it to me already.

thatspoetry

Smash Cadet
everyone simply needs to walk around with their 3DS with code :333 with the colon and everyone will be registered as a competetive player
Sincerely,
Rendus Galybine

TheZapp

Smash Journeyman
Some people own a 3ds and aren't gonna buy a Wii U to play smash when its coming on 3ds.
For me, the 3ds will be the only version and I'm sure there will be a competitive community

Reila

Some people own a 3ds and aren't gonna buy a Wii U to play smash when its coming on 3ds.
This is me here. There is no way I am buying a Wii U, unless the 3DS version of Smash runs like garbage for some reason.

Top Bottom