• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hidden Power Monthlies (September 2014)

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
The Alabama Smash League Presents:

September 14, 2014
Original Thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/jun-8-2014-asl-presents-hidden-power-monthlies-mobile-alabama.350097/

Smash 4 Demo Edition! Pretty par for the course tournament

Singles:
Hidden Power Monthlies 9/2014 - Project M
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Ninkendo64
$69.00
2nd
Dron
$34.50
3rd
Serin
$11.50
4th
Ragnarock
5th
Ajred
5th
Baj
7th
Tip
7th
Doc's Smock
9th
Metmetm3t
9th
King M
9th
Professor Ceadar
9th
Reaper
13th
Dr. Worm
13th
Orion
13th
Uncle Anime
13th
Rhodie
17th
Cubelarooso
17th
Lagus
17th
HIV +
17th
Hime
17th
Hero
17th
Thee Big T
17th
P5

Hidden Power Monthlies 9/2014 - Melee
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Ragnarock
$75.00
2nd
Oppa
$37.50
3rd
Roboturner
$12.50
4th
Mikey
5th
Serin
5th
Ninkendo64
7th
Sickolas
7th
Glitch
9th
Aly
9th
DinoWulf
9th
Ginger Jesus
9th
Wafe
13th
Cosmo
13th
Dr. Worm
13th
Wrecked
13th
Ajred
17th
Hero
17th
Swiss
17th
Kim Jong Un
17th
Sam :)
17th
Rasin
17th
Professor Ceadar
17th
Saab
24th
HIV +
24th
Doc's Smock

Doubles:

1: Racist Slur (Met + Rag) ($50.00)
2: Space Jams (Nenkendo + Serin) ($30.00)
3: Hug it, Chug it, FOOTBALL! (Dr.Worm + Dron)
4: Lowered Expectations (Professor Cedar + Tip)
5: The Tickles (Orion + Chronocles of Rediculous)
5: Sanic Kang (Ajred + Reaper)
7: Games are Easy (Cube + Jeth)
7: T-Bone Steak and Eggs (Rolf + Doc's Smock)

1: Shark Infested Waters (Aly + Ragnarock) ($60.00)
2: Alahama (Wafe + Mikey) ($30.00)
3: Kawaii ******* (Glitch + Oppa) ($10.00)
4: Fox and the Hound (Sickolas)
5: High and Tight (Dron + Rolf)
5: Dino Thunder (DinoWulf + Wreck)
7: Shock Troopers (Ajred + Professor Ceadar)
7: Weaboo Trash (Saab + Cosmo)
9: Dom and Mason (Ginger Jesus + Kim Jong Un)
9: Beauty and the Beast (Raisn + Doc's Smock)

• Thanks to Dinowulf Dinowulf and Cubelarooso Cubelarooso and Sickolas Sickolas for doing what they could to help out.
  • Hopefully next time we can get this ship sailing smoothly again.
  • Love to everybody, of coarse. See you guys on the other side of the Smash 4 hype train.

Last edited:

CosmoNaughtilus

Smash Apprentice
This was my first Hidden Power, and while the tournament was fun, I must say I'm not impressed with how the tournament was run. The separation of events, while smart, was executed poorly because one event wouldn't finish before another began (PM Singles to Melee Doubles, notably), so there were long periods where attendees were waiting for matches, but couldn't get them because people were still in ongoing PM Singles matches.

There were several periods where there were no tournament matches going on during Melee Doubles, and everyone was playing friendlies. I remember waiting for at least 45 minutes in between my first and second Doubles sets, not to mention it took at least half an hour for my first match to be called. I looked for the TO, and he was nowhere to be found. Then I saw him playing PM on the stream setup (which was down, don't know if it was tournament or not, this touches on my last point though), and then he focused on setting the stream back up instead of calling matches.

I don't know if there was too much focus on getting matches on stream, or if nobody cared, but the event running as late as it did is bad for growth, since people have work and school to focus on, and you can't run an event so late and have matches take so long to be called, because people leave. There's also the issue of seeding. Was there any seeding done at all? Not only were people from the same region playing each other Round 1 (Wreck vs Saab R1, for example. They're training partners), but the ranked players were playing R1 as well (If memory serves, Rag and Oppa were originally supposed to play Round 1, but asked for it changed).

There's an awesome tournament series just waiting to be realized here. The venue is wonderful, the players are talented and motivated, and there didn't seem to be a lack of setups. There just needs to be someone calling matches at all times, and making absolutely positive that they're being played. If the staff works in the future to ensure that tournament matches are being played instead of focusing on other stuff, then the event will run extremely well, and I think everyone will have much more fun.

I'm not trying to bash anyone or discourage people from coming in the future, but if we want the local communities to grow even more, then we've got to ensure that our tournaments are as good as possible. I've run a tournament myself, and have attended several nationals, so I'm just trying to relay my thoughts and experience, as well as point out the problems that occurred. I'd be happy to help run brackets when I attend in the future, but I didn't want to step on any toes this time because I wasn't sure how you ran things.

Hope I can help in the future guys, and I hope we can make this tournament even better than it's been before.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
You should find a melee only player to call out pm matches, and pm player call melee. That way there's never a time when tourney is halted during a to playing his own match. Attendees should also be responcible enough to report their results and see who the next match is against.

CosmoNaughtilus

Smash Apprentice
We were, but the issue was that since no matches were being called, some people had to wait for others to play to decide a match. It was difficult to get hold of people to play their matches. I should mention that this was only problematic in Melee Doubles (that I saw, I missed PM Doubles, and didn't enter PM Singles), but Doubles took far longer than it should because of the overlap and lack of matches being played. It was a chore to get matches to be played.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
I unfortunately got really hung up and couldn't make it to the venue until late. After that we spent a good hour working on livestream stuff because some of the equipment just wasn't working. I don't think we started the first tournament until way too late.

I think one of the biggest things that pushes back the tournament is trying to find time to call out matches and seed while I'm still in the tournament. Getting someone to call out matches isn't too hard, but with Ryker AWOL from the last 3 events I haven't had my usual crutch for getting seeding help. I'll look into these things and try to work on them for next time.

Next month I plan on dropping PM doubles completely in favor of Smash 4 singles, which will mean the whole schedule will probably be switched around. Right now I'm leaning towards doing PM Singles first, then Melee Doubles then Melee Singles and finally Smash 4. We will see how that plays out.
I would agree that this tournament was very poorly run for my standards. I had some stress from outside stuff going on and I think it was showing through. Next month I'll work on building up a reliable staff to help out.

Zone

Smash Champion
Well good **** to Brannon for running the event solo with a little side help regardless.

It's not easy being solo TO and wishing to compete w/o being completely rusty at all times.

He just needs help. We should spend some time at the start of the tournament to show how results done in TIO

And make it so both players report their match and play the next match without the need of a TO.

tO should definitely run the event, but no reason the competitors can't help with the small stuff.

CosmoNaughtilus

Smash Apprentice
I'd be happy to help run bracket, as I'm pretty sure I mentioned in my initial post. I can't get there early to help, since I work mornings into the early afternoon on weekends. As I said, the easiest way to make things move smoother is to have someone available to call matches at any time. Most of the tournament-saavy people will know to look, but with the inevitable influx of newcomers with the new game releasing soon, it'll be in the event's best interest to streamline things and make them as simple as possible for everyone.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I'll take credit for it being run poorly. I should have been there to help. I had a guest from out of town who wasn't able to go and had to keep up with him.

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
i wish mine and rag's set was recorded, idk why we decided against it. was a close ass set and would've been really entertaining to watch.

good **** to rag of course for still being OP. oppa came outta nowhere and almost took the gold, your peach is incredibly solid dude. congrats to ninkendo for taking PM singles as well and GGs to everyone i played. hopefully i can make out next month.

shoutouts to the snazzy dressed dudes as well.

oh and i hope i get to see more of rice and zone and the rest of the pcola crew again.

Last edited:

Dron

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPWJv4PpJ827o8WFuPK070YWOFjhecmSR

vids are up on YT, stream had a stupid amount of problems as you guys know so a few sets (most notably PM doubles GFs and PM singles LFs) were unable to be uploaded even though the sets were played on the stream setup

we were locally recording as well for most of the time, but it seems like most of those files are unusable/corrupted (go figure)

Top Bottom