• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I've been playing with the Wii Remote and Nunchuck all this time, and heard you could use the Classic Controller. "Oh, great! This will be much better!"

Then I realized you can't move and switch arts at the same time. :054:
I can, I just use what's called "the Claw Maneuver." :p

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
So... Just a thought but, I wonder if any professional smasher out there is actually interested on Shulk....
If I recall correctly, it was said earlier in the thread that Ken (the professional Smasher) didn't really like how Marth was nerfed, but was interested in how Shulk played.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
There is nothing I haven't been able to overcome by taking a more defensive setup. Light Heal and Air Slash, as well as various Monado Arts, are great for helping to keep Reyn (and thus your party) alive. Max out Light Heal first IMO.
2 Things : First i meant the first part of tephra(?)cave, where i didn't even have airslash >.< Also i sometimes get "stuck" in a buggy rotation where Reyn will never trigger the ability that knocks people down, at least not when i stagger somebody. And as for Monado arts , you only have those upon entering the cave the second time but you only have buster and enchant.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Anybody else find that he looked a bit weird in the CG portion of the trailer? Like... his face and hair looked off to me. Don't get me wrong, I love his character model, but something about the CG portion was strange to me.
I think it's just more the animation style looks a little different with their attempts to blend the characters in the cutscene together a bit better compared to the in game model which does probably match more what Shulk would look like if you were to apply a HD coat of paint on him.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I updated my Signature to be a cute little images of my mains (Everyone on the list if they were added) and predictions (Everyone but Shulk).
Shulk gets the honor of 1st place.

Last edited:

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Shulk confirmed. Has Monado abilities. Moves look pretty canon. Please excuse me while I...
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TTrain

Official Terminator Train
NNID
ThomasTerminator
3DS FC
4613-7026-8628
Shulk confirmed, Xenoblade Chronicles gets ported to the 3DS later...

This has been the best week of my life :D

Guess we have something to brag about to the Ridley and King K. Rool supporters :D

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Shulk confirmed. Has Monado abilities. Moves look pretty canon. Please excuse me while I...
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This seems like an appropriate time to post this.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
so here's a question you all think shulk will be a starter or a unlock

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
50/50 chances.
I don't think so, I think the E3 demos showed off the starting lineup. While I think we'll probably see Dedede, Mii Fighter and DDK as starters, Shulk seems to fit unlockable status, especially after the leaks saying you have to beat Classic on highest intensity with R.O.B.

D

Deleted member

so here's a question you all think shulk will be a starter or a unlock
I think starter. I saw a picture of the roster and everyone bar Lucina is there; everyone on the website is there from the beginning except for Lucina. So, Shulk is a starter!

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
NOPENOPENOPENOPE

I'm a great R.O.B., but unless :rob: gets a big-to-major buff and Shulk is absolutely worth it I AIN'T TOUCHING SHULK WITH A TEN FOOT MONADO
well if they go with what brawl did you could also do the (do X amount of matches or X amount of playtime) for shulk too

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
I think starter. I saw a picture of the roster and everyone bar Lucina is there; everyone on the website is there from the beginning except for Lucina. So, Shulk is a starter!
But but but, I can't beat max Intensity even with my main in Brawl, and I SUCK at R.O.B.!

*dreams crushed*

*withers*

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
Initial roster
....... I think
I don't think that all of these characters will be initial. Captain Falcon has always been unlockable in the past, same with Luigi. I also don't think Lucario is initial, two screenshots showing the online menu have for the For Glory picture a silhouetted image of Lucario and a visible one. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but it could "activate" when Lucario is unlocked.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
New signature! Thanks again to @ Solfiner Solfiner for making it.

I'M REALLY FEELING IT!

Would've so loved to put a Shulk Smash 4 icon by that... :(
I totes stole your signature layout btw. :p

I needed some of that Shulk goodness + Dunban.

kaydon_esker

Smash Apprentice
I don't think that all of these characters will be initial. Captain Falcon has always been unlockable in the past, same with Luigi. I also don't think Lucario is initial, two screenshots showing the online menu have for the For Glory picture a silhouetted image of Lucario and a visible one. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but it could "activate" when Lucario is unlocked.
...but Captain Falcon was a starting character in Melee...

Definitely agree that Shulk will probably be an unlockable character though, if only for the Monado Arts. Plus for the excitement of unlocking him :p

rogue_shade

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rogue_Shade
3DS FC
4210-4476-8602
I don't think that's the starting roster. It seems really weird to have all of the 3rd party characters as starters. Same with Luigi, Toon Link, and Jigglypuff.
I certainly hope it isn't. I like unlocking characters.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
Here's my idea of what will happen with the roster:

PS: This picture does to me show us at least that any character NOT on this list is almost 100% guaranteed to be unlockable. That means Ness is definitely remaining a secret character.

Last edited:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Here's my idea of what will happen with the roster:

PS: This picture does to me show us at least that any character NOT on this list is almost 100% guaranteed to be unlockable. That means Ness is definitely remaining a secret character.
Assuming all of your question marks are unlockable, then the number of starters including random would make 24, which could be symmetrical. This seems possible.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
Assuming all of your question marks are unlockable, then the number of starters including random would make 24, which could be symmetrical. This seems possible.
I put the question marks there as "not too sure", so they could be unlockable or starter and neither would surprise me.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I believe its the starting roster. You don't want to make the process of unlocking characters too overwhelming and starting rosters in Smash tend to be close to the final roster of the last game (Melee had 14 starters to the original's overall roster of 12 & Brawl had 25 starters to Melee's overall roster of 26 if you include transformation characters). Besides, why not include Lucina if its for promotion only?

D

Deleted member

I believe its the starting roster. You don't want to make the process of unlocking characters too overwhelming and starting rosters in Smash tend to be close to the final roster of the last game (Melee had 14 starters to the original's overall roster of 12 & Brawl had 25 starters to Melee's overall roster of 26 if you include transformation characters). Besides, why not include Lucina if its for promotion only?
I guess Lucina was revealed specifically for promotion and it would make sense to reveal her in the trailer alongside Robin since it was focused on Awakening and she is pretty popular. I guess the reason why she is unlockable is because she is a clone.

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
I remember that Sakurai said this game would have less characters total than Brawl a couple of years ago, so I don't think it'll have many more starters than Brawl, if even the same amount.

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
I remember that Sakurai said this game would have less characters total than Brawl a couple of years ago, so I don't think it'll have many more starters than Brawl, if even the same amount.
Really? Can you cite this, cause the leak has shown a much vaster character list than Brawl.

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
Totally agree with this. It makes sense for all the characters that have been revealed so far to be our starting roster (minus Lucina, of course) and the remainder to be unlockable. Okay well, to be fair, I'm pretty biased. I really want Shulk to be a starter 'cos I want as many people to have the opportunity to play as him and get to know him without any arbitrary conditions needing to be satisfied (and also because I want to play as him right away).

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
Really? Can you cite this, cause the leak has shown a much vaster character list than Brawl.
search for "SSB4 will have less characters than brawl" (without the quotes) (I can't put in a link 'till I have 10 posts apparently, oh well)

I can't find where he specifically said it, but apparently they can't put in many more characters than Brawl because of the 3DS's system constraints.

D

Deleted member

I doubt that leak about unlocking Shulk is real. Beat Classic Mode on the highest Intensity as R.O.B.? That's both very specific and very difficult. I doubt that any character will have difficult unlocking conditions like that.

search for "SSB4 will have less characters than brawl" (without the quotes) (I can't put in a link 'till I have 10 posts apparently, oh well)

I can't find where he specifically said it, but apparently they can't put in many more characters than Brawl because of the 3DS's system constraints.
That's not true. As of Shulk's reveal, we have over 40 characters, more than what Brawl has. I doubt that this is the end of them since it would be stupid to cut characters like Wario, Mr. Game & Watch, Ness, and Ganondorf (who was leaked by Nintendo). We also have that leak too that shows us that more are on the way.

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
*clears throat*

Ahem

50 minutes before the direct. I'm gonna pretend i'm pretty cool because of this.

0_0
You. Are. The coolest. Are you secretly Shulk, because you obviously had a Vision confirming that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom