• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help my falco

FoxID

Smash Cadet
Wow, thanks a lot guys for all the advice. My falco is really coming along. Not. What is up with this board? The community is so dead. No one bothers to help up and coming Falco mains either from feeling superior or just being too lazy.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Man, and we are all stuck at home, haha. I'm watching, I just don't know which is you. ;3

EDIT: Nevermind, I saw the credits.

Both falcos did pretty good I guess, although I don't think I have any advice to offer specificly for a Falco. Hehe

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
lol just throwing it out there... its awhole lot easier to give advice when you label yourself (although if u watch the other vids it becomes clear which you are) and if the matches arent dittos.

anyways what i noticed was your approaches and follow ups.
when u dair you almost never shine afterwards, dair > shine is one of falcos main starters, also fair > shine. and you seem to be relying on his Dthrow to connect with the shine which isnt the greatest habit because his dthrow is super easy to tech if ur opponent expects it. also try to stay away from falcos fair at lower %s (i kno they could just be an accident) and just stick with his nair. and double jumping with falco for any other reason than to reach your enemy and spike/bair or w/e them is a super bad idea, falco falls at such a fast speed and his up b SUCKS so if your off the edge with no second jump your just plain ****ed.

sorry if the info above makes no sense due to my aim typing habits. ill try to summarize.

dont dthrow, dair/nair > shine instead. once you shine them you can jump right back up to dair again, thats mostly how falco builds damage.

always shffl when approaching.

use falcos gift from the smash gods, his gun lol. use it more, whenever you cant connect with a dair or some starter you should be shooting trying to get in to a spot where u can.

falcos spike is an awsome edgeguard, short hop if right on the edge of ledge and you should hit your enemy. his dsmash and fsmash work too.

dont roll as much, wavedashing works wonders.

im not sure what else, your lcanceling looks good.

hope i helped :]

FoxID

Smash Cadet
Thanks! That's what I was looking for. Things I need to work on. And yeah I've basically figured out a lot of that stuff on my own. I've been doing a lot od Dair>Shine lately. Something I did one day by accident and I've been doing it a lot.
And I never Fair on purpose. I don't like Fair. I am getting out of the habit of rolling. I can't really wavedash mid fight. Only maybe to wavedashe backwards and shl. I can only do it to look flashy. And I dont' even do a good job of that.
Thanks for all the advice.
OH! I have a question. How you I Lcancel? I just Spam R when I'm about to land an Aerial. Does that work? Or is it like Teching? Where it hurts to spam L or R.

FoxID

Smash Cadet
Oh! Well, I usually only use my shl as an approach or to connect combos.
Basically if my combo ends in me hitting them across the level I will shl to immobilize them as I approach and start a new combo or get a good smash in to kill them. Keep in mind I don't fight pros so I do have bad habits. Which are developed from fighting lvl 9's and noobs.

FoxID

Smash Cadet
Yeah. If you read one of my other video descriptions I say how he is new to Melee and he has only played about maybe 30 matches in his life. I just need someone to play and he is the only one I can play against. He is bad but I don't think I'm that good either.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
"Keep in mind I don't fight pros so I do have bad habits. Which are developed from fighting lvl 9's and noobs."

Try finding someone near your area to play you sometime. (besides your cousin) A great example, me, lol. I'm ok, not a pro though (been to a few tournies though). I'm also stuck with fighting lvl 9's.

FoxID

Smash Cadet
FLORIDA! Wow, I live in florida. I wonder where St.Cloud is....One sec, let me check google earth.

-Edit: Nope. St.Cloud is way too far from Miami.

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
i too am stuck with noobs and lvl 9s lol, we should start a group.

if you have trouble with wavedashing just practice it in between stocks.
lvl 9 bowsers take years to get across final D because they use fire breath every 3 or so steps, so you can practice then aswell.

to practice lcanceling i wouldnt spam L or R lol. first find which button you like better, not just for lcanceling but for everything (aerials, shine cancels, wavedash, etc...).

i use R to lcancel and L to wavedash, just throwing it out there.

after you find which button feels comfortable try practicing with characters like link or bowser who have laggy attacks so you can actually see the difference. start with full jumps, move to short hops, then to SHFF. you know the deal.

once u get that down try it with falco, ide start with nair (even tho im pretty sure all his aerials have the same frame count). remember to do full jump lcancels then SH lcancels then SHFFls.

it becomes a muscle memory type thing fairly quickly so u dont really have the think about it.

FoxID

Smash Cadet
You and I are similair. I too use L to wavedash and R for everything else. Is that odd? That for wavedashing I switch from X to Y and From R to L? I do all my jumping with X except when I am going to wavedash..... I agree we should make a group.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
FLORIDA! Wow, I live in florida. I wonder where St.Cloud is....One sec, let me check google earth.

-Edit: Nope. St.Cloud is way too far from Miami.
Awww man. : < But, for future references, I will add both of you to my friends list. ;3 Just in case. Sure, I'll join in. ;p

Yeah, I like to jump with X, but I also have control stick jumping in my mind. How does this mess me up? I was too lazy to put on my name on my friends brawl, and tap jump was off, and I almost died twice because I wasn't DJ'ing when I ordered my character to do so. D:

FoxID

Smash Cadet
Awww man. : < But, for future references, I will add both of you to my friends list. ;3 Just in case.
Good Idea if you are ever in Miami let me know. I'm up for a good smashfest any time.
Add me to AIM
My sn is SilenceOfDJT

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
i only use x for flashy waveshining because you can slide B over A to X.
but for practical waveshines i just go B > Y.
Y for everything basically.

o and i noticed i didnt exactly answer about the lcanceling, the timing is the hardest part and i left it out lol.
its about half a second before u hit the ground with the aerial, i think. you can also check youtube, im sure theres something up there for visual learners (me :laugh:)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Ok I will add you, I need to re download Aim though haha. ;p

FoxID

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I'm a visual learner as well. Everything I know is from watching pros. I taught myself Shl and pillaring and all that. Well, I'm still trying to get pillaring down. I was fascinated by how easy it was to Short hop with Falco that I made him my main because of that one reason. I had such a hard time Short hopping with fox. And with Falco everything just seemed to flow.

@Sumo: Alright welll let me know when you get it. IM me or something.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Argh, why do you both live so far. Well, doesn't matter, we'll find a way to play melee, because we love Melee so much. ;p

Sure thing, once I do I will Im you, if you are on at the time.

Also, I never got L canceling down. I mean, I have done it, but I don't really know if I do it right. Like you said, Bahamut, the timing is hard, but I will practice it. Fastfalling is easy, I just don't do it often. I shorthop often though.

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
i started out by maining fox so everything having to do with finger speed came pretty easy.
fox's short hop is stupid, you have to let go of the jump button within 3 frames of pressing it. stupid.

falco is much better :] but his wavedash has a really wierd delay due to his easy short hop.

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
indeed, the forces of the melee gods are gunna bring the uber group (our new name) together some day.

FAUK BROLL

FoxID

Smash Cadet
I agree. When I first started using Falco I loved his SH but his wavedash suffered because of his jump delay. But now that I've gotten used to the timing I think it flows pretty easily into some nice Wavesmashes or wavehogs....(WD into edgehog)

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
haha it was a stroke of genius i kno.

falcos WD isnt SUPER essential like samus or luigi's but its still essential.
WD backwards from enemy smash > Fsmash = classic sex

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Lol, and just for fun, I'll try maining Falco as well. ;p As of now, I have been focusing on Doc and Ness, but I like playing Falco at times. I also love SH to Dair with Falco too, its so fast. :3

Since we are now a group, we shall try to all meet up on Aim as often as possible. ;p And of course talk about MELEE MELEE MELEE. And then stuff in between.

FoxID

Smash Cadet
You know what I like to do? It looks so flashy. Well, atleast it does in my opinion.
I WD back off the level and onto the edge and the camera takes a second to adjust and for like half a second my opponent is like Wtf?! Where did he go!? and then I jump back onto the level and start SHLing. It gets them everytime. (Keep in mind I play with noobs who don't use any AT whatsoever.)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
You mean.... Its our... DESTINY? Ah, I see. Have you been to any tournies yet? I have only been to two. ;p

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
lol deal!
sn = yrsmilekillsme
its emo, im aware. xD

but yea FFing and lcanceling are a must for falco since his attacks dont have as much hitstun as some other chars, so you need to be on the ground and ready to shine/utilt asap.

FoxID

Smash Cadet
Dun-Dun-Dun!!!!!!!
We gotta make a crew!
Bahamutz! You can be our crew representative in the west coast!

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
chyea breh. we're across the country, man we're takin over.

shine canceled fire bird stalls are the essence of flash. same with shine canceled double lasers from the ledge and LHDL.

FoxID

Smash Cadet
Get on AIM!!!! NAOH!
I needa learn Fire bird stalls first. I have never tried to do it.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah, but are you all ready to practice your arses off? Because I am, I want us to be better than just 'GOOD'. You hear me? And of course, sometimes we might lose, but we get experience. ;p

Top Bottom