• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hold shield while selecting Samus to start out as Zero Suit Samus

Naybewon

Smash Ace
R doesn't work.

Hey, I'm new here but I've been lurking for a while...More importantly though, I've been playing Brawl at a friend's house just about every day. ZSS is certainly my favorite, though I would like to add that in my experience, holding R doesn't work. Rather, it's actually L that works. Holding R didn't do anything and the Suited Samus head would always show up in the corner on the stage select screen.

Just thought I'd add :)

*edit for spelling idiocy. ^-^

Luz

Smash Apprentice
Did you hold down R before going into the Stage Select screen?

In either case, it doesn't matter to me which way it goes, I'll still be starting off with her, L or R.

Naybewon

Smash Ace
Did you hold down R before going into the Stage Select screen?

In either case, it doesn't matter to me which way it goes, I'll still be starting off with her, L or R.
As soon as you select Samus, you have to make sure you're holding down L before you go to the Stage Select screen. If you hold down R, you can see up in the upper left hand corner that it's normal Samus, not ZSS. When I first played I tried holding R, too, because that's what I had heard, but my friend (who owns the game, not me) said it's actually L. Maybe it'll be R in the English version, but for the Japanese version it's L. :)

ShardZ

Smash Cadet
R and L both work. I almost always select her using R so I'm not sure why you're having a problem unless this is something with the classic controller, as I've only played on GC pads.

Naybewon

Smash Ace
R and L both work. I almost always select her using R so I'm not sure why you're having a problem unless this is something with the classic controller, as I've only played on GC pads.
That's very strange. I seriously can NOT change into Zero Suit by holding R and my R button isn't broken as it works normally when I'm fighting and everything. Anyway, I guess I stand corrected X_X

daemonk

Smash Cadet
the part about holding down L, R BEFORE STAGE SELECTION should be stickied. I got confused when I first tried it too.

Again, to start as ZSS:
1. at character selection screen, choose Samus.
2. hold down L or R
3. Press start to go to stage selection. Do not let go of L or R.
4. the portrait of your character on upper left corner should show ZSS's head, not Samus'. Now you can let go of L or R.
5. start the match, you should now start as ZSS.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
I have had no problem transforming into zamus... except for when I want to be pink and they went before I could reach the color and wasn't holding the L trigger.

We ended up randoming some stupid custom map and I spent most of the time doing the up-down-up taunt. The game went on for about 10 minutes (4 stock) and I was literally just taunting the entire time and punishing the other two players when they tried to approach me.

I never was able to transform into zamus, even after doing 100+ taunts.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The ^v^ thing *works*, as in it's not a fake, but it's impossible for me to do, personally. I went into training mode and could pull it off at 2/3 speed or lower, but I have yet to pull it off in real time. Plus, there's no way to change back into Samus, if you're looking for a way to change between both.

Pink-eye

Smash Apprentice
the only way you can is go to practice mode, set computer smaus to lvl. 9, then make it control, have a smash ball go off, change, then set computer to attack, and voila.

thats why i like Zamus also, hard to practice against her

lethminite

Smash Apprentice
the only way you can is go to practice mode, set computer smaus to lvl. 9, then make it control, have a smash ball go off, change, then set computer to attack, and voila.

thats why i like Zamus also, hard to practice against her
i heard you could have player 2 (for example) set to comp, but hold down shield on the controller that would have controlled player 2 if it was human, to start a comp as Zamus.

can anyone confirm it?

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
I've gotten the hang of doing the taunt transformation pretty much 99% of the time, if I used the overall character more often I'd love to have a grasp on how to use both and switch out to ZSS should the need arise.

What I do is just rub my index finger up and down the D pad real quickly, as quickly as I can, it can go a lot faster than your thumb when done that way.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
i heard you could have player 2 (for example) set to comp, but hold down shield on the controller that would have controlled player 2 if it was human, to start a comp as Zamus.

can anyone confirm it?
That's how it works. Don't listen to Pink-eye he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Digimonkey

Smash Journeyman
what was the point of needing a button to change her. they could have just done it like zelda or pokemon

Pink-eye

Smash Apprentice
oh, sorry im an idiot....

i never knew you could do, guess you learn somethin new everyday

Pink-eye

Smash Apprentice
they shoulda done it where when you select samus, a picture of both show up and you can click on Zamus right there (this can be done with zelda/shiek, and pokemon trainer)

doomweasel

Smash Cadet
Does anyone else take the time to throw away the suit pieces rather than use them? Is this just my sense of fair play leading me to chuck a tactical advantage out the window?

EDIT: Scratch that, it's not fair play. It's me tired of my friends b****ing about it.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
lol, let them *****. Her suitpieces **** pretty hard, throwing them away is like not using Peach's turnips or Diddy's bananas. Just because you don't have a move that produces them doesn't mean they're imbalanced.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
lol, let them *****. Her suitpieces **** pretty hard, throwing them away is like not using Peach's turnips or Diddy's bananas. Just because you don't have a move that produces them doesn't mean they're imbalanced.
Sometimes I throw two away just so I can carry one and be more offensive with it. I don't particularly like keeping an eye on my suit pieces through out the first minute or so of the match.

oze6000

Smash Apprentice
Why would throwing your items out be fair play?
I'll throw my items away as soon as pit puts his bow down, diddy stops pulling bananas out of his ***, and olimar stops pulling up flowers. People that are *****ing about our items are just too lazy or bad to learn how to use them themselves.

I agree with ph00t though. Its nice not having to play defensive the first minute or so, sometimes its better just to chuck two off.

doomweasel

Smash Cadet
Why would throwing your items out be fair play?
I'll throw my items away as soon as pit puts his bow down, diddy stops pulling bananas out of his ***, and olimar stops pulling up flowers. People that are *****ing about our items are just too lazy or bad to learn how to use them themselves.

I agree with ph00t though. Its nice not having to play defensive the first minute or so, sometimes its better just to chuck two off.
Good points. But still, the pissing and moaning gets on my nerves alot faster than than it should:psycho:
I like the idea of ditching two of them to make thing simpler, though. I just might use that...

Zaker_ZM

Smash Rookie
Do you think you'll have that kind of time at the start of match?
Unless you do the unusual taunt for half a min that isn't a very good idea.

Top Bottom