• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
EDIT: Sorry for the double post, thread hoping and not paying attention.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I wouldn't take "it didn't happen in Brawl" as a reason to prove or disprove anything.

I want a Metal Face Kart. Just slap his face on a Mario Kart. Someone get our gif people in here. Where's @ Solfiner Solfiner
Mumkhart.png

Mum khart.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
AHHHH. WHY DOES THAT HAVE TO BE IN SPOILERS!

Everyone should get to see that! Fantastic, A+ job.
Well, it's actual spoilers. As awesome as it is, don't open it until you've made it past Valak Mountain guys.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Yes, like what @ MooseSmuggler MooseSmuggler said, it's actual spoilers and I didn't mean that it shouldn't be in spoilers.... because clearly that's where it belongs.

I just think it's fantastic and want more people to see it! So go beat Xenoblade and then come back!

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2epo5v/4chan_user_potentially_leaks_interesting/

Oh look another leak.
The only Shulk parts are: To Unlock: Shulk complete Smash Run on the highest intensity while playing as R.O.B. OR complete classic mode once as each newcomer (rosalina, palutena, robin, lucina, little mac, greninja, villager, wii fit trainer)

Final Smash:Shulk's sword extends out to 2 or 3 times its size and he does a huge overhead slash

Moveset:Up special is air slash, like dolphin slash but he only attacks at the height of it instead of while rising up. Neutral special is Monado Cycle. switches the kanji in the blade to buff his attributes temporarily. You press B and the symbol appears behind him. If you don't press it again he keeps that one, if you press B it cycles to the next one. Speed up-attack damage up-defense up. Down special is a prediction counter. Side Special is back slash, he stabs forward and pulses the blade. does more damage if the enemy is facing the other way
Fake as hell there is no way to be able to unlock characters for a game that is not finish, and Isabelle part it's fake Isabelle is a AT so she can't be a playable character.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Fake as hell there is no way to be able to unlock characters for a game that is not finish, and Isabelle part it's fake Isabelle is a AT so she can't be a playable character.
Toon Link can't be a playable character, he is part of a stage. :054:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Toon Link can't be a playable character, he is part of a stage. :054:
But that Toon Link is not the same Toon Link and they replace him when you play as Toon Link on that stage, so who will they replace Isabelle with.

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
So it was only a month or so ago that Xenoblade was merely a name I'd heard, nothing more. On a whim, I decided to get my hands on a "copy" of the game to try it out, after seeing it in a list of "related games I might like" when I input Metroid Prime, which is my all-time favorite game. I read up that it contained lots of exploration, was an RPG, etc, and then I got a load of the visuals... Hoo man. I had to try it.

I'm about 13 hours in, exploring Satorl Marsh, and I'm loving this game so far. Definitely goes in my top 5, kinda making me debate on my placement of Cave Story and Bravely Default. I'm also really glad Shulk's made it to Smash 4. It's one of those things I'd only imagine would happen in my dreams: a unique, new franchise that appeals to my scifi, RPG, exploration, character/story, and adventure love being put into the latest Smash game? This is truly a glorious time for me. I've been hoping Smash would get more scifi characters, and I'm always glad to see new franchises being represented, so overall I'm really excited, on top of all the other characters revealed I'd love to play as.

Awlright, I'm feeling it!

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So it was only a month or so ago that Xenoblade was merely a name I'd heard, nothing more. On a whim, I decided to get my hands on a "copy" of the game to try it out, after seeing it in a list of "related games I might like" when I input Metroid Prime, which is my all-time favorite game. I read up that it contained lots of exploration, was an RPG, etc, and then I got a load of the visuals... Hoo man. I had to try it.

I'm about 13 hours in, exploring Satorl Marsh, and I'm loving this game so far. Definitely goes in my top 5, kinda making me debate on my placement of Cave Story and Bravely Default. I'm also really glad Shulk's made it to Smash 4. It's one of those things I'd only imagine would happen in my dreams: a unique, new franchise that appeals to my scifi, RPG, exploration, character/story, and adventure love being put into the latest Smash game? This is truly a glorious time for me. I've been hoping Smash would get more scifi characters, and I'm always glad to see new franchises being represented, so overall I'm really excited, on top of all the other characters revealed I'd love to play as.

Awesome! Welcome aboard the Xenoblade hype train.

@BluePikmin11, new supporter here!

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So far the only moves that I know of Shulk (based on the leaked videos) are the Monado Speed and his recovery move, Air Slash.
Slit edge seems to be his Side smash too.

yoonb

Smash Journeyman
Wow those gifs are really nice. That U smash is sick and it looks like the Vision/Counter/Shadow Eye move has the same effects as the Burst Affinity as it does in th gqmes. Really liking the aesthetics.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Wow those gifs are really nice. That U smash is sick and it looks like the Vision/Counter/Shadow Eye move has the same effects as the Burst Affinity as it does in th gqmes. Really liking the aesthetics.
The Monado effects look awesome in Smash. Imagine it in HD... Can't wait for the trailer.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Do people remember how and when they first heard about Xenoblade Chronicles?

I remember casually coming across a preview of it in a magazine and just being taken aback. At first I didn't know what to think (I don't think I even knew it was a Nintendo IP at the time I bought it.) but then I started following Operation Rainfall and became even more excited for it.

I really must finish it, but my Wii is out of action. :(

Last edited:

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
Oh, I just noticed the supporter counter in the OP. You can add me to that!

Also, as for the GIFs on the last page, I was originally worried about Shulk's moveset being unique from Marth's/Roy's/etc, but upon closer examination of all his double hit stuff and just the nature of his moves, it feels like he could shape up to be one of the most diverse and unique characters to date. It all depends on a few things:

Kill power: It's hard to judge so soon, but from the looks of things, his only kill moves are his normals. He might have Brawl Samus' problem of being very good but lacking kill power. I'll have to look more into that for %s, etc in the leak videos. Neutral B: If this allows you to select multiple arts, it might mean Shulk can change how he plays on a whim. If you need speed for a difficult matchup, use neutral B. If you need power, hopefully there's a Monado art for that. I only have a few of his Monado arts in my game right now, so I'm not entirely sure what to expect yet. Down B: If this is simply a vision/counter, it'll be a little disappointing since Marth, Lucina, Little Mac, Lucario (as well as veterans like Roy) have all had counters. Something more original like Shadow Eye please? Oh well. If it is, it has killing potential, I guess?

Right now, I'm just worried about how he'll fare in the tiers... Anyone have some thoughts on that?

Last edited:

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman

I remember casually coming across a preview of it in a magazine and just being taken aback. At first I didn't know what to think (I don't think I even knew it was a Nintendo IP at the time I bought it.) but then I started following Operation Rainfall and became even more excited for it.

Official Nintendo Magazine. I read the review, thought it looked meh, ignored it.

Then Chuggaaconroy started a Let's Play of it, and he's already introduced me to games I never thought I'd like (Kid Icarus specifically, I'm a big Starfox fan but didn't notice the similarities), so I gave it a go... and was very pleasantly surprised.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

Also, as for the GIFs on the last page, I was originally worried about Shulk's moveset being unique from Marth's/Roy's/etc, but upon closer examination of all his double hit stuff and just the nature of his moves, it feels like he could shape up to be one of the most diverse and unique characters to date. It all depends on a few things:

Kill power: It's hard to judge so soon, but from the looks of things, his only kill moves are his normals. He might have Brawl Samus' problem of being very good but lacking kill power. I'll have to look more into that for %s, etc in the leak videos. Neutral B: If this allows you to select multiple arts, it might mean Shulk can change how he plays on a whim. If you need speed for a difficult matchup, use neutral B. If you need power, hopefully there's a Monado art for that. I only have a few of his Monado arts in my game right now, so I'm not entirely sure what to expect yet. Down B: If this is simply a vision/counter, it'll be a little disappointing since Marth, Lucina, Little Mac, Lucario (as well as veterans like Roy) have all had counters. Something more original like Shadow Eye please? Oh well. If it is, it has killing potential, I guess?

Right now, I'm just worried about how he'll fare in the tiers... Anyone have some thoughts on that?
I'd say that his placement fully depends on how good the modes/stances are. If all of them are above average, he is easily pretty high imo.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172

I'm sure we all have Xenoblade purchase stories :laugh: first I heard of it was about two months before release in Australia (where I am). Probably in an Official Nintendo Magazine. Looked like a mix of Monster Hunter and Final Fantasy - that should be good by anyone's books so I decided to keep an eye on it. About two weeks before release, I heard all the US uproar about not getting a release date. Immediately pre-ordered out of spite. (For once, we weren't the ones getting screwed over!) On release, I had to pick the game up at about 6PM because of uni... they'd only stocked the single copy of the game that I preordered, and had it sitting on the shelf for the whole day. (Well done, EB. Great job.)

Best purchase ever, within two weeks I knew Shulk was my most-wanted newcomer for Smash Bros., and after I finished it I decided that Xenoblade was my favourite game of all-time. Not a perfect game, but pretty damn close. Certainly ticked every box for something I'd look for in a game. Tried to convince all my gamer friends to buy it and I either got laughed at for not being part of the PC Master Race, got laughed at for playing the Wii, or got judgement calls on the game from people who had never heard of it prior. Their loss :p Xenoblade's a masterpiece and I'll be the one laughing all the way to the Smash battlefield.

Last edited:

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman

Xenoblade Chronicles X is what got me to buy Xenoblade Chronicles, and there were no regrets

yoonb

Smash Journeyman

I don't think that will be a problem. We've seen Shulk use Monado Enchant to buff his moves. To what extent, we still don't know. Racking up damage shouldn't be a problem either because it looks like he has tons of range. More range than even Martth.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

I remember seeing this trailer for a Japanese RPG from Monolithsoft and thinking that this would never come to the states:

Look at how rough the game looked! Look at that EARLY Shulk model! I also remember thinking though, that it would be cool if we got a JRPG protagonist like this in Smash.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I remember seeing this trailer for a Japanese RPG from Monolithsoft and thinking that this would never come to the states:

Look at how rough the game looked! Look at that EARLY Shulk model! I also remember thinking though, that it would be cool if we got a JRPG protagonist like this in Smash.
Man Fiora looks a lot different from the time that trailer was made and Now, those pony tails and that lack of sleep Shulk with the bags under his eyes and that chin.
If that leak is real; let's just say I'm loving how Shulk looks and seemingly plays. WHat's the name of his supposed stage again?
Think it was gaur plains.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
If that leak is real; let's just say I'm loving how Shulk looks and seemingly plays. WHat's the name of his supposed stage again?
Probably Bionis' Leg.
Slight chance of being called Gaur Plains. (The Bionis' Leg has several areas, of which Gaur Plains is one. The theme music of the Bionis' Leg is actually named Gaur Plains.)

Man Fiora looks a lot different from the time that trailer was made and Now, those pony tails and that lack of sleep Shulk with the bags under his eyes and that chin.

Think it was gaur plains.
Fun fact: That purple shirt/shorts of hers is actually obtainable in Xenoblade. If you complete the first Emmy Leater quest (The Young Captain's Request? Needs you to track down Miller), you're given three parts of Dyed Clothing (only way to obtain it). On everyone else, this looks like regular armour. On Fiora only, it appears as the purple clothing.
Obviously, they can only be equipped before the raid on Colony 9. She can't equip Bionis armour once she rejoins.

Edit: Pics.
017.JPG

I think they forgot to make her jewelry get darker in the water.
020.JPG

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The Monado effects look awesome in Smash. Imagine it in HD... Can't wait for the trailer.
I'm actually kind of happy that the leak was on the 3DS, so that my first exposure to Shulk's HD moveset will be via official trailer.

Speaking of which, I need that trailer. Now. For moveset clarification if nothing else.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579

Lovin the fact that Dunban's model never changes for some reason.

As for Shulk...the part at the beginning with Shulk holding the Manado in the lab, was that when the producer originally wanted Shulk to become "one with the Manado?" Interesting.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Regardless; if it's real I'll be pretty happy; I still think he hasn't unlocked four characters:
Ice Climbers
Lucas/Wolf/Dixie Kong/RH rep (2 of these)
Mewtwo
I think Icies are gone, no reason for them to be unlockables.

It would be hard to pick from the rest.... personal preference (not what I think will happen) would be Mewtwo, Lucas, Dixe, and Wolf. RH rep would be rad, though.

I'm pretty happy with the roster as is anyway. (WE GOT SHULK!)

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

It would be hard to pick from the rest.... personal preference (not what I think will happen) would be Mewtwo, Lucas, Dixe, and Wolf. RH rep would be rad, though.

If Ice Climbers are TRULY gone, why is there still an enemy from there series? Sakurai is Sakurai; he does what no one expects. There's also still a 50-50 shot it could be fake as well. Why would DHD be added while cutting a major veteran?

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Probably Bionis' Leg.
Slight chance of being called Gaur Plains. (The Bionis' Leg has several areas, of which Gaur Plains is one. The theme music of the Bionis' Leg is actually named Gaur Plains.)

Fun fact: That purple shirt/shorts of hers is actually obtainable in Xenoblade. If you complete the first Emmy Leater quest (The Young Captain's Request? Needs you to track down Miller), you're given three parts of Dyed Clothing (only way to obtain it). On everyone else, this looks like regular armour. On Fiora only, it appears as the purple clothing.
Obviously, they can only be equipped before the raid on Colony 9. She can't equip Bionis armour once she rejoins.
That's good to know, too bad I have to start a new game to get to see it. :(

I happy that we will get Shulk even if the leak killed the hype, I can see it's going to be hard to play as him though but I will get pass that because I like him so much.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
If Ice Climbers are TRULY gone, why is there still an enemy from there series? Sakurai is Sakurai; he does what no one expects. There's also still a 50-50 shot it could be fake as well. Why would DHD be added while cutting a major veteran?
Technical reasons. Sakurai may have added the bears in when he was still trying to get the Ice Climbers to work, but decided not to remove them even after he was unable to make the Ice Climbers viable. I'd still like them to be in, and they may still be in. I wouldn't even mind if they went down to one Icie with an occasional summon of the other for specific moves, but I just don't think it's going to happen.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
That's good to know, too bad I have to start a new game to get to see it. :(

I happy that we will get Shulk even if the leak killed the hype, I can see it's going to be hard to play as him though but I will get pass that because I like him so much.
Added some pics to that post.
But yeah, same case for me. Even worse, I didn't realise until I'd started New Game+, where I was cleaning up quests and discarding all the terrible armour and gems I was being given as rewards. My bad.

I think the leak has killed the hype but as someone mentioned earlier, we haven't seen HD Shulk yet. That'd be amazing. I was always against a stance-swap Shulk because Smash prides itself on being straightforward yet unique with its characters. Whatever though, I'm more than happy to deal with it.

Link_enfant

Smash Apprentice
What if Isabelle can't be found as an assist when at least one player is using her in battle to avoid confusion ?
Well that may sound stupid but I want this leak to be true.
As for the confirmed leak, it kinda killed the hype at first but I'm getting over it, the hype's slowly coming back and I can't wait for the final trailer and other news. I also hope the roster is huge, even it it means having many clones.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Technical reasons. Sakurai may have added the bears in when he was still trying to get the Ice Climbers to work, but decided not to remove them even after he was unable to make the Ice Climbers viable. I'd still like them to be in, and they may still be in. I wouldn't even mind if they went down to one Icie with an occasional summon of the other for specific moves, but I just don't think it's going to happen.
But may I ask how they wouldn't work? If Rosalina & Luma and Pikmin & Olimar can work; so can Ice Climbers.

Refardless, seeing Shulk and the IC duke it out would make my day.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
That makes me wish that the 3DS didn't hold the Wii U version back so much, I wish it had their own unique roster so people will have to pick up both to play as all of the characters.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm not going to argue about non-Xenoblade characters in the Shulk thread anymore, as it's not really the place. Tag me else where if you want to keep talking about it.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
That makes me wish that the 3DS didn't hold the Wii U version back so much
It didn't.

(I wish I could go to character threads without having to read crap about the 3DS version of the game).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom