• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hope in the future? A retrospect for Geno, Krystal, Ridley, etc fans.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If you're like most people here, you've seen the roster and, chances are, you are disappointed with at least one thing about it. Maybe you're disappointed that Ganondorf and Young Link are still clones. Maybe you're disappointed that Fox, a character who most people wanted nerfed, now has two semi-clones (Luigified versions, for you sensitive types) that seem just as broken. Maybe you're disappointed with the addition of ROB. Maybe you're disappointed because one of your most wanted characters didn't make the cut. I'm here to address this last group.

Geno, Krystal, Ridley, Megaman, Isaac, Takamaru, etc are not playable, that much is obvious. If you're like many people here, you wanted at least one of these characters in. The point of this thread is to help fans like yourself look at the future to SSB4 and realise that these characters stand a decent chance of becoming playable in the next installment. No, I'm not being delusional but I am trying to be logical based on what we saw for Melee and Brawl.

Let's take a look at the new characters that were added in Melee and compare how well they did on the offical Melee poll back in 2001:

Bowser (Most requested character overall and first in the Mario category)

Peach (Second most requested character in the Mario category)

Ganondorf (Most requested character in the Zelda category)

Young Link, Zelda, and Shiek (Tied for the second most requested character in the Zelda category)

Falco (Most requested character in the Star Fox category)

Mewtwo (Most requested character in the Pokemon category)

Marth (Most requested character in the Fire Emblem category)

A lot of fan requests in there, wasn't there? The Ice Climbers, who only had 4 votes, became playable to represent a retro franchise, Mr. Game and Watch was added as the WTF character, and Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Roy were added simply because Sakurai wanted them there.

When this roster was revealed though, like now, many people were very upset. Where's Wario, they asked. What about King Dedede? Diddy Kong isn't even in the game!?! Some of the most popular choices were left on the cutting room floor. Some were explained (like Metaknight, Dedede, and Pit) and others weren't (Diddy, Wario, and Wolf). Like now, many still saw Melee as a fun game but it felt lacking in the roster especially with all the clones (history really does repeat itself, eh?).

Fast forward to the present day and we are once again in the same prediciment, deserving and unique characters getting the shaft and the roster being stuffed to the gills with clones and semi-clones. Upon closer inspection, we learn something very intersting; most of the characters in Brawl's roster were characters that the fans heavily wanted in Melee and it showed in the Melee poll. Allow me to show you:

Wario (Third most requested character in the Mario category)

Pokemon Trainer/Red (Third most requested character in the Pokemon category)

King Dedede (Most requested character in the Kirby category.)

Metaknight (Third most requested character in the Kirby category.)

Wolf (Third most requested character in the Star Fox category *behind Slippy, actually*)

Diddy Kong (Third most requested character in the Rare Ware category *behind James Bond and Banjo/Kazooie*)

Pit was in the Melee poll too and recieved 5 votes.

It was confirmed by Kojima that Snake was considered for Melee but was left out due to time constraints.

It was confirmed by Naka that Sonic was considered for Melee but was left out due to time constraints.

That leaves everyone except ROB (the WTF character), Olimar (most requested stand alone Nintendo franchise character in the Brawl poll), Ike (most requested Fire Emblem character, obviously) and Lucario (take a wild guess).

Now notice how Sakurai took out the three characters from Melee he choose for his own reasons (Pichu, Roy, and Dr. Mario) and a character that many of the fans agree he "messed up" on (Mewtwo).

Now with this line of logic, let's hypthosize what Nintendo might do for the next Smash Bros game. Corresponding to the Brawl poll, Sakurai created a journal that contained the 290 entries into the poll that interested him and his staff the most. There were 21 characters that were mentioned more then once in this journal and only 9 that were mentioned 3 times or more. It's no surprize that most of these characters corresponded to what the fans wanted. These were those characters:

King Dedede (5 entries)
Geno (5 entries)
Diddy Kong (4 entries)
Ike (4 entries)
Ridley (4 entries)
Captain Olimar (3 entries)
Wind Waker Link (3 entries)
Krystal (3 entries)
Takamaru (3 entries)

It should also be noted that the only third party character *besides Geno* that was mentioned more then once was Megaman with 2 entries.

King Dedede and Diddy Kong, characters that people heavily wanted in Melee, became playable, Ridley became a boss that you fight not once but twice, Ike and Olimar became playable, Young Link was made into Toon Link, Krystal so far has only been confirmed to have a cameo, and the whereabouts of Geno and Takamaru are still unknown.

Now, based on what I've laid out, what can be hypothesized? For Melee, Sakurai used many characters that many people felt should have been in the original and a few that were current fan favorites. For Brawl, he did exactly the same thing. For both of these situations, the big fan favorites were made available straight from the get-go so what would stop them from doing it in the next game? From what I've laid, Ridley is obviously the front runner for Metroid, Krystal the front runner for Star Fox, Geno is the front runner for Mario, and Megaman is front runner for third party. What's interesting about these observations is that Sakurai and his team have looked more to the past then the present to decide their roster and I'm very confident that it'll happen again 5-6 years down the road.

It may not be much but it's definately something to think about.

Well, I'm being forced out the computer lab so I'll have to add on to this once I come back from Paris in a few days. Until then, don't let your character dreams just yet.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
Nice OP, but this is Sakurai's last SSB game, so let's hope that whomever make take his place will continue with your poll theory/fact :].

CyberWolf10

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well said. I was considering saying something along those lines, but considering I never post here anymore and you worded it better...Yeah XP.

It's more or less the same thing all over again. Not entirely identical, since Smashboards was big but not as big back then, but still.

And yes, it will be interesting to see what Sakurai's successor does.

Rubydragon

Smash Ace
Indeed, if there is a Super Smash Bros. 4, Sakurai will probably not be making it; If there is one, however, I hope the maker was a fan of this series and felt Sakurai's pain when Sakurai decided to include characters like R.O.B., Wind Waker Link, Wolf over Krystal (even though I believe Wolf deserved a spot), etc. Maybe he will, but first there has to be a confirmed Super Smash Bros. 4. That, or expansion packs. :p

I also hope the next Golden Sun comes out in the next years it takes for Nintendo to announce SSB4; that would be wonderful for a GS rep in this game. Takamaru, Ray, Ridley, Krystal, Geno, and others were characters I really wanted to see in this game. A few 'now or never' characters have lost their chances (like Midna), unless they happen to still be alive in gaming when SSB4 comes out. I truly hope it does; this character list seems just too bland for me.

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
There's a problem here...what IF Sylux becomes a major part of the Metroid series by SSB4's announcement? (Based on the Hunters ending) WILL he uproot Ridley as a top choice, due to Ridley's obvious inclusion as a boss in Brawl? That worries me...

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
I certainly hope Geno's in the next one.
who knows, he threatened to blow up Japan if he wasn't in this one...so there may be nobody left to make a SSB4

There's a problem here...what IF Sylux becomes a major part of the Metroid series by SSB4's announcement? (Based on the Hunters ending) WILL he uproot Ridley as a top choice, due to Ridley's obvious inclusion as a boss in Brawl? That worries me...
well everyone loves sylux, he was obviously the best hunter. There is no reason to say that they can't both be in though, metroid is such a major franchise that it deserves three spots...and sylux could have a lot of originality

Timekeeper

Smash Cadet
1- Ridley
2- King K. Rool
3- Krystal
4- Bowser Jr.
5- Claus
6- Samurai Goroh
7- Balloon Fighter
8- Third Party
9- Unexpected Newcomer (think Pokemon Trainer)
10- WTH Character (one NO ONE predicts)
11- Isaac
12- New Nintendo Franchise (think Pikmin type franchise)
13- Saki Amiyama (he was almost in Brawl)
14- Third Party
15- Unexpected Newcomer

That's a reasonable expectation, giving us a nice 50 character roster for SSB4

Characters we can consider:

Ray, Chibi-Robo, Animal Crossing Character, Mach Rider, Sigurd, etc

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Let me state some characters that will almost certainly not be in the next Smash:

Geno: If the next Smash appears in the next oh 6 years, he will have lost most popularity.

Isaac: Anyone heard of Golden Sun 3? Yeah, if that excels, watch out for it's main charcter to be repped.

Now, some characters that will certainly be in!:

Ray 01: Custom Robo will probably survive till the next Smash.

Advance Wars CO: It's going to happen!

Little Mac: Pit, Metaknight, and Olimar were trophies in Melee...

AtomicBucket

Smash Rookie
I don't believe Sakurai is bound to his word. By this, I mean he is currently working as a freelancer. I'm sure that somewhere down the line Iwata will ask him one more to make 'Super Smash bros. X2' and Sakurai will think it over.

Who knows?

D

Deleted member

I think you mean Corruption's :p.

And yes, he probably will be. Hunters was made by Nintendo to find a rival figure for Samus, I've checked up on that. Its most likely we'll see him again, and besides, he may be an AT in Brawl.

The sun is slowly rising on Sylux.

But a think we're all ignoring a FAR more likely newcomer, so likely in fact its almost impossible to deny him entry: Waluigi.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
If DLC doesn't come through--which it probably won't--I will continue hoping for Claus for SSB4. The next game will undoubtedly get another MOTHER rep, and Claus is truly the ONLY candidate worthy of the spot. Indeed, the travesty that is a Masked Man-less Brawl is nowhere near that abomination that would be a Claus-less SSB4. ;)

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
Geno will not lose popularity I don't think ... perhaps he will be making a different sort of cameo appearance further down the road (psst... get on sending emails to Mario Kart developers!)

And who knows, maybe SE and Nintendo will make another SMRPG, or at the very least, they'll get it on the virtual console, where he will be exposed to a younger audience. Or maybe Nintendo will buy the rights to geno from SE.

There's a Sonic RPG is being made by fricken Bioware, so stranger things are happening in the world today. You never know.

LuisMa316

Smash Cadet
who knows, he threatened to blow up Japan if he wasn't in this one...so there may be nobody left to make a SSB4

well everyone loves sylux, he was obviously the best hunter. There is no reason to say that they can't both be in though, metroid is such a major franchise that it deserves three spots...and sylux could have a lot of originality

Well,there's the fact that Metroid isn't that popular overthere as it is here.

TheLake

Smash Master
Your the man. This was the tissue to my krystal dreams.

I kinda wanted this to be the epic finale though...(third times the charm *sigh* but alas)

LuisMa316

Smash Cadet
And personally i like this Roster.

I mean i got Lucario,Dedede,Meta-Knight,Sonic,Snake,Ike,etc.

You all knew not everyone makes it in and hey Life doesn't always turn out they way you want it.

Look guys i see where you're coming from.....but at the end of the day this is just guesswork....unless someone here lands a job at nintendo.

Just saying.

Al Calnos

Smash Journeyman
Ya know, after the roster was revealed I wasn't too disappointed. I was hoping for Ridley, Geno, but alas it didn't happen. Then I realized, were we asking too much as far as characters went?

Look at everything else they gave us. They gave us Online, an Epic Story mode with co-op, a stage builder and the ability to download new stages straight from Nintendo, a MASSIVE soundtrack with music composed by the best in the industry, hundreds of new collectibles, and so on. That and on top of that we wanted unique original characters for the most part, which would require even more time to make.

I'm sure the decisions came down to something like "Hm, badass purple dragon or online modes?" They did their best, and gave us some truly unique characters such as Red and Olimar, and awesome characters such as Solid Snake. Plus they brought back most of the good characters from Melee and luigi-fied Ganon and Falco.

We should be proud of the job they did, and when March 9th comes around we'll know the glory that is Brawl.

Hey, at least Pichu isn't in it this time :laugh:

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
Well said, hopefully if there ever is a next SSB it will have all our favorite characters and each with their own unique moveset.

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
"You may be disappointed in not getting your favorite character in, so just spend another several years hoping they get into SSB4"

Megaman Ryan

Smash Rookie
Actually, it is completely official that Krystal will only have a cameo and not be playable.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
If you're like most people here, you've seen the roster and, chances are, you are disappointed with at least one thing about it. Maybe you're disappointed that Ganondorf and Young Link are still clones. Maybe you're disappointed that Fox, a character who most people wanted nerfed, now has two semi-clones (Luigified versions, for you sensitive types) that seem just as broken. Maybe you're disappointed with the addition of ROB. Maybe you're disappointed because one of your most wanted characters didn't make the cut. I'm here to address this last group.

Geno, Krystal, Ridley, Megaman, Isaac, Takamaru, etc are not playable, that much is obvious. If you're like many people here, you wanted at least one of these characters in. The point of this thread is to help fans like yourself look at the future to SSB4 and realise that these characters stand a decent chance of becoming playable in the next installment. No, I'm not being delusional but I am trying to be logical based on what we saw for Melee and Brawl.

Let's take a look at the new characters that were added in Melee and compare how well they did on the offical Melee poll back in 2001:

Bowser (Most requested character overall and first in the Mario category)

Peach (Second most requested character in the Mario category)

Ganondorf (Most requested character in the Zelda category)

Young Link, Zelda, and Shiek (Tied for the second most requested character in the Zelda category)

Falco (Most requested character in the Star Fox category)

Mewtwo (Most requested character in the Pokemon category)

Marth (Most requested character in the Fire Emblem category)

A lot of fan requests in there, wasn't there? The Ice Climbers, who only had 4 votes, became playable to represent a retro franchise, Mr. Game and Watch was added as the WTF character, and Dr. Mario, Pichu, and Roy were added simply because Sakurai wanted them there.

When this roster was revealed though, like now, many people were very upset. Where's Wario, they asked. What about King Dedede? Diddy Kong isn't even in the game!?! Some of the most popular choices were left on the cutting room floor. Some were explained (like Metaknight, Dedede, and Pit) and others weren't (Diddy, Wario, and Wolf). Like now, many still saw Melee as a fun game but it felt lacking in the roster especially with all the clones (history really does repeat itself, eh?).

Fast forward to the present day and we are once again in the same prediciment, deserving and unique characters getting the shaft and the roster being stuffed to the gills with clones and semi-clones. Upon closer inspection, we learn something very intersting; most of the characters in Brawl's roster were characters that the fans heavily wanted in Melee and it showed in the Melee poll. Allow me to show you:

Wario (Third most requested character in the Mario category)

Pokemon Trainer/Red (Third most requested character in the Pokemon category)

King Dedede (Most requested character in the Kirby category.)

Metaknight (Third most requested character in the Kirby category.)

Wolf (Third most requested character in the Star Fox category *behind Slippy, actually*)

Diddy Kong (Third most requested character in the Rare Ware category *behind James Bond and Banjo/Kazooie*)

Pit was in the Melee poll too and recieved 5 votes.

It was confirmed by Kojima that Snake was considered for Melee but was left out due to time constraints.

It was confirmed by Naka that Sonic was considered for Melee but was left out due to time constraints.

That leaves everyone except ROB (the WTF character), Olimar (most requested stand alone Nintendo franchise character in the Brawl poll), Ike (most requested Fire Emblem character, obviously) and Lucario (take a wild guess).

Now notice how Sakurai took out the three characters from Melee he choose for his own reasons (Pichu, Roy, and Dr. Mario) and a character that many of the fans agree he "messed up" on (Mewtwo).

Now with this line of logic, let's hypthosize what Nintendo might do for the next Smash Bros game. Corresponding to the Brawl poll, Sakurai created a journal that contained the 290 entries into the poll that interested him and his staff the most. There were 21 characters that were mentioned more then once in this journal and only 9 that were mentioned 3 times or more. It's no surprize that most of these characters corresponded to what the fans wanted. These were those characters:

King Dedede (5 entries)
Geno (5 entries)
Diddy Kong (4 entries)
Ike (4 entries)
Ridley (4 entries)
Captain Olimar (3 entries)
Wind Waker Link (3 entries)
Krystal (3 entries)
Takamaru (3 entries)

It should also be noted that the only third party character *besides Geno* that was mentioned more then once was Megaman with 2 entries.

King Dedede and Diddy Kong, characters that people heavily wanted in Melee, became playable, Ridley became a boss that you fight not once but twice, Ike and Olimar became playable, Young Link was made into Toon Link, Krystal so far has only been confirmed to have a cameo, and the whereabouts of Geno and Takamaru are still unknown.

Now, based on what I've laid out, what can be hypothesized? For Melee, Sakurai used many characters that many people felt should have been in the original and a few that were current fan favorites. For Brawl, he did exactly the same thing. For both of these situations, the big fan favorites were made available straight from the get-go so what would stop them from doing it in the next game? From what I've laid, Ridley is obviously the front runner for Metroid, Krystal the front runner for Star Fox, Geno is the front runner for Mario, and Megaman is front runner for third party. What's interesting about these observations is that Sakurai and his team have looked more to the past then the present to decide their roster and I'm very confident that it'll happen again 5-6 years down the road.

It may not be much but it's definately something to think about.

Well, I'm being forced out the computer lab so I'll have to add on to this once I come back from Paris in a few days. Until then, don't let your character dreams just yet.

well its too late for me... by the time smash 4 comes ill be too old to actually play it....anyways i was not dying to see any of those characters.... but they would have been definitely better than some clones.

OhCripe119

Smash Apprentice
How long does it take to develop a new console? Would they already be working on the next generation? SSB4 would be a great title to come out at a launch, if done correctly. And I thought Sakurai said he became freelance to work on other games. I don't see why that means he can't come back every 6 years for a new SSB game. I realize he basically said it himself, but couldn't he probably get 2-3 games in in that time frame? Come back for the next SSB and then make another 2-3 games. I don't see where he finds a problem in this formula.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
There won't be a fourth installment. And if there is, it won't be for another 10+ years. And if there is, it will be some random joker who will mess it up even further, taking out half of the current roster, adding a bunch more 3rd parties and random dumb characters.

Some of the characters left out of Brawl were ones who were supposed to be in Melee (e.g., Ridley). Many of the characters finally added to the roster in Brawl were supposed to be in two games ago (e.g., Wario, Dedede). So, there is no sense hoping for the future. I thought this time would be different since they invested so much time, money, and effort into it. I thought they'd finally get it right. All I learned is...with Nintendo and big hype games, never expect much.

So this is it. There is no future hope.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
There won't be a fourth installment. And if there is, it won't be for another 10+ years. And if there is, it will be some random joker who will mess it up even further, taking out half of the current roster, adding a bunch more 3rd parties and random dumb characters.

Some of the characters left out of Brawl were ones who were supposed to be in Melee (e.g., Ridley). Many of the characters finally added to the roster in Brawl were supposed to be in two games ago (e.g., Wario, Dedede). So, there is no sense hoping for the future. I thought this time would be different since they invested so much time, money, and effort into it. I thought they'd finally get it right. All I learned is...with Nintendo and big hype games, never expect much.

When was it ever said that Ridley was supposed to be in Melee?

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord

Now, the "joker" statement is a bit of... a huge stretch. What if Miyamoto does it? Besides that, I don't think Nintendo will give Smash to just anyone...

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
1- Ridley
2- King K. Rool
3- Krystal
4- Bowser Jr.
5- Claus
6- Samurai Goroh
7- Balloon Fighter
8- Third Party
9- Unexpected Newcomer (think Pokemon Trainer)
10- WTH Character (one NO ONE predicts)
11- Isaac
12- New Nintendo Franchise (think Pikmin type franchise)
13- Saki Amiyama (he was almost in Brawl)
14- Third Party
15- Unexpected Newcomer

That's a reasonable expectation, giving us a nice 50 character roster for SSB4

Characters we can consider:

Ray, Chibi-Robo, Animal Crossing Character, Mach Rider, Sigurd, etc
You obviously forgot this:

16- Slyppy (slow Fox clone, green landmaster)
17- Peppy Hare (heavy Fox clone, purple landmaster)
18- Panther (tall Fox clone, black landmaster)
19- Pigma (fat Fox clone, pink landmaster)
20- Leon Powalsky (chameleonic Fox clone, invisible but weak landmaster)

The last one sounds like will be cut because of its landmaster being too original.

Now, seriously, I hope they don't wait too long for another Smash Bros. game.

Skylan

Smash Apprentice
DARN YOU SAKURAI!!! THIS WAS GENO'S BIG CHANCE!!!

......Sorry about that....I think I will go play Super Mario RPG and cry now.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
We all forget one thing. Even though Sakurai has been the only one who has made Super Smash Bros. or who even has directed the first three, who is to say Sakurai would be doing the next one better?

We all know Sakurai would make the next game even more grand than the current one if he was going to make the fourth Smash game. However, because he worked on the previous three, even though Sakurai wouldn't want it, he would still be stuck to the old rules of Super Smash Bros. in terms of character implementation, layouts and other things common in the first three.

So, even though Sakurai currently was the best to create the third Smash, there needs to be a new, fresh face for the next Smash game, someone with a fresh idea, while keeping true to the originals. You see, so far Sakurai has tried to improve on bringing in a more solid fighter, while trying to maintain the hectic feeling that Smash always has given us. However, Smash is more than that.

For example, Sakurai has forgotten the tournament scene, the largest scene so far. Of course, there are a lot of regular players, but the ones who keep on playing the game until the next installment just for fun are far less than the ones who are into tournaments. The next Smash should focus on both the mainstream as well as the tournament scene.

Another point is that the next games could never grow too much in graphics. Even if the future Nintendo consoles will be at least four times better than the modern day computers (or computers six months from now), in regards to graphics, changes in graphics and character design would be minimal. If you take the evolution from Melee Mario to Brawl Mario, you can see that only his model has really been updated. Sure, he has a higher resolution of textures, but in essence his design is already solid. Nothing needs to be changed. And this actually goes for most characters. Peach's model hasn't even changed a bit, asides from some small differences.

The point I'm making is, if Nintendo is smart, they would let the next Smash use these models. They would need to be polished for the next console, and the textures need to be updated, but that's basically it.

Now let's look at this character-wise. I've made this list to see if it were possible to actually add every character to Brawl, to see if it was reasonable to get rid of some characters.

First, we have the original twelve:

Starters: Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox and Pikachu
Hidden: Luigi, Captain Falcon, Ness and Jigglypuff

None was cut.

Then we have the thirteen (plus one if you count Sheik) newcomers of Melee:

Starters: Bowser, Peach, Zelda / Sheik and Ice Climbers
Hidden: Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Falco, Young Link, Pichu, Mewtwo, Mr. Game & Watch, Marth and Roy

The ones who are cut are Dr. Mario, Pichu, Mewtwo and Roy. Young Link has been replaced.

Finally the Brawl roster, which has fifteen newcomers (plus one, if you count Zero Suit Samus, and plus two if you take Pokémon Trainer as three characters):

Starters: Zero Suit Samus, Diddy Kong, Pit, Meta Knight, Pokémon Trainer, Ike, King Dedede, Wario, Captain Olimar and Lucas
Hidden: Wolf, Lucario, Toon Link and R.O.B.
Third party: Snake and Sonic

So, the conclusion was that in total, (taking out Zero Suit Samus and Sheik, and counting Pokémon Trainer as one character), we would have 39 characters. That is four more than currently is, so these four characters (Dr. Mario, Pichu, Mewtwo and Roy) could easily have been added. Nonetheless, that's not what this post was all about.

In essence, when not counting Young Link and Toon Link as one, there would be forty characters. Now, I've made some mock-ups to see how many characters can fit on a standard television screen (4:3, or 640x480). First, I used squares of 64x64. This obviously was not what Brawl used:

So, I've changed the squares to 64x48. This was more accurate to Brawl, however, it's not quite that. Brawl's icons are somewhat in between a width of 48 and 64. But anyway, this is how it looked like:

Then I changed the icons to 48x48. The following result came out:

I then began to see why they used rectangled icons instead of square I tested it with 48x32 icons:

72 characters is a good roster, maybe even too much for a game. However, I wanted to push it even more, with 32x32 icons.

Then I again used rectangled icons, 32x24.

As you can see, a width of 32 is really pushing it, so I didn't go further. For regular televisions, the name on these icons is barely readable. However, I wanted to push it even further, to see how many characters could fit in any Smash game if we would always took old televisions in consideration:

As you see, Nintendo can push it up to this. However, I don't think Nintendo would go this far. Nonetheless, there are some people making various fan-games, so if you're planning on making one, you should take this into consideration.

But anyway, if Nintendo were to create a next Smash, they don't have any limits for any content.

Maybe Nintendo should need to search in the Western corner, take the Western approach. You see, Asians always think small. Mostly it works out great. While Western countries make larger things that are practically inefficient, Asians think small. However, for a game like Smash, people want more.

Thinking in a Western angle could probably benefit Smash.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
@ above poster:

I think the limit of the roster doesn't have to do with how many icons they can fit in the screen :/
That's not the point I'm making. The point I was making is this. Nintendo can push the size of the roster, but they can do it so much. If you look at the bigger rosters, you can already see that it becomes practically too big. Even 72 characters can work negatively for your eyes.

However, Nintendo does have this choice. If they start now, they can work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger, more than ever hour after our work is never over.

LuisMa316

Smash Cadet
We all know Sakurai would make the next game even more grand than the current one if he was going to make the fourth Smash game. However, because he worked on the previous three, even though Sakurai wouldn't want it, he would still be stuck to the old rules of Super Smash Bros. in terms of character implementation, layouts and other things common in the first three.

So, even though Sakurai currently was the best to create the third Smash, there needs to be a new, fresh face for the next Smash game, someone with a fresh idea, while keeping true to the originals. You see, so far Sakurai has tried to improve on bringing in a more solid fighter, while trying to maintain the hectic feeling that Smash always has given us. However, Smash is more than that.

So your saying the should fire Miyamoto too?

Besides,Brawl sold like hotcake and will do the same in the US...i don't see any reason nintendo would doubt Sakurai.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
In contrary to Sakurai, Miyamoto is a ****ing genius. He's like a child who can create the wildest things without any limitations. It's like his mindset never grew old.

Also, with every iteration of games, he always throws the old game out. Super Mario Galaxy plays nothing like Super Mario Sunshine. Super Mario Kart is way different than Mario Kart 64. Miyamoto has the ability to flush down an old concept and poop out a new one. It's as if he's laying a new turd instead of using his old turd. I mean, nobody uses his old turd, so why should gaming developers use their older concepts?

Top Bottom