• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

He's going to be one of the best characters in the game

Dax

Smash Journeyman
Mark my words.
I've seen a lot of gameplay of him by now, he has a lot of kill power and tons of ways to camp the opponent. His recovery is incredible, too.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
After playing him a lot so far I can only agree, I don't see many weaknesses tbh and not a single attack is useless really.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Okay, forget anything I said before about Sakurai.

This is the ultimate troll move he's ever done. It's too perfect, if this dumb dog ends overpowered, I'm gonna rage, and press buttons like a madman.

You guys won't like me when I'm raging.

Thor

Smash Champion
Mark my words.
I've seen a lot of gameplay of him by now, he has a lot of kill power and tons of ways to camp the opponent. His recovery is incredible, too.
His recovery is rather predictable, and unless FOW was doing it wrong, one does not seem to have a lot of control over it (and no hitbox), so reliable spikes like Mario fair, Falco dair, DK dair, and Samus dair will probably trump his recovery offstage.

After seeing some of the silly things Samus has, I'm actually inclined to believe Sakurai's testing that she's among the most powerful of the cast.

Also what you said sounds like Villager honestly - Villager versus Duck Hunt Dog and dittos?

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
I think it is interesting if DHD turns out to be good because he would be the first ""joke"" character to be top tier I think :)

There is no need to rage, I mean Roy's finally back, amirite?

I still love that joke, don't judge me :p

Spirst

Okay, forget anything I said before about Sakurai.

This is the ultimate troll move he's ever done. It's too perfect, if this dumb dog ends overpowered, I'm gonna rage, and press buttons like a madman.

I hope DHD is a great character. Even if he isn't though, I'm still definitely using him.

Last edited:

Dax

Smash Journeyman
His recovery is rather predictable, and unless FOW was doing it wrong, one does not seem to have a lot of control over it (and no hitbox), so reliable spikes like Mario fair, Falco dair, DK dair, and Samus dair will probably trump his recovery offstage.
Then he was doing something wrong. With DHD you can go near the stage and then suddenly go up. Stuff like Villager's F-Smash would work in that case but for many other characters it's not easy, I assure you. I've seen tons of people trying to stop him by now.

After seeing some of the silly things Samus has, I'm actually inclined to believe Sakurai's testing that she's among the most powerful of the cast.
any examples? Genuinely curious. Wasn't too impressed by her - neither I think she's a low tier though.

Thor

Smash Champion
Then he was doing something wrong. With DHD you can go near the stage and then suddenly go up. Stuff like Villager's F-Smash would work in that case but for many other characters it's not easy, I assure you. I've seen tons of people trying to stop him by now.

any examples? Genuinely curious. Wasn't too impressed by her - neither I think she's a low tier though.
It just looks like except for a [seemingly] sourspot on her dair and bomb-jumping being ever so slightly less useful, she got nothing but buffs - SDI not being as prominent makes her fair, usmash, uair, and screw attack all better, her dair spikes and has a wide hitbox, her charge shot is once again very powerful, and her fsmash got a range boost while all her smashes seem to do more KB (including usmash). And her dtilt seems to KO a bit earlier as well.

Her nair is different but appears primarily to be a buff.

Add to that her heavy weight and great recovery and I think she's gonna be a force (though I would guess that calling her top tier was premature indeed - perhaps among the top for now, but her KO problems appear to have left her, at least as things stand now, and that was the only area she really had issues with in Brawl, besides SDI and some chaingrabs that hurt her).

EDIT: Loss of ability to have out two missiles (or so it seemed from one clip I lost) probably hurts her too, though with auto-cancelling gone not as much as it would have if auto-cancelling remained.

Last edited:

WabbitSeason

Smash Cadet
I can't remember off the top of my head, but does pressing B to shoot the can cause any lag on the dog? Basically, can he do it while jumping, running, in between attacks, or even during attacks? If so, that'd be pretty OP.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
They are going to be one of the best characters in the game*

Fixed that for you.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Even if they aren't viable competitively, I'll use them anyway. What an absolutely FANTASTIC choice.

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
They're shaping up to actually be one of the best characters in the game. All dem projectiles and disjointed hitbox smashes.

Wild Woody

Smash Rookie
NNID
YuriKoigakubo
3DS FC
2707-1621-8891
From what i've seen, he looks to be one of the most competitive characters in the whole game. He's pretty damn fast. His projectiles are amazing if you know how to use them. His smash attacks are absurdly large in size and very strong. And he has good throws. Aside from all the good stuff he has, i can't really find anything bad about him.

Gam3rALO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gam3rALO
DHD looks really good. He's going to be my second main:grin:

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I called it the second I first saw him being used effectively in online play; he's gonna be the new Snake. He has very, very strong zoning tools as well as quick, reliable KO moves. Those 2 factors alone are enough to make any character viable. This doesn't even include the other great things he has going for him such as those crazy disjointed hitboxes.

He's going to be a force in the Smash 4 metagame for sure.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I don't know about that, His Standard B is slow and his Side B is easily avoidable and his Down B is one of the weakest attacks in the game and his recovery is weak.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
He will be top tier but he has weaknesses.

>light weight(dies around 94% depending on who you're fighting)
>Snake like recovery(easily predictable and can be edge guard you MUST use his standard special to prevent the opponent from attacking you offstage)
>His standard special(he relies on this a lot characters like Rosalina,Villager who can pocket them are huge counters).

but every weakness he has can be overcomed, such the recovery as i stated as well as using the moment they try to pocket your projectile go in for a punish.

Last edited:

Bralef

Smash Cadet
His dair is a meteor smash, right? Is it any good?

Also, how low is his hitbox when he's crawling?

D

Deleted member 245254

His dair is a meteor smash, right? Is it any good?

Also, how low is his hitbox when he's crawling?
It is indeed, and it's quite good. His uair, fair, nair, and bair are all rather amazing. The attacks that use the duck as the attacker have such extensive and long hitboxes, it almost feels unfair.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
It is indeed, and it's quite good. His uair, fair, nair, and bair are all rather amazing. The attacks that use the duck as the attacker have such extensive and long hitboxes, it almost feels unfair.
Meta Knight, meet your maker.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Is there any way I can just like this entire thread and give it all my money.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
The game just came out, can you please quit trying to label characters in a tier format. I don't think you understand how many matchups there are in this game. Count every character and label them as x with 2 as the exponent.

Do the Math and please quit having early judgments on a character because of the gameplay you've seen. Not every player is a top player my friend.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
The game just came out, can you please quit trying to label characters in a tier format. I don't think you understand how many matchups there are in this game. Count every character and label them as x with 2 as the exponent.

Do the Math and please quit having early judgments on a character because of the gameplay you've seen. Not every player is a top player my friend.
I guess you're right and we should just not like or look forward to any characters then... ._.

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
This character is campy as ****. Like I've played a few in 4 glory now and jesus all they do is spam Side-B. I've beaten them pretty much every time, but it's so ****ing annoying. How do you best get around this? I've noticed that Sheik can actually run under it if timed right, but the move is so good at spacing I'm not really sure how best to deal with it. Any suggestions?

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
I guess you're right and we should just not like or look forward to any characters then... ._.
I didn't mean it like that, it's just you can't assume a character is top tier because of bias. Sure he has many great tools but he's pretty much a lightweight version of Snake.

I'll main duck hunt because I think Duck Hunt/Duck Hunt Duo is a troll.

Play who you want guys but bringing up tiers this early gives the game tons of negative ratings, for example there's a "Japanese Tier List" and Palutena is E Tier in it, everybody knows Palutena won't be that low so what's the point of trying to organize
Something that will surely be changed?

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
I didn't mean it like that, it's just you can't assume a character is top tier because of bias. Sure he has many great tools but he's pretty much a lightweight version of Snake.

I'll main duck hunt because I think Duck Hunt/Duck Hunt Duo is a troll.

Play who you want guys but bringing up tiers this early gives the game tons of negative ratings, for example there's a "Japanese Tier List" and Palutena is E Tier in it, everybody knows Palutena won't be that low so what's the point of trying to organize
Something that will surely be changed?

Palutena probably is E tier. I mean don't get me wrong, this game has some expert level balance to it, but there's still going to be outliers. For instance, Bowser... He can break a 100% shield with one move and that alone places him in top tier. Anyway getting off topic. The point is, while tiers might not be really necessary for this game, Palutena sucks, and Duck Hunt doesn't.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I played him, He's alright.

Seems like you people WANT him to be the best just because it's an awesome addition to the roster.

Last edited:

Waverunner

Smash Cadet
Duck Hunt is a camper character, which is fitting considering they represent some of the earliest first person shooters. In fact, his standard special is a common trope among FPSes, the Explosive Barrel.

I really enjoy the Zig Zag Can custom. If used right, it can combo opponents into the air and send them flying.

The Heavy Gunman custom is also nice for camping as well. It fends off projectiles nicely, and lasts for a while, giving you plenty of time to send out a Can and/or Clay Pigeon.

I prefer the default Clay Pigeon to the customs. The compacted shots are devastating if used right, and is good to keep opponents on edge at a distance out of its range.

I don't have any Up specials yet, but I think I'll enjoy having the attacking variation, to combo opponents even more after the Zig Zag can sends them flying.

I'm finding that his specials can be useful for recovering off a stage. I have 2 ideas so far that I need to test out more:
1. Death From Above: While in the high in air off the side of a stage, you could kick a can on an edge guarding opponent in order to stun or distract them for long enough to recover.
2. Help from Above: While off the stage, summon a gunman (Default would be best) on level with the edge guarding opponent, and drop below it before using Up B to recover. Hopefully, the edgegurded opponent will be attacked by the gunman, or dodging out of the way, giving you enough time to recover.

RNH

Smash Cadet
He's fantastic, love his side special so much. Decided to main him.

Besides, he's F**king hilarious, best troll Sakurai has ever pulled.

Last edited:

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
He's fantastic, love his side special so much. Decided to main him.

Besides, he's F**king hilarious, best troll Sakurai has ever pulled.
Stop calling him a joke/WTF/troll character, He's a serious addition to Smash Bros.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
I don't like how some people are trying to shape his metagame when we've had like 2 3DS tournies.

We have to collect data from all characters in tournament. No character can play every matchup the same.

Let the future top players shape our metagame and not make a mess this early.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Maybe I just suck at using him. I'm trying, though. I did some cool tricks with him against other players, using the can and the clay simultaneously. I'd like to use him as a second if not third.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Yeah it's a fun character, probly will piss off a lot of people that hate projectile game. He's all about controlling space on the stage and eliciting evasive responses. There are some things about Duck Hunt that seem like weaknesses though:

-recovery leaves you open and doesn't even travel that high
-fair is really, really ****ing weak... barely KOs you have to be super close to the blastzone
-clay pigeon is hard to bring out unless really far from opponent, or will be punished
-throws are pure garbage, thankfully grab is fast
-can will damage self... probly only thing from making it OP
-characters that neutralize projectiles like Wario, Villager, Rosa, and Koopaling all render this guy useless. Difficult for him to rack up damage on opponents without the help of his projectile specials. If the can is just eaten/pocketed/etc, then his only other kill/knockback moves are the smashes and they are predictable and punishable.

His bair is his best kill move. Nair is good too if you connect with the enemy at the very beginning of the attack. Dair and uair have their uses as well (and are just meh imo) but this fair just blows so much, despite its range.

Last edited:

Bralef

Smash Cadet
Hm, his meteor smash doesn't seem to be very strong, but I guess he doesn't really need to leave the stage to edgeguard, anyway.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Imo he is bottom 3. I don't how anyone who plays him vs a competent opponent thinks he is any good as a character. Literally any move done by any character destroys his camp game. And he has no coverage from air opponents approaching. Can gets beat by any hitbox. REGARDLESS OF WHAT IT IS. Sorry guys. But I am going to disagree with everyone on the hype train. DHD is going to be midtier at best and low tier at worst.

Top Bottom