• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Home of the ROBSquad - R.O.B. Social Thread

T0MMY

Smash Master
I woke up this morning with an epiphany that I will be maining R.O.B. again.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I should clarify and say "one of my mains".
Alongside Mii Brawler, Sheik, and a couple others I think R.O.B. can work out for me. It'll give me some hands-on (claws-on) experience in tournament and see where I can take him.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Alongside Mii Brawler, Sheik, and a couple others I think R.O.B. can work out for me. It'll give me some hands-on (claws-on) experience in tournament and see where I can take him.
And when you announce that he is your only main, I will simply refer you to post #125

1FC0

Smash Lord
Why not just drop all that trash and go R.O.B. only?

UkeNicky

Smash Ace
NNID
UkeNicky
I wish the Rob social was more active D:
You're all always so busy it seems. We need to be as active as the Zelda social thread :3

UkeNicky

Smash Ace
NNID
UkeNicky
Fire Gyro seems great, and I hear Robo Rocket is amazing but I haven't really tinkered with Rob's custom moves a lot yet

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Used to tinker with them, but dropped them when I heard they were all banned. Up to that point my favorites were the High-Speed Burner and the Slip Gyro. That greasy Slip-Gyro, I can tell it would be great for early kills via punishing the trip. I'm not sure about the Infinite Robo-Beam, I tried it but it seems very circumstantial. Perhaps it is useful against Villager, since he can take your gyro, it might be better to have a spamable projectile against him.

1FC0

Smash Lord
The Fire Gyro seems nice to me because it does even more damage when thrown. And it does not go as far when shot so that you can easily grab it.

BTW I am practising with Gyro cancel , are there people here who can do it consistently using the hard way? I would love to be wavebouncing all over the stage with R.O.B.

Last edited:

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
BTW I am practising with Gyro cancel , are there people here who can do it consistently using the hard way? I would love to be wavebouncing all over the stage with R.O.B.
Just keep practising over and over. I do brev gyro cancel and wavebounce drills for about an hour everyday.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Fire Gyro seems great, and I hear Robo Rocket is amazing but I haven't really tinkered with Rob's custom moves a lot yet
Most of the active ROBs use the Skype group sadly. I'm not sad that we have an active Skype group. Just sad that some of that energy isn't exerted here too.
& I do stay busy.
I did get a gaming monitor yesterday! And my capture card is on its way. I will be streaming and training with ppl via Skype very soon :D

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Most of the active ROBs use the Skype group sadly. I'm not sad that we have an active Skype group. Just sad that some of that energy isn't exerted here too.
& I do stay busy.
I did get a gaming monitor yesterday! And my capture card is on its way. I will be streaming and training with ppl via Skype very soon :D
Yee. That sounds like a ton of fun. I probably won't have the spare cash for a capture card until after april :/

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
So I've been playing R.O.B. for a little while now, I've got down the basic punishes, combos, recovery options and KO methods, as well as some basic techs, such as the easy input gyro cancel and b-reversals, I've got a few things that I would like to ask people who've been playing R.O.B.

Is it worth getting a hang of using AT now or wait until I feel a need to actually use them?

What is the best way to punish someone who floats close to R.O.B., slightly above and in front of him, throwing out safe aerials? Characters who do this are mainly Wario, Jigglypuff and Shulk. Aerials take too long to come out since you need to jump, laser takes too long to come out, gyros are grabbed, they're too out of range to shield grab, and a roll back or spot dodge are usually punished.

I found in training mode that a roll can be cancelled by throwing a gyro, is there any practical use for this?

What combos are achievable only with jump cancelled glide tosses?

Also, as an additional question, is it just me or does playing R.O.B. cause unimaginable amounts of salt? Even my friends who are usually cool-headed get very salty, don't get me wrong, it's funny, but I wonder if it's just my playstyle.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I can't comment too much on the match-up stuff, but as far as your question about ATs goes...yeah, you should probably learn them. Here's the thing - you'll have to learn how to apply any new tech you learn into your game, and while that means at first you might not see any improvement, it also means you can't learn the applications without learning it in the first place. I don't do too many ROB-specific stuff because I haven't learned it yet, but I guess to make a comparison it'd be like learning to wavedash in Melee. Just knowing the input won't improve your game, you have to learn how to use it as a spacing tool. Which is what some of this stuff ROB has is- spacing tools.

And yeah man, my friend's ROB makes me pretty salty and it's part of the reason I decided to learn the character. He's really fun but it must be annoying to be at the receiving end of all of those projectiles.

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
So I've been playing R.O.B. for a little while now, I've got down the basic punishes, combos, recovery options and KO methods, as well as some basic techs, such as the easy input gyro cancel and b-reversals, I've got a few things that I would like to ask people who've been playing R.O.B.

Is it worth getting a hang of using AT now or wait until I feel a need to actually use them?

What is the best way to punish someone who floats close to R.O.B., slightly above and in front of him, throwing out safe aerials? Characters who do this are mainly Wario, Jigglypuff and Shulk. Aerials take too long to come out since you need to jump, laser takes too long to come out, gyros are grabbed, they're too out of range to shield grab, and a roll back or spot dodge are usually punished.

I found in training mode that a roll can be cancelled by throwing a gyro, is there any practical use for this?

What combos are achievable only with jump cancelled glide tosses?

Also, as an additional question, is it just me or does playing R.O.B. cause unimaginable amounts of salt? Even my friends who are usually cool-headed get very salty, don't get me wrong, it's funny, but I wonder if it's just my playstyle.
Learn those tougher ATs now. I put off learning them until the past few weeks, and I've quickly discovered it was a mistake to do so. Learning those ATs early will put you ahead in the game, so I really recommend it. As for punishing floaters, perhaps an upward angled ftilt will do the job? Against characters with lagless aerials like kriby/jiggs I've found the best strategy is to hang back and camp until they're at kill percentage. That roll cancel is actually what was called a glide toss in Brawl, you actually get a very small slide when you do it, but since a jump-canceled glide toss is much more practical, no one uses roll canceled tosses in this game.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
just dont become dependent on the ATs. learn them, but stay close to your fundamentals forever and always

Zegend

Smash Cadet
Hello, R.O.B. bros. I'm zegend, from the UK. I didn't play ROB in brawl at all, but he's really fun in smash 4 and I've grown to really appreciate R.O.B.'s insane defensive game. He's really unappreciated - I've hardly seen anyone using him in tournaments at all so far.
Who do you all main alongside ROB, then? I've been a Ness guy since melee, and especially in brawl, so after the buffs he got in 4 it's just a given that I have to play him. Villager is fun, and I also like C Falcon sometimes as well, for when I get bored of playing defensively and want some offensive action.

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Hello, R.O.B. bros. I'm zegend, from the UK. I didn't play ROB in brawl at all, but he's really fun in smash 4 and I've grown to really appreciate R.O.B.'s insane defensive game. He's really unappreciated - I've hardly seen anyone using him in tournaments at all so far.
Who do you all main alongside ROB, then? I've been a Ness guy since melee, and especially in brawl, so after the buffs he got in 4 it's just a given that I have to play him. Villager is fun, and I also like C Falcon sometimes as well, for when I get bored of playing defensively and want some offensive action.
Assumes ROB is a defensive character :drsad:

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
ROB's normal playstyle is generally defensive, relying on projectiles to rack up damage. But, he has been used with success in aggressive play. ROB is simply versatile, with an emphasis on defensive play.

Zegend

Smash Cadet
Assumes ROB is a defensive character :drsad:
What? Laser + gyro is one of the best projectile combinations in the game. Of course he has offensive capabilities, though. He's pretty versatile, that's why so many people love him.

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
My point is that exactly that, ROB is a versatile character, able to take on whatever role needed to win the match. Not the campy, defensive character many people write him off to be.

1FC0

Smash Lord
What character is really defensive then? I thought R.O.B. was pretty high up there.

Zegend

Smash Cadet
1FCO, I'd probably say Villager, DHD, Olimar and Pacman, although I do agree that ROB is defensively orientated.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
ROB is in an interesting position now.
In Brawl I felt like he was 50:50 when it came to being aggressive and defensive. maybe 60:40 with 60 being offensive.
I Smash 4, with he nerfed range on fair and ftilt, and buffs on gyro release speed and damage, i feel like the numbers have swapped. Now it's about 60:40 if not 70:30 with him being a bit more defensive than aggressive. Things will change as ROB develops tho. Just my initial thoughts so far.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
ROB is in an interesting position now.
In Brawl I felt like he was 50:50 when it came to being aggressive and defensive. maybe 60:40 with 60 being offensive.
I Smash 4, with he nerfed range on fair and ftilt, and buffs on gyro release speed and damage, i feel like the numbers have swapped. Now it's about 60:40 if not 70:30 with him being a bit more defensive than aggressive. Things will change as ROB develops tho. Just my initial thoughts so far.
I feel with customs his offense:defense ratio really changes, with slip gyro I find it's more 70:30 offensive since it turns him almost in to a pseudo-Diddy Kong that trades mobility for weight with down-b -> down throw -> uair, and with fire gyro though it had decreased range, you can just keep people out making him far more defense based, especially mixed with the reflector side-b.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I don't think the decreased range is a bad thing. It's a trade-off, but it allows you to keep gyros closer to you and iirc the gyro itself is a bit more powerful. I prefer keeping a gyro close by anyways, so that'll likely be the custom I use if I ever go to a customs-on event.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Hello, i am new on this forum and i main ROB. I live in Paris and study law and Sm4sh is the first i play seriously with, although i played melee when i was a kid. I don't go on tourney yet but there is one this sunday and maybe i will participate.

Concerning sm4sh my secondaries are zelda end WFT

1FC0

Smash Lord
Hi, and welcome.

I suggest dropping the girls and going Robot only. There is no need for carbon based trash when you have access to the greatness that is R.O.B.

J/K you should play whoever you like no matter how lame that character is =)

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Top Bottom