• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help! My play is too slow

ManZle

Smash Rookie
I watched a lot of marth vids, e.g. kaze no kizzu 3
and I also read a huge guide and did exactly what this guide told me.
but my game is way too slow in comparison to the speed I saw in the vids (although I'm a beginner)!!

I don't get out how to speed up my game !
just as an example, I saw in the video how marth jumped left, right, left, right...and hit the oppenent with his sword all the time, without any break in between!
how can I do this?

what do I need to learn to speed up my play???
and is there maybe some kind of a video guide, with an overlay or something like that, which explains what the player is doing in the video at the moment?

thx in advance

ManZle

Zgetto

Smash Ace
he is faster cause he is using advanced techniques.

here is a video quide thats shows the advanced techniques:

PART1

PART2

PART3

most important techniques why hes faster are : short hop , fastfall and l-canceling.(shffl)

if you really wanna be as fast as him i advice to watch the 3 vids and practise alot =)

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
I watched a lot of marth vids, e.g. kaze no kizzu 3
and I also read a huge guide and did exactly what this guide told me.
but my game is way too slow in comparison to the speed I saw in the vids (although I'm a beginner)!!

I don't get out how to speed up my game !
just as an example, I saw in the video how marth jumped left, right, left, right...and hit the oppenent with his sword all the time, without any break in between!
how can I do this?

what do I need to learn to speed up my play???
and is there maybe some kind of a video guide, with an overlay or something like that, which explains what the player is doing in the video at the moment?

thx in advance

ManZle
Common issue, but don't fear! For I am here!
...Maybe its not that serious, but I'll help out. :p

Heres the nougat, caramel center to quickening a Marth;
1) Fast fall nearly every jump/aerial, due to his slowing jump's peak.
2) Learn to properly wavedash and work your way up to shffling.
3) Short hops with Marth are a must. Master them if you haven't.
4) Aerial combos. Spikes.
5) Tippers and accurate sword slapping.

As for video help..I know the PERFECT video. Composed by Wak I believe, with the aid of AlphaZealot's brillance and others.
Advanced: How To Play
This is a larger screen size and its the full version. All 3 parts in one juicy video.
Hope that helps. :chuckle:

ManZle

Smash Rookie
I'm glad seeing that this is such a great community, with whole bunch of friendly people who try to help a beginner :) THX to all

Zgetto already posted the links to AlphaZealots video tutorial above, I guess?! or do you mean another tutorial?

PS: whats spacing again?? any explanation?

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
I'm glad seeing that this is such a great community, with whole bunch of friendly people who try to help a beginner :) THX to all

Zgetto already posted the links to AlphaZealots video tutorial above, I guess?! or do you mean another tutorial?

PS: whats spacing again?? any explanation?
Glad to be of assistance to a player in need.

It's the same exact video, just the one I posted is sized bigger so you can see the words, and all 3 parts are in one window. Also, google video loads a bit faster since YouTube is so crowded.

Spacing is the amount of space you keep between you and your opponent.

For example, "Your spacing isn't that good. Move a bit back so his fsmash can't hit you"

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Let me give you a more detailed explanation of marth's spacing.

With Marth, your going to want to always make sure you hit with the tip of his sword. why? a few reasons.

1.) Marth's sword outranges just about every other character's attack in the game. If you hit with the tip of his sword, you can hit them, but they can't hit you. And, if you come close to hitting with the tip but just fall short and you miss, your too far away for them to punish your lag, that is if you L cancel correctly.

2.) Marth deals SO much more damage with the tip of his sword. Against characters like Sheik and Fox, you always want to maximize your opportunities, and have as little errors as possible. Causing the maximum amount of damage with each attack is essential because if you miss those opportunities, at the end of a match when you both have 1 stock left, fox can easily shine you, and 1 grab from sheik and its over.

3.) Hitting with the tip of marth's sword, for the most part, sets him up for combos, which is an important, not necessarily essential, but important part of marth's game. Again, missing a combo because you didn't hit with the tip is dissapointing. But, a lot of Marth's combos depend on what part of the sword you hit, not always the tip. You don't want them to fly out of range of your comboing.

4.) If you hit with the tip of his sword, your just that much cooler.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
"4.) If you hit with the tip of his sword, your just that much cooler."

Thats because whatever you tipped with your f-smash, just exploded before turning into a living bullet lol.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
those guys can keep hitting their oppenents because of SHFFLing. learn to do that, along with the spacing and u will get much better. where do u lvie at? some places have bi-weeklies and stuff and tons of pros in the area (Maryland/Virgina, New York, SoCal)

edit: o yea, and learn chain-grabbing and the Ken combo while ur at it.

ManZle

Smash Rookie
No I'm from germany...and here are definatly no PGs

I try to learn SHFFLing atm, but I have to admit L-canceling is quite hard at the beginning. As well as Wavedashing :(

lot of practice, practice, practice to do

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
ok a small status report:
I think I mastered SHFFLing quite well, as well as Wavedashing with Luigi...but I didn't even made one single wavedash with marth :(
Remember, each person has a certain ryhthm to follow when wavedashing. As for Marth, you have to be fairly quick since his jump initiates quicker than Luigi's.

lolshined

Smash Rookie
good. buuuuut, i think you should mostly practice wdashing with marth if thats the character your going to play.

For me, wavedashing is all muscle memory, and most of the characters have different times where you need to press y/x + r/l.

like I use to play link. and if you've tryed wdashing with link, its WAYYY different than doing it with marth. it just takes some time to get use to, thats all

keep up the good work :]

Ijuka

Smash Ace
Germany has many smash players, go to their thread in the regional discussion and see if there are people living close to you and want to play.

Top Bottom