• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help fighting Luigi

What character out of the list gives Luigi the worst time in your opinion? Explain reasoning below

• Dark Pit

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Doc

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Red Pittoo ~ Rekt

Smash Apprentice
I find this character as such a chore to fight and get extremely irradiated after learning MU's and stuff only to get grabbed after constantly avoiding and dying at early percents. From you guys, I would love to know these things

*Getting out of his cyclone
*Least painful way of DI'ing d throw
*Which one of these characters gives Luigi the most trouble
:4darkpit::4drmario::4tlink::4lucas::4falco::4ganondorf::4feroy:(I'm pretty sure I know what you're gonna say, but I wanna make sure XD)
and whatever tips can be given.
Thanks!:awesome:

*EDIT:* THE POOL ABOVE WAS ACCIDENTALLY MADE WITHOUT GIVING ALL OPTIONS! OOPS!

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I play competitively as Luigi and, personally, I find Dark Pit to be really annoying. Characters with super fast projectiles do give ol' Weegee some trouble. So, bear that in mind, I guess...

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
With that character list, use whoever you're most comfortable. None of those characters beat Luigi and it has to come down to your comfort level as to which you want to use.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Dark Pit MU is like 60:40 Luigi's favor though
Wait. What?

With that character list, use whoever you're most comfortable. None of those characters beat Luigi and it has to come down to your comfort level as to which you want to use.
Lucas pose a trouble to Luigi. So that's definitely should be his pick.

Luigi maybe can just change his playsytle because fighting Lucas is quite different (Tomahawks must be smart, else you'll be getting a PK Fire), but I think Lucas beats Luigi.

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
Well what's the trouble you're having? Don't change characters unless you absolutely HAVE to--Let's look at your options. Who's your main? How can they turn Luigi on his head? (insert a wiffed Luigi up b here)

Luigi is a hard matchup for many characters, because of his incredibly good grab game, his overall power on a lot of his kill moves, and (in the right hands), his incredible recovery options.

A big thing for Luigi, however, is relying on grabs, in quite the predictable fashion--Fireball into grab is incredibly common. Instead of shielding or getting hit, jab the fireball and then jab him as he comes running at you. If he rolls backwards, which is common among FG players who are running low on options, find a way to punish it and keep the pressure on.

Most Luigi players don't have the mashing skill of Boss. By saying this, I mean that (most of the time,) Luigi is incredibly predictable while recovering, thus making him easy to gimp. Once his double jump is used, he's essentially a sitting duck. Take advantage of this opportunity. Good Luigi players will mix up side b and down b before exhausting their double jump, because they know that without his double jump, Luigi's recovery is as bad as Doc's. (Once again, we're assuming that this player does not have turbo fingers, in which case, don't be afraid to punish him on the lagtime of his down b--He can only use it ONCE to gain momentum when airborne. After that, he must refresh it by landing.)

Luigi is an incredibly good (and devastating) character when placed in the right hands. However, keep in mind his flaws when you battle him and take advantage of him. Don't let him control the match with his grab game, and if you get him offstage, don't be afraid to chase and punish. His air game is good, but he has very predictable patterns with a lot of lag time. Be brave. Hope this helps.

Edit: DI his downthrow INTO HIM at early percents. This limits his chop into jab or chain grab options, usually eating only one chop, or a uair/bair. At high percents, I prefer to DI away in hopes that I can get out a double jump while he begins to whirl. I've trained against a good Luigi on FG and the only way I could truly avoid downthrow into cyclone was to NOT GET GRABBED. It was faster than both my nair and even my up+b... And that's what? Frame 3?

Last edited:

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
1. Getting out of his cyclone isn't easy but the best way is to just hold down and to the right or left depending on which way hes taking you. Want a better method? don't let him get the grab!

2. Early on you want to DI d-throw towards luigi this will prevent the f-air, f-air to regrab shenanigans. at higher percents you almost always want to DI away from luigi, this prevents him from hitting you with double jump to up B and makes landing his nado a bit harder. However you should know that no matter how you DI luigi is always guaranteed to hit you with an up air if he wants to.
3. Out of those charachters lucas and toon link give luigi the most trouble. Toon link because luigi struggles against projectile based charachters in general and toon link arguably has the best projectiles in the game. Lucas because he can actually get out of luigi's combos and can space around luigi quite well with his pk fire and quick aerials.

Side note: There are only a few true counters to luigi in terms of charachter picks and they include: Mega Man, Sheik, Rosaluma and Samus, (They are true counters in that if played perfectly luigi literally has no chance of winning). However the true way to beat luigi is by understanding how he plays the game and what he wants to do. Luigi wants to grab you, thats literally where he gets all of his damage and momentum. To prevent this from happening you need to understand one of the most important fundamentals in smash and that is proper spacing. space yourself properly and punish luigi as he tries to approach. Most luigi's will get quite frustrated and will resort to predictable movement options like rolling. Punish them accordingly. Profit. Luigi has great frame data, make no mistake. He therefore has many different options in close encounters. You need to respect luigi when hes gets up close. Many people don't and then proceed to rage when he grabs them and gets a 50% combo. Its part of the game and there are ways around it. Exploit some of the weaknesses I mentioned and you'll do just fine.

Last edited:

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
Agh... Nothing really new except for the cyclone DI tips. I guess I'll just keep learning it with Lucas and walling with Toon Link.
I don't mean to offend, but I wrote a pretty big wall of advice for what to do with the character. I hope you got more than just DI advice from it.
Also, your grab as both Toon Link and Lucas outrange his...If you jab a fireball, or even block, you could bait him with a grab/pivot grab into combos or even kills.
Walling is okay, but it gets predictable, and you can expect him to start reacting and punishing accordingly if you put your eggs into one basket by playing a stereotypical FG Link/Tink.

Edit: How does Dark Pit not do well against Luigi? Down b his approaches (especially if he engages with fireballs), or even side b them to reflect the fireball, and punish him with an absurdly powerful move for the level of ease it is to land. Neutral B will keep Luigi under pressure and force him to engage. DP literally can't be gimped because he has very good recovery, and his air game is far from bad... You could even go deep against Luigi while he's trying to recover offstage without the risk of dying because your recovery is so good and safe.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
include: Mega Man, Sheik, Rosaluma and Samus, (They are true counters in that if played perfectly luigi literally has no chance of winning)..
Ehh...I don't think so. Matchup is only 55:45 Samus's favor if not even. Samus only has charge shot, zair, fair, and maybe uair on Luigi. Very doable. Wrong place to discuss this though I apologize but people keep saying this and I just don't believe it.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Edit: DI his downthrow INTO HIM at early percents. This limits his chop into jab or chain grab options, usually eating only one chop, or a uair/bair.
Usually, when I'm playing as Luigi, if someone DIs into me after a down throw, I do one chop and a back air (which is more powerful, anyway) so I don't know if that's a good idea. Maybe if you're playing a noob For Glory Luigi but not any Luigi that knows what they're doing.

Red Pittoo ~ Rekt

Smash Apprentice
Edit: How does Dark Pit not do well against Luigi? Down b his approaches (especially if he engages with fireballs), or even side b them to reflect the fireball, and punish him with an absurdly powerful move for the level of ease it is to land. Neutral B will keep Luigi under pressure and force him to engage. DP literally can't be gimped because he has very good recovery, and his air game is far from bad... You could even go deep against Luigi while he's trying to recover offstage without the risk of dying because your recovery is so good and safe.
Down b is so laggy. We should never use on as something as weak and fast as fireballs. Even if it is reflected the end lag of orbitars will get us punished 95% of the time if not all when it comes to that projectile. Side b also has endlag after hitting fireball. Side b reflects it at a 45 degree angle. Our recovery doesn't have a hitbox and can be stage spiked, but you're right when you say we virtually can't be gimped. DP has no way of getting past fireballs really and Dark Pit's punish game is one of his best assets, but with Luigi it is very hard to punish. We try so hard not to get grabbed it once we do, we lose momentum and you pretty much can get the percent lead off of one grab. Once he reads the DI you get up aired or down aired. Mixing up the DI is very dangerous because the only two ways to DI d throw that low percent is towards and away. A good TL knows how to play the character correctly unlike for glory Links who has obvious holes in play style. A walling TL against Luigi seems to be a dangerous thing for the Luigi till TL messes up. There really isn't much Luigi can do to a good wall other than wait then punish hard. Lucas is floaty enough to do combos but get out of them at the same time. But whiffing grab is just asking to get 20-50 percent or death. I've never really experienced any tornado spikes because as you said, no one quite has that mash. Beating Luigi is pretty much not getting grabbed and always getting his mistakes, and even when he does make them punishing is stupidly difficult. Cyclone is almost impossible to escape if the Luigi knows how to do it correctly. Luigi is just difficult. Him and Sonic are stupidly annoying and have very jank things they can do, and I feel mains of these characters don't understand how much of a chore these characters are. I can have momentum and avoid everything in a match then get grabbed or side b'd just to lose the lead or get even'd out. I don't want to give in to these two but stuff they do makes me just want to stop playing the game, you know? I would take a Sheik or Rosa over Luigi or Sonic, any tournament. I'm sorry for ranting and being an a**hole but I just get so frustrated at Luigi and myself at the same time. The sad part is you guys give me tips and I already know a lot of them already, but it is mostly just as hard.

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
Sounds to me then if you already knew how to beat luigi and you are still struggling, that you need to work on your fundamentals. Also if you sincerely believe that luigi and sonic are more annoying than sheik and rosaluma you srsly have never played a good sheik or rosaluma. I also doubt you've every had a match as annoying as one I had recently as luigi against a sheik. He took me to duck hunt and proceeded to spam needles and then run away from me and spam more needles. He was able to get away with it because I forgot to ban duck hunt. We've given you advice on how to beat luigi, but as I've already stated it sounds like matchup knowledge isn't the problem its lack of overall game experience. That will come with time and practice.

Red Pittoo ~ Rekt

Smash Apprentice
Sounds to me then if you already knew how to beat luigi and you are still struggling, that you need to work on your fundamentals. Also if you sincerely believe that luigi and sonic are more annoying than sheik and rosaluma you srsly have never played a good sheik or rosaluma. I also doubt you've every had a match as annoying as one I had recently as luigi against a sheik. He took me to duck hunt and proceeded to spam needles and then run away from me and spam more needles. He was able to get away with it because I forgot to ban duck hunt. We've given you advice on how to beat luigi, but as I've already stated it sounds like matchup knowledge isn't the problem its lack of overall game experience. That will come with time and practice.
It's the thing that, I can deal with Skilled Sheiks and Rosas, but a above average Luigi and Sonic will win. Probably my characters aren't fit for them? At least they keep me on my toes rather than just one basic boring Sonic or Luigi fight. Rosa is one of the characters I know how to deal with the most and I'm good with Sheik really, my Luigi and Sanic MU execution is probably just bad. I used to have a problem with Sheik and Rosa too but now it's only the problem that a skilled enough Sheik or Rosa gives me a hard time. I feel like I deserve it when things with those characters happen. When I get grabbed or side b'd and die out of no where, I feel it's not my fault

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
It's the thing that, I can deal with Skilled Sheiks and Rosas, but a above average Luigi and Sonic will win. Probably my characters aren't fit for them? At least they keep me on my toes rather than just one basic boring Sonic or Luigi fight. Rosa is one of the characters I know how to deal with the most and I'm good with Sheik really, my Luigi and Sanic MU execution is probably just bad. I used to have a problem with Sheik and Rosa too but now it's only the problem that a skilled enough Sheik or Rosa gives me a hard time. I feel like I deserve it when things with those characters happen. When I get grabbed or side b'd and die out of no where, I feel it's not my fault
All im saying is there is a reason there hasn't been a luigi in the top 3 of any major tournament this year. He just doesnt have the tools to beat any of the top tiers if they play perfectly.

D

Deleted member

If you are having trouble and you want to choose one of those two characters, I say Dark Pit is the better character. His neutral B is pretty effective against us and he has a good off-stage game, which is a glaring weakness for Luigi (forward air in particular has a safe enough range to hit Luigi during Cyclone and prevent his recovery).

For the best results against Luigi, I say that you should consider Mega Man. That character is Luigi's worst matchup because he prevents Luigi's punish game and his side smash is godly.
EDIT: But if you are dead set on the characters you've mentioned in the OP, I think Roy might be the best character from the bunch you've mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red Pittoo ~ Rekt

Smash Apprentice
If you are having trouble and you want to choose one of those two characters, I say Dark Pit is the better character. His neutral B is pretty effective against us and he has a good off-stage game, which is a glaring weakness for Luigi (forward air in particular has a safe enough range to hit Luigi during Cyclone and prevent his recovery).

For the best results against Luigi, I say that you should consider Mega Man. That character is Luigi's worst matchup because he prevents Luigi's punish game and his side smash is godly.
EDIT: But if you are dead set on the characters you've mentioned in the OP, I think Roy might be the best character from the bunch you've mentioned.
I played my Roy in a Luigi friendly and got bodied but that's probably cause I'm a bad Roy. I think Dark Pit can do it, I just need to practice A LOT more. One of the DP mains I am also discussing this with said that he thinks Dark Pit wins 45:55... Does any of you think he wins too? But about the Megaman thing, he's my least favorite character to play XD If you had to make a top three worst MU's for him between Dark Pit, Toon Link, Lucas, and Doc, how would that list look?

leesinger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yolo-swag420T.T
I played my Roy in a Luigi friendly and got bodied but that's probably cause I'm a bad Roy. I think Dark Pit can do it, I just need to practice A LOT more. One of the DP mains I am also discussing this with said that he thinks Dark Pit wins 45:55... Does any of you think he wins too? But about the Megaman thing, he's my least favorite character to play XD If you had to make a top three worst MU's for him between Dark Pit, Toon Link, Lucas, and Doc, how would that list look?
I mean there are no charachters in this game that are just flat out faceroll and win. So Its certainly possible to win the MU against luigi as Pit/Darkpit, but I still think it's in luigi's favor. Dark Pit can edgeguard luigi really well as his moves are all disjointed meaning he can literally just b-air luigi and even if luigi gets a misfire pit will still win the trade. Pit is also one of the best characters at preventing people from landing and luigi really struggles at landing already. Imo the MU is 55:45 in favor of luigi.

As to your second question the list in order from hardest to easiest matchups FOR luigi would be ToonLink, Lucas, DarkPit, Doc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom