• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

History behind your Smash name!

TheBattleRifle

Wiltshire's GOAT
NNID
thebattlerifle
I used to play Halo 2 to death, and started my YouTube channel back in 2011 with the name "TheBattleRifle", as my favourite weapon in Halo 2 was the Battle Rifle. I played loads until late 2013 where I started speedrunning Halo 2 and kept the same tag because it was relevant. Nowadays I don't really play Halo at all and instead play Smash and speedrun Zelda/ Nintendo games, so it's a pretty random name. It just stuck, couldn't imagine using a different name now.

My name IRL is Brad Morgan, sometimes I use "BRad" as my Smash tag (Capital "BR" meaning "Battle Rifle") and sometimes I just use "TBR". When I use Jigglypuff in Melee or Wii U I use "XD" if I can disrespect... lol.

Mains
64 - :falcon64:
Melee - :peachmelee:
Brawl - :peach:
PM - :peach:
3DS - :4peach:
Wii U - :4peach:

Secondaries
64 - :mario64:
Melee - :falcomelee: :foxmelee: :zeldamelee: :marthmelee:
Brawl - :fox:
PM - :falco: :roymelee:
3DS - :4link: :4zelda:
Wii U - :4falcon: :4zss: :4sheik:

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
My username is pretty much split into two parts. "Nhero" is supposed to mean "Neutral Hero," because I usually play a Lawful Neutral aligned character. "Arconix" is literally just a name I made up and it stuck.
I also go by Lilychan/Lily-chan (depending on if usernames allow hyphens) which is literally my preferred name with chan thrown on the end, because why not.

Tantei

Smash Cadet
NNID
RedSouji
3DS FC
1375-7405-0216
My username came from my favorite anime. Detective Conan (Case Closed) Tantei, means detective in japanese. I want to become a detective once I grow older. That name just stuck with me, and trust me, I've gone through many names. This one is the best fit.

TheMadHatterer

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMadHatter1298
3DS FC
3926-5161-8105
GAX, my nickname, comes form when my brothers were inputting a name into Sm4sh. They started entering '[My name]IsGay', but I covered the last letter with my cursor. They accidentally put an X, and it said [name]IsGax. A few days later I made GAX a name and started using it.

Peko

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mashley
funny story; I started playing FFXIV about a year ago and made a lalafell, i needed something that sounded lore-friendly and cute. I thought of the wingull from r/s/e owned by mr briney, Peeko. So i named myself Pekoko Peko. My FF guild then wanted to watch me smash at my first tournement, I dubbed myself as Peko so they would know who i was.
in tournements i use the tag "boku" because of a little inside joke to do with me being a little on the boyish side. nuff said.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
When I started to get really into pokemon, and I still am, I wanted to be the best so PMMikey stands for Pokemon Master Mikey.

Scinn

The Fluffiest
NNID
BLKROCKET25
Craft from rockman zero 4 has always been my favorite video game character of all time plus I thought Colonel sounded better than commander. Plus I felt I needed a new identity as a fresh start because of my past here on swf... So Colonelcraft.

Kyzael

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raiyn
3DS FC
0104-3086-6937
I used Kyzael back as name when I was on the social site, IMVU. It was just one of names that I went by and this one stuck the longest. So I never bothered changing it since the name had history.

Zekkaran

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zekkaran
3DS FC
0791-3028-9167
Before i kept Zekkaran i used to use the name zeroxio back when i played old maplestory then got off for some time. then my cousin introduced me to those kingdom hearts games. i loved the org 13's characters with their names that when i got back to maplestory one day to make a new character i couldnt think of any other names to give it because most names were taken, then the name i go by now popped into my head and i stuck with it and used it everywhere even as a original character i made up and sketched. the character aran from maplestory helped a little though.

Lus146

Smash Cadet
There I was, in the third grade, signing up for Runescape, the game that my friends told me was amazing. I was thinking of a name because I had never had a screen name before. Legend of Zelda pops into my head. I start thinking of things that sound kinda like Link. For some reason, I think of Lus. "Sounds cool." I think. I type it in with my stupid third grade hunt and peck tactics. "Lus is already taken. Try some of these: Lus146 Lus... etc etc" I think Lus146 sounds cool. So I use it and now it is and forever will be my name on all the games that I play.

PlasticSilver

Smash Rookie
NNID
EyelessVagabond
3DS FC
3496-9511-1528
My smash tag is "JAMMIES" because I always thought it was funny to say to people.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
HunterNinjaReaperPirate is something random I scraped together when I needed a username for the boards
Favorite manga = username
WolfieXVII is the tag I use the most, just my name and some roman numerals

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Mine is partially inspired by Strong Arm from Transformers but my biggest influence was that my secondary is pit and he has a "strong arm" upper dash arm move.

ForTheLulz

Smash Apprentice
Me choosing the tag "LULZ" at my school's PM friendlies
Me suicide spiking people using Lucas's dair (I'm still a scrub)
Me yelling "For the Lulz!" every time I did this
Me choosing this smashboards name

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
My username originates from the anime "Bleach". One of the characters is named Kisuke Urahara, but the main protagonist normally refers to him as "Mr. Hat and Clogs" because of his green and white hat and wooden clogs that he wears. I then took out the "Mr." and switched out "and" for "n'" and voila! My username came to be. I chose to use the (modified) nickname of Kisuke Urahara because he was my favorite Bleach character, and I used to watch Bleach all the time. And thus, that's the history of my username.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
I normally have multiple names because I can never settle on one for too long, but then I figured I should make a name that I guess sounded cool, can live with for a long time and default to when I need it. My username mainly came from my interest in the fantasy realm and I like to believe that when people think fantasy creatures, the most common are probably dragons, unicorns, trolls, etc. I chose dragons because they're flat-out awesome. I chose "Blade" because out of all medieval weapons, swords are my favorite, but I thought "DragonBlade" sounded better than "DragonSword" (just my personal preference. Please don't hate me lol). I then put 64 in it because of the Nintendo 64.

Dr. Sandwich

Smash Rookie
It came long ago from when I was a TF2 Player. I used to just be called Zerod but changed it as a joke to Sandwich. And then people started shouting my name around in voicechat and decided to keep it.

Ever since, I've been known as Doctor or Lord Sanwich.

ZeekLTK

Smash Cadet
Probably dating myself a little but when I was in like 4th grade I had a friend over and we were playing the fairly new game Zombies Ate My Neighbors on SNES. After we were done, he showed me this new site called geocities (RIP) where you could build your own website.

Of course, you needed a username to sign up, so I had to come up with one on the spot. The main character in ZAMN is Zeke... I liked the name but I didn't like how it was spelled. I thought it looked better as "Zeek", so that was what I picked.

Zeek was already taken though, so I used Zeek8 instead. A few years later I joined a Quake: Team Fortress clan called LTK and updated my name to ZeekLTK. I was in the clan for just a couple years but even after everyone stopped playing TF and moved on to other things I continued to use the name so that if I ran into anyone from those Team Fortress days they would be able to recognize me (plus "Zeek" is still a common name that is taken on most sites, so I need some kind of distinguishing suffix anyways).

So I've been using "ZeekLTK" as my online name for every single thing that needs a username since like 1999.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
In the 9th grade, there was this girl who hated my guts. So, to annoy her, I said hi to her whenever I saw her. One time, when I was in English class, she called me frizzy, which matches me since I have an afro and that it sounded nice. I figured that a word like frizzy was probably taken, so I chose Frizz instead.

Head Of Nixon

Smash Rookie
So the name that I use for most games is actually Dangerous Bacon, but I decided to switch it up when I joined here. Head Of Nixon is exactly what you think it's a reference to and some of my friends from college actually call me Nixon because of a prank I pulled on one of them, being I broke in at night a wrecked up the place (but I cleaned it up afterward), and because I'd do a fair amount of impressions of the Head Of Nixon.

Dangerous Bacon was something I started back in high school. I forgot exactly how this happened, but at some point I was cooking bacon shirtless and had the grease kind of splash back at me and I got a little burned. One of my friends was over my house and asked what happened and I told him I was cooking some dangerous bacon. And so I just kinda ran with it.

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
My previous Smash name was "777brawlfan." The reason why is cuz 7 was my favorite number and I was basically obsessed with Super Smash Bros. Brawl back in 2010. It's a really stupid but awesome username and I still use that name time to time.

One day, I searched up my name on the internet and it thought I was saying "Time Chain." I also accidentally wrote that name on my test and my class and teacher thought it was pretty funny. Eventually, I decided that my username is gonna be TimeChain.

Thumbtack28

Smash Rookie
I've always been interested in how people came to make their name, so I wanna know how you got yours! If there's no specific way you came upon it, why is it interesting to you!

I'll start off:

So Thief was actually a nickname given to me when I was a freshman in high school. I use always just take things from others for fun ( I would give it back ), but I've done it so much, teachers started to notice and soon started calling me little Thief as a joke, then it just stuck to everyone. Now it's starting to die off since I'm a senior, but I thought it was a cool thing to have a name for awhile.

Ps. It would be Thief or Capt. Hook lol. To this day I still don't know what name to choose
To be honest... My name came to me in a dream, I was thinking to myself what should I be called in a new realm. I saw a T and Thumbtack... 28 is 7 above my favorite number of 21, so where does that play into... I woke up from my dream and it was exactly 7am... I added them together and made 28, it's not what I usually tell people but hey... Why not

Ryochi

Smash Cadet
NNID
RyochiMayeabara
Well back when I was into long running shonen......

Dinn3r

Smash Rookie
NNID
Th34wesomeness
I play CSGO, Smash, and most other games online with my friends over skype. Usually, about half way through the match, I'll have to go eat dinner. Thus, my tag, Dinner, was formed.

And then I got on smashboards and some inactive person from 2011 took it. So I had to change to Dinn3r. Curse you, Proto-Dinner...

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
It's a name I made up for a game in Gamemaker Tycoon.
I used it on Pokémon Showdown and the name stuck.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
I used to play very scrubby Jigglypuffs and Falcons in PM about a year ago. With Falcon as my main, I decided to incorporate "Captain" into my name somehow. At first, I was going to be "Captain um0P 3pISdn Os", then I found out that was too much of a pain in the ass to write out. I wanted to keep the theme of "Captain", though, so I pondered for days on what my name should've been. Eventually, I decided on "CptJPuff" because I saw a picture of Jigglypuff wearing a Falcon helmet. The moment I saw that picture, a big light bulb went off in my head, and the name "CptJPuff" was conceived.

Joe Shmo

Smash Cadet
NNID
ferris123
My tag is Cold Ramen. Joe Shmo was my old tag, but one day i was using the random name feature in smash 4 and COLDRAMEN came up. Have used it ever since.

T8TO

Smash Cadet
I've kept rats as pets for a long time. If you've never had the chance of owing one as a pet, I highly recommend it. A couple of months ago my rat Inigo passed away, due to a severe blockage/possible tumor in his lower intestine. I was so devistated that I had to stay home from work, I struggled the most when digging his tiny grave. He was very affectionate, intelligent, and a great cuddle buddy. Everyone who met him became attached almost instantly, regardless if they liked rodents or not. My roommates and I began to refer to him as Potato, because he ate so much, and retained enough weight to resemble a large spud.

At this point in the story you're probably curious as to how this relates to my Smash handle, so I'll get to the point.

Seeing the state that I was in that day my best friend and fiancée both decided to take me out for dinner in hopes of raising my spirits. About halfway through the meal my best friend began talking about Smash tags, and how he knew I had been trying to make a new handle for myself since him and a couple of other players I knew had fitting nicknames. He proceeded to show me a small list he had typed out on the notes section of his cell phone. A lot of the names didn't really peak my interest, but I contined reading. "Team Pot8o Mode" it made me smile. Until that moment our small crew of Smashers had been referred to as Pink Death; him as a Kirby main, my girlfriend as a Jigglypuff main, and our pal Thommas as a pink C. Falcon. The name had been set in stone, and everyone had agreed would never change. They were willing to change our Smash identity just to make me happy. Of course I declined, however kept the T8TO portion of Pot8to mode. Most people think I keep that name in memory of my pet, but in all truth I keep it for my friends. Their efforts to try and make me just a little bit better after suffering a pretty major breakdown is proof of their kindness and compassion.

...apologies for the long post D:

PrincessDoorknobs

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silent.Rhy
my friend called me her son and she gave the name one day naming me PrincessDoorknobs. I have another name but I decided to use this since it's what I've been using for almost a year. I have other names I go by and just use them as Tags

.Execute

Smash Cadet
I came up with my name when a friend of mine and I were playing smash and I added '.EXE' as a tag over sonic because of "Sonic.EXE"... It was at that moment when I realized the perfect alias for myself '.Execute', I also liked this name because I want to be a computer coder or something like that, and it has stuck since I created my smash boards account. My original name would have been 'Myrmidon' because it was an enemy that I absolutely dreaded in FFXIII. But I like the sound of .Execute because I could use a lot of coding puns.

Samal Lord

Smash Rookie
NNID
ScottishWalrus
3DS FC
5215-0932-4119
Samal is a broken version of my name irl, and is also what my friends call me. I personally think just 'Samal' is too short for a username so I add Lord at the end whenever creating a profile for anything.

Soup's On!

Smash Cadet
I decided to join Smashboards. I needed a handle.

The phrase "Soup's on" sounded nice and memorable at the time, especially with the exclamation point. What caused me to consider the phrase in the first place? I don't really know why, to be honest. It popped in my head, and, sure, let's go with it.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
SevenYearItch mostly got used from my FPS days and Pokemon competitive. Fire Emblem thing, as well as Billy Kidman's WCW finishing move.

Smash tag for locals and stuff is usually: ThePandasDDT, PandasDDT, or over the character just DDT. I'm a wrestling fan, Zoo Enthusiast, and panda has been my logo in content creation forever

BeeKidd

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2294-5166-9137
My name on smashboards is Bee Kidd because Bee is my preferred name irl and Kidd is my last name. when I play smash online though, it just says Bee. sometimes i switch it up and go by Bart (my favorite cartoon character) or Mars (my favorite planet).

Top Bottom