• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help me improving my Marth

Wschl

Smash Apprentice
Hey. I play competive since about 1 year now, and i couldnt decide on a main till now.
Well as u can see, marth is the chosen one. I havent trained specific techniques yet, but i want to learn and what can be improved
Well this vid is about 3 weeks old i think, but it still shows, what my marth skill is like (maybe i even gotten a bit better since then)
In this vid, im playing against one of the best german smashers.
Well, gimme some helpful tips, dont flame me for being noob, thanks :)

my Marth.

puckgood

Smash Journeyman
Why do you care, stalker? Don't make me sic the po
You're actually pretty good... however, there is still a lot to work on.

Learn how to L-Cancel consistently out of more than just an SH. VERY important. Against Sheik, use the time honored strategy of edgehogging, then rolling into a tippered fsmash. Wonderful. Speaking of which, work on your spacing a bit. Tip=ownage. Your off of the edge gimps could use improvement, although you've already got quite a good start. On Yoshi''s Story, a Marth should ALWAYS win. Seriously. If you get the opponent on a platform at more than 10%, they are DEAD. The platforms are custom made for tippers. Watch some vids - M2K vs. KDJ is an AMAZING set.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
>_>

Just cuz Marth does good on YS doesn't make it an auto win for marth.

EDIT: Dash Dance moar.

Are you L-canceling at all? You should learn to L-cancel it helps you to link combos.

Stop spamming sword dance. Any character can just CC into whatever that move.

Also start using CC grab it extremely helpful vs sheik.

Is this the PAL version? Why the hell does marth move so far from a sheik's d-throw?

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
I must admit at that level I was impressed you was attempting some of the things you did, such as the ledge hop dair. I can tell you have a little understanding of how Marth works, but I'll give you some tips. Ok the most obvious thing you need to improve on is your tech skill, the l canceling is the most important one. Also keep in mind that the l canceling timing varies depending on what you hit. You have to learn how to cancel aerials that don't hit anything, that hit the foe or a shield. If you hit a shield then it will slightly slow down the momentum of your aerial, meaning you'll have to press R/L a little later then usual.

Another important element of Marth is called spacing. Do you use the Cstick for your fairs/bairs/dairs/uairs? If not then you really need to get into the habit of doing so. Why? Mainly because when you jump you can use the analog stick to control Marth's movement in the air and (for example, hold back on the analog stick after jumping) and then use the C stick do the aerial. This method helps you hit with Marth's blade tip more and decreases the chances of you getting shield grabbed.

I saw a few nice edge guard attempts from you, like the bair one. Speaking of edge game, learn how to sweet spot the edge with your Up B. You will need to have this mastered. Oh and using the entire dancing blade with Marth is ok, but try to reduce it, yeah? Me personally, I only use the first forward B to set up for a combo. Oh and dash dance more. XD

Keep it up dude. ^^

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Your shffl'd fairs are way too high. You're going to get shieldgrabbed a lot if you don't change that. Your approach in general is too obvious. Dashdance more. Don't just stand there ever.

If someone crouch cancels into dsmash twice, you probably shouldn't be attacking them in such a careless way again.

You might want to consider doublejumping into a fair if you think they're going to go out to hit you, as you'll be able to grab the ledge immediately after.

Watch your ledgehops. Try using nairs sometimes, or just ledgedash if they're too far away for the fair.

You're not going to be able to edgeguard Sheik from on the stage. You pretty much have to edgehog unless the Sheik really sucks.

Your wavedashes look a little short. Might wanna work on that.

Bairs aren't that great. I'd fair instead if possible. Don't throw out the bair randomly just because they're behind you.

Usmash? Against someone on the ground? I dunno... I feel like you have better options.

Wschl

Smash Apprentice
well thanks for the feedback by now.
A few informations u might think about and asked for :
-Yes, its Pal, since im living in germany :p
thats also a prob, since marths dair doenst spike here,just meteor =/
-He is one of the best, but he got an all known problem : if i for example play against some one who isnt as good as me, i automaticlly play worse. dunno, but i noticed that on the few events i were.
So u could handle that as "sandbagging"
btw i did so also, even if i wouldnt had a chance anyway, cuz i dont play Fox. got *****, but bagged. Against one of the top german smashers> *****, sandbagged.

-I have a little understanding of Marth, but i just got general problems i think.
-Ofc i l-cancel, but maybe i dont make it in time any time xD
-im getting used to the c-stick at the moment.

I try to get all the tips u gave. One more question : How important is wavelanding actually?
My platform movement is BAD. i mean..rly bad... as u saw in the vid :p
Any tips how to improve that??
Which buttons do i have to press at which time?
e.g.> YS standing below the right/left platform . How to perform a DJ fast fall waveland ?
i mean, mostly i try to press down right/left and R,so i perform a short waveland at least, cuz my timing is mostly bad.

Last question :
Do U think i have any chances to become "rly good"? talent or smth like that? i dunno, i would be a helpless case, should i quit smash?

Brawl sucks.
Thanks again.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Wavelanding is purely a mindgame. I haven't really found that much use for it. You can do some weird stuff like... shorthop at someone, waveland behind them and do something... or shorthop fair to waveland... but those're kinda situational.

As far as platform dashing goes... I dunno, I don't really use it as Marth except to get around shorthop lasers. You can make it to most platforms with just a fulljump though, you don't have to doublejump or fastfall. Just jump up through the platform and when you're level with it, waveland onto it.

Everyone has the capacity to become good. Just gotta be diligent.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Jumping then double jumping to a platform is usually faster if your trying to waveland. It also allows you to fastfall-lcancel quicker if you do it fast enough. That's usually the reasoning to double jumping under a platform as opposed to fulljumping.

I happen to waveland a ton. Not so much on the ground with Marth as usually I like to stay spaced, but on platforms I use it all the time. It just takes practice to gain the consistency and timing on each stage. Don't john about bad timing, the only way your going to get better is if you just practice wavelanding around all the time.

If you play someone worse than you, take the time to learn a new aspect of your game. Such as only tech chase for a stock, then only try to edgegaurd. That should help keep you focused and hopefully make you a better player.

As for your last question. If you don't like the game quit. If you have fun and enjoy it, just play.

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
well thanks for the feedback by now.
A few informations u might think about and asked for :
-Yes, its Pal, since im living in germany :p
thats also a prob, since marths dair doenst spike here,just meteor =/
-He is one of the best, but he got an all known problem : if i for example play against some one who isnt as good as me, i automaticlly play worse. dunno, but i noticed that on the few events i were.
So u could handle that as "sandbagging"
btw i did so also, even if i wouldnt had a chance anyway, cuz i dont play Fox. got *****, but bagged. Against one of the top german smashers> *****, sandbagged.

-I have a little understanding of Marth, but i just got general problems i think.
-Ofc i l-cancel, but maybe i dont make it in time any time xD
-im getting used to the c-stick at the moment.

I try to get all the tips u gave. One more question : How important is wavelanding actually?
My platform movement is BAD. i mean..rly bad... as u saw in the vid :p
Any tips how to improve that??
Which buttons do i have to press at which time?
e.g.> YS standing below the right/left platform . How to perform a DJ fast fall waveland ?
i mean, mostly i try to press down right/left and R,so i perform a short waveland at least, cuz my timing is mostly bad.

Last question :
Do U think i have any chances to become "rly good"? talent or smth like that? i dunno, i would be a helpless case, should i quit smash?

Brawl sucks.
Thanks again.
Regarding your last question...the truth is everyone has potential. But the real question is how much is that potential? It varies from person to person obviously. Everyone learns at different paces, some faster then others. As I mentioned earlier, despite your level I was impressed at the things you was attempting. So if you want it bad enough then my answer is yes, you will become skilled. You just have to never give up. :)

Wschl

Smash Apprentice
push.

A question :
I want to train "meteor tech" or "edge tech" so i go to training mode and place a mine at the edge, so it hits me when im recovering(with up-b) at which moment do i have to press l(r) exactly to tech that?

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
'Sactually bump.

I calculated this once. Assuming ten frames of hitlag for the mine, you can press L or R immediately after you Dolphin Slash. The only way that this messes up is if you have to use the entire upward length of the Dolphin Slash and manage to click the trigger less than three frames after you start the move.

DavieBoy

Smash Apprentice
We are in the same boat buddy I just started to get into competitive melee about a year or so ago.

Any way from what I noticed on the one match...#1 thing is grab more - a lot more, Marth has one of the best grab games, practice on follow ups to grabs and even tech chase combos using D-throw. SHFFL is your friend (next to grabs!) I seen a few times were you left your self open by using a single F-air (this could have been a missed SH Double F-air happens to me too :p) at times though a single SHFFL F-air is the better thing to do, you can easily follow it up with a grab or whatever really. N-air from the ledge more as well to get back on the stage - this is a technique that took me a while to learn, I would SD ALL THE TIME when practicing it, but do not worry with time you will be able to do this no problem, remember to L-cancel for some dumb reason I always forgot to do that.

Regardless of any mistakes made you still a great player, it is just more perfecting techniques and becoming constant from what I see. As far as your stage movement I am currently working on that as well so I feel ya there, any tips on that will be appreciated btw :)

Top Bottom