• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hey guys. Field some questions for me please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Looking for some info in one place. Please answer if you can. If answers aren't clear opinions are welcome. All questions are for Melee.

1. Who are the top 5 in Aus considered to be atm?

2. Who are the top 5 per state?

3. Are there any very good players who don't play in or place at tourneys?

4. Is SD the only Fox main player that is or has really held high rank?

5. Are there many players that place highly or beat to players with non-top-tiers?

6. Which stage is currently most controversial?

Cheers

Meredy

The Busterina
I haven't seen much of states other than Vic, so I won't comment on top 5 in Australia.

Top 5 in Vic are Dekar, SD, Redact, Splice and Atticus. (Skeletom you're a close 6th).

I've heard a lot about RedX but haven't seen him at all.

SD plays a lot of characters, not just Fox. But honestly I'd say yes from what I've seen. Dekar's a Marth, CAO's a Peach.

In terms of lower tier players, I've seen Jei place decently as a Yoshi.

No idea about stage controversy.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Top 5 in aus would be dekar syke sd then maybe myself/ted/zxv/rj/spup? Im not sure after the top 3.

5 for vic is dekar sd redact atticus toshi
5 for nsw is ted/zxv/rj/cal/?
5 for qld syke/spup/jbirds/haikal/?

Havent seen cao play at tourneys for a while until today at acl. Otherwise melbourne doesn't have any hidden gems I know of. Im assuming qld has some like kas or something. Maybe nsw has dome dormant vets.

No sd is not the only one. Kas has been very strong previously but has dissapeared within the past few years.

The only decently placing low tier player has been tranq in qld from what ive seen with yoshi.

Theres no real controversial stage. Like some people dislike fod for personal reasons but they totally accept it as a neutral and thats exaggerated as it is.

This is all off the top of my head non researched

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Top 3 is myself/sd/dekar but yer cant place the other 2.

Kas, ryan, rob, bryce float in and out of tourneys without real consistency.

SD has never won with just fox I dont think, its always been falco. Kas has probably had a better record overall with fox.

Noxus

Smash Cadet
Top 5 in aus would be dekar syke sd then maybe myself/ted/zxv/rj/spup? Im not sure after the top 3.

5 for vic is dekar sd redact atticus toshi
5 for nsw is ted/zxv/rj/cal/?
5 for qld syke/spup/jbirds/haikal/?

Havent seen cao play at tourneys for a while until today at acl. Otherwise melbourne doesn't have any hidden gems I know of. Im assuming qld has some like kas or something. Maybe nsw has dome dormant vets.

No sd is not the only one. Kas has been very strong previously but has dissapeared within the past few years.

The only decently placing low tier player has been tranq in qld from what ive seen with yoshi.

Theres no real controversial stage. Like some people dislike fod for personal reasons but they totally accept it as a neutral and thats exaggerated as it is.

This is all off the top of my head non researched
Cao in pr post acl?

Some results would help support, making into bracket would be a good start.

S.D

Smash Master
I've won tournaments fox only, but I consider myself a space animal main. Ps is probably the only controversial stage on the list.
Kier is a good player I haven't seen around for a while that has the potential to place well, he beat me in pools at ss last year.
Toshi probably has it just over skeletom and billy for 5th in melb.
I think ted has fox now too? Atticus has fox and so does spup.

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
Oh so you are Shaz? I honestly had no idea who anyone was when I went to BAM6 and we did a round of Roy Dittos at Melee Pools, if you can remember...

I can't help with any of your questions, but since you've been around for a long time, can you provide me some history about the Aussie smash scene and its players? (I'm new to the community, hard to find info w.o asking)
Does Cao ever use Bowser in tourney?
Will Roy ever see the light of day?
I'll repay you in Roy Dittos MMs next time we meet which you'd probably win at. Cheers

Splice

Smash Hero
Looking for some info in one place. Please answer if you can. If answers aren't clear opinions are welcome. All questions are for Melee.

1. Who are the top 5 in Aus considered to be atm?

2. Who are the top 5 per state?

3. Are there any very good players who don't play in or place at tourneys?

4. Is SD the only Fox main player that is or has really held high rank?

5. Are there many players that place highly or beat to players with non-top-tiers?

6. Which stage is currently most controversial?

Cheers
Dekar, SD, Ted, Syke for top 4 and then RJ/Cao/Redact for the 5th spot. ZXV too although I have not played him.

2. SD/Dekar/Redact/Atticus for top 4, then I'd say myself due to representing myself the best lately (for the most part) but if you look at the set records between Tom Toshi and Me from this year there's nothing concrete. I'm good for beating Toshi next monthly though :)

3. Kier and Aggromidget are two really great players in VIC that pretty much never come to anything. Neither of them have entered a tournament this year I'm pretty sure but I play Aggro regularly and he's a great C.Falcon. The Yoshi/C.Falcon player Julian that I played from ACL is probably a regular in NSW I have no idea but I have never heard of him before and he was really good.

4. SD, Atticus, $pup and Ted have all held a good tournament rep this year with Fox. Toshi would have too but decided to be a bad person and not attend anything.

5. I'll see how the Mewtwo goes at one of the monthlies after SS this year, I guess. Outside of that Joey is a very good Luigi and Cody is a very good Samus. But J-Birds won a DK only tournament (which matters more than a regular tournament) with nothing but his DK which is probably the most prestige anyone in Aus has garnered this year.

6. Pokemon Stadium is pretty controversial but kind of necessary. I think Kongo Jungle 64 should be legal for doubles because being able to recover from under the stage isn't that bad in the first place and is also less of a problem in doubles anyway. You can't really circle camp against two people, and the barrel is only as much of a problem as Randall is to be honest.
The worst thing about Melee stages is that there are only 6 viable/legal Singles stages so there are no bans in a best of 5 which is not a good thing and besides it's very weird to have bans in a bo3 but not bo5.

Cheers to you, Shaz.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
m8 I've won tourneys with Roy but that doesnt make it legit. I meant national tourneys.
Roy is legit. I will not hear otherwise.
You've won nationals with Roy? Do tell. Apologies, but your screen name isn't familiar. Have we met? Why haven't I heard of someone else playing Roy at nationals and doing well!? (Plasia doesn't count, bless his soul, but god I love that guy for trying!).
EDIT* Syke..don't troll me sunsine! You've never won nationals as Roy!

Oh so you are Shaz? I honestly had no idea who anyone was when I went to BAM6 and we did a round of Roy Dittos at Melee Pools, if you can remember...

I can't help with any of your questions, but since you've been around for a long time, can you provide me some history about the Aussie smash scene and its players? (I'm new to the community, hard to find info w.o asking)
Does Cao ever use Bowser in tourney?
Will Roy ever see the light of day?
I'll repay you in Roy Dittos MMs next time we meet which you'd probably win at. Cheers
- I am indeed. I can remember, yeah. Was fun :)
- History about the Smash scene...mm what did you want to know? I could write an essay, but it would be easier if you be more specific :)
- Yes he has. He used to pick it for specific matchups against people he was confident against. He would take them to Mushroom Kingdom 2 lol. There was a tournament where I randomed a char to play through as and got Bowser. KO knocked me out of losers with his own Bowser in a tight match (his Bowser is legit!). FYI Emily sent us both to losers. She used Falco against my Bowser because she is a heartless ***** lol <3.
- Yes. Very much yes. I am doing everything I can to return Roy to his former glory.
- I don't like MM people. It feels cruel. I'll happily play some matches with you though!! :)

Cheers for the responses all. If anyone has more to say please, keep it coming :D

Last edited:

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
I meant winning tourneys with a character e.g fox at a national level, not just a state local.
Ah ok I'm with you now. thought it was in reference to the winning with Roy sentence rather than the one from your prior post. My mistake.

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
- History about the Smash scene...mm what did you want to know? I could write an essay, but it would be easier if you be more specific :)
I just read this article: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Australian_Smash_Circuit
I'm aware it's outdated and it might have some inaccuracies, but there's a huge gap between 2007-present, if you can't fill in that gap then I guess you could talk about Australia's prime players during the early days, or your experience at OC2.

Gords

Smash Champion
My opinions,
Top 5 NSW
Ted, zxv, Cao, RJ, joe

Top 4 Aus
Dekar, syke, SD, ted
In no particular order
5th hard to call. Let see what happens at Shadowloo

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
I'd say Cao deserves top 5 atm. He did beat RJ in a ditto and seems to do better overall in matchups. Personally I probably couldnt have beaten Cao on Sunday unless I really went in with shiek, but I did beat RJ 3-1 only moments before going full ****** on Cao XD

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
so wait, ted and cao beat a sandbagging syke at a tournament where billy almost beats ted too and somehow people are rating both above myself?

as much as I'd be keen to ride it out, ted and cao have placed well at one tournament and they've not placed in anything national for a very long time. where as recently i've taken sets off dekar and come close with s.d, dont forget i've also never lost a game to billy and i 4 stocked the fox that also 4 stocked billy in the most recent tournament.

I'd be happy to mm ted or such to prove my point, but the reality is that teds got 1 shakey result and somehow people are rating him highly which is pretty dumb.

jeeze I wish I could be in the free state that is nsw, forever easy

Last edited:

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Have you ever out placed Cao at the same tournament?

I do agree with questioning everyone jumping on the Ted wagon. If he had lost to me then he would have vs'd RJ who he lost to recently and I doubt anyone would be giving him a second look for top 5 atm.

I would put both Cao and RJ in a top 5 before Ted atm.

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Have you ever out placed Cao at the same tournament?
I've won a national more recently than cao, cao also has not been in the same tournament as me since the start of 2011?

If you're gonna count results that old, I also beat ted more recently than I had a tournament with cao.

And on your edit: I don't think theres any real grounds for placing anyone as a clear 4/5 yet between myself/cao/rj/ted

If you look at results, teds taken a set off you, caos taken a set off you, i've taken a set off dekar and rj's taken a set off ted. That's about all we've got. The rest of it becomes x did better against y or such.

Placing ted or rj or even myself as a 4th/5th currently imo is silly, the top 3 is pretty clean imo but then after that its a pretty clear struggle for 4/5. its pretty much tiers at the moment.

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
m8 stop trying to make that tourney a national

its not going to happen
It's about as much of a national as sydney ACL was just now.

both had dekar, both had cao. Only one had zxv (melb) and one had ted (syd) and neither had S.D. Then there's yourself and myself.

after that it comes down to players who wouldnt make top 5 had there been everyone in attendance. It also had a much bigger prize pool than syd did, thanks to nova.

And thanks to you making me look it up, I actually did out place cao in our most recent tournament we both went to, ACL melb in 2012

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
so wait, ted and cao beat a sandbagging syke at a tournament where billy almost beats ted too and somehow people are rating both above myself?

as much as I'd be keen to ride it out, ted and cao have placed well at one tournament and they've not placed in anything national for a very long time. where as recently i've taken sets off dekar and come close with s.d, dont forget i've also never lost a game to billy and i 4 stocked the fox that also 4 stocked billy in the most recent tournament.

I'd be happy to mm ted or such to prove my point, but the reality is that teds got 1 shakey result and somehow people are rating him highly which is pretty dumb.

jeeze I wish I could be in the free state that is nsw, forever easy
I beat the the fox that 4 stocked me (don't recall a 4 stock but w/e) on the day as well. You haven't played me in a set this year.
That said I'd definitely feel more comfortable vsing Ted in tournament than yourself or even Atticus, but I played very badly against Toshi and I have a lot of very bad reasons which I think I have fixed. You put Toshi above me for top 5 in this state after he hasn't done anything this year I think it's the same kind of oversight.
Not including me as potentially top5 in VIC is the same as not recognising you being on par with Ted for top5 in Aus.

also if you're saying Ted beat a sandbagging Syke then you shouldn't bring up me losing to Toshi, I might as well been sandbagging.... #nojohns

I don't give a **** about the old results you two are bringing up right now but if you don't want to regard ACL as the legit and wanna question everything than I'd say only Dekar and SD have proven that they are definitely top 5 in Aus for this year.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I beat the the fox that 4 stocked me (don't recall a 4 stock but w/e) on the day as well. You haven't played me in a set this year.
That said I'd definitely feel more comfortable vsing Ted in tournament than yourself or even Atticus, but I played very badly against Toshi and I have a lot of very bad reasons which I think I have fixed. You put Toshi above me for top 5 in this state after he hasn't done anything this year I think it's the same kind of oversight.
Not including me as potentially top5 in VIC is the same as not recognising you being on par with Ted for top5 in Aus.

also if you're saying Ted beat a sandbagging Syke then you shouldn't bring up me losing to Toshi, I might as well been sandbagging.... #nojohns

I don't give a **** about the old results you two are bringing up right now but if you don't want to regard ACL as the legit and wanna question everything than I'd say only Dekar and SD have proven that they are definitely top 5 in Aus for this year.
Toshi placed 3rd at miles warehouse, which was this january by the way, and 3rd at the monthly.

There's been heaps of events so it feels like it has been longer, but toshi took the shortest hiatus ever and attended pretty much everything before that, so imo he shouldnt be discounted.

He has kept his form mostly and has placings from this year, which is pretty relevant.

Also based on your play vs ted at all points at ACL I don't think you've fixed stuff, which frustrates me. Didn't see a single ledge hop bair edge guard, not a single edge hop double lazer. You still do turn around shines which stop you from jumping and the list goes on. It looked like the same game you played vs toshi just that toshi is 5x faster than ted. Work on this stuffffff

Like im willing to have good discussions in regards to why/why not include people, but can you guys research for one before posting incorrect rebuttals time and time again?

As I said before, I dont think anyone can be ranked below the top 3 so im not trying to argue for myself, just against any others

doesnt matter m8 they had like Kas and Aaron and Tristan and Ryan and Sam who have all beaten Cao so there, legit nationals.
Actually when have last won a tournament with any top player from another state in attendance, dekar or s.d or ted or zxv heck even cao.

I tried to look through qld stuff but couldnt find too much apart from you losing to sp, so please refresh my memory

Last edited:

cheese619

Smash Ace
Arguing over this is dumb as **** everyone bring their A Game to Shadowloo Showdown and we'll see what happens (apart from Armada bopping everyone).

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Arguing over this is dumb as **** everyone bring their A Game to Shadowloo Showdown and we'll see what happens (apart from Armada bopping everyone).
How else am I gonna pass the time at work, they blocked twitch.

On another note I totes will be mming both syke and ted there, probably more.

There's a good chance due to international/s that we wont get some wanted matches played unless mm's happen

J-Birds

Smash Lord
Warning Received
my **** is bigger than both of yours

</thread>

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom