• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes Draw Near. Command? (Hero Social Thread)

Not counting newcomers/echoes, which kind of DQ content would you like in future Smash games?

• Assist throphies (i.e. Slime/Slime Family, Golems, Killer Machines, Party Members)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Mii costumes (Alena, Torneko, Yangus, Priest)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Stages to show more DQ worlds

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New tracks and arrangements

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • A boss (i.e. Dragonlord, Estark, Bjørn)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More Hero Alts (either male or female)

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • More cameos

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Items (Chimera wing for example)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Pretty sure it will be the Geno costume.
I can very much see this happen.

I mean, until further notice Square clearly doesn't seem to think the character can be used in any meaningful way, so it's likely that Sakurai or Nintendo folks might have asked them "we would like to have Geno in Smash Bros" and that Square, instead of outright saying no, went "You can have him...as a Mii costume.".

I have the feeling that people will have to continue asking for SE characters (although Crono demand may shrink considerably by then) until Square eventually has absolutely no other choice but be forced to acknowledge Geno's demand.

D

Deleted member

You gotta give some credit to Geno doh.

He is the only party member from any Mario RPG title who even got a Mii Costume. Not even Goombella got a Mii hat.

So Nintendo seems to care about Geno or Mario RPG at least to give them such a rare treatment at the moment.

Wish Mallow got something too doh.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

He is the only party member from any Mario RPG title who even got a Mii Costume. Not even Goombella got a Mii hat.

So Nintendo seems to care about Geno or Mario RPG at least to give them such a rare treatment at the moment.

Baby steps, there. At least Mallow did get a spirit. Everybody else basically doesn't exist (or worse, got eradicated by Dharkon), apart from Megasmilax being mentioned.

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice

I mean, until further notice Square clearly doesn't seem to think the character can be used in any meaningful way, so it's likely that Sakurai or Nintendo folks might have asked them "we would like to have Geno in Smash Bros" and that Square, instead of outright saying no, went "You can have him...as a Mii costume.".

I have the feeling that people will have to continue asking for SE characters (although Crono demand may shrink considerably by then) until Square eventually has absolutely no other choice but be forced to acknowledge Geno's demand.
I still think Geno is a vocal minority. The casual fanbase doesn't know Geno like they know DQ, especially in Japan.

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice

I actually think Geno has a really good chance. His fanbase, while initially small, has stuck around for an extended period of time, gradually getting more and more supporters. Square's a pretty big hurdle, sure. However I think the hardest part about getting Cloud was more on the composer, Uematsu, not letting them use his music. The composer for SMRPG was Shimomura, who seemingly had no problems with her music being used when Shulk was added, and that's assuming she owns the music and not Square or Nintendo.

As for Crono, I think he can still make it in as well, though some songs from CT are still owned by Uematsu. I mean, CT was a collaboration between the creator of FF and the creator of DQ, so with both of those franchises now being represented in Smash, it would actually make a lot of sense to me if Crono got in now.

I don't necessarily believe that a character getting a Mii costume de-confirms them. If anything, I think that Geno would get a Mii costume just to bait and switch us later. They seem to be the ones to do that sort of thing.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't necessarily believe that a character getting a Mii costume de-confirms them. If anything, I think that Geno would get a Mii costume just to bait and switch us later. They seem to be the ones to do that sort of thing.
They aren't going to devote resources and licensing money on a "bait and switch." People thought this with the Smash 4 DLC with K. Rool and that clearly didn't happen. There has never been a time where Sakurai played the long con on "baiting" people. He isn't some Willy Wonka trickster.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What is this the Geno thread now?
Because the actual Geno thread is a bit of a downer. :drsad:

They aren't going to devote resources and licensing money on a "bait and switch." People thought this with the Smash 4 DLC with K. Rool and that clearly didn't happen. There has never been a time where Sakurai played the long con on "baiting" people. He isn't some Willy Wonka trickster.
I've seen at least one person think a Monster Hunter can get in this game, despite the fact that the base game content seemed to be all we'd get for that series in Ultimate's context. Then there are those that believe ATs can get upgraded in the current game they are in, and there's even a big "leak" floating around banking on Waluigi becoming playable.

People don't realise that actually willing to do these things isn't as simple as it seems, and in the end they won't realise until it's too late that they just get this instead:

I mean sure, the Smash staff could theoretically do those things, but for personal reasons, they most likely won't. It's like people are confusing Sakurai with Street Fighter's Ono, in regards to personality.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai: "While I'm not allowed to reveal the contents of this season pass, I can advice you to not purchase content unless you have full confidence in the quality of our work."

Fans: "lol trolling is such a Sakurai thing to do"

D

Deleted member

The plane is close to flying away.

See ya'll in some hours!

Sunredo

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai: "While I'm not allowed to reveal the contents of this season pass, I can advice you to not purchase content unless you have full confidence in the quality of our work."

Fans: "lol trolling is such a Sakurai thing to do"
Hey now, don’t lump the rest of the fans with me. They could actually have some common sense in contrast to me, the guy currently studying the meta of Uno and playing Yu-Gi-Oh to be prepared in case Hero’s command menu is randomized so I have the peak resource management skills of Uno and true faith in the heart of the cards. I’m too far gone to make an argument without something obscene in it that I somehow thought was reasonable at this point. I’ve given into chaos and I’m embracing it fully.

Or at least until SMT V comes out since it’s actually a personal tradition of mine to go law first in MegaTen games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There was a small delay on the flight.

Just wanted to say in the meantime that you can watch some movies during the flight including Captain Marvel.

I think that I will watch that one instead of playing Smash.

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
Do you think the hero might drop this week?

I mean the dragon quest builders 2 release is this week, the french twitter, the mysterious manteniance i think everything is aligning perfectly.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Yeah, seems like there's lots of circumstantial evidence pointing to this week, but nothing concrete. I could definitely see it happening, but I'm not 100% on it either.

D

Deleted member

Hopefully it happens this week so I can try Guv out with my friend.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
I assume Hero will be dropped this week as maintenance and stuff is going on so if we do indeed get him this week when do you think they'll do the challenger approaching thing? I hope for it to be dropped tonight but that may be asking for a bit too much.

I'm interested in Hero cause he looks really cool and I'd like to test him out sometime plus.. I really want to find out Geno's fate already.

D

Deleted member

If Hero drops this week, I want to start playing as him alongside my friend.

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
Apparently the official smash YouTube channel uploaded a private video. Hero incoming?
Also Nintendo released an ad upcoming games on the Nintendo YouTube channel that had smash Bros x DQ11 and smash Bros x Banjo Kazooie in it.

I'm thinking tomorrow evening is the trailer.

D

Deleted member

Also Nintendo released an ad upcoming games on the Nintendo YouTube channel that had smash Bros x DQ11 and smash Bros x Banjo Kazooie in it.

I'm thinking tomorrow evening is the trailer.
Yes please.

I want to play him with my friend while I stay at Madrid.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
So I was trying to finish up my all-draconian-quests-except-shypox run through DQXI today and...
I had been struggling to beat Mordegon's first phase before getting a really lucky run and beating him. I lost to the second phase, but since I had done the whole thing in one try on my easy mode run I wasn't sure if I could skip to the second phase by going back to last save location rather than reverting to the autosave before the first fight. Turns out, you can't. So I lost my auto save that had several pepped up party members and full HP/MP right before the fight. There really should be a save spot there.

No, I'm not salty at all, why would you say that?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm starting to think Hero really will have randomized specials, because now that I think about it, constant access to some of his moves, namely Kasnooze, Kacrackle Slash, and Kamikaze, depending on how exactly they work, could be pretty overpowered even with the MP limiter.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Fans that don't know better: "That character's going to be too broken, please nerf."
Also fans that don't know better: "That character sucks and isn't viable."
Every time. I wish this wasn't so predictable. :sadsheep:

Do you think the hero might drop this week?

I mean the dragon quest builders 2 release is this week, the french twitter, the mysterious manteniance i think everything is aligning perfectly.
Nah. Given what happened throughout April in regards to folks expecting Joker, I wouldn't be shocked if the goalpost was moved by people every time nothing happens on an "ideal date" to release Hero (no offense to you and others, Sigran101 Sigran101 ). And this time there aren't holiday or lore-related reasons to justify this kind of assumption.

I'm prepared to be proven wrong, though.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'm starting to think Hero really will have randomized specials, because now that I think about it, constant access to some of his moves, namely Kasnooze, Kacrackle Slash, and Kamikaze, depending on how exactly they work, could be pretty overpowered even with the MP limiter.
I'm guessing the startup involved with bringing up the menu every time is more than enough to balance them. In general, I think The Hero will have more options than anyone else in the game, but it will be limited by how easy it is to read what they will do next via the menus and that they have a limited pool of MP to use them with.

Again, though, I hope we get more details soon so we can stop worrying about all this stuff in hypotheticals.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Fans that don't know better: "That character's going to be too broken, please nerf."
Also fans that don't know better: "That character sucks and isn't viable."
Every time. I wish this wasn't so predictable. :sadsheep:

Nah. Given what happened throughout April in regards to folks expecting Joker, I wouldn't be shocked if the goalpost was moved by people every time nothing happens on an "ideal date" to release Hero (no offense to you and others, Sigran101 Sigran101 ). And this time there aren't holiday or lore-related reasons to justify this kind of assumption.

I'm prepared to be proven wrong, though.
I'm confused. What about this are you worried will offend me?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm confused. What about this are you worried will offend me?
Well, just pointing out the habit of assuming that a character will show up at a certain date for strenuous reasons, only to be repeatedly be proven wrong since it's impossible to predict Nintendo's actions based on patterns.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, history is potentially repeating itself here.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I suddenly realized something.

Alena from Dragon Quest IV is named that because, in katakana (アレナ), her name can also be read as "arena," referencing her love of fighting and the fact that the climax of her chapter involves fighting a tournament in an arena against a series of opponents.

Yet another reason Alena is one of the series' coolest party members~

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Alena from Dragon Quest IV is named that because, in katakana (アレナ), her name can also be read as "arena," referencing her love of fighting and the fact that the climax of her chapter involves fighting a tournament in an arena against a series of opponents.

Nice! Never would have thought of that.

Speaking of names. I'm glad Necrosaro was changed to Psaro the freaking Manslayer. It sounds much MUCH cooler.
(And like another famous manslayer, he ends his manslaying days and becomes a good guy)

Munchi

Smash Journeyman

What curious

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I knew of the alternate spelling ages ago. :4pacman:

That being said, I honestly wonder how on Earth the DQ fans would reach a consensus for whoever is the secondary party member that should get in Smash first, there's so many (and that's without taking Slime into account). Sonic fans already have problems agreeing on a secondary character, and even they have it easier than us.

Last edited:

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
I'm kinda hoping for DQ12 we go back to the 4-5 party members like 6,7 and 8 i think it allows for more character devolopment that the big party we got in 11 of like 8 characters, i'd also like if the hero spoke in a future game i think it would be cool for just one game.

Prediction of what DQ content besides the hero we'll get:

Music: (6 songs)
Adventure (DQ3) *Confirmed*
Main Theme (DQ) *Confirmed*
Unflinchable Courage (DQ11)
Boss Theme (DQ11)
Battle for the Glory (DQ4)
War Cry (DQ8)

Spirits:

Slime (Blue Kirby)
Erik (Blue Ike with Killer Blade)
Veronica (Red Young Link)
Serena (Green Zelda, healing fields apparear) *hinted at the trailer*
Sylvando (White Joker, enemy taunts and squid sister AT spawns randomly)
Jade (Green Zero Suit Samus, Kick attacks are heavily used) *hinted at the trailr*
Rab (Mario...no idea about anything esle tbh)
Jasper (Blonde Female Robin with a Killer Blade)
Hendrick (Ganondorf with gogat pokeball assist)

Serena and Jade spirits might have been hinted at the trailer but hey who knows.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
I'm kinda hoping for DQ12 we go back to the 4-5 party members like 6,7 and 8 i think it allows for more character devolopment that the big party we got in 11 of like 8 characters, i'd also like if the hero spoke in a future game i think it would be cool for just one game.
IDK, I thought DQ11 handled character development about as well as any of those other games (though I never wound up finishing 6). One thing I've really grown to appreciate is the depth that switching party members adds to combat, and with fewer options to swap to it doesn't work out quite as well. Of course, that's also partly a product of 11's slightly different combat system, so if we went back to the old system that would be pretty moot.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

Prediction of what DQ content besides the hero we'll get:

Music: (6 songs)
Adventure (DQ3) *Confirmed*
Main Theme (DQ) *Confirmed*
Unflinchable Courage (DQ11)
Boss Theme (DQ11)
Battle for the Glory (DQ4)
War Cry (DQ8)

Spirits:

Slime (Blue Kirby)
Erik (Blue Ike with Killer Blade)
Veronica (Red Young Link)
Serena (Green Zelda, healing fields apparear) *hinted at the trailer*
Sylvando (White Joker, enemy taunts and squid sister AT spawns randomly)
Jade (Green Zero Suit Samus, Kick attacks are heavily used) *hinted at the trailr*
Rab (Mario...no idea about anything esle tbh)
Jasper (Blonde Female Robin with a Killer Blade)
Hendrick (Ganondorf with gogat pokeball assist)

Serena and Jade spirits might have been hinted at the trailer but hey who knows.
Don't be so sure that those songs are confirmed. Joker's initial trailer played one of the most famous persona songs "Life Will Change", but it didn't end up making it into the game. Sometimes they only get songs for the trailer.

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
What does everyone here think of the switch lite? Don't think it's worth it as used switches with games can be found under 300 now used online, but for portability I could see the potential.

Also just give me DQ8s boss,battle and overworld and I'll be fine on the music.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman

It's weird to me that Vivan is the only PM partner that got a spirit.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
What does everyone here think of the switch lite? Don't think it's worth it as used switches with games can be found under 300 now used online, but for portability I could see the potential.

Also just give me DQ8s boss,battle and overworld and I'll be fine on the music.
Too expensive for the very barebones features it offers. Just buy a used Switch, you’ll get more features out of it.

For music, I definitely want Gipsy Dance from DQ4 as well as all you listed.
I’m fine with any battle music they add.

Top Bottom