• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Home of the ROBSquad - R.O.B. Social Thread

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
image.jpeg

My new Amiibo collection has expanded with the additions of gray and white R.O.B., Mr. Game and Watch, and Duck Hunt! I also ordered a Ness Amiibo online today, so all I have left is to wait for red and white R.O.B.!

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
Hello, everyone. My name is GaroMaster GaroMaster and I main R.O.B in Smash 4. Although I haven't gone to many tournaments, I recently went to one at my local game store and very nearly beat the #1 person in my area. Alas, I lost after winning the 1st match.
However, I am striving to become a better R.O.B player and honestly find him to be the most underrated character in the game.
He is good and I wish you the best of luck but I don't think he is underrated. People have seen what it is like when ROB puts in work and everyone is afraid of the upair. Even though it is a local do you happen to have any footage? If not then is it possible that your store may stream/upload in the future?

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
He is good and I wish you the best of luck but I don't think he is underrated. People have seen what it is like when ROB puts in work and everyone is afraid of the upair. Even though it is a local do you happen to have any footage? If not then is it possible that your store may stream/upload in the future?
I don't think there's any footage of me playing against the guy (he was playing Samus and ZSS), but the store that holds the Smash 4 tournaments every Wednesday (Reaction Games) has a Twitch account.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
image.jpeg

Last one on the shelf!!! I went up to the counter and asked for him and 2 seconds later the kid next to me asked for him. The guy behind the desk said to play rock, paper, scissors for him. So I started walking over to the kid but he said I could have him. That kid is awesome.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
View attachment 100613
Last one on the shelf!!! I went up to the counter and asked for him and 2 seconds later the kid next to me asked for him. The guy behind the desk said to play rock, paper, scissors for him. So I started walking over to the kid but he said I could have him. That kid is awesome.
Way to stay cool. I would have flipped and told him that I asked first so it is mine.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Way to stay cool. I would have flipped and told him that I asked first so it is mine.
Well the person that was talking with the other kid reached out and grabbed it before the guy talking to me did. So when he turned around and saw her take it, he said "Oh...uh...". Then said we should play RPS, then the kid said I could have it. But it's cool cause after that he went and got a Roy and a Jigglypuff Amiibo. And the Roy was 1 of only 2 left on the shelf.

Plategoron

Smash Rookie
NNID
Plategoron
Any idea what we can do using the Bidou control scheme?

I think we should test IGC with Bidou - http://smashboards.com/threads/a-new-r-o-b-tech-instant-gyro-cancelling.421978/
I too think, that we could do a lot more with IGC, when using Bidou-Controls. Reliable IGC wavebounces without any momentum loss might allow us to land easier. IGC wavebounced fast falled nair would be really hard to punish if the opponent doesn't read it.

Also, it might improve our juggling game and beep boop reliability.
We might follow up dthrow by always running and jumping forward und IGC-reversing, if the opponent DIed towards us.
Or in juggling situations, we might be able to punish opponents for b-reversing by IGC-reversing ourselves on reaction.

Also, instant turnaround could come in very usefull, especially when we can land a grab with it, that we couldn't land otherwise.
Instant turnaround could also improve our quick punishes, like dtilt or fair.

Reverse aerial rush b-reversed gyro or laser could also improve our neutral game a bit.

Wavebounced UpB might be sometimes usefull offstage to give us a little bit more space, when the opponent tries to gimp us.

These are the first things, that come to my mind, that Bidou could allow us. Imho it holds a lot of potential for the robsquad, but I'm scared of the time needed to get used to this control scheme.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I too think, that we could do a lot more with IGC, when using Bidou-Controls. Reliable IGC wavebounces without any momentum loss might allow us to land easier. IGC wavebounced fast falled nair would be really hard to punish if the opponent doesn't read it.

Also, it might improve our juggling game and beep boop reliability.
We might follow up dthrow by always running and jumping forward und IGC-reversing, if the opponent DIed towards us.
Or in juggling situations, we might be able to punish opponents for b-reversing by IGC-reversing ourselves on reaction.

Also, instant turnaround could come in very usefull, especially when we can land a grab with it, that we couldn't land otherwise.
Instant turnaround could also improve our quick punishes, like dtilt or fair.

Reverse aerial rush b-reversed gyro or laser could also improve our neutral game a bit.

Wavebounced UpB might be sometimes usefull offstage to give us a little bit more space, when the opponent tries to gimp us.

These are the first things, that come to my mind, that Bidou could allow us. Imho it holds a lot of potential for the robsquad, but I'm scared of the time needed to get used to this control scheme.
I'm currently messing around with Bidou controls, but I'm running into issues.

See, when in "Bidou" mode, you can't use special attacks. It doesn't read special inputs, it only takes input from your c stick (set to special) as a one frame input. So we cannot gyro cancel in Bidou mode, if I'm correct.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So I've trained both my NA R.O.B. Amiibo (called Chrome) and my Famicom colored R.O.B. Amiibo (Overdrive) to level 50 and pitted them against each other. They both went down to one stock and were above 100% damage, the last hit would end it. Overdrive did a short hop and used a back air on Chrome, while Chrome, at the same time, used an Up Smash. The hits occurred at the same time. Chrome was sent flying off the side of the stage, while Overdrive went skyrocketing upward. Who won?

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
So I've trained both my NA R.O.B. Amiibo (called Chrome) and my Famicom colored R.O.B. Amiibo (Overdrive) to level 50 and pitted them against each other. They both went down to one stock and were above 100% damage, the last hit would end it. Overdrive did a short hop and used a back air on Chrome, while Chrome, at the same time, used an Up Smash. The hits occurred at the same time. Chrome was sent flying off the side of the stage, while Overdrive went skyrocketing upward. Who won?
Dude what a coincidence, that's how I got my tag.

Chrome won because he's a ****ing legend.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Dude what a coincidence, that's how I got my tag.

Chrome won because he's a ****ing legend.
Actually once I was done setting him up and picked out the name I thought "Wait, isn't there someone on the R.O.B. boards called that???".

But no, unfortunately/fortunately (depending on how you look at it), Overdrive won.

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Actually once I was done setting him up and picked out the name I thought "Wait, isn't there someone on the R.O.B. boards called that???".

But no, unfortunately/fortunately (depending on how you look at it), Overdrive won.
Chrome won in our hearts <3

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Chrome won in our hearts <3
Chrome won in that he probably got more experience from losing. Overdrive won in that he has bragging rights cause he won the actual match.

Trespayne

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trespayne
How do you guys deal with the Mario Bros. grab combos? Every time Mario or Luigi grabs me I get 50%. Do I need to DI in, away, up, down, or a combination? ROB is just too big with no aerial fast enough to get out of it.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hey everyone, bit of a late notice but I'm hosting a tournament tomorrow from 2:00-3:30 pm EST time. I'll post the password around 30 minutes before it starts. Here's the info. and rules.

Tourney Name: RnW's Tourney #2
Up to 100 participants. So enter the password quickly!!!
The winner will be the participant with the most POINTS, not most wins.
Time limit per match: 10 minutes.
3 Stocks each match.
You get to select a preferred stage.
The Smash Ball is the only item on, and is on the "high" likelihood of appearing.
Mii Fighters are allowed.
Custom Fighters are NOT allowed.

Good luck to everyone!!!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Sorry guys, slight time change! It will now be from 7:00-8:30pm EST time.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So the tournament is up but won't start till 7. If you guys want in, the Tourney ID is 62277070272286. Password is Overdrive.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Ahhh, I leave for...at least a month and I don't even miss an entire page. Gotta love low activity~

Anyways, I'm back chilling here again since I'm working on my R.O.B. again. Tried to cut back on character usage to have a main and secondary, got down to 3 and here I am adding R.O.B. to make it 4. It'd be 5 if :4ganondorf: was deemed viable.

Looking at what I missed, I won't be getting into Bidou. I feel it's only worth getting into if you use it with all of your characters and not all of them want Bidou. As for IGC, I gotta relearn that tech. I recall it being really useful. Allows for run up jab and tilts and such iirc. Also allows interesting things in the air I believe.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
So, I've picked up ROB and played him at a tourney last week. (just local tournney). I was doing okay, but I notice I have a really difficult time landing. Any advice for safely landing?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
So, I've picked up ROB and played him at a tourney last week. (just local tournney). I was doing okay, but I notice I have a really difficult time landing. Any advice for safely landing?
This is one of R.O.B.'s problems, so it's totally normal to have trouble with this, btw
First of all you can use Nair to scare the opponent by throwing out a hitbox, but obviously that won't work every time. You can use Dair to stall your landing, but make sure to do this at a safe distance due to how long it takes to come out. Bair can alter your momentum but it's really slow, though it's still an option to keep in mind. Then there's Up B, which will do practically nothing if you're falling down; you can use it when you're still being launched upwards and your opponent is trying to get a followup, or when you're at that point when you're not moving at all, but it's one of those niche options that also might use up your fuel.
Gyro Cancelling can also help (which you can see here) if you B reverse or wavebounce while doing it. This is the safest option, but sometimes there's not really an opportunity to do it (also it's kinda hard to do, but it should be worth it).

Basically Nair or gyro cancel should be your go-to options, but the main thing to note is that you shouldn't take too long to get back to the stage, because that's just asking for a Uair.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
This is one of R.O.B.'s problems, so it's totally normal to have trouble with this, btw
First of all you can use Nair to scare the opponent by throwing out a hitbox, but obviously that won't work every time. You can use Dair to stall your landing, but make sure to do this at a safe distance due to how long it takes to come out. Bair can alter your momentum but it's really slow, though it's still an option to keep in mind. Then there's Up B, which will do practically nothing if you're falling down; you can use it when you're still being launched upwards and your opponent is trying to get a followup, or when you're at that point when you're not moving at all, but it's one of those niche options that also might use up your fuel.
Gyro Cancelling can also help (which you can see here) if you B reverse or wavebounce while doing it. This is the safest option, but sometimes there's not really an opportunity to do it (also it's kinda hard to do, but it should be worth it).

Basically Nair or gyro cancel should be your go-to options, but the main thing to note is that you shouldn't take too long to get back to the stage, because that's just asking for a Uair.
Awesome, thanks for the info! I had no idea about that advanced tech!

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
Is R.O.B's dash dance / fox trot especially useful? I've been trying to incorporate it more, however I'm having a hard time getting the timing down. Any tips regarding?

Also, what do you guys usually do when you lab? I usually practice:
  • Dash Dancing / Fox Trotting
  • IGC
    • I try to do 10 IGC dtilts in a row.
  • Gyro Cancels
    • I try to do 20 in a row. I also like to practice b revered and wave bounced.
  • Up Throw Combos
    • Also footstool combos at low percent. I still have a hard time getting the dair to jab lock.
  • OOS options
    • Such as usmash and shield dropping.
  • Jab cancels
    • I don't know if R.O.B has anything confirmed out of jab besides jab 2, but it's a nice mix up to pull sometimes. I've gotten jab > grab a few times, and jab > dtilt usually works.
  • Auto cancelling aerials
    • Uair specifically, because the rest are fairly straight forward. A rising uair will auto cancel out of full hop. The timing is very hard to get down without tap jump, because you can't double stick it.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
lol R.O.B. boards are so dead. Is everybody on Discord or something?
If we have nothing to talk about, can we work on a community guide? There isn't really a good R.O.B. guide on the site yet, but I won't be able to make able to make a guide by myself because my R.O.B. isn't that good.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
This site is a great resource, but discussion is outclassed by chat rooms, sadly. That's where all the current discussion is happening. And there are more members there than there ever were here.

I do like that community guide idea, though. Hit me up sometime if you get any more finalized ideas.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
There's a Discord group for R.O.B.? I guess I'll ask for an invite. Joined the Mewtwo one and I've merely lurked there, not one for chatrooms but may as well try to get more involved with them.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
This site is a great resource, but discussion is outclassed by chat rooms, sadly. That's where all the current discussion is happening. And there are more members there than there ever were here.

I do like that community guide idea, though. Hit me up sometime if you get any more finalized ideas.
I actually have no idea how to make a community guide lol
I was thinking about making a thread and letting people throw a bunch of information at me, but idk how it works

Last edited:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I actually have no idea how to make a community guide lol
I was thinking about making a thread and letting people throw a bunch of information at me, but idk how it works
Hit me up and we could throw ideas at each other, privately. PM me or something.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Hit me up and we could throw ideas at each other, privately. PM me or something.
I'd be fine with that but I thought the point of a community guide is to have more than 2 people working on it

Ulevo

Smash Master
Hello R.O.B. mains. I saw that the match up thread's opening post was not updated since Oct 2015, so I wanted to ask here. What are R.O.B.'s worst match ups as of 1.1.6. in your opinions?

Top Bottom