• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heroes Draw Near. Command? (Hero Social Thread)

Not counting newcomers/echoes, which kind of DQ content would you like in future Smash games?

• Assist throphies (i.e. Slime/Slime Family, Golems, Killer Machines, Party Members)

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Mii costumes (Alena, Torneko, Yangus, Priest)

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Stages to show more DQ worlds

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • New tracks and arrangements

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • A boss (i.e. Dragonlord, Estark, Bjørn)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • More Hero Alts (either male or female)

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • More cameos

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Items (Chimera wing for example)

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
How are you guys coping with the wait? The Dragon Quest III OST from the Super Famicom version is helping immensely ❤
Barely hanging. But..

Working and taking care of my kid during the day. Going out as a family in the afternoon.
Watching Dragon Warrior anime as I do some chores at night. Play a little smash. And right before I go to sleep, play some Dragon Quest.

But it's awful. Really awful. I mean I was already exausted from the uncertainty of Hero being included in the game for months, only for the ultimate (no pun intended) tease of having him, but without a specific date.

But hey, I'm really happy they're in!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I said this once, and I'll say it again; this wait? better than joker's
Might be a bit early to say that; we still don't know the release date for sure, and technically, September 23rd still counts as "summer". (a July release date seems much more likely, though)

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Might be a bit early to say that; we still don't know the release date for sure, and technically, September 23rd still counts as "summer". (a July release date seems much more likely, though)
Y'all got videos of their gameplay meanwhile we had NO idea how Joker will play, no ideas or nothing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Y'all got videos of their gameplay meanwhile we had NO idea how Joker will play, no ideas or nothing.
Also, potentially two months and two thirds, compared to five months.

Also also, let's not tempt fate, lest that the goalpost is moved again if Nintendo doesn't break its pattern of not showing any important news near the end of the month.

Last edited:

LethalHero

Smash Cadet
NNID
LethalHeroX120
The Hero Discord server is losing their minds waiting for Hero to come out. Understandably so as well. I want him to come out to but the wait is a trial on its own.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The Hero Discord server is losing their minds waiting for Hero to come out. Understandably so as well. I want him to come out to but the wait is a trial on its own.
Yes. The main channel has become a ****post channel. Hardly any serious discussion regarding Hero are taking place. Then again, we've covered everything.

Hopefully 10 more days of disappointment at most.

SargentReflux

Smash Rookie
Barely hanging. But..

Working and taking care of my kid during the day. Going out as a family in the afternoon.
Watching Dragon Warrior anime as I do some chores at night. Play a little smash. And right before I go to sleep, play some Dragon Quest.

But it's awful. Really awful. I mean I was already exausted from the uncertainty of Hero being included in the game for months, only for the ultimate (no pun intended) tease of having him, but without a specific date.

Barely hanging. But..

Very nice indeed, has you child played dragon quest as well
If they strive to make all 5 DLC fighters available by February 2020, that will make the release schedule extremely wonky :/

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Very nice indeed, has you child played dragon quest as well
He's not even 2 years old but I hope he grows to like them!

So there's something I've been wondering a lot lately.

That part of the trailer where opponent characters have these electric red aura around them.

What are they? Is there a spirit that causes them? Or are they something new?

I have two theories on what they may be:

1) Just a Hero Classic Mode theme (like some characters have their opponents be dark, then again, this is something still yet to be seen).

2) A brand new mode.
Not sure what it'll be about, but I'm hoping it's some sort of new All-stars mode where you can pick a squad to fight your way through every character and boss. And characters have real stats (unlike Allstar Smash where they take two hits and die).

I notice for example Villager is not covered by the aura when the other characters were, in the scene where bounce was displayed. So it may be a coop mode as well.

Thoughts?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
He's not even 2 years old but I hope he grows to like them!

So there's something I've been wondering a lot lately.

That part of the trailer where opponent characters have these electric red aura around them.

What are they? Is there a spirit that causes them? Or are they something new?

I have two theories on what they may be:

1) Just a Hero Classic Mode theme (like some characters have their opponents be dark, then again, this is something still yet to be seen).

2) A brand new mode.
Not sure what it'll be about, but I'm hoping it's some sort of new All-stars mode where you can pick a squad to fight your way through every character and boss. And characters have real stats (unlike Allstar Smash where they take two hits and die).

I notice for example Villager is not covered by the aura when the other characters were, in the scene where bounce was displayed. So it may be a coop mode as well.

Thoughts?
Those are Dharkon Minions, evil clones of the characters that are being used by Dharkon in Spirit Battles after he starts to take over in WOL.

Last edited:

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
Those are Dharkon Minions, evil clones of the characters that are being used by Dharkon in Spirit Battles after he starts to take over in WOL.
I figured that the classic idea made the most since as Hero obviously needs a classic mode, but a WOL segment with like 10 or so fights like the Monster Hunter part would be pretty cool also. Maybe fight a dragon at the end on the world map like Rathalos was?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
But are there even events in WoL with those exact characters? I know that for the developers it must be really easy to debug to script it to make the trailer. ... but what if it's not scripted, and what if those fights aren't fights from WoL?

D

Deleted member

But are there even events in WoL with those exact characters? I know that for the developers it must be really easy to debug to script it to make the trailer. ... but what if it's not scripted, and what if those fights aren't fights from WoL?
It is highly likely that the shadow fighters in the trailer are a representation of the spirit battles.

Yatanagi

Smash Journeyman
Hey. Does anyone here want to help me build a roster for another Mario/Dragon Quest Fortune Street game on the Switch.
Would be nice if they did Nintendo/Dragon Quest Fortune Street with other Nintendo universes in too.

D

Deleted member

I would love a Zelda/Dragon Quest Fortune Street. Apart from the Tri-Force trio, you coulf have characters like Ghiraim, Mipha, Sidon, Riju, Nabooru, Beedle, Marin, Tingle, Darunia, Zant, Midna, Impa, Groose, Ravio, Agitha and so on. With DQ you would have to include at least one of the Heroes, Slime, Sylvando, Yangus, Jessica, Maribel, Dracky, Jade, Erik, Alena, Torneko, Bianca, Nera, Debora, Carver, Angelo and so on.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Let's hope hero releases in the next week ;)

Not gonna me impatient, they're coming, and that's better than not knowing.
Also, nice to see people talking about playing the games.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I just beat 8. Not gonna spoil anything of course, but wow. Absolutely fantastic game. I knew Dragon Quest would be a series I'd love, but I'm glad I'm finally getting around to it and that it still exceeded my expectations.

Still got PLENTY to do, of course- I'm aware the 3DS game has a VERY meaty post game and "better" endings- but the main quest is done. Consider me a fan.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I just beat 8. Not gonna spoil anything of course, but wow. Absolutely fantastic game. I knew Dragon Quest would be a series I'd love, but I'm glad I'm finally getting around to it and that it still exceeded my expectations.

Still got PLENTY to do, of course- I'm aware the 3DS game has a VERY meaty post game and "better" endings- but the main quest is done. Consider me a fan.
This for me too. Just wrapped up 8.

I'll most likely pour my money into Dragon quest 11 when that comes out on Switch.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
For those of you who have already beaten DQ8, I have a question.

So I'm at the Dark Citadel, which I think is the final dungeon? But I don't have the sword that Eight has in Smash yet. I was wondering if I missed something.

I found a giant dragon skeleton and thought it may have something to do with it, and after the month long time skip where you're trapped in Purgatory Island and before the fight with Marcello using Rhapthorne's staff, the sand in the mouth receded to reveal a cave. However, I made it to the end and just found an orb I couldn't take with me. Does that have anything to do with it?

If possible, please give me an answer that doesn't reveal too much of the remaining plot, like "yes, you missed something, here'swhat to do" or "no, you didn't miss anything, keep going".

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
For those of you who have already beaten DQ8, I have a question.

So I'm at the Dark Citadel, which I think is the final dungeon? But I don't have the sword that Eight has in Smash yet. I was wondering if I missed something.

I found a giant dragon skeleton and thought it may have something to do with it, and after the month long time skip where you're trapped in Purgatory Island and before the fight with Marcello using Rhapthorne's staff, the sand in the mouth receded to reveal a cave. However, I made it to the end and just found an orb I couldn't take with me. Does that have anything to do with it?

If possible, please give me an answer that doesn't reveal too much of the remaining plot, like "yes, you missed something, here'swhat to do" or "no, you didn't miss anything, keep going".
No you haven't missed anything.

You don't get it until...
Really wanna know?
Post game challenges.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
My one real complaint with DQ8 is that war cry really got on my nerves after a while. Its a fine battle theme don't get me wrong but by the end of the game it was just kind of annoying.

SargentReflux

Smash Rookie
Let's hope hero releases in the next week ;)

Not gonna me impatient, they're coming, and that's better than not knowing.
Also, nice to see people talking about playing the games.
I'm guessing they will reveal hero on the 30th and be available on the 31st, so it doesn't overshadow the release of Fire Emblem :/

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Ok. So I took down a complete list of characters from DQ that have been in the Fortune Street series, along with some requests i’ve Seen here. I’ve trimmed it down a little. But I still need to cut 11 characters. Who do you think I can get rid of?
  1. Slime
  2. Bunny Girl
  3. Goodeybag
  4. Dracky
  5. Dragonlord (Dragon Quest)
  6. Prince of Midenhall (Dragon Quest II)
  7. Prince of Cannock (Dragon Quest II)
  8. Princessa (Dragon Quest II)
  9. Erdrick (Dragon Quest III)
  10. Robbin’ ‘Ood (Dragon Quest III)
  11. Solo (Dragon Quest IV)
  12. Ragnar McRyan (Dragon Quest IV)
  13. Kiryl (Dragon Quest IV)
  14. Tsarevna Alena (Dragon Quest IV)
  15. Maya Mahabala (Dragon Quest IV)
  16. Meena Mahabala (Dragon Quest IV)
  17. Torneko Taloon (Dragon Quest IV)
  18. Platypunk (Dragon Quest IV)
  19. Madason (Dragon Quest V)
  20. Bianca Whittaker (Dragon Quest V)
  21. Nera Briscoletti (Dragon Quest V)
  22. Debora Briscoletti (Dragon Quest V)
  23. Rek (Dragon Quest VI)
  24. Carver (Dragon Quest VI)
  25. Young Terry (Dragon Quest Monsters)
  26. Kiefer (Dragon Quest VII)
  27. Maribel Mayde (Dragon Quest VII)
  28. Eight (Dragon Quest VIII)
  29. Jessica Albert (Dragon Quest VIII)
  30. Yangus (Dragon Quest VIII)
  31. Angelo (Dragon Quest VIII)
  32. Marcello (Dragon Quest VIII)
  33. Trods (Dragon Quest VIII)
  34. Stella (Dragon Quest IX)
  35. Patty (Dragon Quest IX)
  36. Luminary (Dragon Quest XI)
  37. Sylvando (Dragon Quest XI)
  38. Jade (Dragon Quest XI)

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm guessing they will reveal hero on the 30th and be available on the 31st, so it doesn't overshadow the release of Fire Emblem :/
That would be at the very end of the month. I mean, It'd be fine, but there's some chances for this coming week too ;)

A lot are looking at the maintenance coming very soon, anyway. They didn't release joker at the very end of his month, so i do think they dont necessarily wait till the very end.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Okay. So Fortune Street has a function where you can set the game to “out to lunch” mode. And the computer plays the game for you. Not only did I just use this function to clear a whole board in a half-hour, but it also counted my win! I’ll have everything unlocked for multiplayer in no time flat!

Yes. I know this is cheating. But it’s a digital board game. It’s just not fun to play by yourself. Yet that’s what you have to do to unlock characters.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
No you haven't missed anything.

You don't get it until...
Really wanna know?
Post game challenges.
Alright, thank you!

Unfortunate, but I suppose it makes Dragon Quest VIII different from the rest of the series so *shrugs*

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Speaking of, I just finished post game, and...

WOW I did not see that coming. Hero's immunity to curses, Dragon Slash being one of the first moves he learns, munchie's cheese fixation... SO MANY really clever, subtle hints about Eight/Hero's true origins. Man I love this game, haha.

Well, tomorrow I'll do the trails to get the Sword and Shield, and when I have those and view the ending with the ring, I think I'm set for awhile.

D

Deleted member

The DQXI:S Switch thumbnail art is really good.
That DOES look really nice! Man....I already beat pretty much everything on the PS4. I'm going to have to wait to see just how much is added to see if this will be worth it. I really enjoyed it; it was a great game; but if not enough is added, then it's just not worth the $60 for me to pickup (especially since I still have my PS4 copy lol).

Honestly, what I'd really like is another weapon path for the Luminary. I had always gone Sword & Shield in the past, did Heavy Sword this time, and it was the most dominant thing that I'm not sure I'd want to try another method if I played through it again.

Oh, for those who beat it...
Did anyone else dislike how they reversed things with that post story? I love how much that added to the game; it was like playing through a whole other game again, but I actually liked the death at the end of the 'main' story and how the world was saved, but needed to recover. It had way more impact knowing that sacrifices were made and the land was severely damaged, but in the end, Good Triumphed. I wasn't a huge fan of the post story going and erasing all of that just so people could have a 'happy ending'. Props to the 'final boss' being a giant fusion between Chiaotzu and Cell from DBZ though lol; that design was hilarious.

D

Deleted member

I think that a Dragonlord Mii costume could be pretty likely.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Oh, for those who beat it...
Did anyone else dislike how they reversed things with that post story? I love how much that added to the game; it was like playing through a whole other game again, but I actually liked the death at the end of the 'main' story and how the world was saved, but needed to recover. It had way more impact knowing that sacrifices were made and the land was severely damaged, but in the end, Good Triumphed. I wasn't a huge fan of the post story going and erasing all of that just so people could have a 'happy ending'. Props to the 'final boss' being a giant fusion between Chiaotzu and Cell from DBZ though lol; that design was hilarious.
I think that's one of my favorite things about the post game; yeah, the original ending is probably more impactful, but since it's a post game, you can choose not to do it if you're satisfied with the original ending (and that isn't difficult). Meanwhile, if you really want to make things right, you have the option to do that in this game.

D

Deleted member

I think that's one of my favorite things about the post game; yeah, the original ending is probably more impactful, but since it's a post game, you can choose not to do it if you're satisfied with the original ending (and that isn't difficult). Meanwhile, if you really want to make things right, you have the option to do that in this game.
I pretty decided to just consider the post-game "non-canon" or a 'what-if Luminary got the chance to go back in time' scenario. Without knowing beforehand what the Post-story entailed, I had no way to know to simply 'not do it'. I do like that it added a lot though. Not only to the story, but to a lot of other characters' backstories as well. I mean, you get like no info on Erik at all until the backstory. It had a bunch of other side-quests that fleshed things out as well; so it wasn't all bad.

Top Bottom