• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with "This" Situtation Thread |Discuss Certain Problems Here

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
So I made this thread so if people are having problem when facing a certain character or when you're put in this position by "X" character.

Make request, and Discuss.

I'll just start us off. Pikachu's CGing problem...when he does his Usmash I try and DI it, but everytime I try to DI I get Thunder'd T.T

Link to the old thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=216002

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Nope. Ask SCOTU about the specifics, but you cannot tech a surface directly opposite your trajectory.

Duo55

Smash Ace
1st advice: don't play fox against pikachu

If you ignore 1st advice

2nd advice: Don't get grabbed, seriously, it sounds like I'm being a troll but in all honesty its the truth. In this match up I just intentionally pressure its approach with laser (yes, you can out camp pika easily) bait grabs then punish with drill utilt at mid %, utilt alone at mid %, or the best tactic is to grab pikachu back... alot... then tag with lasers while they try to get to the ground from your d throw. Basically, you want to try and get through the first stock with out getting grabbed, and you want to make your opponent feel as though any grab they try to preform will be read and punished (as it should be because thats all pikas gonna do for the first half of the battle, or the whole battle if you don't answer it right). Once this sets into your opponents brain the match up is easy, it sometimes mind games them so bad that even if they land a grab, they'll throw you in the wrong direction sometimes.

If you ignored the first two steps

3rd advice: Die a helpless death unless you somehow DI out.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
No, you're still ******** and your opinion is still more or less worthless.

Asce

Smash Apprentice
I have a real question...how do I approach Diddy? I see that our matchup for him hasnt been finished, and Im having a hard time getting inside with him. What stages work best for/ against him?

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I have a real question...how do I approach Diddy? I see that our matchup for him hasnt been finished, and Im having a hard time getting inside with him. What stages work best for/ against him?
Coming from a Diddy main, you either

1) Don't approach and shoot lasers, more likely than not he'll approach you.
2) Approach him when he's trying to pull out a banana or doesn't have the bananas situated how he wants (a lot of mediocre and even good Diddy mains will fall for the bait of trying to get bananas when it isn't safe, so you can try to punish as he does this).

I don't really suggest trying to approach if he has one or two bananas situated well, because a lot of your approaches can be punished by out of shield glide toss. Of course mix-ups work and Diddy won't be able to punish every option (it's more of knowing your opponent and how they play so you can choose the right approach) but I'd just recommend lasers and making him approach you when he has bananas.

IMO every stage kinda works for him except Brinstar which is gimmicky at best, so CP that? Other potential CPs for you are Frigate (second transformation stage layout is awkward for us), and Lylat and PS1 (Diddy isn't bad on either but they help a bit with this match-up). I could be wrong on all of this though; I know some Diddys that love Brinstar and Lylat but hate RC and Frigate and things like that.

(also, thread title says certian)

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
either dont approach and lazer camp

approach with a shield grab (love this)

approach with nair into JJC (also great option)

or approach with RAR bair( i never do this, good if you wanna mix it up)

lazers into ftilt or JCC also work. the thing with diddy is that you can more or less take him apart aslong as he cant get his nanas out (which he will). so also learn how to play with nanas, like how to grab them off platforms, off the ground, in the air. work with nana combo's aswell. remember to still use lazers, you may feel pressured into not using them but dont give in, short hope lazer is your friend.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
The banana pull animation is more punishable than you think, and worse Diddys have obvious habits of pulling bananas. For example, it's a common bad habit for Diddys to start a match with a double jump banana pulls, in which case you can just dash and rising F-air/jump and U-air/z-catch the banana, run away, and laser. There's also a bad habit of a Diddy running to get a banana a short distance behind or in front of him, particularly if it's your active banana and not his. Same thing with platforms. If you can find these bad habits you can do things like space a banana in front of you, wait for him to DA to pick it up, shield and punish accordingly.

Granted, better players won't do this nearly as often, but in general you should be able to find some banana habits of the Diddy you're playing. Reading well helps in this match-up a lot—I can't think of many things you can do that will set in stone work simply because of the amount of viable options in this match-up for both characters.

For example: shield grab approach? I can't think of that working well for Fox, especially considering that Diddy's safest offensive option when he sees Fox running towards him is either shielding with a banana or doing a backwards glide-toss, in either case you wouldn't be able to shield-grab to punish anything. The other two seem to work better (especially RAR B-air, because a well-spaced B-air is one of the few moves you have that we can't punish on shield), but again it's about who you're facing and what they tend to do.

If you get a banana (or both), I personally don't recommend trying to throw them back and start your own banana combos because Diddy can get them back easily. I think that your best bet is running back and laser camping. You can either throw the banana off-stage and try to pressure Diddy into pulling another banana (which you can punish if he does predictably), or keep it with you and pressure him into approaching.

Asce

Smash Apprentice
Thank you for all of the input everyone! Hmm OK so what you're saying is that this match up on fox's side depends heavily on how well you are able to read Diddy and the main damage should be coming from the banana pull lag correct?

Furthermore, what would you all suggest as the best type of stage positioning for fox throughout the match? Watching recent Diddy videos, I see that people who are experienced in the MU usually stay pretty close to the edge. Is this a good position for Fox to be in himself? Or would he be better off just counter-picking an odd stage with platforms and camping?

Thank you for all of your help. *Runs to find Diddy Frame Data*

Top Bottom