• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help here

zodiac502

Smash Rookie
well if you are using the gamecube controller gently tape y. I MEAN BARELY TAP IT. then go the opposite way in which you are facing then use the turtle. this helps big time.

Gishnak

Smash Ace
If you are using the tap jump to jump (as in pressing up on the joystick) you are going to have a lot of trouble, it's difficult to do consistently. I recommend using a button to jump, and to short hop, just quickly tap it. The shorter the button is pressed the more likely you will be to short hop.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I actually used to tap jump until about a week ago. Yeah, surprising.
But I could consistently tap jump in a battle.
I've started to wean myself from it and go to the jump button because I get the impression that all the good players will be using the jump buttons over the tap jump by a mile.

so yeah, I've been using jump button a lot more, and I will probably turn tap jump off soon.

Just practice a lot, and try as much as you can in friendlies. Even if it's unwarranted in the battle abusing the short hop will help you learn it quicker.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
If you are using the tap jump to jump (as in pressing up on the joystick) you are going to have a lot of trouble, it's difficult to do consistently. I recommend using a button to jump, and to short hop, just quickly tap it. The shorter the button is pressed the more likely you will be to short hop.
No, it isn't. I played melee fox/falcon using up for everything (except wavedashing and jumping out of moonwalks) Brawl more than melee, tap jump is equally viable.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
it has to do with the amount of time you have the button pressed down right? like you have to release the button in 4 frames or something

BbqCombo

Smash Apprentice
just lightly tap x or y and you will shorthop
not working?
go to training and go to a low speed to practice, then move up speeds gradually and you'll get it.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
How to short hop has been covered along with the general wisdom to jump with a button, but on a semi-related note, I should suggest that you not turn tap jump off as doing an up smash out of a shield is way too valuable to give up the ability to do easily. This is especially true for Mr. Game & Watch who has a ridiculously deadly up smash.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Kind of hold the button...and learn to rar the turtle it helps sooooooo much with using it :)

Top Bottom