• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help my Pikachu!

soju

SD God
I noticed you liked to approach with the Dair alot which is fine and all but it has major start up lag where you got punished for so try switching it off with some Nairs, oh and tilts ftw so use a lil more of those

but I'm still pretty much a novice with pika so it would be better to wait for the pros to get here XD

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
SHFFL better
keep in mind you have a decent amount of options on the edge.
rarly dash attack
JC grab press X and Z at the same time when running grab this does 2 things more range and less lag
pikachu's grab range is like as big as his paws
wd more
approach less
react faster, if you fair you need to hit them the soonest frame you can, same for recovery in some places like you side-Bed and waited and died.

also your a bit predictable with your recovery, pikachu's recovery is good enough to get around nearly everything.

Rooktionary

Smash Journeyman
watching the video has helped too.. i also noticed i used the dair to approach instead of the nair. i think the dash attacks were mistakes, cause i know not to use them that often.. i forget to jc my grabs sometimes cause im a noob. but thanks for the good advice. ill keep workin at it.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Use more uair when they're behind you on the ground, in fact, use more uair in general and learn what parts of the attack make your opponent go where. Also figure out your upb so that you don't get hit every time you come back from offstage. If possible always try to ledgegrab. Most everything else just feels like you don't know what all your options are yet.

Rooktionary

Smash Journeyman
it's true that i dont really know my options. like i said, i just started maining pikachu, and im playing with people a lot better than me (like the third best player in georgia, and the guy in the vid). i know i should sweet spot the ledge with pikas up-b more, but i cant do it well enough yet. i guess thatll come with experience and practice.

Smurfy EXE

Smash Apprentice
I blame the new Pikas cause of Axe's new arrival as a Pikachu Smash Legend! :D

Rooktionary

Smash Journeyman
lol.. thats not why i decided to main pikachu. like i said before, ive started smashing with some really good players and i never really had a main before. I played as shiek but she's really boring so i tried out a bunch of characters and had the most fun playing with pikachu. i mean, yeah, obviously axe is a ******, but hes not the reason i chose pikachu.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Also, any time that peach approaches you in the air, use forward tilt. It is very hard for a peach to aerial your forward tilt. It's possible, but it requires really good spacing and timing that they won't learn after one match.

tdk_Samurai

Smash Ace
okay, after watching, I have a few things to say.

Its good that you gave us a vid of someone destroying you, so many people are embarassed, and only show vids of them winning, or losing by a tiny. But the vids of you getting pummled are the ones where its easiest for people to see your flaws, so kudos.

I noticed that not only do you like to approach with dair alot, if your above someone and you wanna get on the ground you'll try to dair through everything. Thats normal for a beginner, and I find myself doing it too much. But the truth is, there are many things that can out space and out prioritize pikas dair, mainly outspace though. So basically try and get around rather than dairing through everything, I'm not really sure what is the best way to get down, but I find when pikas dair alot they get punished somehow. Also the dair as I see it is more of a combo finisher rather than an approach. I will use dair as an approach if I feel all I need to do is get them off the stage or something. But if you watch axe and other mad cute pikas, you'll find they approach with nair. This gives you two options, generally if you hit a nair, alot of times you can combo into another move, usually another nair. Or if you hit their shield and they attempt a shield grab, you can shuffle that nair, and rising up air will usually catch them, and its rare that pikas get punished for a rising u air. And that u air will combo into nair/bair/dair/wtf you want to. Even on peach.

You need to work on you control. Just spend some time practicing each day on your tech skill, get your wavelands and shuffles down really solid. I saw some solid decisions, but because of lack of control over your character, you would **** up spacing, or just overall look sketchy, and sometimes get punished for what was not a bad idea. Control over your character has alot to do with how successfull you are.

You need to control your up b as well. Pika has one of the best recoveries in the game, top 5 IMO. The reason for this is cause up b is so amazing. You need to work on just being able to go where you want, and then work on angles to sweet spot from. Sweet spotting is really good as pika, pika can get punished alot if he doesn't do that. Also, A really good angle for pika is diagonally up and in, then in, it gets you to the stage from the farthest point out, more so than waiting till your low and going up then up and in, but thats good too, don't get me wrong. But yea, basically learn to control your up b really good.

get your jump cancles down, I saw a couple missed grabs that would have been less punishable if you JCed it. A jump cancle is hitting up right before you hit z just incase you didn't know. When you miss a grab like this, there is less time your character is uncontrollable.

Upairs. learn it, love it, use it. especially as pointed out earlier, if someone is behind you, just hit up and the control stick and you'll jump, then hit a, its so good.

Also, when using side b, smash the control stick as you b if you aren't already, it gets you farther, but usually a side b isn't nescesary, I know, when your new you love it, but you'll grow out of it, and only use in when nescesarey, it might take some time though, cause I still use it when unnescesarey, I know it, but I love it.

Keep at it, I really love seeing new pikas. Also, I believe chad is living in Georgia now, so you should find him at a tourney and watch, and talk to about getting better and stuff.

Rooktionary

Smash Journeyman
t;dr. jk, but thanks for the lengthy response. ill definitely work on all those things. i think chad is in ga too, but i dunno. The guy who's helping me get better is friends with 3 really good pikachus (Axe, pikachad, and one other i forgot) and he said if i stick with pikachu long enough, hell hook me up.

Also, someone said f-tilt to block peach's aerials? f-tilt or up-tilt? and i dont usually play peach mains, so does this work for most other characters as well?

N64

Smash Champion
3 main things, most important first

Dash dance more often. Your approaches were pretty predictable and he had a relatively easy time getting in on you because you would either stand still, or dash towards him/jump towards him from a stationary position. You need to be moving almost always to mess with their spacing and disguise your approaches. Peach will outprioritize you a lot, so to get in on her you have to make her swing at fake approaches and try to react on instinct to the real ones. Dash dance is wonderful for this, and you can mix in some wavedashes every so often as well to mix up your spacing and movement patterns. Also, try not to fall into any (or at least many) movement habits. Going from not dash dancing to dash dancing twice before approaching every time isn't going to help, you have to mix it up and try to make your opponent guess wrong on when you'll approach and how you'll react to their approaches. Stay mobile and mix it up.

Dair less. It's a good move that will beat out a lot, but if you overuse it it will slow you down. It's not that fast, and you would usually double jump fastfall dair (and seemed like you usually missed the l-cancel too). It might seem like this is good to get around your opponent, as you're going over their defenses and coming down with something strong, but pikachu actually doesn't like being above people. Above people you have dair and fastfall nair, and both are pretty see-through (neither is super stellar in that situation, and especially after using your double jump you're pretty limited otherwise. It's tough, but try to learn to get around defenses in other ways, as if you can you benefit much more from being under them than you do from being above them. Pikachu loooooves being under most characters. Use jolts to try to get them in the air, poke with tilts and reverse uairs, and use your afformentioned dash game to make it seem like the only way they'll catch you is by taking to the air (and then try to get under them and punish them for it).

Work on your upB angles. If you're more comfortable with your upB, you'll be able to sweetspot and just generally have more recovery options. Numerous times you were punished for upBing too high or too close to your opponent. Ideally you want to either reach the edge or get to the stage/platform with minimum fall time (so you don't fall as far and consequently allow your opponent to get to your landing spot before you do).

Otherwise, lookin good and can't wait to see your improvements.

Rooktionary

Smash Journeyman
thanks for advice N64. The thing about dash dancing and approaching is the exact same thing my friend SleepyK has been trying to teach me (after this video). I figure that I'll play some more matches using everything everyone has told me and record my progress. Might have the video up on this thread by Wednesday.. I'll see what I can do.

Any more advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

AXE 09

Smash Master
dude, you're moving to AZ soon?????

If that's the case, I won't need to give you any advice. I'll just show you in person hahaha

but seriously, I lived in SV (Sierra Vista) for about 14 years. I just recently moved to Phoenix. In a couple of years though (maybe like 3 years), I'll most likely be moving back down there. But I'll sometimes take trips to SV just to visit my old smash buddies. All I gotta say is.... be careful. I've played those guys for like 3 years strait, so they all know how to fight pikachu. Good luck man lol

Rooktionary

Smash Journeyman
lol nice. i look forward to getting owned by you. i may even make a couple trips up to phoenix. but, im gettin better with pika, but still not that good.. but oh well, id glad get rocked by the SV crew.

might have vids of my progress up soon as well

Pikachu24

Smash Cadet
i can give you some advice cuz im a pika mainer myself. try and ledge grab with agility at the begining of a fight. you dont have to just make sure you let yourself drop a little before using either a n-air or a side ariel.
try some quickfoot aerials when you get the chance. i left out some but you should perfect the above first, then you can get more gutsy with the rat.

quickfoot aerials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y616JeZb8a8&annotation_id=annotation_829940&feature=iv

Rooktionary

Smash Journeyman
Uhhhhh... I know I'm a noob at pikachu but I don't think you can do that...

Also, my pikachu's gotten a lot better. I just haven't had the chance to record lately.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
upload some vids man. But that brawl video was cool other than the fact i've got aheadache now. Even if I loved brawl I would still get bad headaches from playing it.

cardboard_mcguyver

Smash Rookie
I just started maining Pikachu so I need a lil' critiquing. I get completely owned in these two matches by one of the top 10 players in Georgia, but I guess it's good practice. I know I need to learn how to short hop more consistently and learn to approach better. Any other advice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIkPg-ui8ZQ

i feel you on this brother. i feel like watching you play was watching myself play. i'm tryin to get some vids of me and the guy training me (DaFtFlip) up here soon...

but in my experience, (concerning peach) do your best to stay on the ground, but don't cc her dsmash... EVER... i don't know if that's been put up yet, but it should be stated as a warning to all new players. definately get ahold of your quick attack, its very handy.

AS A SIDE NOTE:
is there any real usefulness for pika's side-b? i don't know the name of the attack or if that's the proper 'lingo' for the action or what, but everyone knows the attack i'm talking about.

i find its only use is to regain control during SDI. other than that, in low-dmg combat it doesn't seem to have any regaining qualities. it could be said that because it seems that way there are therefore a hundred opennings for it, but who wants to get into that? could somebody please explain this to me?:confused:

AXE 09

Smash Master
Pikachu's forward-b doesn't seem to be a move that should be used offensively. The main time when you should use it should only be to recover. Remember that there's a difference between a tilted forward-b and a smashed forward-b (just like a forward tilt or a forward smash). A smashed forward-b will make you go further which is better for recovery.

It's normally not a good idea to use your forward-b as an attack. The only time (I think) when it's 100% reliable is using it on a Jigglypuff who just missed a rest and is at a very low damage (low enough that your Usmash won't kill). A fully charged Forward-b is your strongest attack, so you can use this for the most damage.

You can also use it as a mindgame for a gimping opportunity on Fox/Falco. If you backthrow them off the stage, you can forward-b into them then tailspike, but this is definitely not reliable. If you miss, you are put in a horrible position. You should only do this if your opponent's reaction to the Bthrow will be very predictable and you just feel like doing something funny lol. You can also do some funny mixups off the edge like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om4q66UAzxM#t=2m50s
I definitely don't recommend it in any serious matches though.

If you find any positioins for it, you can also use it as a movement technique. You can edgecancel your Forward-b for mindgames, so it could be useful in that kind of situation. Not many "reliable" edge cancels have been found yet for this though, so it'd be great if we could start exploring some positions for it.

I think this move should be used strictly only for:

1) Recovery
2) Punishment for Jiggs on missed rests at low percents
3) Mindgames using an edge cancel if you are confident with it

It has WAY too much lag to be used offensively in my opinion, but if you wanna be silly then go ahead lol. But I'm pretty sure that most of the time, it'll only hurt you instead of help you.

BTW Rooktionary, are you still moving to AZ?

Rooktionary

Smash Journeyman
BTW Rooktionary, are you still moving to AZ?

I actually just got into Fort Huachuca on Friday. Sorry I didnt reply early but I couldn't use my computer for over 2 months. I don't know when I'll be able to get off base but when I do I'll let you know. I have V3ctorman's number too, so I'll call him whenever I find out when I can leave.

Top Bottom