• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help me beat this guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChokE

Smash Apprentice
So I been playing smash on and off recently, and I am trying to pick it up again, so any tips on helping to get a win off this guy is deeply appreciated.
I am one of the few ppl reping Pit in Norcal , so Pit's honor is on the line!

Choke vs choice brawler (rival)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSt52n2ILBo&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgNaYl6hsbI&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuVNJvbUJAQ&feature=channel_page

other matches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C47-mvNdu7c&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm1EOeYzTPY&feature=channel_page

P.S. The video were recorded about two month ago, but i dont think i got much better recently.

Riku00

Smash Ace
from what i saw you need to work on dodging and blocking. you also need to play mere defensively. i see you making alot of mistakes such as usin your smashes instead of tilts whenever you had the perfect oppurtunity. you definately need to work on your mirror shield skillz, and i didn't see you us AR once. im not telling you to spam it im just saying its good for some tight situations. also you should use W of I to keep some space between the two of you and its great for disrupting combos. i also don't remember seeing many grabs from your end either i think you should work on that, they are great for starting combos when your opponent is at a low%. work on that stuff and ill bet you'll be able to beat him. BTW don't ever try to fly under FD like that agian as soon as you started to try i knew you wouldn't make it. if your going to fly under FD you should have some jumps or glide underneath first. its hard for W of I to do it alone.

ChokE

Smash Apprentice
Well guess i just need to get better with more practice because i guess causing him physical pain is out of the question. I have not been not smashboards for awhile, so i did not know we had a critique thread.

TheOgbot

Smash Journeyman
I've watched all three videos against Choice Brawler, and I have to say, there were a few trends I noticed.

1. You didn't utilize Pit's air game enough. I did see a couple bairs here in there when you were trying to finish, a bunch of dairs and a choice nair every so often. All I can say about your air game is that you should utilize Pit's aerials regularly instead of just using them to primarily finish.

2. You weren't very aggressive. I don't know everyone's stance on Pit and how he should be played, but I believe that Pit is a wonderful character to use aggressively. You seemed to keep your distance most of the time, and that's great when you're using arrows, but when you had a couple chances to go in and attack, you didn't really take full advantage of that.

3. You were way too nice when it came to the ledge. I saw way too many instances where I would've followed the enemy off the side and would've tried to stage spike them or knock them farther away from the stage. Anytime you had the chance to do so, you seemed to just chill kind of close to the edge either shooting some arrows at them, or just anticipating their rolling onto the stage so you could hit them with a dsmash or some other choice smash. All I can recommend to you is that you need to get off the stage and pummel them until they die.

4. You used WoI to go under the stage without using a glide / the rest of your jumps. Those jumps and glide that you aren't using are bits of insurance that you're throwing away when you press Up B. You absolutely must use as many of those as you can just to make sure that you won't die earlier than you need to. Forewarning though if you didn't know this, if you glide on your last jump, you'll free fall to your death. I still do this every once in a while XD

I can't think of anything else for now, but I'll update if I can think of anything.

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
4. You used WoI to go under the stage without using a glide / the rest of your jumps. Those jumps and glide that you aren't using are bits of insurance that you're throwing away when you press Up B. You absolutely must use as many of those as you can just to make sure that you won't die earlier than you need to. Forewarning though if you didn't know this, if you glide on your last jump, you'll free fall to your death. I still do this every once in a while XD
1. Learn a character that has a more difficult time recovering:

Link
Ganondorf
Boozer :)
Fluffykins
Ash Ketchum
Mario
Ness
Llamacario
Yoshi

Appreciate your jumps and stuffs.

I can't think of anything else for now, but I'll update if I can think of anything. =p

Seiya7

Smash Apprentice
hm.....you're a good pit player but kinda like you had a routine going on try to mix it up a little sometimes and yes also try to be a tad more aggressive.

a good way of approaching is a short hopped nair to uptilt cuz its not very punishable try watching some of the other pit players and you'll see what i mean.

when fighting kirby, if you know hes gonna recover using his up b quickly use mirror shield cuz you can turn him around and make him suicide its all about timing.

when flying under FD with WoI its a hit or miss kinda thing don't hesitate or else you won't make it and if you do hesitate you have a better chance of turning aruond and tryin to find a safe way to get to the nearest edge.

also angelic step is good for mixing up your game

hope i could help and i wish you luck my fellow angel :D

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
how do you wingdash?
Since i guess the pits cant respond, you short hop up b and then dair. You input dair with the c stick so that you can move left or right with the control stick. Its a pretty useless AT imo, though the same could be said with like arrow swarming and all the lil arrow tricks that pits do.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Since i guess the pits cant respond, you short hop up b and then dair. You input dair with the c stick so that you can move left or right with the control stick. Its a pretty useless AT imo, though the same could be said with like arrow swarming and all the lil arrow tricks that pits do.
To that lame bold i gave u, While I chose not to respond to Marths, that person should really be asking those questions in the "Ask a simple question get a simple answer" thread which is stickied. Dont ppl read anymore?
And also, I think Wingdashing is NOT useless, and as far as Arrow swarming goes, it's not neccessary, but if they can pull it off, let em.

Wingdashing is simply done by a SH Up-B to D-air, all under a second. But now I dont want this thread spammed up, so I think I'll stop here, unless I need to update something.

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
To that lame bold i gave u, While I chose not to respond to Marths, that person should really be asking those questions in the "Ask a simple question get a simple answer" thread which is stickied. Dont ppl read anymore?
And also, I think Wingdashing is NOT useless, and as far as Arrow swarming goes, it's not neccessary, but if they can pull it off, let em.

Wingdashing is simply done by a SH Up-B to D-air, all under a second. But now I dont want this thread spammed up, so I think I'll stop here, unless I need to update something.
Admiral basically took the words out of my mouth. Dont come in here judging us pits just because we dont answer a question that is posted in the wrong thread (which should probably be closed already) and should be easy to find the answer to using our EASILY LOCATED stickied resources.

Wingdashing is NOT useless, and these "lil" tricks we do were discovered by hardwork from a curious person with the same love we all have for our chracter so dont belittle them either. They make our Pit unique.

SkyRay

Smash Cadet
The main thing that bugs me about your play of pit is letting your opponent fall to the ground while you stand there. Take advantage of Pits incredible advantage he has in the air.
Keep at it and you'll improve.

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
The main thing that bugs me about your play of pit is letting your opponent fall to the ground while you stand there. Take advantage of Pits incredible advantage he has in the air.
Keep at it and you'll improve.
Pit can't really juggle people that well in the air though, can he? Maybe with some utilts and usmashes but other than that, only his dair hits them upwards. At least I think you're telling Choke to juggle me more. True like doing anything is better than standing around and watching your opponent get back to the ground. Even shooting an arrow and looping them and stuff sounds better.

ChokE

Smash Apprentice
Yeah i need to manage my jumps better and use more SH nairs maybe. What has been bother sometime in aerial battle is that I know that Pit have alot of jumps, but i dont think the quality of Pit's jump is that great. In my experience Pit have a few weak spot while doing his aerials, and his air mobility is not that great.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
I normally recommend learning your character's spacing liek the back of your hand, but your opponent's spacing isn't all that great to begin with so you can probably beat him with less-than-perfect spacing. To learn spacing really well, try playing like you don't want to get hit even once (pretend you're in a sudden death). Although since he seems to overcommit frequently, it seems that punishing and counter-attacks would probably be a good battle plan.

IMHO

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
You're like one of the billions of n00bs who constantly walk into Ike's Aether (Up-B) as he recovers.

if you know hes gonna recover using his up b quickly use mirror shield cuz you can turn him around and make him suicide its all about timing.
Personally, I haven't got the hang of this yet. Else, as he plans to land on the stage with it, shield the first hits, then roll behind him. You're taking all the hits on your face.

Angel Rings are good to throw in too.

you definately need to work on your mirror shield skillz, and i didn't see you us AR once. im not telling you to spam it im just saying its good for some tight situations.

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
Pit can juggle, look up pit combo video's.
There is a good one that is about 7 minutes long.
Wow theres a combo video of a pit juggling someone for 7 min, thats ****.

You're like one of the billions of n00bs who constantly walk into Ike's Aether (Up-B) as he recovers.
I guess one aether per match can be considered "constantly"...<.<
I mean the only aether he gets hit by is at 1:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuVNJvbUJAQ&feature=channel_page
and that one was the sneaky sneaky.

Seiya7 said:
if you know hes gonna recover using his up b quickly use mirror shield cuz you can turn him around and make him suicide its all about timing.
Every single aether i used he tried to mirror shield it, obviously you 2 are about equal when it comes to this drag0nfeather.

Personally, I haven't got the hang of this yet. Else, as he plans to land on the stage with it, shield the first hits, then roll behind him.
If ike aether's onto the stage, you dont roll behind him. This is like a terrible idea. You're already shielding it, it wont shield stab, so just wait it out and then stutter step your fsmash or something. You dont even need to shield it, why risk the shield stab or weaken your shield? Just wait til the last hitbox of aether, where ike lands with his sword, and you can just walk up and tilt or smash. Its got terrible afterlag, so most ikes rarely aether onto the stage.

Angel Rings are good to throw in too.
If you dont time them well, or use them efficiently, angel ring just results in free hits for your opponent. In kirby's case, an Fsmash. In ike's a ftilt or fsmash or quick draw or...

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
1. I only saw one video where he was facing your Kirby.

2. As a result of only watching that one video, I didn't get the impression he even knew to mirror shield Kirby's Up-B.

Edit: I've never mirror shielded Kirby's up-B myself, so my advice could be obsolete.

3. Re: rolling behind Ike/Kirby's up-B: Either roll behind it when you know they expect you to move backward so you can wait for them to land and punish, or spot dodge the last landing-hit and punish.

If you shield and take the hit head on, there's a high chance you'll get shield knockback and will be out of range to do something like a grab to throw your target off-stage again. Nor is it a bad tactic to wait it out and stutter step. I would do the same, sometimes. The thing is, he hasn't tried rolling behind it yet, at least, not that I can recall after seeing the video once, so you wouldn't expect it, since you would generally expect him to take it head on.

Ike's triple-A combo.

3. re: Angel Rings. You don't know.

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
1. I only saw one video where he was facing your Kirby.

2. As a result of only watching that one video, I didn't get the impression he even knew to mirror shield Kirby's Up-B.

Edit: I've never mirror shielded Kirby's up-B myself, so my advice could be obsolete.

3. Re: rolling behind Ike/Kirby's up-B: Either roll behind it when you know they expect you to move backward so you can wait for them to land and punish, or spot dodge the last landing-hit and punish.

If you shield and take the hit head on, there's a high chance you'll get shield knockback and will be out of range to do something like a grab to throw your target off-stage again. Nor is it a bad tactic to wait it out and stutter step. I would do the same, sometimes. The thing is, he hasn't tried rolling behind it yet, at least, not that I can recall after seeing the video once, so you wouldn't expect it, since you would generally expect him to take it head on.

Ike's triple-A combo.

3. re: Angel Rings. You don't know.
1. The only thing i mention about kirby was punishing angel ring. That entire post was just talking about ike. Im hoping thats cleared up now.

2. I never said anything about mirror shielding kirby's fc, i dont think you did either really. You talked about mirror shielding aether and punishing aether. Aether = Ike, FC = Kirby.

You can Mirror Shield kirby's FC, i've seen Choke do it before.

3. The most common way to punish kirby's FC, cuz spamming it is a terrible idea, is perfect shielding the projectile or just running up and shielding the projectile and then smashing ot what have you. Both FC and Aether have terrible lag. You can get away with shielding and stuff, you dont need to roll. Why give up the chance of punishing an attack? The reason why you dont see him rolling behind, is because thats not a very good idea. I'm sure maybe he tried it before and it didnt result in anything cuz he prolly wasnt able to punish.

4. L2count and "Ike's tripe-A combo"? You like wrote it and then didnt say anything...maybe you were planning on typing something and forgot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom