• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help/rate my Samus

stnapknah

Smash Journeyman
I would put this in the video thread, but I feel I'll get more feedback making a new thread. With that said, I am considering entering my Samus for a low tier tourney this weekend. Before I do, I'd like to know what you guys think of my Samus. The only character I really play is Wario, but Samus is cool enough that she gets the exclusive privilege of being my secondary :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTYKgOUalds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adaIlebuJaw

High quality is orgasmic, for your viewing pleasures lol

Anyway, these were wi-fi matches but I live 1 hour away from the guy, so other than a couple lag spikes, there was practically no lag whatsoever. I uploaded the close matches, but i got brutally ***** on BF.

Also, I'd like your guys opinions on the samus-luigi match-up as well as your thoughts on samus vs low tiers and if there is anyone I should watch out for (your match-up thread is not there yet).

Thanks in advance.

I'll upload 1 or 2 more matches by tomorrow.

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
You play like a Wario, lol.

Which isn't to say double jumping isn't good with Samus... just switch it up a bit and work on missile canceling. Especially your super missile canceling.

Otherwise... rather interesting style... boring match though =/.

stnapknah

Smash Journeyman
lol...

thanks, i am going to practice all night till i get missle canceling down.

i guess this means those vids aren't that great then, so i'll just upload new ones by tomorrow.

Throwback

Smash Lord
Ok sorry for double post but no-one else has replied, so...

You seem to use d-smash a lot - I would stay away from that move unless you know it's going to hit or you are waiting for a roll. It's extremely punishable.

Usmash you also use a lot but it seems to work ok for you so whatever.

My first comment is the use of retreating SH zairs when your opponent approaches (which they WILL do). It seems to work ok at first but ulitmately samus players discover it's a dead-end tactic. close Zair only does 4% and you can't fast-fall with it once you've used it. Zair should be used to follow up moves, hit from range and is an amazing approach tool - but it's not a great defensive option. When your opponent is close, switch to your standard aerials.

Against characters with poor range (like weegee), don't be afraid to stand your ground. You can 'box' effectively at ftilt range, punish rolls with upB, and if he wants to SHAir-dodge into close quarters, upB will cover that as well. Samus can set up a very effective wall against short-range characters.

Next thing, go easy on the bombs. They are best used when the opponent is trying to approach, not when he's right next to you. Even then, you could probably launch a counter-attack instead of using downB. Save them for a mix-up to throw your opponent off his game, and use them frequently when you're trying to get to the ground.

I don't know if I saw you using air-dodge -> zair, but if you don't use it you absolutely have to learn it. It's utility is higher than almost any other move I can think of for any character. Use it to counter-attack when you are descending, use it to jump backwards over your opponent, and use it to approach through missiles. Just use it!

Hope that helps.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
You need to lay off the projectiles. Coming from me, that's sad. Throw in more fast-falled u-air and use melee attacks more often.

stnapknah

Smash Journeyman
thanks a lot for the feedback, it really helped.

Serris, you say I need to lay off the projectiles... I'm not really that confident in my melee game, so can anyone offer some tips in close combat with samus? like moves/things to use and not use (and when).

Rhyme

Smash Lord
can anyone offer some tips in close combat with samus? like moves/things to use and not use (and when).
If you ever feel that good players are being unfriendly or unhelpful, it's probably because you've asked them a question like this one. Whether intentionally or not, you should never ask for such open-ended advice. The more specific your question is, the more helpful your answer is likely to be.

If what you really want is the book on boxing with Samus then you're far better off studying other people's matches. Look to see when they use certain attacks. Stop and think to yourself what other options the opponent had at that moment and why that attack hit or missed. Studying as many matches as you can, and playing as many practice matches as you can, would be the way to go here.

Top Bottom