• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Homing attack DI and Spindash Cancel. UPDATED WITH VIDEO!

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Homing attack DI

I was playing a bit with Sonic. And as I was hit to the side of a screen I was able to use sonics homing attack to stop the momentum from the hit, which saved me from getting KOed.

Spindash cancel

Also, you can cancel the spin dash attack in the first few frames with either a jump or shield, as a sort of a mindgame technique, sonic will spin very briefly and you'll hear the sound that the spin dash makes. Side B, shield/shield grab/jump. I'll try getting video of both of these techniques.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJe_-m8zH_Q
Video.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
For the DI one, is it not just a meteor cancel?

I don't think anyone has brought up that cancel though. I wish I could test it myself but it'll have to wait for a week >_____<

Ionizer

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ionizer
Homing attack cancel

Also, you can cancel the homing attack in the first few frames with either a jump or shield, as a sort of a mindgame technique, sonic will spin very briefly and you'll hear the sound that the spin dash makes. I recommend dashing with it. It goes like this... Dash, homing attack (b), shield/shield grab/jump. I'll try getting video of both of these techniques. Unless they are already known?
I'm really interested to see if this is possible. Would be great for mindgames.

ExplosiveDuck

Smash Rookie
The Homing Attack cancel is deff. possible, although there really is only a TINY window to cancel in. From my testing all you get is the noise, the animation goes by too quickly to even tell the difference between the Homing Attack and just Sonic in his ball when he's in the air..

Jooce Bocks

Smash Cadet
Just checked to see if this technique was on here and it looks like it is. It seems that performing the Spin Dash is a good option when dashing at an opponent. According to ExplosiveDuck the Homing Attack has a "TINY window to cancel in." The Spin Dash, however ,seems it can be shield canceled at any time before it becomes fully charged. I was doing it in training mode and it seems to work well. It seems to allow me to A) shield cancel while sounding and looking like I am about to do a dash attack or B) continue to charge the Spin Dash and charge through the opponent (and possibly jump canceling the Spin Dash into an aerial). Not sure if this is what you are talking about or how well it works against people as I have not had time to play any recently. Haven't seen it in any video matches but it seems to me that it has no real downsides to shield cancel this way instead of performing a standard shield cancel.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Just checked to see if this technique was on here and it looks like it is. It seems that performing the Spin Dash is a good option when dashing at an opponent. According to ExplosiveDuck the Homing Attack has a "TINY window to cancel in." The Spin Dash, however ,seems it can be shield canceled at any time before it becomes fully charged. I was doing it in training mode and it seems to work well. It seems to allow me to A) shield cancel while sounding and looking like I am about to do a dash attack or B) continue to charge the Spin Dash and charge through the opponent (and possibly jump canceling the Spin Dash into an aerial). Not sure if this is what you are talking about or how well it works against people as I have not had time to play any recently. Haven't seen it in any video matches but it seems to me that it has no real downsides to shield cancel this way instead of performing a standard shield cancel.
Yup, that is what Im talking about. And as you Spin dash or homing attack cancel and shield it will lead to mindgames and a great way to approach with sonic. Especially spindashing your way towards your opponent shield/sidestep dodge their attack, and you could follow up with a shield grab. I was planning to post the video yesterday. But I'll try to get the videos up as soon as possible.

EarthHero

Smash Apprentice
This is quite east to do. I was going to open a thread for it but never had the time. Sonic has alot of advanced techs exclusive to him. For the "Spin Cancel" all you have to do is press B and imediately tap A. Another one of his advanced techs is his "Catapult." Don't know if you guys know about it, but it's a way to double Sonic's ground jumping distance while using up both of his jumps. Essentially you are simple using the momentum of his spin charge to jump. Can easily be incorperated to gameplay because of it's speed.

There are two ways to do his "Catapult."

1. Start a Side B charge. While still holding B, tap A and immediately let go of B. Your result will be Sonic launching forward in normal jump form. Without DI this travels about half of final destination. With DI you can shorten it or make it launch farther. It's great for closing the distance between you and your opponent without making yourself vulnerable to a ground attack.

2. Charge your Down B spin and as soon as you let it go, jump. You will have the same result as previously mentioned, but you will be in spin dash form while retaining your mid-air jump.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
We call that first one spin shotting >_>

Zeal was supposed to update his sticky thread with this kind of information but he's a lazy hack so it's understandable that you missed that.

And that second one is just the normal jump you can do at any time with the down b provided you have the momentum (so while turning it's not possible).

EarthHero

Smash Apprentice
We call that first one spin shotting >_>

Zeal was supposed to update his sticky thread with this kind of information but he's a lazy hack so it's understandable that you missed that.

And that second one is just the normal jump you can do at any time with the down b provided you have the momentum (so while turning it's not possible).
Oh. I appologize. I call it catapult because I discovered it for myself so I figured I would name it.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Oh and one more thing, the point at which you can "homing cancel" is the exact same for just about any other kind of jump or move you would want to do; so it's not really a DI cancel anymore so than Sonic's other moves.

ReiGun

Smash Cadet
I just tried the homing cancel and I just couldnt get it to work. The window of opportunity is just too small. Calibur, what kind of timing should I be using (I press shield almost immediately after B)?

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
ReiGun: try going to training mode and put it in slow motion. Sonic must be running in order to perform this technique. If you walk, it wont work. This is what you need to do in order

1. Run
2. Press Homing attack (b)
3. Immediately press your shield button or jump button.

I did take videos today. But youtube isnt accepting my videos. Don't .avi files work on youtube? Anybody know? I have videos of me performing Home attack canceling, and how to recover from a very long distance with Sonic. Practically making his recovery the best out of all the characters, or equal to that of Pit, Peach, and Metaknight. I hope I can solve this problem tomorrow.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Calibur, just so we're clear, does this only work coming off the ground or can you do it while airborne?

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Oh, you even have to be dashing? It doesn't work from the standing position
EDIT: Haha, totally missed the post where you explained that, duhr~
You should edit your first post so people don't get confused.

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
when i do it i spin dash. sure i get the same results as wut u're saying but does sonic go airborne? like the normal homing attack? Wut i got was a spindash shield cancel one in which he just stays grounded and either shields or jumps. (shield cancel and rollback a few times and its good for feigning and getting some room to do a spinshot ;D) That i already knew howda do.

If u are dashing release analog and press b the input will be a sideb regardless, not a homing attack.

need a video to compare when anyone gets time.

Jooce Bocks

Smash Cadet
when i do it i spin dash. sure i get the same results as wut u're saying but does sonic go airborne? like the normal homing attack? Wut i got was a spindash shield cancel one in which he just stays grounded and either shields or jumps. (shield cancel and rollback a few times and its good for feigning and getting some room to do a spinshot ;D) That i already knew howda do.

If u are dashing release analog and press b the input will be a sideb regardless, not a homing attack.

need a video to compare when anyone gets time.
This is the exact reason I made my earlier post in here. I couldn't quite find the timing to cancel the Homing Attack (I didn't have too much time to try), and even then it seemed to take too much time after releasing the joystick to produce a Homing Attack instead of a Spin Dash off of a dash/run. While the Homing Attack may work (I say may since I can't really test it myself) if you can perform it, it just seems faster and more effective to do it with the Spin Dash; you never have to release the joystick and you have such a larger timespan to either charge/cancel.

If I am missing anything then correct me. If there is a true benefit to doing it with a Homing Attack then an explanation of advantages or video would be greatly appreciated.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Calibur, I think what you've been doing is canceling a side-b charge so quickly you didn't realize it. It makes sense to me now because I thought it was so strange that not only did you have to be grounded you had to be dashing.

GJ Soloman! *thumbs up*

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
noice, case closed, rename thread to"spindash guard canceling made easy."

oh, n just call me Solo.

Soloman is my cod4 pugging alias away from cevo competition. (solo-man a team) mehz makes sense to me.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Huh, I kept picturing an Arabian sultan @_@

I guess Solo-Man makes the name mean something entirely different...

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
It's not the spin dash. When you dash, get ready to hold the control stick in a neutral position so you wont spin dash (side b), then immediately tap (b) for homing attack and immediately press your shield button, or jump button.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Calibur, if you don't shield cancel what should happen is Sonic pulls back into the charge which will let you know that you're just spin dash canceling.

griftalicious

Smash Rookie
This is quite east to do. I was going to open a thread for it but never had the time. Sonic has alot of advanced techs exclusive to him. For the "Spin Cancel" all you have to do is press B and imediately tap A. Another one of his advanced techs is his "Catapult." Don't know if you guys know about it, but it's a way to double Sonic's ground jumping distance while using up both of his jumps. Essentially you are simple using the momentum of his spin charge to jump. Can easily be incorperated to gameplay because of it's speed.

There are two ways to do his "Catapult."

1. Start a Side B charge. While still holding B, tap A and immediately let go of B. Your result will be Sonic launching forward in normal jump form. Without DI this travels about half of final destination. With DI you can shorten it or make it launch farther. It's great for closing the distance between you and your opponent without making yourself vulnerable to a ground attack.

2. Charge your Down B spin and as soon as you let it go, jump. You will have the same result as previously mentioned, but you will be in spin dash form while retaining your mid-air jump.

This probably is not the place to put this, but it does not deserve its own post so here goes.

catapult (spinshot) method 1:
I am not sure if it is due to the classic controller or not, but I could not pull this off consistently the way explained above with the A button. However, I was able to do this consistently by starting the side B then hitting jump at the correct time. I used his spin sound to tell me when. depending on how the timing goes you can vary the distance traveled while in the air (possible mindgame). His side b has 2 distinct sounds that are necessary. First, the "charge" sound then the "launch" sound. Hit jump timed with the "launch" sound, and that launch will be replaced by a typical jump sound and sonic will shoot off. Even though the distance can be varied, Sonic cannot use any more jumps until he lands again.

Method 2:
This is the exact same as quoted above but will also work with the A button. I can also do this consistently with either the A button or jump. Whichever is move comfortable to the user at that point. As far as I can tell there is no way to vary his distance. He always seems to go maximum range, and of course remains in spin mode for most of his travel in the air.
Edit: as mentioned earlier its pretty much just the spin dash then a jump.

To actually add tho this specific thread topic, I agree with TwinkleToes. The homing cancel is just a side B cancel. After enough practice I think the homing charge cannot be canceled by block.

The reason why you have to run to do the homing charge cancel is because you are actually doing the side B charge cancel. Otherwise the homing attack cancel should be able to be replicated from a standstill.... I would think

This of course is just one humble opinion from a person new to the boards with no video or any proof to back it up... so take it for what it is.

~Grift

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
It's not the spin dash. When you dash, get ready to hold the control stick in a neutral position so you wont spin dash (side b), then immediately tap (b) for homing attack and immediately press your shield button, or jump button.
aww calibur.....not gonna be negative but, that isnt homing cancel that is a spindash cancel.

Like stated before, if u are dashing and u release analog direction and press b quickly after, the input WILL register as SIDE B regardless if u arnt inputting a direction while dashing. Trust.

If it were homing attack u'd be rising up not standing still. Also note the graphics, on the spin homing just sparkles and has no spin aura. Sorry mate.

and stop callin it the catapult. a catapult uses counterweights to sling something into the air from remote release via a lever or rope brace.

IT IS THE SPINSHOT!!!!! WEEEEEE!!!!

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Oops. You guys are right. :laugh:
I'll change the thread to spindash cancel. Sorry for the confusion. :psycho:
This basically has the same application I was speaking about. Good for mindgames. :)

Lonewolf10787

Smash Cadet
Thats awesome! This is just the technique I've been looking for. I've been nursing a thread (http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=156397) on sonic spin/dash dancing.

How far into the spin dash have you gotten before you cancel? Any momentum carryover if it's late?

Lastly, how quickly can you launch into another move after cancelling?

I'd really love to find this out-- of course I'm going to try it too! -- but you can probably do it better immediately until I figure it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been going nuts over this problem for ages.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Thats awesome! This is just the technique I've been looking for. I've been nursing a thread (http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=156397) on sonic spin/dash dancing.

How far into the spin dash have you gotten before you cancel? Any momentum carryover if it's late? You can cancel it as the last start up frames end in the spin charge, otherwise your spin charge will back sonic up a bit, and you wont be able to perform it then. There's no momentum carryover.

Lastly, how quickly can you launch into another move after cancelling? You can only stay in position, you can try to shield, and then shield grab, or jump and perform an aerial attack after that.

I'd really love to find this out-- of course I'm going to try it too! -- but you can probably do it better immediately until I figure it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been going nuts over this problem for ages.
This technique is mostly to trick your opponent.

Lonewolf10787

Smash Cadet
Following up on this, I've successfully done a momentum carryover by rolling after the shield goes up in the last frames-- provided you do another spindash/dash roll in the opposing direction. You can tell if there's momentum carryover when sonic launches into the roll and slides backwards more than normal.

Details in the thread-- thank you for your help!

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
With the Homing Attack fakie (sorry, don't know it's "real" name), does it have any hit frames and can you Air Dodge out of (or during) it?

Top Bottom