• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

History behind your Smash name!

Shin Chie

Smash Apprentice
My friends and I made a really bad joke fan fiction where we put ourselves in Fist Of The North Star. We had to name the characters. At the time I was playing through Persona 4 and I used Chie in my name. Shin comes from my original username. So we named the character based on me Shin Chie. The name just kind of stuck and I use it for every thing now. That was a short explanation lol.

Last edited:

CaptainZer0dew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CaptainZer0dew
3DS FC
1564-3473-0907
WELL ITS A FUNNY STORY.

A long time ago I got Super Smash bros Melee, and I was terrible at it. I used to main Captain Falcon and my tag used to just be "Captain"
A few years ago I bought Borderlands 2 that brought to my attention a very unique character called "Zer0" who was an android/robot/alien thing who was also an assassin and I thought he was pretty fly.
When I told my friend my name was "CaptainZer0" he said "ew" in response to which I thought was dew so I just wrote CaptainZer0dew as my smash tag ever since... recently I put online tags like ~o~ and b0ss since my name doesn't fit, but it shows up at the bottom so its all good lol

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
*points at avatar* Well, remember the first multiplayer trailer for KIU? The fighters were named after their weapons and everybody in the KIU community started taking handles after their favorite weapons. Lancer Staff is mine. And pretty freakin' OP in FFA if I say so myself.

Before that it was Hunter Zero or something like it. After Maverick Hunter Zero of course, but naturally that's a pretty common name.

And lately I've tried signing up to stuff as LancerStaff, but wouldn't work. So I went with Zero's successor instead, Azure Striker Gunvolt. ASGV for short.

El_Mariachi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
El_Marvinho
I got my name from one my favorite movies of all time: Once Upon in Mexico. The main character (played by Antonio Banderas) is named El Mariachi or "El" for short. I thought it was funny that his name was basically "The". So I took the name as my smash tag.

frobo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
fr0br0
When I started TF2, which was probably a year or two ago, I wanted to get into competitive. So I knew I needed an alias or a name. I took lots of tries until this one time I thought of this: I have an afro, so I took the "fro", and I wanted something that rhymed with that, which was "bro", but I took the r away because I am nobody's bro. it sounded better, I guess. I tried to change it lots of other times too, but in the end, I just stuck with it. So, no, it has nothing to do with Frodo from LOTR. I don't even watch that.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Well this actually isn't my original username. I had to switch because of reasons I will not get into here.

I chose the name simply because one of the moments from my childhood was playing ATV off road fure with my brother and on the camps he CPU players would just so high into the air and I remember my bro saying something like: Look a the with there ****ing from legs XD . Good times.

Edit: I don't use Froggy as my tag when I enter tournaments

Last edited:

Probalo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mattoswine
3DS FC
4356-0295-3822
Switch FC
SW 5442-3764-0807
For those of you who watch the Homestar Runner web cartoon, you'll probably get the reference to my username, along with Strong Bad's tag.

There's a character in Homestar Runner named Senor Cardgage, who is somewhat of a parody of the character Strong Bad. One of Cardgage's trademark catchphrases is "No Probalo!"

That phrase stuck with me and became my tag, and likely always will be. Still, a lot of people can't spell it or pronounce it :(

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
I would LOVE to tell a story about my smash name but I don't have one.

I honestly just woke up one day and thought the name was pretty cool and original.

Pym

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pymdrake
Hank Pym is my favourite Marvel comics character. And there you have it!

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I play the bassoon. It really is just that simple.

Derpiology

Smash Cadet
NNID
Derpiology
3DS FC
4742-6421-0146
I forgot what I registered for, but I had the unconscious obligation to make an original name that didn't sound like I was trying to be a pretentious loser (someone who tries to make his/her handle unnecessarily deep) or trying to establish an inside joke. So, lot of my ideas were already taken, but I came up with this name and it was accepted. I've used this handle for everything since.

#DarkWing

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3067-7088-3304
Falco reminds of the Baltimore Ravens logo and I needed a name that is in the same vein as those two. Even Joe Flacco's name looks like Falco. And Lombardi? Don't even get me started. Haha!

TopKek.GG

スーパー かわいい <3
I used to play a lot of World of Warcraft. When you're an Alliance player, and a Horde player says "lol" around you, you see it as "kek".

Since then "kek" just replaced "lol" for me. Said it for years, even after quitting WoW and kinda forgot about it eventually.

Then last year I was hanging around on an IRC server and someone there said "topkek" and it just made me laugh and brought back a lot of good memories of playing WoW. Then it stuck with me.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I actually don't have a Smash-specific name.

I feel like I should come up with one.

Lunaticker

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lunaticker
3DS FC
4184-3137-6259
My name was a combination of things. First of all, I like lame wordplay, but the character Lunar in Mischief Makers for the N64 was super cool to me as a kid, so I took his name into part of mine. Sometimes I shorten it to Luna if I enter a tournament or something.

Pic related, it's Lunar, he's a pretty cool guy.

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
I get asked about mine quite a bit. It's literally just a name I came up with when I was 13. :p

InitialK

I'm that TO Guy
When I was a kid and I played Starfox 64, I was addicted to the Andross Boss Fight. Like I would play the game, not save, restart, and play against andross again. He is hands down my favorite video game boss and I took his name as my own for childhood purposes.

So now everyone calls me Andross in real life :D

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
I guess my name just came to me one day, and it's been my competitve name ever since.
Well, that and it sounds freakin AWESOME

yttik

It was 2009, I was dumb, I liked cats. I guess I thought it was edgy? I hate it, but people call me Kitty which is nice. Kitty is a nice short tag, fits perfectly in PM.

Daybreak

Busy busy busy~
NNID
DaybreakPlz
3DS FC
1091-8175-8810
Switch FC
SW-6555-9639-6872
My username is how I look at myself and a state of mind I'm fond of. I'm not sure exactly why it has stuck for such a long time, but I love it altogether. In some of the older games I've played such as Maplestory(etc) I named my character DaybreakPlz. So I was ecstatic to get the username Daybreak on this site.

It's a positive state of mind, make it through the night and you'll see daybreak

Downdraft

Smash Ace
I've been on several other forums, and this has not been my primary name.
I chose Downdraft because I used to want to be a meteorologist but am still interested in the weather.
Also, I'm strong at math and science (except physics), so it makes sense to have a scientific name.

NessFangirl

Smash Rookie
NessFangirl isn't my go-to, but I figured I should have something smash related for my username (and it also happens to be my NNID.)

I chose NessFangirl, because, well, I'm a Ness fangirl. x)

Last edited:

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
I watched Space Dandy a lot, so I dropped the space and replaced it with my clan on Call of duty. vLDs | Dandy. I also really liked the clan tags abbreviated name, so I used that.
Untitled.png

1DeadRabbit

...I mean jackal.
3DS FC
1864-9519-0771
I started playing Brawl a few years ago with my friends, and as you can except I wasn't very good. One time I must of biffed it or something (don't remember the context) as Lucario, and my friend said, "That is one dead rabbit."

Of course I got mad about that initially, but I grew to find it amusing.

BSXDrayden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BladeSatoshiX
So about 2-3 years ago, I was in a crack Pokémon roleplay group and I played a version of Drayden who was a senile old man. Because of that, Drayden became my nickname amongst everyone there; even when the group disbanded. It's stuck as one of my two online handles (the other being BSX) and in the end I felt it was a nice Smash tag so here we are.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Succubus + scorpio. Made succubio back when I first got aol in 93, and it was taken, so changed it to sucumbio. Turns out Sucumbio is a real word lol total accident. But it's a city in South America.

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
During late 2013, I dropped my first username and went with this current one because I wanted to start over. I won't go into much detail about my old name, other than the fact that I posted so much embarrassing/stupid **** under that name that I still wish I could erase every single post I made.

That's actually part of the reason I am now called The Fail Tracer; I want to be the kind of guy who can trace (as in track) any "failure" that someone commits on the internet... and call them out on it. I don't ever again want to be the guy who easily gets trolled, or the guy who ignores facts and logic and gets his ass handed to him in a debate.

The other part of the reason? I thought it was a great pun on The Rail Tracer, one of my favorite characters from "Baccano!", my favorite anime of all time.

VileFC3S

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KookiDowgRX-7
It's simple really but the first part of my name "Vile" was just a word to describe how I played against anybody. Even if it just were friendlies. For some reason, people would always get bad vibes around me, as they would say "I play too seriously". Sometimes I guess I do since not a lot would approach to me during friendlies.

FC3S on the other hand, is just the chassis code of my dream car in which I do currently own. Some inactive person here is already using Vile. =/

I use to be KookiDowg here in Smashboards. Although, It had to be changed as that alias is for the Sim-racing community that I'm currently in. The name is an inside joke amongst people who know me in reality.

Last edited:

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
My name is a question I'm often asked. In 7th grade for a week I carried a Staff in Drama (I played some dude who had a staff) and would smash it on the ground during the play so much people called it the Staff of Smashing and when I stopped carrying it I still smashed stuff randomly. So then people called me StaffofSmashing.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
When I began to play Smash with mom, I decided to give a cool name to me, mainly a japanese one. As I did like Jigglypuff and Kirby, the pink characters, I decided to name myself Purin (even thought I play with Blue Kirby :yeahboi:)! I kept the name, and still use to this day.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
I don't remember much about my name but i really like Megaman X and my favorite colour is blue. TBH i want to change it to something cool like BlueDJ or something like that but i feel like it's too similar to KoreanDJ.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My username comes from my NNID (which is in limbo due to my missing 3DS and I don't have a Wii U), which came from the name I'd pick for myself when playing P3P girl's story and some visual novels. The "Rie" comes from an earlier username with "Rie" in it, and the Sonomura was inspired by Anri Sonohara from Durarara!! (which coincidentally, there's a Persona 1 character named Maki Sonomura).

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
ELITEWarri0r115 was a name I came up with on xbox. When I started, I had to use my dad's account with the name: Epicwarrior2025, until I wanted to change and use my OWN account. when I did, I found out I could not use the same name... so I changed it to Elitewarrior2025, but I was one letter/number too long, so I changed 2025 to 115 (the numbers are based off Black ops 2, I loved that game so that explains the numbers) But the name was already taken... but then it suggested ELITEWarri0r115. I did not want the '0' but I took it anyway... and here I am with this name!

Scribe

Sing, sing for ourselves alone.
Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
I used to go by KP Shadow on a Mario fan site, as a nod to the K.P. Koopas from Paper Mario 2. Later became Kip Shades as a character name in a Halo machinima that never came to be. Then, once I started playing Project M with friends, I used Kip as my nickname for my custom control scheme. Now my internet friends are referring to my by my IRL name, and my IRL friends are referring to my by my online handle whenever we play P:M.

Top Bottom