• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Vs Marth please

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman
im new to melee scene been playing since April 2012 and i have big issue marth's

marth vs falco ,
i hate that match-up i played a marth named MT for a while at apex .....he power shield ledge hop lasers and power shields tipper fsmash with marth really good -__- ..and of course i beat him 1 time barely and pp 2-0's him and 2 stocks him both times =/

anyone mind helping me with this match up?

Squirt

Smash Apprentice
im new to melee scene been playing since April 2012 and i have big issue marth's

marth vs falco ,
i hate that match-up i played a marth named MT for a while at apex .....he power shield ledge hop lasers and power shields tipper fsmash with marth really good -__- ..and of course i beat him 1 time barely and pp 2-0's him and 2 stocks him both times =/

anyone mind helping me with this match up?
I would say if the marth ps's you a lot you need to make him work for it. Never let him actually know if you are approaching him or not. To do this mix up dding and lasering as much as possible. Run in while shling but don't actually commit to the approach. This way he will have to ps lasers without knowing if you are actually coming in. If he ps's a laser to tipper fsmash, then you are being too obvious in your approach.

When you start doing this you will be able to bait his ps -> fsmash or grab or whatever for a little while. Then the marth will catch on and stop attacking right after the ps. Here is where you need to learn. Find out his response. Does he ps to roll, or ps to run away or ps to something else?

Whenever you see a pattern, find out the variables and change up the equation to manipulate the outcomes to those that you control or ones that at least your opponent doesn't control. Look for responses and punish.

Something else that would take a bit more commitment. Having applied what I said previously, learn how to space your lasers lower so when he powershields them you can hop over them and approach that way. Obviously if he going to ps you could shl -> jump over the laser -> grab. You could also go into jump over laser -> dair -> shinegrab etc. At this point it is all up to the positioning and spacing.

Also there are many other ways of getting on the stage besides fhdl.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
MT is pretty good from what I saw, I don't think you should be worried about having trouble with him if you've only played since April. Also it's easier to help you if you know where exactly in the matchup you're having problems

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
From what I've seen Mango holds well in this matchup. Lasers also shut him down pretty good. Then again, I'm a Samus main...

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman
MT is pretty good from what I saw, I don't think you should be worried about having trouble with him if you've only played since April. Also it's easier to help you if you know where exactly in the matchup you're having problems

like getting in on marth is hard for me like ..once i get a solid hit .. combos etc im good and i know how to edge guard marth but its the campy wait style ..counter attack marth i hate -__- grabbing and never letting go lol

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
like getting in on marth is hard for me like ..once i get a solid hit .. combos etc im good and i know how to edge guard marth but its the campy wait style ..counter attack marth i hate -__- grabbing and never letting go lol
Yeah I feel you. Marth is fun to combo but can be kinda tricky to catch.

I'd say the most common ways to get ****ed vs Marth are to shoot a badly spaced laser or an obvious one, because marths like catching that with dash attack, and also to over extend with an aerial and get grabbed.

I'm gonna somehow try to explain this as simple as possible: Marth is approximately 8 million times easier to 0wn when he's in the act of trying to punish you rather than when he is waiting for you to commit so he can attack you. Aka, learn to bait and punish his dumb counter-attacking habits like Dash attacking you, coming down at you with fair from platforms, and dash dance grabbing you. This is a really simple concept, but it's easy to lose track of the fact that marth is limited on what he can try to do to counter attack because of how effective these things are if you **** up.

This is when you have stage control though. When you don't, uhhh, I don't even want to get into it actually. And I think this is enough for now lol

As far as MT is concerned:

his marth is odd compared to many others I've played. I MMed him 3 times at apex, won a close one, lost a close one and 3-0'd him in the last one. He is actually reallllllly good at power shielding (and is a solid marth player with good punishes), and focuses getting a lot of his openings from power shield tricks (he also has other cool tricks I don't see other marths do much). Usually you don't have to worry about powershielding because most marths can't do it super super consistently but obviously he could. So 3-0ing him merely came from acknowledging it as a legitimate option in situations where Marths usually would do something else and playing around it. I have yet to see a Marth that consistently powershields and only does it at the most opportune times instead of relying heavily on it, but when I do, I might **** myself LOL

Edit: Basically what I'm trying to say is MT looks like Darkatma and diakonos has a funny accent

JKJ

Smash Ace
This has nothing to do with this thread, but I played a Ganon player named Randall from LI, and he powershielded EVERYTHING. I don't mean like. lasers and sh**. I mean like EVERY AERIAL I THREW AT HIM WAS POWERSHIELDED INTO AN IMMEDIATE PUNISH
Also, Ganon's Dthrow is a 0-death chaingrab on Falco (0%-250%, F**KING SHENANIGANS) and he is mad good at abusing it, as he was able to get an immediate grab whenever he powershielded, and did I mention that he POWERSHIELDED EVERYTHING
SH*T WAS CRAZY
anyways
I hate falco vs marth and suck at it. Nuff said

Top Bottom