• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
So it was only a month or so ago that Xenoblade was merely a name I'd heard, nothing more. On a whim, I decided to get my hands on a "copy" of the game to try it out, after seeing it in a list of "related games I might like" when I input Metroid Prime, which is my all-time favorite game. I read up that it contained lots of exploration, was an RPG, etc, and then I got a load of the visuals... Hoo man. I had to try it.

I'm about 13 hours in, exploring Satorl Marsh, and I'm loving this game so far. Definitely goes in my top 5, kinda making me debate on my placement of Cave Story and Bravely Default. I'm also really glad Shulk's made it to Smash 4. It's one of those things I'd only imagine would happen in my dreams: a unique, new franchise that appeals to my scifi, RPG, exploration, character/story, and adventure love being put into the latest Smash game? This is truly a glorious time for me. I've been hoping Smash would get more scifi characters, and I'm always glad to see new franchises being represented, so overall I'm really excited, on top of all the other characters revealed I'd love to play as.

Awlright, I'm feeling it!
you lucky dog. You get to enjoy a fantastic game while waiting for another fantastic game

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
That makes me wish that the 3DS didn't hold the Wii U version back so much, I wish it had their own unique roster so people will have to pick up both to play as all of the characters.
There's not really any evidence to support that notion, there's no evidence to suggest that if the 3DS version didn't exist that they would do more with the Wii U version, at best they probably would have done something similar and released it sooner rather then spend more time on it.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I remember seeing this trailer for a Japanese RPG from Monolithsoft and thinking that this would never come to the states:

Look at how rough the game looked! Look at that EARLY Shulk model! I also remember thinking though, that it would be cool if we got a JRPG protagonist like this in Smash.
That trailer. Oh man. Fiora looks SOOOO different. Dem pig tails. I wouldn't have minded that...*cough*...And, the face models look better than in the final game. Also, can we just talk about how BAMF Shulk's Up Smash is. I didn't see it before the GIF because the footage went too fast, but hot DAWG that looks cool.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Best part of Shulk's move set so far are his smash attacks (Up, down, and side...if the side is his smash and not a special. It's funny, it's an awesome smash attack but it would be a terrible special.)

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I remember seeing this trailer for a Japanese RPG from Monolithsoft and thinking that this would never come to the states:

Alpha Shulk looks quite disturbing. And Dunban was seemingly going to join your party very early on. That would've been awesome!

Last edited:

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
I'm not going to believe that recent leak due to the person basically saying Shulk's FS is Monado Buster.

People have already identified Monado Buster to be one of the Kanji that was flipped through. I think not all the Kanji will be stat changes, but actual attacks since Cyclone was spotted in there as well.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
It didn't.

(I wish I could go to character threads without having to read crap about the 3DS version of the game).
Why did you make it sound like I'm hating on the 3DS version of smash I'm getting both versions of Smash, I hate how characters are getting remove, most of the characters from the other smash game that transform or some of their projectiles are change because of the 3DS limitations. like King DDD can only use gold spikes and Olimar can only hold 3 Pikmin now.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I'm not a mod or anything but can we please focus this thread on Shulk or Xenoblade related content? The 3ds and other character discussion is out of place and irritating here.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Why did you make it sound like I'm hating on the 3DS version of smash I'm getting both versions of Smash, I hate how characters are getting remove, most of the characters from the other smash game that transform or some of their projectiles are change because of the 3DS limitations. like King DDD can only use gold spikes and Olimar can only hold 3 Pikmin now.
I've never seen anything to suggest that the 3DS was the reason for removing those particular features.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146

Look at how rough the game looked! Look at that EARLY Shulk model! I also remember thinking though, that it would be cool if we got a JRPG protagonist like this in Smash.
OH GOD SHULK'S EYES. ;_;

D

Deleted member

Hey guys! We're rating Shulk in Rate Their Chances today!

Do people remember how and when they first heard about Xenoblade Chronicles?
I remember reading about it in Nintendo Power. I recall them talking about two titans fighting in a battle, how they went into slumber after the battle, and how life inhabited afterwards.
I found out about Rainfall in 2012 and when I saw the game finally get released, I thought, "Hey! It's one of the Rainfall games! That's cool! I wonder if the rest will come!"

I am just going to say that I am not a huge fan of Shulk's early design. I dunno why... it kinda bothers me to be honest. Perhaps I am used to Shulk's new design or I like him as a younger character?
I always thought that it would have been cool if Shulk got in Smash. It made so much sense to me even before I played Xenoblade.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Can someone explain to me all the attacks seen please?
These are guesses made by myself for the most part.

Jab - a quick punch. Possibly part of a 1-2-3 combo
Up-Smash - Shulk plants Monado's hilt in the ground, then the blade extends upwards
Down-Smash - Shulk swipes the Monado around himself and spins around a few times
Up-tilt - Shulk swipes the Monado above himself in a short arc covering the space above himself

Not sure on move-set placement
Side-Special? - Shulk stabs the Monado forward? No yellow flash, but may have been used before charging
Down-Air? - Shulk swings the Monado beneath himself in a similar fasion of Ike.
Neutral-Air? - Shulk swipes the Monado below him similar to Meta Knight's down-air
Side-tilt/Smash?- Swings the Monado in a horizontal arc in front of himself. Stream Edge, it seems.

Specials
Down-Special - reactionary move. Likely a counter. Speculated to be Shadow Eye
Up-Special - Air Slash. Swings Monado upwards in an arc like Marth's Dolphin Slash
Neutral-Special: Cycles through "stances/modes". Affects not clearly known

EDIT: using info from @ erico9001 erico9001 for clarification

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Has anybody actually matched up the Kanji seen in the video to specific Monado arts?

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Has anybody actually matched up the Kanji seen in the video to specific Monado arts?
I don't remember who said it, but apparently it's: "Enchant, Armour, Speed, Eater" In no specific order. I don't know if a fifth one was shown.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Someone said they saw Buster but I find that unlikely. Hmm, I'm trying to match them up now.

Also, I wonder if eater adds a dot effect to his attacks like I speculated months ago. The others seem obvious.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
You know, that makes me think. What would Kirby's copy ability even be?
Depends on the exact layout of the moves. If B really does change the symbols, like theorized here, I'd have to assume they would attach Kirby's ability to a side B similar to what is done with Olimar.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Ugh, now that you mention it, the absolute WORST part of this move set is that Kirby is not going to be saying "Monado _____!"

He will likely get the buff mechanic, but simplified, maybe one-three buffs.

Ynikoma

Smash Rookie
Wow, I just made a video about this and I'm uploading it to Youtube right now. I'll post a link in about 30 minutes, when it's uploaded it.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Starter most likely. He's a pretty relevant and popular character. Unlockables are for characters who are clones, characters who haven't an installment in a while, or are old retro character, in this case, Shulk is none of them.
"B-but he's only from one game! He's a boring anime looking character and doesn't deserve a spot on the roster! Where's my Ridley?!"

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Do people remember how and when they first heard about Xenoblade Chronicles?

I remember casually coming across a preview of it in a magazine and just being taken aback. At first I didn't know what to think (I don't think I even knew it was a Nintendo IP at the time I bought it.) but then I started following Operation Rainfall and became even more excited for it.

I really must finish it, but my Wii is out of action. :(
I'm pretty sure the first time I heard about it was back in fall of 2011, Shulk was in @Ninjendo's signature on another forum. I'm not sure if I knew what game he was from back then, but I remember the Satorl Marsh background really sticking out to me (leading to a big "Oooooooh, THIS is the place!" moment when I finally played Xenoblade almost a year later). I don't think I knew the name of the game until Chugga mentioned that they announced Xenoblade was coming to America the day before he was going to buy a European Wii to play it.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
-Shulk stands stands still in a very similar way to how he does in Xenoblade
-Shulk jumps the same way he does in Xenoblade
-edit: It's hard to tell, but I think he might have the same run too
(can see both in this gif)

-Slit Edge

-Stream edge

-Shadow Eye

-Air Slash

-SEVERAL Monado Arts

We are not yet sure what they all are, but here's some of my speculation
I took some images from the game of the various Monado arts to be selected fm. I'm sure some of them are repeated, but the images are blurry so I can't tell.
Enchant
Buster
Shield
Speed
Purge
Armour
Cyclone
Eater

First and last images appear to be cyclone

Third to last is Buster

Bottom left corner and third one is speed

I think this might be Enchant

Enchant

Shield?

No idea about the rest. You guys might be able to figure it out though.
So much more Xenoblade in this moveset than I would have expected. There are also a lot of moves we haven't seen yet, along with the final smash.

Last edited:

♦ Neosquid ♦

Smash Apprentice
The 3DS version supposedly has Guar Plains as the Xenoblade stage, last I checked. I wonder what Xenoblade stage the Wii U version will have? Hopefully somefin like Eryth Sea or Satorl Marsh. While Guar Plains is certainly pretty, it's not the most beautiful place in the game.

"B-but he's only from one game! He's a boring anime looking character and doesn't deserve a spot on the roster! Where's my Ridley?!"
hey now, #teamShulk has Ridley supporters too.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
OI! Ridley supporter here, and 90% of us didn't say any such thing. You propably went "But he's too big!" on our asses more than we did say anything against Shulk together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom