• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help for massive fox shiner.

Nefarious

Smash Apprentice
OK. i searched for this twice and didnt find anything on it, so it would be pretty embarrising if someone else did.

I play with my friend who uses fox, and 99% of the time, hes shining. seriously, i cant think of a way to get out of it. what he does is, he'll get lucky and grab me. chain grab me to a ledge, jump and shine spike, before i can do anything, im to low to foward B, so i up B. he shine spikes that. and if somehow im not low enough and can do foward B, he shines that to.

not a good enough example? well theres more.

- I cant run up to him, even with the whole dash dance and WDing. some how he shines through that.
- if i shield, i cant get out of it. he wave shines constantly. if i roll out and run, duh fox is faster than falco, so he just runs toward me and shines. (jumping wont help either. he would just jump and shine me. dont even bother suggesting air attacks. tried it already.)
- Usually when i get some kind of combo on him, he shines out of it, then somehow magically gets me to a ledge and shine spikes me.
- cant shffl. you guessed it. reflects that. no point of relecting that back, that would just be a waste of time, considering the small lag it takes after reflecting projectiles and what not.

The list goes on.

Ive played several good foxes, and won quite a few times, but every time i play this particular fox, i beat him maybe 4 out of 10 games. Being all his KO's shine spikeing, and my wins being his badly timed shine spikes(which happens rarely) through foward B. Although his moves are very predictable, i cant see a way to overcome it.

So please MTV, pimp my ride.

TheBlackrose

Smash Journeyman
um how about u get better with ur shine and ground dodge his more often also di his throws up this might helpbut other than that he seems to be out playin u

InfiniteGXT

Smash Journeyman
I play with my friend who uses fox, and 99% of the time, hes shining.
Thats a pretty poor strategy on his behalf.

seriously, i cant think of a way to get out of it.
If he shines in a pattern, make note of said pattern and abuse it. If hes just shining randomly then hit him with a semi ranged attack like and Fsmash.

what he does is, he'll get lucky and grab me. chain grab me to a ledge,
If you are moving towards the ledge that means you are DIing towards the ledge. Try to mindgame him into grabbing in the wrong direction.

jump and shine spike, before i can do anything, im to low to foward B, so i up B. he shine spikes that. and if somehow im not low enough and can do foward B, he shines that to.
Sweetspot.

- I cant run up to him, even with the whole dash dance and WDing. some how he shines through that.
Shines through what? Wavedashing? Why are you WDing close enough for him to shine you?

- if i shield, i cant get out of it. he wave shines constantly. if i roll out and run, duh fox is faster than falco, so he just runs toward me and shines. (jumping wont help either. he would just jump and shine me. dont even bother suggesting air attacks. tried it already.)
His waveshining cant be fast enough for you to not be able to move or dodge or something. Just roll and dodge his grab or shine or whatever.

- Usually when i get some kind of combo on him, he shines out of it, then somehow magically gets me to a ledge and shine spikes me.
You dont just magically appear at the ledge. He cant shine you if you are hitting him.

- cant shffl. you guessed it. reflects that. no point of relecting that back, that would just be a waste of time, considering the small lag it takes after reflecting projectiles and what not.
You mean SHL? Hah. If hes just sitting there with his shield up then hop over the laser and jack him up in the lag time.

If you try all of this and still cant win. Hes better than you. Period. So I suggest you watch a ton of fox vs falco videos and try new stuff you see in them on him. :)

radical00edward

Smash Journeyman
1) Don't get grabbed (easier said than done). 2) SHL, especially if he likes to reflect it with the shine.
i agree with number one, but for number two, only shl if you are far enough so that if he shines it, you can shine it back at him

Miharu

Smash Hero
SHL relentlessly, jump over the reflected shots, and even if they hit you, continue SHLing. Once you get to him, take care to not get grabbed, which should be quite simple if you can pillar properly, and in your friend's case, it's likely he'll go for the immediate shieldgrab, so just get the lcancel for nair/dair down pat, and you'll be on your way to starting a massive shine combo on his shield-grabbing ***.

Two, make sure you know your bread and butter dair/waveshine combos. After the second set of dair/waveshines, or when he's at around 50% or so, then finish it with a bair, utilt into shine bair, nair into jab to dsmash, uair to grab; there are infinite possibilities. Just go on youtube/google vid and search for some pro falcos (PC, Dope, Tink, BS, Shiz, Rob$, and Aces & Eights is a decent combo vid).

But most importantly, get l-cancelling down so you lessen your chances of getting shieldgrabbed, and you'll be able to punish him heavily for attempting to do so. Also, abuse grabs if he likes to camp in his shield. Just SHL to grab, and proceed w/ uair for comboing, or dthrow if he doesn't know how to get out of it. You can do uthrow -> fsmash at around 50% as well.

Good luck.

LuCKy

Smash Master
kool sounds like the way i play fox when im toying with my friends falco..............lol what he does is shl like a ***** and if i reflect it he will run in and start pillaringand thats all he does all u need 2 do is learn some simple combos on fox like d throw d smah or shine back kick or somtin

Top Bottom