• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
"Few special surprises" doesn't mean that Shulk will be announced. Could mean, "Hey, Sakurai is here" or "Hey, this specific competitive player is back".

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
that's pretty much what happen to me since robin was my 2nd hope for smash I was so mad lucina got in but then I seen Elwind and I slammed my keyboard and shouted NO WAY! and I screamed when I seen him
Speaking of which, I'm sure this was brought up already, but I seriously thought the Elwind spell was Monado Purge there when I first saw it. Sakurai trolling as usual, I guess. Fine by me though, him teasing newcomers usually means they're playable.

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
The day they reveal the Reyn assist trophy, with him saying "It's Reyn Time!"
No they will reveal a Call of Duty Dog trophy!

I'm not gonna get hype about that. We do that too often and get disappointed. I'm actually more hype to see what the playable roster is for the tournament.

If we get Shulk, I certainly won't be surprised if we see him next month, though. Like, before the CoroCoro article comes out. (On the 12th.)
Just remember. Don't expect Shulk, expect a Spoon as a newcomer.
Spoon scoops in!
I wouldn't hype myself up for this if I were you. I doubt that we will get anything here.
Hahaha. I know guys. But I'm really excited for their stream! Gonna watch it aaaaall day :D Like the Treehouse one.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of which, I'm sure this was brought up already, but I seriously thought the Elwind spell was Monado Purge there when I first saw it. Sakurai trolling as usual, I guess. Fine by me though, him teasing newcomers usually means they're playable.
I remember that I screamed "MONADO PURGE?!" when I saw Elwind. Come to think of it... perhaps that was intentional teasing? I rather not think too deep that he did...
Though, I'm not mad at all that we got Robin. He's a pretty damn awesome newcomer and one of the best that has been shown off so far.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
looks at dark pit and the pac man cloud in graninja's trailer

Edit: when is the stream btw and is it gonna be on nintendos twitch?

Last edited:

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
I remember that I screamed "MONADO PURGE?!" when I saw Elwind. Come to think of it... perhaps that was intentional teasing? I rather not think too deep that he did...
Though, I'm not mad at all that we got Robin. He's a pretty damn awesome newcomer and one of the best that has been shown off so far.
I'm convinced that was another "MEWTW- Oh, Greninja" moment to a lesser extent. Because in awakening wind spells look like wind. Those shots looked like crescents, the same motion Purge goes in. INTENTIONAL.
Nah, I'm probably overthinking it.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Yeah, I thought for just the slightest moment that Elwin was purge. Honestly with the Mewtwo tease in Greninja's trailer, I wouldn't put it past Sakurai that it was intentional.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I'm convinced that was another "MEWTW- Oh, Greninja" moment to a lesser extent. Because in awakening wind spells look like wind. Those shots looked like crescents, the same motion Purge goes in. INTENTIONAL.
no elwind actually looks the same as monado purge (this is coming from a guy who beat the hardest mode on awakening classic mode)

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
no elwind actually looks the same as monado purge (this is coming from a guy who beat the hardest mode on awakening classic mode)
I haven't played Awakening in a while. I swear they were swirly like wind though. I'll take your word for it.

SnapDrake_Games

Smash Apprentice
He did it with Palutena, he did it with Ridley. If he's doing it with Shulk, his chances are climbing even higher. All we need now is a pic of the day where he's like " Look at all these noble swordsmen. However, a similar weapon won't disqualify any newcomer."

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I haven't played Awakening in a while. I swear they were swirly like wind though. I'll take your word for it.
normal wind looks like it but elwind makes the same shape that purge makes before it is thrown at the enemy

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
I don't know. I was probably one of those that wasn't fooled about the Greninja trailer! I knew it was someone new and not Mewtwo. Then I saw the reaction videos and everyone thought it was him. I think there was a clear difference but hype probably triggered that.

With the Robin reveal. The moment the Elwind fired I immediately hoped it was going to be Shulk. But it wasn't and it was actually better than I expected!

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I don't know. I was probably one of those that wasn't fooled about the Greninja trailer! I knew it was someone new and not Mewtwo. Then I saw the reaction videos and everyone thought it was him. I think there was a clear difference but hype probably triggered that.

With the Robin reveal. The moment the Elwind fired I immediately hoped it was going to be Shulk. But it wasn't and it was actually better than I expected!
actually being a huge pokemon fan I am (I created the al mighty shulkle after all) I knew right away it was greninja when I seen him charging his attack

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
It is pretty suspicious that he used Elwind to introduce Robin though. Robin's signature tome is thunder, right? Hence, "Robin brings the thunder" and not "Robin blows everyone away" or something. Surely he did that on purpose. He knows that we know that he knows. Probably just trying to have fun with it, really... hopefully.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I didn't know what to think during the Greninja reveal. Certainly wasn't expecting what we got, but I wasn't sure if it was Mewtwo or someone else, my mind was too boggled by Solozard at the time.

He's teased Palutena hard, and here we are. I sincerely hope the same happens with Ridley, else I'm going to be very disappointed in the direction he took all of that.

And even though I know the Robin trailer was made long before the #MonadoMonday stuff or maybe even Gematsu Round #2, I think it still may have been an easy way to keep people guessing!

...Though honestly Shulk showing up in the same trailer as Lucina would have made none of the sense.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
It is pretty suspicious that he used Elwind to introduce Robin though. Robin's signature tome is thunder, right? Hence, "Robin brings the thunder" and not "Robin blows everyone away" or something. Surely he did that on purpose. He knows that we know that he knows. Probably just trying to have fun with it, really... hopefully.
he knows that we know what he knows so he uses what we know to make us think we know what he knows and my brain hurts

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
I leave for an hour and now I got a lot of catching up to do. I notice this board averages 10 pages a day now. That's awesome! Who know we may even catch up to K Rool.

Back to my point before I left. Thinking about it more this convinces me more than anything that Shulk is playable. If he wasn't playable they would of showed something Xenoblade related by now. Of course there's a tiny chance my pants could still be filled with salt (again) but this really has made me 99.9% certain he's in. Also with the CoroCoro book coming out soon, wouldn't it make sense to announce Shulk before that so he can be featured in the book? Since he's so requested?

Also, people, don't get your hopes up for Comic-Con. Remember #ShulkSunday?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well to be fair, Captain Falcon in Fire Emblem setting doesn't make that much sense either!
True, but I think in this case it's a difference between themes that fit newcomers (which are the highlight) and those that fit vets.

...That's not to say of course that Sakurai couldn't just reveal two unique newcomers at once in a long trailer down the line, but I think the newcomer focus was obviously on Fire Emblem from the start. Veterans are a bonus!

...Plus he probably wanted to show off how much of a badass Falcon was in trailer form, and both series had an anniversary this month. I dunno.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I highly doubt that was a tease towards Shulk. I thought it was quite obvious that it was an Elwind spell considering that the entire trailer was Awakening themed, and since they just revealed Lucina and Chrom was apparently killed by Captain Falcon, the most logical choice for a second newcomer reveal was Robin, who could use that sort of magic.

Really, I think the only reason people even considered that it was Monado Purge is because everyone was so sure that Shulk would be revealed and so hyped up for "Monado Monday" that it blurred their reasoning, even after the first few seconds of the trailer made it clear that Shulk was not the one who would be revealed.

D

Deleted member

I highly doubt that was a tease towards Shulk. I thought it was quite obvious that it was an Elwind spell considering that the entire trailer was Awakening themed, and since they just revealed Lucina and Chrom was apparently killed by Captain Falcon, the most logical choice for a second newcomer reveal was Robin, who could use that sort of magic.

Really, I think the only reason people even considered that it was Monado Purge is because everyone was so sure that Shulk would be revealed and so hyped up for "Monado Monday" that it blurred their reasoning, even after the first few seconds of the trailer made it clear that Shulk was not the one who would be revealed.
I thought it was Shulk because it looked like Monado Purge to me... Elwind and Monado Purge look pretty damn similar.
That and I didn't really remember what Elwind looked like. If I did, then I probably would have thought it was Robin.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I thought it was Shulk because it looked like Monado Purge to me... Elwind and Monado Purge look pretty damn similar.
That and I didn't really remember what Elwind looked like. If I did, then I probably would have thought it was Robin.
like I said only reason I knew right away it was robin was because of how huge of a FE fan I am I was able to tell it was elwind right away

same reason I knew greninja was in and not mewtwo right away was because of how huge of a pokemon fan I am

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Shouldn't the Awakening themed trailer have been a dead giveaway, though?

D

Deleted member

Shouldn't the Awakening themed trailer have been a dead giveaway, though?
I guess I was too hyped for Shulk, I'll admit that.
Though, again, I didn't really remember the animation for Elwind. I mostly remember the more powerful magic like Rexcalibur. Also, Awakening was my first Fire Emblem game, so I dunno if Elwind always animated like that.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains

Didn't think it was Purge because I almost never used it in-game and now I'm ashamed...

Edit: Also.... this....

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I may be digging to deep into this but, with Palutena he show a statue of her, and there was a pacman cloud in Greninja reveal, I think he doing the same thing with the tweets. Having the monolith soft staff tweet about directs and evens that have smash in it to hype people for shulk and then show someone else. I think he's trying to fake us out again.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I may be digging to deep into this but, with Palutena he show a statue of her, and there was a pacman cloud in Greninja reveal, I think he doing the same thing with the tweets. Having the monolith soft staff tweet about directs and evens that have smash in it to hype people for shulk and then show someone else. I think he's trying to fake us out again.
with sakuria we can't tell with him but I am sticking to my guns with Shulk being the last announced newcomer

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
...I still think people are looking way too deep when they're back to cloud theories. It was a pretty dumb idea in Brawl, and I can't say it's any different now.

But you know what? We'll never know either way, so I guess I can't say for sure!

I do think the "Tweets" theory is much more sound.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
...I still think people are looking way too deep when they're back to cloud theories. It was a pretty dumb idea in Brawl, and I can't say it's any different now.

But you know what? We'll never know either way, so I guess I can't say for sure!

I do think the "Tweets" theory is much more sound.
:mad088: Hey! The cloud theory in Brawl was actually correct, though!

...:troll:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom