• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hi-Score Tourney Results Aug 9

whodat

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately there was something wrong with the brackets at the end so I can't really give too much more than top 5.

Glad to see that we got a great turnout.

Singles

1st- Kadaj (Marth, Metaknight)

2nd- BlackGuy (mash b button)

3rd- DragonCharlz ( Rob, Zelda)

4th- Whodat (Olimar, Fox)

5th- Mashi (Metaknight, Snake)

5th- SchoolieD (Rob)

Teams

1st- Jwolf & Mashi (Toon Link, Snake)

2nd- Kadaj & Fear (Marth, Pit)

3rd- DragonCharlz & Whodat (Rob, Olimar)

4th- Toasty & BlackGuy (Rob, Tornado Spam)

So yeah Metaknight...

Congrats go out to Kadaj for winning singles and Jwolf and Mashi for taking teams.

MVP award goes out to DragonCharlz for taking out 2 people by himself in teams.

whodat

Smash Apprentice
Maybe in the future. I suggested it but nobody else really wanted to do it. Maybe if you keep suggesting then we will do it.

MaSHi

Smash Journeyman
g-reg you should have came. =P. i took teams rofl. =]. next time be like mashi is my partner. j/k =P

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
shoutiez some time later.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

As for tornado spam: I deal with that **** on the regular in FRIENDLY matches. But guess what: I found a way around it. You guys just didn't know what to do. He found a weakness, he exploited it, and he implemented soul-draining tactics by annoying the **** out of you. Yeah, I could make a veritable combo video of hitting MK's tornado DEAD ON [even with disjointed hits :(] and yielding no results, but after a long time of *****ing, I got over it and got past it. You're completely right to feel annoyed/angry, but it's not necessarily a sign of Black-G not being skilled enough to get 2nd place.

This isn't about Black-G being my partner. At C3, I wanted some casuals with Plank so I could learn how to handle the gays, and I posted the videos up to get help. Everyone bltched about the tornado/upB/gayness spam in the vids except me, because I understood it and wanted to learn how to beat it.

Does my blood still boil whenever I take 80 damage for NO reason other than Black-G's B button? Of course. But when I reflect upon it, I realize that it's MY fault. If I was playing it right, I wouldn't have gotten caught in it (as much).

I guess that's just my input on the matter before all the shoutiez are riddled with Black-G hate.

so...hate the game?

I played like **** today. Worst tourney performance/playstyle/execution/whatever ever. Just a fact, no Johns ^_^

GGs everyone. It was a lot of fun.

whodat

Smash Apprentice
It's more of a pride thing than anything Toasty. I mean I've never lost to BlackG before and shouldn't have that time. I dunno. I can't really hate that much because it was my lack of knowledge of how to stop the almighty b button that lead to my defeat.

D0N

Smash Ace
Interview With Cyphus

@Cyphus - How's the beard?
my beard was about 1.5 inches everywhere, and i planned on using my Jesus costume for halloween parties. However, for NO reason (brain fart?) i shaved it all off, got a haircut, and now i am sporting a goatee. (which i am personally not a fan of, but *sigh* the woman likes it)
i'll throw up a pic soon. (its probably good i didn't go jesus for halloween, because it was my friend's wedding and he's spanish....and that means they had alot of mexicans there..which means alot of strong catholics..and they probably would have killed me =]

1) Why do you never come onto the boards anymore?

2) I recall you won a few tournaments a couple of months back, how are you doing now?

3) What are you favorite matchups? Least favorites?

4) Do you use secondaries? If so who?

5) Have you ever committed a felony? If so what?
1) to be honest, i've had a hard time being social lately, because of some unfortunate events. i worked for dominos, but hydroplaned and totalled my car (which also means i lost my job as a driver). but moreso other stuff i'll just say is personal. I love the DK community, so its nothing personal. I hope to get back into it soon.

2) the tournament scene hasn't been as busy lately in LA, but its picking back up. the only other state i've gone to for brawl is TX. With tournaments and addition to just player matchups, i'm still 3rd in LA, but i haven't shown my potential in TX. I always know i could have placed better. (but i realize everything thinks that, so i no johns, bleh)

3) favorite matchups? would i be a **** if i said all the ones that i find easiest? lol
Lucario, Marth, Snake, are probably the 3 high tiers i'm most confident against. I go basically even vs Lee martin's lucario (so i dont expect to lose to anyone elses), and i have a good record vs all the marths and snakes around.

Least favorite. Unless i'm on-my-game, toon link can really get on my nerves. diddy and olimar can be really unfun if they play campy. oh god..i HATE fighting sonic. not that its hard..its just stupid.

4) My 2ndaries are Diddy, Fox, and Ice. if someone goes DDD i'm pretty sure i can beat them w/ any of those. Vs Olimar i would go Ice. (although its never happened yet).
As far as history, i've gone DK 99% the time. (my low tiers are lucas and mario)

5) Felony? Is it a felony if i dont get caught?

1) your top3 favourite moves of dk?
2) approaching: air or ground? which against who?
3) what is your strategy against mk? how do you approach?
1) giant punch, upair, d.tilt

2) thats a hard question. it depends on so much. against snake, you always want to stay grounded and abuse downB. In the air, i think UpAir is very much underrated and and amazing combo tool and mindgame when baiting it.

3) if at all possible, i donnot approach. always try to trade hits. its ok to miss moves on purpose occasionally if you jab out the lag instead of shieling, i think people will find it stopping MKs rushing in.

theres certain follow-ups from missed attacks that i find are useful:
f.tilt-jab (assuming f.tilt misses, alot of people run into the jab)
d.tilt-roll back (its a safe escape)
upair is great too when auto canceled, sometimes people run into immediate followups.

if he's defensive, fake like you're going to b.air then walk away sometimes. you have to make them aggressive so you can trade hits.
if you absolutely have to approach, get a giant punch, use tilts, running upB, and go for more grabs (since they are more likely to shield when you have a giant punch charged)
d.throw to f.tilt at low damage, and at mid damage mix up running upBs, and walk for a split second then wait to see if they tornado/upb/etc and punish.

against tornado i usually use backwards uptilt.
When in doubt, DI upwards.
his N.air out of shield is amazing, you're never safe too close (even behind him)
If you get d.throw. if you DI away, try to jab or roll immediately (if you have time). If you DI upwards airdodge behind him and get the hell away.
Armor Guarding can be useful vs his recovery if they dont understand it. always look to trade hits with it and every single other move. Its often times better than shielding.
Dont forget that UpAir can easily KO when fresh (and b.air!) otherwise, d.smash out of shield and creative giant punches are your best bet.
DK has one of the best recoveries in the game. If you DI his shuttleloop edgeguards upward, mix up your UpB approach (stalling in air) and reverse charge-cancel (to turn around) and b.air, DK should pretty much ALWAYS make it back. (unless you DI a d.air bad) Even against pro MKs, DK should not die before 150.
KEEP IN MIND what KO moves he has that are still fresh (d.smash? f.smash? UpB? N.air?) Whichever one is fresh, thats the only you need to be Most focused on not getting hit by.

1. Can you remember your first tourney ever? How did it go?

2. What don't you like about DK?

3. What's the best advice you could give the average DK?

4. How did you become a part of the smash scene?

5. What's your most memorable loss?

6. Is D3 really THAT bad?

7. How often do you go for spikes?

8. Would you say Lee Martin is your rival? Have any other rivals?

9. You just lost to an average lucario in tourney 0-2. Lee Martin was watching. What do you do?

10. Tom or Jerry?

11. What is your favorite way to land a punch?

12. How often do grenades bother you in the snake match up? What do you do with them?

13. Many players say they don't know how to read their opponent properly or have trouble doing so. What do you look for when reading someone?
1) The 2004 New Orleans Regionals V-games (melee). The V-games traveled around the country at 30 locations to find the best players in different games. I won 1st with Doc over Lee's Sheik and Jigglypuff. (i think 33 entrants) I was promised a plane trip to Los Angeles to compete in the nationals.
The V games was an elaborate hoax that took probably a few 10,000 dollars from entrance fees, and then said they had to quit doing tournaments because they had a potential law suit from X-games. (they set themselves up for that excuse) We would have done a group law suit, but in originally signing for hte tournament we agreed they had the right to cease and desist all operations.
so yea..at the time, i thought i was one of the best players in the country (while of course not) and then got slapped in the face by a moose ****. I dont know how far you guys go back in the melee scene, but by its last couple years before brawl, i was considered one of the best Doc players (probably 2nd to Bobmoney). :p

2. small shield. and lack of a good move when he's above someone.

3. brawl is pretty much spacing. no matter how good you are, you can always learn to space better. also, UpAir more. its one of the best.

4. i started the smash scene in louisiana. i sought out players in smash 64, and when melee came out, me and lee jumped on it so hard. I was intentionally looking for a smash forum, and i found this. The site wasn't nearly as huge as it was before, but i read and participated and passed everything to lee. We were easily the best, and as we traveled to other tournaments in the state, we taught other players everything we knew. and eventually cultivated a very competitive smash scene.

5. my first Brawl TX tournament. my 2nd oponent was Melee1 (iceclimbers). He had JUST one the TX tournament previously, but he's not the most popular guy. When people heard he was fighting me, a crowd grew. We had a bigger crowd than the grand finals.
I beat his iceclimbers on battle field. (favorite moment was was grabbing nana...cargo-jump-d.throw-dj-d.air, lol) the crowd was going nuts.
he then 2 stocked my kirby w/ mk on rainbow.
i CP'd Picto as DK vs his MK. and we each had 1 stock over 130%. and we could NOT kill each other. he both almost died like 5 times. I've never been more nerve-wrecked in a videogame in my life. it was just the first to make a mistake, and that was me, when i upB'd over the edge into a dsmash.
i probably have losses i'm much more proud of, but thats the first one that came to mind.

6. if he didn't have chainthrow, DK should have an advantage. If you can beat a DDD, he's simply a worse player. My ego isn't that bad- that i need to fight ddds. i have 2ndaries for fights that dumb.

7. not very often, DK has 3, but they're all slow. If someone gets spiked, its because they got cocking edgeguarding me (f.air), or it was a character whos just easy to edgeguard. i think from hanging on the edge, jump (not letting go) canceled backwards forwardB has untapped potential, since he might be invincible the whole way.

8. not anymore. I literally haven't played brawl half as much as lee, and he's clearly a better player. I like to pretend all you DKs are my rivals, actually.

9. lmao. if that happened i'd probably say "i have no idea what just happened". i would be in disbelief at having no john.

10. tom. i feel bad for him. he's just being a cat. jerry is complete *** hat.

11. when i'm falling back to the ground, i charge backwards, they're rushing in, and i reverse 9 wind them in the face. i should make a list of all the players i've killed w/ that in tournament, lol

12. they dont bother me at all. DownB really is DK's prayer answered. i dont ever grab them. i just pretend they're not there and rush in often. Usually snake enjoys sharing exploding with people, but its not a good idea w/ dk.

13. i see players get frustrated they keep losing in these tiny mind games, determined to come out on top. Not every situation is 50/50 fair. Sometimes characters have spacing or frame advantages. If you an avoid those gambles, dont do them. Play safer, never show mercy, and you will control the fight. personally, i have alot of work to do myself with those.

Cyphus when are we blazing?
we'll blaze the 1st tourney we meet up ~_^

Cyphus, why does your body contort in ways that defy even Brawl physics?
i first noticed my flexibility when i was joined taekwondo ( i think i was around 9?) i noticed i was just way more flexible than all the other kids who had been in it much longer. doing stretches all the time only made me more flexible, and the found if i just relaxed all the muscles around my joints, i could pull them out a lil. i became a sideshow attraction in school. the 'freak' around the playground. it got me alot of attention, but still not respect.
at a melee national tournament (FC3) in indiana, someone recorded my contortioning and put it on ebaumsworld.com. i was not informed of this, but a friend, who frequented the site, calledm e up and said someone who looked just like me was doing my stuff. it was me. after doing extensive searching, i found who did it. they made 200 bucks off my talent, so to compensate they gave me 100.
some time later, the magician David Blaine (who went to the site too), saw my vid and was intrigued. he was going to be in new orleans and got my contact info through the site. i met up with him and spent the whole day w/ him, a couple friends, and was more or less his tour-buddy to experience the post-Katrina damage. he said he wanted to make a video for a reliefHe told me he was going to fly me to NewYork to perform (with other unique talents) before his own feat.
After I returned home, he never contacted me again. I thought i had finally got my big break (maybe i would get recognized out there since i'd be on TV). but for whatever reason, only his secretaries would respond to me, and gave me the run around about him being busy training for his next stunt. i had such high aspirations thanks to him, but he let me down. and not out of anger, i can honestly say, the man probably has an IQ of 70. i have quite a few stories of him being really ******** that one day.
since then i just do my contorting casually to entertain friends-of-friends. i feel my body getting a lil old for it anyway.

original vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQPq4tVy4qQ&feature=related

1. How long is your smash career so far.

2. What was the funniest moment you've had involving smash

3. If you can think of any, what bad habits do you see with some DK's? (no names)
1. 6 Years Of Tournaments.

2. Gah, I Wish I Had Some Kinna Answer :/ My Mind Is Blank

3. Unnecessary Airdodges, I Guess. I Think A Prob Is Just Not Using All His Moves To Their Potential (jab, Upair, Uptilt, D.tilt, And (smart) Smash Attacks.

1) so who would you say are the top3 most underrated chars in the game?
2) what´s your personal bad match-up or are you afraid of any character?
1) Pit, Peach, Toon Link I Think

2) I'm Afraid Of Pro Olimars. (that And Ddd, But Thats What My Ice Are For). Diddy Is Scarey Too.

Jeff.....

Smash Rookie
Wish i coulda stayed for singles.....The Tornado doesn't bother me at all....

Maybe because i can just bomb it..

toasty

Smash Hero
yeah, the pride issue :( I know what you mean....

I think Khalil has the original bracket on his laptop? I saved that **** to my flash drive [or so I thought?] before he left and when I transferred it to another laptop after he was gone, the brackets were all gone :( :( :(

whodat

Smash Apprentice
Yeah it kinda sucks what happened with the brackets, but at least we were far enough along to know what matches were left.

Toasty- I know you got 7th, but I wasn't sure who else was 7th. Anything past that I have no idea

toasty

Smash Hero
Wait how did Mashi and Schoolie tie....didn't they play against each other in the losers bracket???

and yeah I got 7th. I figured I was tied with Mashi because I THINK Schoolie beat him...not entirely sure. My logic is: Mashi/Schoolie played and BlackG/Schoolie played in the losers bracket, IIRC. Therefore, Schoolie had to have beaten Mashi and then lost to BlackG? And I was BlackG's last match before he faced Schoolie, so that makes Mashi 7th? [all of the above is only true if Mashi/Schoolie played eachother in losers]

wait...........I'm confused. who the crap else was 5th then????

MaSHi

Smash Journeyman
umm. i lost to fear then i lost to whodat. lol so iono. everyone above me was just kadaj/dragoncharlz/whodat/blackg. winner of us(me vs whodat) would have had to play dragon but i lost so iono lol. =P

Famous

Smash Champion
BlackG: I only tornado so much because it's the only way to approach certain characters...

There is more but this is all I heard. This is utter BS due to the fact that the majority of characters (if not all) are approachable without using the B move every 5 seconds...

I had alot of fun at the tourney, I'm looking foward to playing you all again. The friendlies I had were crazy fun.

toasty

Smash Hero
pretty sure he got frustrated with everyone *****ing at him the whole day and didn't feel like saying much else? He's fully capable of approaching other ways [and he does], but...I kinda pushed the idea of "soul crushing"...it's something Overswarm wrote...anyway, back to work >_>

Famous

Smash Champion
Lol, it crushes the fun rather than the soul...To me, I play this game to have fun and to play people that actually tries to play with skill rather than those that thinks whatever seems to work spams it to win...

But whatever, not trying to s*** on BlackG or anything..I'm just telling it how it is. I noticed that he actually TRIED different approaches but it was only for a brief second...and when in doubt B move out.

toasty

Smash Hero
yeah, it's like the SoVa equivalent to Plank...and recently Plank has done REALLY REALLY well without as much cheapness and while David's been working on it as well, it's not as reliable of a tactic for him YET so that's probably why...

I don't disagree with anyone who says it takes the fun out of it and it's not quite the same display of "skill" that a 2nd placing person would have exhibited. But I definitely second what Kadaj said [in the SoVa thread?] about how we just need to be better and step it up :)

all this ******** abuse of certain properties in the game will become obsolete as time goes on and everyone gets better =D

D0N

Smash Ace
I dont know the people who always get talked about. Whose Plank? A spam artist? Just curious.

toasty

Smash Hero
he's a known "do what it takes" felon from the legendary MD/VA region. In Melee it was his Sheik. In Brawl, it's his Metaknight. He recently beat Chillindude's [amazing] Falco by doing damage [taking a stock? don't recall] and essentially camping the ledge the rest of the match. There was more to the match than that but that was the brunt of it. He's also known for finding gay things about stages that he can exploit to the point of getting that level banned in tournaments.

He's not a horrible person though. Just don't bother reading 99% of what he posts in tournament threads as it's mostly trash talk blind with arrogance and "MD-VA pride". But a lot of it is to light the fire under the collective ***** of would-be competitors.

hah, JCaesar [a ROB player from MD] once assured someone he was going to MM that he wouldn't be totally gay in the match by saying "I am the anti-Plank."

whodat

Smash Apprentice
Yeah no offense but BlackG doesn't know how to approach without the B button. He just happened to place very well this tournament. When you take away the B button option such as Kadaj did when he switched characters, his lack of actual skill showed and he got demolished. Like I said before it was my fault that he was able to do that to me in the first place and my switching to a character that already has a very bad matchup vs metaknight didn't help.

Malco!!!

Smash Apprentice
Man this tourney was fun!
I guess Im back into brawl now!
Mashi and Jeff are going to help me catch back up with everyone and all my friendlies were crazy!
<3 Ice Climbers<3<3<3<3

Props to Mashi and Jeff FTW!

P.S. About this MK thing. I think its hard to get around, but there is always a way around everything *smiles at Jeff and Mashi :]*. I agree it sucks to have to deal with it, but I just think the big Red letters were un-called for and alittle immature. Didnt expect it from Whodat. He got second its not like he won with it. :rolleyes:

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
He May have abused tornado but its everyones faults for not having a counter to it . I Think everyone will be prepare for the next tourney. And im still down for helping your Iceclimbers out Malco Hit me up when ever your chillen at mashis or something.
-SK

Top Bottom