• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HERB 2 Advice

Blade1844

Smash Apprentice
So.... HERB 2 will be one of my first tournaments and a decent number of key players are coming. Instead of listing them, Listed HERE.

I will be playing ZSS of course and if possible, I'd like to hear some advice from you all here on the ZSS boards.

Stuff on things not to do, what to watch out for, who to watch out for...

Thanks in advance guys!

sasook

Smash Champion
I can't give advice, since I've never been to a tourney, but I feel like this could have gone in the Q&A thread.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Dr. PP's a bit of a creeper. Don't tell him your real name or he'll stalk you. That is, if you're pretty like me.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Phoot and norad will be there, definitely ask them for advice and critique while you're there, because that will help you more than anything we say here.

But yeah before the /thread kill, here's some advice:

Don't expect too much. Seriously, everyone gets ***** their first tournie. Your goal is to get better, so make yourself a concrete goal and do your best to achieve it. For example, my goal for Genesis is to make it out of pools, and from there win a bracket set.

It helps to know about the scene in your area. Find out what characters the good players are playing, and what characters are popular in your scene. Learn those matchups.

Decide if/how you will counterpick. Will you switch characters in certain disadvantaged matchups? IMO, if it's one of your first tournies I'd go all ZSS for the experience, atleast the first game of the set.

Also, contemplate stage counterpicks, against what characters, and what strategy you would use there to max out your advantage.

Do as many friendlies as you can. People aren't going to ask if you want to play, but make it known that you're waiting for a friendly. Take advantage of these, because this is what makes your money really worth it when you're getting beat bad your first few times.

Lastly, ask people what you can improve on. I played Havok (very good Socal MK and Marth player) at my last tournament in both pools and friendlies, and he has some helpful suggestions that I feel have made me a better player, and helped me understand an MK's thought process when he's playing me. This is how you get better.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Phoot and norad will be there, definitely ask them for advice and critique while you're there, because that will help you more than anything we say here.
Who said I'd be there?

I kept telling people, "If you make it too late, I won't be able to go because I'll be on the other side of the world." But they made it too late. Sadly, I will not be at HERB 2.

I'll probably be at tourneys again starting in August, though.

noradseven

Smash Lord
I will try to be there, also dr. peepee is a p. cool guy he is a bit weird though. Also good luck you will get ***** at your first tourney, :D. It will be my third that wasn't hosted by me or my friends, or was a $0 entry fee.

Im looking forward to talking **** about smash and playing blazblu like a **** when the tourney is over/I get out.

But if you want to play me hit me up, I will be the loud guy with glasses a beard, and probably talking alot of ****.

Plus I am p. good at teaching ppl, the game I helped bring up alot of scrubs to tourney level.

Also check near the random games section that there is at every tourny I often hang out there talking about "insert random fighter".

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
MacDonalds is where I go to eat MacDonalds. My favorite MacDonalds is the MacDonalds in Raleigh, because that's the MacDonalds where Darick works at MacDonalds. Who else likes MacDonalds?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I like McDonalds, mainly because at McDonalds, you can buy the McDonalds food that McDonalds sells. In fact, McDonalds has been known to sell McDonalds food outside of McDonalds restaurants, because they are McDonalds and they hire McDonalds employees to sell their McDonalds food elsewhere.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I've only ever found MacDonalds food in MacDonalds restaurants, stongers, but eating MacDonalds food outside of MacDonalds sounds awesome. If you ever find MacDonalds food not at MacDonalds, stongers, you have to tell me so I can eat at MacDonalds without being at MacDonalds.

Blade1844

Smash Apprentice

But yeah before the /thread kill, here's some advice:

Don't expect too much. Seriously, everyone gets ***** their first tournie. Your goal is to get better, so make yourself a concrete goal and do your best to achieve it. For example, my goal for Genesis is to make it out of pools, and from there win a bracket set.

It helps to know about the scene in your area. Find out what characters the good players are playing, and what characters are popular in your scene. Learn those matchups.

Decide if/how you will counterpick. Will you switch characters in certain disadvantaged matchups? IMO, if it's one of your first tournies I'd go all ZSS for the experience, atleast the first game of the set.

Also, contemplate stage counterpicks, against what characters, and what strategy you would use there to max out your advantage.

Do as many friendlies as you can. People aren't going to ask if you want to play, but make it known that you're waiting for a friendly. Take advantage of these, because this is what makes your money really worth it when you're getting beat bad your first few times.

Lastly, ask people what you can improve on. I played Havok (very good Socal MK and Marth player) at my last tournament in both pools and friendlies, and he has some helpful suggestions that I feel have made me a better player, and helped me understand an MK's thought process when he's playing me. This is how you get better.
Thank you Nefarious, I appreciate the help and not "Instant Lock this thread attitude."

I will try to do much of what you say and I surely don't have crazy goals like winning or anything. My goal is to get out of pools and play as many matches against new people as possible.

Noradseven said:
I will try to be there, also dr. peepee is a p. cool guy he is a bit weird though. Also good luck you will get ***** at your first tourney, :D. It will be my third that wasn't hosted by me or my friends, or was a $0 entry fee.

Im looking forward to talking **** about smash and playing blazblu like a **** when the tourney is over/I get out.

But if you want to play me hit me up, I will be the loud guy with glasses a beard, and probably talking alot of ****.

Plus I am p. good at teaching ppl, the game I helped bring up alot of scrubs to tourney level.

Also check near the random games section that there is at every tourny I often hang out there talking about "insert random fighter".
If your there man, I'll find you. I'd love to see what you got and anything I can learn from your or anyone else will be a major help.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
There might not be pools at HERB. There weren't last time, at least.

Really, you should just play a lot of friendlies with everyone. You'll get a lot of experience that way, and at the very least, it'll help you get to know the NC Smash community.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
best rule about tournies:

DO NOT TAKE CRAP FROM PEOPLE ABOUT FRIENDLIES

surslee, don't be embarrassed to just butt in to people and say "I got next".
if they say it's a set, reply kindly, "there are no sets in friendlies, unless you're money matching... I got next..."

don't be afraid of being a **** about it, you need the experience, and unless you are a tourney prodigy and you don't let your nerves get to you, you probably will only get 2-3 sets in.

plus use friendlies to experiment. I can't say this enough, try weird tactics, different methods of recovery or punishment or whatever. Friendlies don't matter, so bust out your experimental stuff.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
if they say it's a set, reply kindly, "there are no sets in friendlies, unless you're money matching... I got next..."

if someone did that to me, i would never let them play while i was there. thats just ****ing rude

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Blade, where do you live? I'm hosting a tourney in NC this weekend, if you live close you should come to that and...acclimate yourself to the tourney scene.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
if someone did that to me, i would never let them play while i was there. thats just ****ing rude
lol, playing friendly sets during a tournament is just ****ing rude. Plus, you don't have control of the TV, it's not your choice to let them play. \:

stingers

Smash Obsessed
nc tournaments don't care about friendlies. its why our tournies run to 5 am. we don't care though. :x

if someone says something as conceited as "Hey, I don't care what you two guys are doing, I'm getting the next match whether you like it or not.", I would go out of my way to make sure everybody else in the building gets to play on that TV before that guy. It's called respect.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
hehe, I guess it's just a different attitude on west coast. Letting other people onto a TV is respectful, not hogging that **** for yourself. *shrugs* Socal is full of *******s though, so you have to be pushy. lol.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i mean, sure, we let people on. but if someone is doing a set, you let them finish the set. loser gets up, rotation continues

Blade1844

Smash Apprentice
Well....

Me, East, and Sugarsheik33 were all going to go with a guy named Pie (powah of pie) but he is in turkey right now.

Unfortunately Me and East are working saturday so no dice...

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Well....

Me, East, and Sugarsheik33 were all going to go with a guy named Pie (powah of pie) but he is in turkey right now.

Unfortunately Me and East are working saturday so no dice...
llaaaaaame

I's gots legits johns for HERB. None of this "I's gots works" nonsense.

noradseven

Smash Lord
nc tournaments don't care about friendlies. its why our tournies run to 5 am. we don't care though. :x

if someone says something as conceited as "Hey, I don't care what you two guys are doing, I'm getting the next match whether you like it or not.", I would go out of my way to make sure everybody else in the building gets to play on that TV before that guy. It's called respect.
You arn't kidding I end up having to go wtf guys its 3 hours into the tourney and we arn't past the second round and over 1/2 the tvs are playing casuals, jesus christ I want be done by 2.

Isn't the tourney on a saturday or something. If im wrong and its not on a weekend yeah me too, I got school + work every day.

Blade1844

Smash Apprentice
NO!!!!!!!!!!

Thats a shame, I was seriously looking forward to playing with you norad... Maybe Next Time

noradseven

Smash Lord
NO!!!!!!!!!!

Thats a shame, I was seriously looking forward to playing with you norad... Maybe Next Time
Sorry man :(, too many ppl weren't showing and i had like no ride back(I don't know I kinda just johned out blame snakeee for not showing :p), where do you live, I live in Raleigh and go to some of the nearby ones and me and my friends will host tournies this year...if you live out in ashville though say hi to trey lol.

Top Bottom