• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hopes for a competitive Smash 3DS community?

PokeJiggs

Smash Rookie
Sorry, I'm new here... But I enjoy Smash Bros, both casually, and competitively. I've been hearing that there's no hope for a competitive community on the 3DS version, but I think it's very possible. I have a few ideas, but I want to hear your ideas for a successful community.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Well, depending on whether or not it supports a c-stick function, I feel will make a big impact. They could use the CCP, Touch Screen(Like SSIV), or the circle/d-pad, Also, the 3ds stages will also make a big impact, possibly giving one character more of an advantage across the stages, but this also applies to WIIU. Lastly if either version has exclusive online it could make that community develop much faster, leaving the other in the dust.

PokeJiggs

Smash Rookie
Well, depending on whether or not it supports a c-stick function, I feel will make a big impact. They could use the CCP, Touch Screen(Like SSIV), or the circle/d-pad, Also, the 3ds stages will also make a big impact, possibly giving one character more of an advantage across the stages, but this also applies to WIIU. Lastly if either version has exclusive online it could make that community develop much faster, leaving the other in the dust.
Both versions will probably have online. (KI:U) The touch screen will probably be used for displaying info, damage, etc...

To record the matches for streaming, one can use a capture card on replays. Same goes for doubles.

Now the CPP will most likely be implimented into the controls. Why wouldn't it be? The only possible competitive stages we're seeing at the mo, are Battlefield, and Arena Ferox. There may be some character advantages, but who knows at this point?

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I think they both probably will, but part of me thinks only the WII U will to increase sales.
Yes, but I'd prefer uploading off the systems directly if possible, like Pokemon X/Y.
Maybe if they made the replays transferable this time through the SD Cards.
I think it will have every control scheme available, like Brawl, but I'm just curious as to how it would function.
Well I figured we were speculating, and character advantages are something to consider if the legal stages aren't as diverse.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Knowing Smash fans, it'll happen. Probably won't be as big as the Wii U though... Though we might end up being the underdog...
BTW welcome to Smashboards! :)

Morbi

Scavenger
There will always be a competitive community for everything (more specifically, any game). So I am doubtful that this will be an exception.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Yeah but I guess I'm trying to say it won't be as big like you guys said.
But then again, if the WIIU doesn't sell good it may see less attention.

GreatPumpkin

Smash Rookie
NNID
XxGreatPumpkinxX
3DS FC
4785-5672-2490
A competitive community will pretty much inevitably happen, but its going to feel very forced. Sakurai is probably going to do anything he can to discourage competitive play, both in the game's actual developoment and out, but ultimately it'l happen. I am just extremely curious about how the game is going to feel on the 3DS.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
A competitive community will pretty much inevitably happen, but its going to feel very forced. Sakurai is probably going to do anything he can to discourage competitive play, both in the game's actual developoment and out, but ultimately it'l happen. I am just extremely curious about how the game is going to feel on the 3DS.
I dunno, he did make the game faster, and also take out tripping. Implying that he has at least listened to the fans.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
The 3DS version will probably have a solid competitive community with the support for online matches.

PokeJiggs

Smash Rookie
Although this may be true, Sakurai wouldn't go that far just to stop a community of "maniacs." We saw what happened when Sakurai and Nintendo tried to stop Smash from being held at EVO. It would be foolish to do everything you can to ruin the fun of others. There would be massive backlash.

Sakurai is even being considerate to competitive players. He made the game faster, and removed tripping. He thought that Brawl would be suitable for both casuals and competitive players. While there still is a small competitive scene for Brawl, it was just too slow for many, and Sakurai understood their complaints.

I believe that the reason that Sakurai and Nintendo tried to cancel Melee
at EVO, was by holding a tournament for an old game instead of the sequel, was basically telling them that Brawl sucks. From what I know, Sakurai never tried to shut down a Brawl tournament. With this in mind, I doubt Sakurai will ever touch this community.

I also wonder what it will feel like on 3DS. Would it still be possible to dashdance?

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I'm sure there will be a competetive scene for the 3DS one we were talking about it way back when. I even talked about this in my currently continued Brawl Let's Play. But I will say when it comes to people like Shokio who will just say the 3DS can't have a competetive scene because of blah blah blah, Don't be discouraged this think about us....(kinda) We want the 3DS Smash Bros. Competetive Scene because I'm sure most of us on this thread won't like it being overshadowed by the Wii U version. We want this to have a Competetive scene also, Just don't listen to those who say I can't have a competetive scene because it's not "On a big screen" or whatever, We got your back.....I think......But I got your back just incase.

Btw welcome to Smashboards!
(I'm actually not new here even though it says Smash Rookie for me. I've been here longer than you think, I just made this new account that's all) But welcome anyway fellow smasher.

PokeJiggs

Smash Rookie
I'm sure there will be a competetive scene for the 3DS one we were talking about it way back when. I even talked about this in my currently continued Brawl Let's Play. But I will say when it comes to people like Shokio who will just say the 3DS can't have a competetive scene because of blah blah blah, Don't be discouraged this think about us....(kinda) We want the 3DS Smash Bros. Competetive Scene because I'm sure most of us on this thread won't like it being overshadowed by the Wii U version. We want this to have a Competetive scene also, Just don't listen to those who say I can't have a competetive scene because it's not "On a big screen" or whatever, We got your back.....I think......But I got your back just incase.

Btw welcome to Smashboards!
(I'm actually not new here even though it says Smash Rookie for me. I've been here longer than you think, I just made this new account that's all) But welcome anyway fellow smasher.
Thanks bro!

Rath420

Smash Rookie
They have actually announced that they are attempting to make it more competitive (aka more like melee than brawl) which is a pretty big shift from what Nintendo thought about melee. Anyways this is pretty great, because we will soon have another good smash bros game that has online play. My big question is will the online be done better than Brawl's whole "only time battle" bull spit?

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I believe that the reason that Sakurai and Nintendo tried to cancel Melee
at EVO, was by holding a tournament for an old game instead of the sequel, was basically telling them that Brawl sucks. From what I know, Sakurai never tried to shut down a Brawl tournament. With this in mind, I doubt Sakurai will ever touch this community.
False, Melee's streaming fiasco at EVO was due to overzealous Nintendo lawyers. Sakurai was in no way involved, and as soon as the higher ups heard about it, the event was put back on.

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
False, Melee's streaming fiasco at EVO was due to overzealous Nintendo lawyers. Sakurai was in no way involved, and as soon as the higher ups heard about it, the event was put back on.

Lol I have nothing to object to, I just really felt like saying it :3

Hopefully Smash bros 4 can appeal to both casual and competitive gamer's.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
It will definitely have a competitive community, especially if people are willing to make it happen.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I feel like the 3DS version will outsell the Wii U version. It's realistic. Most people already have a 3DS compared to a Wii U (although I have a Wii U and no 3DS yet). Sure, the Wii U version will be superior I'm guessing, in practically everyway except its not portable (outside of the house).

When I had a 3DS it was always very quick when looking for opponents online and such; I'm sure Smash Bros would only extend that.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Here's a few questions.
How are we gonna be able to stream?
How exactly can we make tournaments fast and efficient? Especially since we're gonna have to deal with loading?
How can we make this big?
And how can we prove that we can set ourselves apart from the Wii U?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Here's a few questions.
How are we gonna be able to stream?
How exactly can we make tournaments fast and efficient? Especially since we're gonna have to deal with loading?
How can we make this big?
And how can we prove that we can set ourselves apart from the Wii U?
With the 3DS fast and efficient tournaments shouldn't even be a problem. It isn't like with the console where it becomes if you have to few and people have to end up swapping them out to progress the tourney. With the 3DS everyone will have their system with them which alone makes it much much faster. We can't really take loading into account until we know how fast it, many 3DS gmes go through the loading/save screens/stuff fast, Pokemon XY did, I believe KIU did as well, ToTA went 100 times faster then the pS2 version did, and other. In fact the only 3DS game i play where save status we slow was Etrian Odyssey 4 but Etrian Odyssey Untold went a lot faster with the save status.

Develop a community outside of online and actually try to keep it alive. Have the 3DS be separate from the Wii-U when it comes to things like the tier lists and stuff, Get it its own official Broom.

See above.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
Wii U version is obviously going to be the competitive standard, but that doesn't mean tournaments (especially online) can't be set up
and of course I look forward to scrubs complaining about losing even when the pros aren't playing

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
I can't see the 3DS scene taking off unless Nintendo develops some kind of joystick peripheral that you can attach to your 3DS. There are already enough people pissed that the console version won't let you use the Gamecube controller.

Of course this is just me wishing that Nintendo develops a good peripheral. My circle pad is going to snap off from a game like Smash.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I can't see the 3DS scene taking off unless Nintendo develops some kind of joystick peripheral that you can attach to your 3DS. There are already enough people pissed that the console version won't let you use the Gamecube controller.

Of course this is just me wishing that Nintendo develops a good peripheral. My circle pad is going to snap off from a game like Smash.
I actually don't think it will.

Have you play KIU? The game has you flick and using the Circle Pad as much, if not more, as Smash does. And it hasn't brought anyone trouble in terms of things like that breaking.

Do some research before you make uninformed posts on the durability of something. 3DS ain't no friggen 3rd party controller FFS, it's durable, durable like a first part GCC (probably more, since it is more important if something on the 3DS breaks then a controller).

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I actually don't think it will.

Have you play KIU? The game has you flick and using the Circle Pad as much, if not more, as Smash does. And it hasn't brought anyone trouble in terms of things like that breaking.

Do some research before you make uninformed posts on the durability of something. 3DS ain't no friggen 3rd party controller FFS, it's durable, durable like a first part GCC (probably more, since it is more important if something on the 3DS breaks then a controller).
Speaking of KIU I'm playin it right now lol. But yes it's true is even one thing breaks on your 3DS it's best to send it to Nintendo (What I did when my XL's screen somehow got a crack in it.) I think they honestly made the Circle Pad be super sturdy. It really won't break no matter how much flicking is acquired.

Seputo

Smash Rookie
While we're on the topic of the Circle Pad, does anyone see "eggshell" overlays for the Circle Pad/Circle Pad Pro being possible, or even popular? I can't imagine doing any sort of accurate directional movement without a GameCube-like analog stick.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I wasn't a fan of eggshells. Most of my GC remotes either had it corrode away due to crappy quality or wound up being chewed off by my dog(s). Playing with the bare analog "stick" was brutal on the thumbs.

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I wasn't a fan of eggshells. Most of my GC remotes either had it corrode away due to crappy quality or wound up being chewed off by my dog(s). Playing with the bare analog "stick" was brutal on the thumbs.
I have one gamecube controller with the eggshell off and one on. I don't even know what happened to that eggshell actually....

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
3DS Smash competitive scene guaranteed!

Take notes from the Pokemon X/Y scene in terms on setups, streams, capture devices, etc. It will likely find its own control style different from those of the Wii U to fulfill necessary control functions such as the C-Stick.

GiantBoyDetective

Smash Cadet
Sorry, I'm new here... But I enjoy Smash Bros, both casually, and competitively. I've been hearing that there's no hope for a competitive community on the 3DS version, but I think it's very possible. I have a few ideas, but I want to hear your ideas for a successful community.
I think it will take a backseat to the Wii U version and will be more of a time passer between matches, but that doesn't mean there won't be scene :D

Rath420

Smash Rookie
I think it will take a backseat to the Wii U version and will be more of a time passer between matches, but that doesn't mean there won't be scene :D
I mean, who doesn't wanna play smash while they watch smashers smash at a smash tournament before they go smash?

Deap

Smash Ace
NNID
Deap92x
I think it will be like a normal 3DS game with online like Mario Kart, i mean online communities and online tournaments. But i am not expecting to see local 3DS tournaments because that's where the WiiU version comes in.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I mean, who doesn't wanna play smash while they watch smashers smash at a smash tournament before they go smash?
That sounds smashing! *turns into Nigel Thornberry*
Anyways, the 3DS has a lot of good things going for it. The Wii U will probably have more people playing it competitively, but I doubt the 3DS isn't going to have a scene.

Top Bottom