• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Honing your Ganon play in training mode

mgleed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mgleed
Fellow Ganons,

I've been a bit curious what some of you guys do in training mode (or in regular smash mode, in a training setting) to practice techniques. We all know that practicing in real games against real opponents is valuable, but it isn't always the best place to hone techniques that we aren't comfortable with. In the future, I may do something like a video demo of ways to maximize smash training (with an emphasis on Ganon, but not necessarily tech unique to Ganon) and I could draw from ideas discussed here.

Some things I think would be helpful to share include what techniques you practice, whether you have a specific routine, what interesting methods you use to practice, etc.

Looking forward to hear from you!

Last edited:

LoveExpert

Smash Cadet
NNID
LoveExpert1
3DS FC
3926-8601-0162
Can't really chip in too much but to practice edgejump into choke, I suggest first doing edgejump wiz kicks, aiming for only getting the grounded hit, then go for the choke timing once your comfortable

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
What I do is look at stuff that is done but that I don't use and completely forget about, so there are two things to lab:
  1. Things you need to be able to do in the first place and hone the right tech skill
  2. Things that you know that are there, but consistently ignore, for istance, I consistently go for aerials out of a DThrow, so I go in training mode and do DThrow>Wizkick and DThrow>DA so that I get confortable with that and it no more slips out of my head as an option

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
LoveExpert LoveExpert those are my words don'tsteal them

I honestly do a lot of refining, I almost go in to an auto pilot like state while I think about potential optimizations for a given read. I practice dthrow strings often, as well as footstool combos and movement. I practice new tech when I feel I am ready, currently after doing the above a bit I practice reverse uairs and their utilizations in strings and potential to optimize situations they put opponents in to.

I practice movement a lot too, like retreating bairs, platform shenanigans, extended dash dancing, ,options at the ledge that I'm capable of, autocancels from varying heights(in particular I often practice shff uair), and pushing the limits seeing what I can do offstage and recover from at a variety of positions. A lot of it is situational, like recently I found out we can double jump on bf and dl's top platforms and choke towards the ledge to grab it without initiating the animation, creating a seemless grab as if you had done say a fair to choke ledge grab. Super situational but if it can net me s trump bair or otherwise throw an opponent off it's worth it to me imo.

I practice on a need to practice basis, meaning what I feel I need to refine or practice, although I always invest time in to dthrow for being weight based. I try to practice at least an hour a day, more if I'm up to it.

I practice running off platforms and using and aerial back on as I fast fall within the auto cancel, it's a weird thing that's somewhat part of a routine lol. It helps me maneuver around platforms with my aerials and with autocanceling in general. I sometimes do it between stocks as I'm sure some of you have seen lol.

Last edited:

jacksonTown

Smash Rookie
One of my favorite ways to train, when my roommate isn't around to play, is to set the computer on random at level 5 with 5 stocks and practice edgeguarding. I try various types of edgeguarding like ledge trump to back air and down air spikes, but 90% of the time I'm going for the reverse up air Tipmans and getting comfortable with fast falling them and timing it when the computer jumps. A nice sideeffect of having the computer on random and continuously edgeguarding different character is learning which up-b recoveries can be challenged by a Uair.

Yes, it's against a scrub level 5 NPC but I've seen a noticeable improvement in my Tipman edgeguards since I've started doing this and it's also an easy way to practice movement and other things like down throw combos and different flame choke options.

It's my go-to when I want to go on autoish-pilot and just play out different situations.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I use Training Mode to test combos/srings to some extent, when I'm not testing them Vs a dummie-friend online.
If we only had Online Training Mode...

Also, Platform Tricks and Platform Combos/Strings/Locks.

I also use Training Mode if I want to test or practice ATs like DJ onto the stage from the ledge.

A lot of stuff is easier to test with a friend, like punishing/covering their options when they want to get back while hanging on the ledge.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Pretty much what everybody else said (ie shenanigans.) Platform autocancels, ledge hop auto cancels, trumps, DAir frame syncing, aerial timing etc.

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
Training mode really helped me get comfortable with edge canceled Wizard's Foot on all the maps. I also set the bots to just the right percentage so that they'd grab the ledge when hit off the stage, and I'd practice ledge trumps that way.

Last edited:

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
I just go and see how many upsmashes i can do in a minute and then try and beat that record

Last edited:
Top Bottom