• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

help me, my Dedede sucks and doesn't seem to improve! any tips?

ynnek123

Smash Ace
I've read the stickies and stuff, and have been playing 35 hours as of now, and my dedede isn't getting better... my chain grabbing really sucks and my opponents still seem to get out of it really easy, even if i shield cancel the grabs.
Also, I don't know what to do when I launch my opponents up in the air with Utilt and Usmash :urg:
When I try to spam some waddle dees , my opponent dodges them all and immediately comes rushing at me, when i try to Ftilt, he always manages to evade it and get in an attack.... I really don't know what could help me =/ any tips? and my chain grabs seem to work on the chars that don't slide really far against CPU's but online they always manadge to dodge... any tips?

heres some terrible quality vids vs cpu lv9s =/
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=JyfQNkpmgGk
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=YPNIkXDtJPY

Koop_88

Smash Journeyman
Consider maining someone else?

If you've followed all the stickies, hints, tips and watched plenty of vids, then there really is no hope for you. I'm sorry, you just aren't a "chosen one".

Hype

Smash Lord
I changed my grab to "X", I find it easier to time, especially the infinites.

It you want to improve and you've read the stickies i suggest watching Vids. pay attension to watch what other people do when in situations when they get thier opponants in the air.

Pwnguin2015

Smash Rookie
I hope you don't mind reading a lot. =/

It would help to see some videos of you playing, but I'd understand if you can't (I don't own a video camera).

You are dealing with King Dedede. He is heavy yet possesses a very strong air-game. Don't neglect using your air-game. A decent combo to set up a U-Tilt is a Fast-Falled N-Air leading to a U-Tilt. It works and is very useful.

Once you have them in the air, try juggling them. However, expect an air-dodge. Once, they're in the air, get under them and wait for them to air-dodge. When their air-dodge is about to end, hit them with a U-Air. You can try to continue this for a while but they'll learn that you'll wait until they finish air-dodging and instead try drifting away or attacking. I suggest at one point switching to a B-Air to do some real damage.

It helps to gauge your distance when throwing Waddle Dee's. If they are far away, fully jump and throw a Waddle Dee. If they are in an awkward not-close-but-not-far area, short-hop and throw a Waddle Dee. If they are Sonic and trying to run at you, don't jump at all and throw a Waddle Dee.

If they are running at you expect one range closer than they are. If they are far away but running, short-hop and throw a Waddle Dee.

However, I don't advise spamming Waddle Dee's. While great projectiles, they are slow and predictable if used too much. Use Waddle Dee's to return from getting sent flying and to disrupt your opponent. Also use them as projectile buffers. Samus is screwed if you've got a Waddle Dee between the two of you. And none of the Landmaster Space Animals' Blasters can reach you if you've got a Waddle Dee between you two. USE SPARINGLY.

As for your F-Tilt, use to keep yourself distanced. Don't use it to fend a charging attacker off unless you know that they can out-range your D-Tilt. Your F-Tilt also cancels many projectiles. REMEMBER THIS.

Your D-Tilt should be used very often unless the foe likes to jump into the air and attack, at which point you should use your U-Tilt. Your D-Tilt has decent knock-back, decent damage, and is a fast move with little ending lag (I, personally, like to fake my foe out by using an F-Smash [Which I know they'll wait off and charge afterwards] and then as they charge me, quickly launch off a D-Tilt. It usually catches them off-guard). It also has great priority so use it often as a means of attacking charging foes.

Use your U-Tilt multiple times to juggle when your opponent is at low percentages. It helps build damage quickly. ^_^

I don't chain-grab much because I'd rather follow a D-Throw with an F-Tilt or just B-Throw to build damage quickly. Whatever works, though.

D-Air is a great move that scores multiple hits and can lead into some decent combos. Use it for a counter-approach or an approach in itself.

Learn to WOP, learn when to Dededecide and when it is practical and how to trick your opponent into falling for it, learn to play mind-games and play some ledge-games as well, and find someone who will take you in as a Dedede apprentice. Someone who will teach you things only a Dedede player can teach and something that will help in fighting other Smashers.

I find studying someone else's Dedede is a very good way to get better yourself. The more you watch how a pro Dedede player plays, the more you'll tend to do some of the things they do and create your own strategies off of them. If you don't find someone who will take you in, YouTube can help learning how pros do it.

Just keep practicing and you'll do fine. Develop your own strategies, learn mind-games, learn to pressure your foe into doing something they don't want to do, and just have fun with him.

He's King Dedede. You can't go wrong if you practice.

I hope it helps. ^_^

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I've read the stickies and stuff, and have been playing 35 hours as of now, and my dedede isn't getting better... my chain grabbing really sucks and my opponents still seem to get out of it really easy, even if i shield cancel the grabs.
Also, I don't know what to do when I launch my opponents up in the air with Utilt and Usmash :urg:
When I try to spam some waddle dees , my opponent dodges them all and immediately comes rushing at me, when i try to Ftilt, he always manages to evade it and get in an attack.... I really don't know what could help me =/ any tips? and my chain grabs seem to work on the chars that don't slide really far against CPU's but online they always manadge to dodge... any tips?
I have this same problem. How did I get past it? I stopped playing against snake.

The chaingrab just takes muscle memory. But I seriously suggest that you get it down perfectly its worth the reward, especially against pit and snake who would other wise **** you. Don't rely on waddles too much. Make sure to incorporate aerials mostly your bair. And just keep at it..... and if 35 hours with no progress discourages you, don't ever play melee. >> Stupid game, so fun/frustrating.

whut?

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like spacing is a big issue..know your opponents moveset, know your moveset,
and know how to make your moveset prevail over your opponents, by manipulating the 'space' in between players.
Easier said then done though, theres a million things i could say, but theres one important thing that will help you learn the rest of them:
Learn from your mistakes, watch what you do wrong, maybe scrap your whole playstyle and start fresh..
Everything is an option, dont force yourself into one pattern..Its possible dedede might not be right for you,
he has a steep learning curve, but you shouldnt quit after 35 hours.

ynnek123

Smash Ace
thanks for all the replies! I'll try to answer them all

koop_88 - The dude I play said my best characters are D3 and toon link after fightin with almost every haracter, so I must suck really bad in brawl or he must be dumb

blayde_axel - of course i'm using Dthrow xD. And well I only play against one same guy online, as everyone here in belgium isn't interested in brawl...

hype - I'll try that, I always use y to jump anyways :p

pwnguin - thanks for all the tips, I'll definately try tem out :D
And as for videos, I could record some but my phone camera is really crappy but maybe i could get a camera around next week.

rathy aro - I don't know what your problem is. can you explain? and as for the chain throwing, i think i already got a trick for that(I use shield after i grab to get my timing right and then I shield cancel grab) and i was actually way better in melee then i am in brawl now :p after 5 years of work lol

whut - yeah I can't really space that well. And i am used to much training, I played fox, falco and marth in melee lol

I know 35 hours isn't much in contrast with you guys, but it seems so long and it discourages me that I didn't improve to much since the beginning

I might also note that I'm only 14 years old if that has an effect on anything :p
and I'm kinda consistent at chaingrabbing now
edit: you could compar me to this guy, except i edgeguard better and use more ftilts and Dsmashes. also utilt on occasions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWA_XjfJ9WU

Timbers

check me out
I know 35 hours isn't much in contrast with you guys, but it seems so long and it discourages me that I didn't improve to much since the beginning

I might also note that I'm only 14 years old if that has an effect on anything :p
and I'm kinda consistent at chaingrabbing now
It wasn't meant to be a rude comment. If you were playing with DDD for like two months and didn't feel like you were making an improvement, then I'd see where you're coming from. No one has a firm grasp with their character after only 35 hours of play (unless you're metagay) Don't worry about it.

Your age doesn't really have anything to do with it. You could be 20 and still be impatient and frustrated at not improving at lightning speed.

ynnek123

Smash Ace
lol thanks you're giving me courage :p
but ppl sometimes say that teens have a lesser mindset then adults and D3 is all about mindgames according to most people so doesn't that mean my D3 coudn't be as good as older people's D3s?

Tyser

Smash Champion
Oh, didnt notice you were from Europe :-P. Understandable then about your play time. And if you wanna quit getting hit, shield+grab. It's DDD's most powerful weapon. As for CGing, just practice a lot against a buddy or a CPU or whatever. Once you get the timing down, which isnt really that tough, CGing will be as easy as breathing. One more thing, if you want to be good at this game, quit Wifi now. Just go to tournaments. Wifi makes you worse, ask anyone good.

ynnek123

Smash Ace
Oh, didnt notice you were from Europe :-P. Understandable then about your play time. And if you wanna quit getting hit, shield+grab. It's DDD's most powerful weapon.
I know about shield cancel grab, but my problem is I run try to run too soon or run too late =/ I know i gotta get the timing down, but its probably because of lag

WeltallZero

Smash Cadet
lol thanks you're giving me courage :p
but ppl sometimes say that teens have a lesser mindset then adults and D3 is all about mindgames according to most people so doesn't that mean my D3 coudn't be as good as older people's D3s?
I have to say, that was one of the humblest things I've seen someone say in a long time. Ironically, I think it also proves that your mindset is every bit as mature as any adult, and probably more than most.

Also, I'm in a position similar than you, in that I want to become better at Brawl. I think I'm not as good as you are currently, but I happen to live in Europe; in Spain, same timezone as Belgium, even. What do you say we trade friend codes and spar someday? I'll even pick Dedede, as I like him a lot, and we can learn from each other.

ynnek123

Smash Ace
I have to say, that was one of the humblest things I've seen someone say in a long time. Ironically, I think it also proves that your mindset is every bit as mature as any adult, and probably more than most.

Also, I'm in a position similar than you, in that I want to become better at Brawl. I think I'm not as good as you are currently, but I happen to live in Europe; in Spain, same timezone as Belgium, even. What do you say we trade friend codes and spar someday? I'll even pick Dedede, as I like him a lot, and we can learn from each other.
thanks man :D sounds like a good idea too
here's my FC: 0302-1240-0730

I can't play at this moment though :p

ynnek123

Smash Ace
Ok, I'll add you, but i can't play past 23:00 :S

I am available between 9:00 and 23:00 almost always though ^^

edit: actually I can xD but i have to play on HDtv =/

Top Bottom