• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hidden Power Monthlies June 2014

ragnarock

Smash Lord
The only thing I have to say about that commentary. Talk about the match. There were plenty of times ppl b taking about random stupid stuff that had no relevance to the match or life.

Wafer6866

Smash Journeyman
We should hire golf commentators. Or baseball. Let's get bob costas and vin scully.
Zone and rice should be commentators

Last edited:

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
We should hire golf commentators. Or baseball. Let's get bob costas and vin scully.
Zone and rice should be commentators
I remember zone was all for it to commentate. I don't know how Rice would feel about it....but don't quote me on it....i would hate to speak for anybody.

Zone

Smash Champion
I said I would, but only for melee. And if they do stream melee, it's usually only finals, and I'm in finals.

I won't commentate project m, I don't even play that game.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
O. And you guys should do melee the pm. That melee and pm at the same time isn't working out. Yall should try that. It'll work out for the better i think

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
I agree with rag. Normally at HPM there is on average 9-10 Tv's with the same amount of setups. I'm almost certain you guys could blaze through both tournaments in no time at all (Taking it one at a time of course). This also helps in another way as well. If melee is the only game being played at the moment PM players will watch the melee games just to see what the hype is about. The same can be said about Project Melee as well......except for zone lol

Wafer6866

Smash Journeyman
O. And you guys should do melee the pm. That melee and pm at the same time isn't working out. Yall should try that. It'll work out for the better i think
Yeah maybe just run singles and doubles for pm at the same time, if that's possible.. then do the same for melee.

Would running pm on the stream first be better than starting with melee? I don't know which game we get more views for

Last edited:

rolfcopter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BabySteps
Yeah maybe just run singles and doubles for pm at the same time, if that's possible.. then do the same for melee.

Would running pm on the stream first be better than starting with melee? I don't know which game we get more views for
I think pm was getting more views than melee was.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Running them separately takes longer than running them at the same time. We've proven this several times. The most important thing is to try and always have a match on every setup, because for every setup that sits still for 15 minutes that's one bracket match left un-played. There is always going to be some setups that can only run Melee and some that can only run PM so that means that if we only run one at a time then those setups are going to be left idle for a good 3+ hours. That's 12 bracket matches that could have been played. Then imagine that it's 4 melee setups that are just sitting unused while we play PM. Then the total is 48 matches; which is essentially the whole tournament.

Sure, first round of the bracket could benefit from having 8 dedicated setups, but after about round 2 there is rarely more than 4 matches that are even possible at one time, which guarantees that the other 4 will go unused. And it's not really feasible to pull off some kind of mass switch where everyone goes from PM to Melee and vice versa. It's hard enough to find one extra Melee disc when someone forgets theirs.

What probably waists the most time, though, is how many of you guys swap up teams between games which stalls out the doubles brackets and makes them take forever. Last couple of times we were literally not able to start the melee doubles bracket because every other player was already playing in PM. You guys make incredibly hard on me that way.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit: cause I had more to say

Last edited:

Wafer6866

Smash Journeyman
Running them separately takes longer than running them at the same time. We've proven this several times. What probably waists the most time, though, is how many of you guys swap up teams between games which stalls out the doubles brackets and makes them take forever. Last couple of times we were literally not able to start the melee doubles bracket because every other player was already playing in PM. You guys make incredibly hard that way.
What do you mean by swapping up teams?

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
That's why I suggested to run the desperately. With two tournaments running at the same time a player with always bump heads with the other hand. This helps both Im and melee players prevent our hands from getting cold as well

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
[quoteand thatafer6866, post: 16918678, member: 238408"] I know zone had to play ram in melee but ram had to play a set in pm first[/quote]
Right and that is the problem with the delay in all honesty. (Not brannon fault) but I do think its the Initial problem

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Thats y you should Run one at a time. We just came from a tournament in Louisiana. They had at least 30 for both I believe. They ran one at time and it went smoothly. They just want bs' n around. When one match was done, another match happened right behind it. That don't happen in mobile. It's not your fault brannon. It's the players fault for looking to bs around. And it's aggravating, But you need to b on our asses a lil more too. B a tyrant not a diplomat.

Dron

Smash Apprentice
all hail the king

I really like the idea of doing one game at a time, it makes the whole experience feel more cohesive and switching between games constantly can be pretty dazing, but then again it's only an idea and if we can't get it done then that's too bad

I do think it would at least be cool if we enforced the main area as a strictly non-friendly zone during the high-traffic first rounds but have a few setups in the back for those who get elimmed early/don't enter singles or whatever, and then loosen that as rounds go on and tournament setups become less important. I dunno how practical/effective this would actually be, just throwing it out there

also we really need to step up our TV game, having to crowd around these microscopic TVs for teams is starting to do me in

ragnarock

Smash Lord
I agree. I can buy at least 2 tvs from goodwill or something by the next tourney. But we need at least 5-7 setups for each game and it shouldn't matter who fights on steam. If it's open then let somebody play. I personally feel that the tournament takes to long for the amount of ppl that's plays. It's times thatwe wait on ppl for like 5-10 mins cause there outside bs' n or taking a break. When they had 8 breaks already. I think you should yell theyre name 4-5 times and eliminate then or drop them to loser bracket. Or give them 2 mins after yelling they're name. It's getting ridiculous

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
I agree. I can buy at least 2 tvs from goodwill or something by the next tourney. But we need at least 5-7 setups for each game and it shouldn't matter who fights on steam. If it's open then let somebody play. I personally feel that the tournament takes to long for the amount of ppl that's plays. It's times thatwe wait on ppl for like 5-10 mins cause there outside bs' n or taking a break. When they had 8 breaks already. I think you should yell theyre name 4-5 times and eliminate then or drop them to loser bracket. Or give them 2 mins after yelling they're name. It's getting ridiculous
i'm fine with bringing my setup to mobile. If will help and i do agree with you 100% about the match calling. If they don't show up then there gone or removed from the winners side.That exact thing happened in Louisiana last weekend.

Zone

Smash Champion
I'll bring a setup that records as well.

When it gets close to finals, then start the next event. So we get round 1 out of the way during finals for a game.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
If we just didn't play PM the problem would solve itself.
as much as i'm starting to dislike PM. I have to admit it, it does have it's own popularity and group following it. Honest i think the best would be to keep PM and at the same time get people to convert over to melee. If you want to be technically i was playing pm before i got into melee competitively. This was also before Yoshi came out on 3.0. Granted i don't practice PM nearly as much as i used to i would have never made the conversion back to Melee if it wasn't for PM and i'm sure that some people have that same thought process as I do. I love melee a lot honestly a lot more then I do PM and it would have never happened if i didn't play PM first then came down to pensacola to realize how Superior it is.

The Problem i have with PM is simple this, it doesn't matter if your good or not it depends on if you know what gimmicks works well against others and that's with everyone (including Yoshi)

Mikeyy

Smash Apprentice
If PM felt smooth at all, or if my character wasn't super nerfed by people who have no idea about what the Climbers need, I might play it. I can think of ten things without trying that would "fix" the Climbers, none for which are in PM. Silly fraud game, I'd rather play Brawl.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Smash is smash, 64, melee, pm and brawl. I respect them all and they all have there place. Even though i love melee, i like them all. Not so much brawl, but i put work in that game 2. They all deserve 2 b treated equally. If you guys gonna run both at the same time then you should stream both at the same time. How you gonna have melee and pm going but not stream melee. Vice-versa with pm. That's y i said one game at a time.Cause they both deserve the same treatment. Now just b real with it, if you don't wanna stream melee, or its not your focus say so. I'll still come, nothin won't change with my mind set bout the tourney. I just know how it is. Understanding seem to b the issue here and understanding is one of the most important things in the world.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Thats y you should Run one at a time. We just came from a tournament in Louisiana. They had at least 30 for both I believe. They ran one at time and it went smoothly. They just want bs' n around. When one match was done, another match happened right behind it. That don't happen in mobile. It's not your fault brannon. It's the players fault for looking to bs around. And it's aggravating, But you need to b on our ***** a lil more too. B a tyrant not a diplomat.
Comparing HP to Golden Chariot is pretty silly since they didn't run doubles. Would you guys like to skip doubles next time? Because, like I said earlier, doubles wasted a significant part of our time since the teams were scrambled.

Last edited:

Zone

Smash Champion
Well I remember doing MK9 after singles, and we were still done by 7:30 p.m. and we started at like 3p.m. >.>

we waited around for 2 hours for the Raffle.

EDIT: actually I think it was just set ups is why they got done so fast. they had like 13

But they didn't wait til melee finals were over to start PM, they started it during Semi's so they overlap, to cut time.

Can we try overlapping instead of exact same time just one time?

Last edited:

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
We can't reasonably expect to have 13 setups unless you guys really turn it up. We have had ~8 the last couple of times. And we generally are forced to start singles around 5 or 6 because of doubles. If we could have that many setups and be finished with doubles in time I would definitely be able to run Melee and PM separately.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
We can't reasonably expect to have 13 setups unless you guys really turn it up. We have had ~8 the last couple of times. And we generally are forced to start singles around 5 or 6 because of doubles. If we could have that many setups and be finished with doubles in time I would definitely be able to run Melee and PM separately.
Well i'll try my best to bring as many as possible within the group. I can't just say things that could be improved and not help either

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
So far that's two setups. I may be able to bring my tv as well if i can find room in my tiny *** car to do it while the guys are with me.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Whered all these set ups coming from? Why weren't they brought every time?

Top Bottom