• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I'm at Valak Mountain right now. My entire team is Level 45, and I'm going to the bottom of the mountain as said by the plot. Strange thing is, I'm having a lot more difficulty with Valak Mountain than I have in any other portions of the game so far. I haven't avoided grinding, and I've done a good chunk of sidequests. The enemies aren't completely wrecking me, but despite the fact that I'm around the same level as them, I'm having MUCH more difficulty with battles. In fact, in a battle with a same level (45) enemy, my entire team except for Dunban fainted, and I BARELY finished off the enemy with him. Is Valak Mountain just a difficulty spike in general?
Here's my current team, should I shuffle it around or should I just grind a bit?
Dunban - Shulk - Melia
It is a difficulty spike actually. I would advice you to get to at least lvl 48-49 before you progress.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
How about an event called "No ordinary swordsmen" where you have to fight Robin and Shulk? I would throw Isaac in too, if makes it in as playable.
I can't be the only one who wants to see a battle between Robin and Shulk, right?

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I just had an interesting mechanic idea for Shulk that I haven't seen tossed around before.

How about in Smash 4 there is a different hitbox for if Shulk hits the opponents with the metal part of the sword instead of the blade of energy part. It is like how Marth is most powerful at the tip but to a larger extent. This would make sense, and would help balance out the long reach I think the Monado would have.
-
I'm at Valak Mountain right now. My entire team is Level 45, and I'm going to the bottom of the mountain as said by the plot. Strange thing is, I'm having a lot more difficulty with Valak Mountain than I have in any other portions of the game so far. I haven't avoided grinding, and I've done a good chunk of sidequests. The enemies aren't completely wrecking me, but despite the fact that I'm around the same level as them, I'm having MUCH more difficulty with battles. In fact, in a battle with a same level (45) enemy, my entire team except for Dunban fainted, and I BARELY finished off the enemy with him. Is Valak Mountain just a difficulty spike in general?
Here's my current team, should I shuffle it around or should I just grind a bit?
Dunban - Shulk - Melia
Is Dunban your tank? Is he not working? If so, maybe try Reyn instead. Since Melia and Shulk are rather fragile, you would need a good tank to balance it out. Shulk+Melia have good enough healing arts I think :x

I never found myself needing to grind until the end of the game so it might be the team. If you try different approaches and still aren't finding much success then grind some levels I guess.

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Dunban - Shulk - Melia
I don't use Melia that much because most of her moves seem are duffs or debuffs and don't do much damage and have you try to level up your moves with ap? after I did that it helps a little.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
I just had an interesting mechanic idea for Shulk that I haven't seen tossed around before.

How about in Smash 4 there is a different hitbox for if Shulk hits the opponents with the metal part of the sword instead of the blade of energy part. It is like how Marth is most powerful at the tip but to a larger extent. This would make sense, and would help balance out the long reach I think the Monado would have.
-

Is Dunban your tank? Is he not working? If so, maybe try Reyn instead. Since Melia and Shulk are rather fragile, you would need a good tank to balance it out. Shulk+Melia have good enough healing arts I think :x

I never found myself needing to grind until the end of the game so it might be the team. If you try different approaches and still aren't finding much success then grind some levels I guess.
I'll try a Dunban - Reyn - Melia setup.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
I'll try a Dunban - Reyn - Melia setup.
Melia is AMAZING, but only if you control her. Her AI is sadly pretty crap. If you've already gotten to Ose Tower and are now progressing to the bottom of the mountain, then I'd definitely advise getting to level 48-49.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I don't use Melia that much because most of her moves seem are duffs or debuffs and don't do much damage and have you try to level up your moves with ap? after I did that it helps a little.
Summon bolt is pretty powerful, but her other attacks do damage over time which I guess could be bad in some instances, such as when the battles don't last very long.

You know what... I think I might replay Xenoblade from level one while I wait for smash 4 to come out.
-
It is a difficulty spike actually. I would advice you to get to at least lvl 48-49 before you progress.
Melia is AMAZING, but only if you control her. Her AI is sadly pretty crap. If you've already gotten to Ose Tower and are now progressing to the bottom of the mountain, then I'd definitely advise getting to level 48-49.
Yeah, this might be a good idea. I don't remember much from that area anyways.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
Guess I'll take control of her, then. She's not my BEST character, but when I play her, she suddenly seems to be a hell of a lot better than AI Melia.
Anyway, haven't gotten to Ose Tower yet. I'm actually going towards that tower right now. I just didn't know what it was called because ALVIS NEVER TOLD ME.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Guess I'll take control of her, then. She's not my BEST character, but when I play her, she suddenly seems to be a hell of a lot better than AI Melia.
Anyway, haven't gotten to Ose Tower yet. I'm actually going towards that tower right now. I just didn't know what it was called because ALVIS NEVER TOLD ME.
There are some pretty easy monster quests in Valak that you should probably pick up if you're underleveled, there's no reason not to. Don't worry, you can't miss 'em, all but one of them are given from Nopon in landmarks you're required to pass by in order to progress.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
You can get Dunban's 4th skill branch after a story quest in that area, just go back to the entrance from Makna Forest with Dunban as lead and one of the Nopon should give it.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
You can get Dunban's 4th skill branch after a story quest in that area, just go back to the entrance from Makna Forest with Dunban as lead and one of the Nopon should give it.
That Nopon is actually at the research camp on the bottom level, not the group at the entrance.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
4th... skill branch?
I thought they were only 3.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
4th... skill branch?
You get the 4th one for each character through quests specific to them being in the lead, sometimes having to have affinity with an area at around 3 stars. The 5th one for everyone is impossible to get until much later in the game.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
4th... skill branch?
On top of what those above me have said, I'd also recommend going back to colony 9 to grind some quests until you get the one for Shulk's fourth branch, Pessimism. It has some useful skills which help to keep his aggro low, and the final skill in the tree also helps to prevent debuffs.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I also want to say, don't be afraid to have Sharla in your party if things are going rough for you at any point. She is a very inefficient character, but she can still help you power through tougher fights - especially if you aren't very good at gem optimization (or have just never taken the time out to get better at it.)

Last edited:

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
On top of what those above me have said, I'd also recommend going back to colony 9 to grind some quests until you get the one for Shulk's fourth branch, Pessimism. It has some useful skills which help to keep his aggro low, and the final skill in the tree also helps to prevent debuffs.
Hmm. I'll try that for Shulk.
Didn't even know all of this stuff 'cause I wanted to play through the game without a guide. But I'll do it anyway. I just want to reach another landmark first for easy traveling later.
But for now, it's bedtime for me.
'Night.

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
hello friends

I'm not saying I made an account here just for the sake of Shulk speculation but

I made an account here just for the sake of Shulk speculation

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
hello friends

I'm not saying I made an account here just for the sake of Shulk speculation but

I made an account here just for the sake of Shulk speculation
Well, you're not in luck here. Most of us go to sleep around now unless you're an insomniac like me and it'd may as well be the Xenoblade discussion group
...But still, welcome!

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
Well, you're not in luck here. Most of us go to sleep around now unless you're an insomniac like me and it'd may as well be the Xenoblade discussion group
...But still, welcome!
that's good too bro I haven't had anyone to talk to about Xenoblade in forever

I'm not an insomniac but I do stay up unreasonably late.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I'm no Shulk fan, not really a fan of anime pretty boys in general... I feel we already have plenty of those. But I see Shulk as very likely, especially with how Nintendo is now making a franchise out of Xenoblade by keeping the name going for the Wii U sequel. Before then, I shrugged away Shulk as if he was a one-off... and even if he as a character is still a one-off, the franchise of Xenoblade itself isn't, and therefore is worthy of a playable rep, just as games like F-zero, Star Fox, Earthbound, and Pikmin were when they first got characters in Smash.

I still can't stand the character though... He just looks so generic to me (as do the Fire Emblem characters). It just isn't my style, so you won't see me celebrating his reveal.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
that's good too bro I haven't had anyone to talk to about Xenoblade in forever

I'm not an insomniac but I do stay up unreasonably late.
Don't worry, I'll always be here at this time complaining about time zones.

Also, Xenoblade characters don't need to sleep. They can just run around all night and be completely fine. Sleep is for the weak, weak and pathetic!

Hmm. I'll try that for Shulk.
Didn't even know all of this stuff 'cause I wanted to play through the game without a guide. But I'll do it anyway. I just want to reach another landmark first for easy traveling later.
But for now, it's bedtime for me.
'Night.
Just go explore a bit, clean up a few quests and come back to it. That's what I did whenever I felt underlevelled.

Last edited:

TheFearsomeRyan

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry, I'll always be here at this time complaining about time zones.

Also, Xenoblade characters don't need to sleep. They can just run around all night and be completely fine. Sleep is for the weak, weak and pathetic!
adventure never sleeps

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
I'm no Shulk fan, not really a fan of anime pretty boys in general... I feel we already have plenty of those. But I see Shulk as very likely, especially with how Nintendo is now making a franchise out of Xenoblade by keeping the name going for the Wii U sequel. Before then, I shrugged away Shulk as if he was a one-off... and even if he as a character is still a one-off, the franchise of Xenoblade itself isn't, and therefore is worthy of a playable rep, just as games like F-zero, Star Fox, Earthbound, and Pikmin were when they first got characters in Smash.

I still can't stand the character though... He just looks so generic to me (as do the Fire Emblem characters). It just isn't my style, so you won't see me celebrating his reveal.
Sir, Shulk is no generic anime character. Besides the fact that he wields a friggin' lightsaber sword that grants buffs and debuffs out the wazoo as well as showing him the future, he's a scientist, thinks things through, is generally a nice and not annoying guy, and has some great character development. Of course, anyone in this thread could probably explain things better than me, as I firmly believe that words are hawd.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman

I feel you man, I'm pretty sick of anime characters and pretty boys too.
Good thing Shulk is neither!

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I meant he's generic looking, I'm sure his skillset is unique (though I'm not sure how time travel/future prediction would work in a multiplayer fighting game, or how a lightsaber sword is anything new to Smash).

Just looking at his face though, there's nothing about him that stands out. The sword, the Monado, is very unique looking however.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Guess who couldn't go to sleep--
A detractor? How long has it been since we've had one of those? I'll make this quick. If you don't see the appeal, you obviously haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles and will see the appeal when he's inevitably revealed.
EDIT: I just wasted another milestone post didn't I.
Well shoot.
*sigh*
maybe I'll remember post #2000

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Besides, Shulk has a British accent! Can you name one other likely Smash Bros. candidate who has a British accent? Didn't think so.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I own the game and have played it a little, but generally Anime/RPG games aren't my thing, so I don't think I'll ever see the appeal.

Again though, I expect the character, and based on how Nintendo is treating the Xenoblade franchise I actually want the character, it's only fair after all when other characters have gotten in with similar treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom